FJs for the 9/19/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/19/16 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:52 pm

In 1948 he wrote he had an idea for a novel in which 2 guys hitchhike to California "in search of something they don’t really find"
80%
In 2015 this character was made an honorary citizen of Japan after over 60 years of residence there
64%
Embracing the future & new technology in 1962, Purdue established the 1st college department in the U.S. for this 2-word discipline
84%
The heroine of this opera sings, "If you come to give me, so cruel, your last goodbye, the dark vortex of the Nile will be my grave"
88%
The Zambezi River reaches the ocean in this country that lends its name to the body of water where it happens
49%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
24%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
FICTIONAL LANGUAGES $2000: You say "uncold" rather than "warm" in this language in "1984"
63%
MYTHOLOGY $2000: Loki & Heimdall kill each other in this final battle of the Norse gods, aka the day of doom
60%
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $1600: The oud, of the Middle East, is a member of this stringed instrument family with a 4-letter name
45%
Hello Kitty was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
16%
Astro Boy was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
1%
The discussion about Astro Boy helped me get that question right when it appeared later in Learned League.
9%
Information technology was my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
6%
I was incorrect by guessing harp or lyre for the MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS Daily Double.
36%
I was incorrect by guessing viol for the MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS Daily Double.
3%

Total votes: 118

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: FJs for the 9/19/16 week

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Should have had Kerouac--started thinking about Hunter S. Thompson and couldn't get back to Kerouac in time. Tanzania on Friday, which sounds plausible until you think about a lake reaching the ocean. Harp for lute.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I realize I should have suggested this in the regular game thread but,
I would have liked to see a poll question such as:
"I would have gotten Chris Farley relatively easy but when the wrong year-of-death was shown, it cast enough doubt that I clammed instead of answering."
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No idea Friday; by time I came up with an answer, I was on the wrong side of the continent and overlooked the "body of water" part and guessed Cote d'Ivoire.
I knew it wasn't doublespeak but couldn't get that out of my head in time.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

I was a little unnaturally obsessed with former Portuguese colonies at one point in middle school, so Friday was VERY instant! A rare 5/5 FJ week for me.
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OF COURSE I'm the only freaking 0/5.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I see Rackme32 is sticking to his guns that "Information Technology" was correct for Wednesday. The other five who answered IT marked themselves incorrect.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Lyre for lute. For the umpteenth time.

I saw the Astro Boy discussion, but it didn't help me with the LL question: I don't think the word manga was mentioned, so I was missing at least one critical link.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I see Rackme32 is sticking to his guns that "Information Technology" was correct for Wednesday. The other five who answered IT marked themselves incorrect.
He can stick to his guns, but he's in error. And this should be taken into account when (is it OrangeSAM?) calculates our board's true correct percentage for that FJ. There is no plausible argument for retroactively changing the name of the department that Purdue established in 1962. "Information technology," while it was a reasonable guess for that FJ, can conclusively be adjudicated an incorrect response to it. https://www.cs.purdue.edu/history/history.html Sometimes it's possible to speculate that an alternate response might have been accepted by J!'s judges if it had been made by a contestant on the show. This is not one of those times.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(