Monday, September 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7366, 2016-09-26

Seth Wilson game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Jocelyn Dorfman, an early childhood educator from Fairfax, Virginia
Dennis King, an attorney from Towson, Maryland
Seth Wilson, a Ph.D. candidate from Chicago, Illinois (whose 5-day cash winnings total $127,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. We are just two weeks into it, but already our returning champion, Seth, has help get this 33rd season off to a great start--not only for us, but for himself, as well. He's won a lot of money. But today is another day. Dennis and Jocelyn are hoping it's another day for them. Good luck. Here we go. Let's find out what today's categories are. For the first round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A CLOUDY CATEGORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE PRIOR WORLD LEADER (4/5)
INVENTION & INNOVATION (3/4)
COSMETICS (4/4)
SEAN CONNERY & BURT REYNOLDS (5/5)
MY OLD "PAL"S (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 10 R, 0 W
Dennis: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Jocelyn: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Seth: $4,200
Jocelyn: $1,800
Dennis: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jocelyn Dorfman is from Fairfax, Virginia--a place with a great deal of history. And as a matter of fact, when you were younger you worked at a Colonial farm?

Jocelyn: I did. I got involved because my second-grade teacher, Claire Bonner, brought one of the piglets into class. Um, so after that I got involved with and was a volunteer--apprentice at the farm for about seven years.

Alex: Did you have to wear colonial-type costumes?

Jocelyn: I had to wear the full thing--all hand-sewn, um, authentic shoes as possible. Even in the cold, I had a wool cloak, um, and we tended a tobacco farm.

Alex: Good for you. That must have been a lot of fun.

Jocelyn: It was, thank you.

Alex: Okay, Dennis King is an attorney from Towson, Maryland, and a prankster.

Dennis: I am.

Alex: I would hope you're not a prankster in court.

Dennis: Uh, not so much in court, 'cause that could get you in trouble.

Alex: Yeah.

Dennis: But, uh, to anybody I work with, live with, know as a friend, um, objects tend to disappear right while I'm talking to you. And, uh, my favorite, though...

Alex: Let me stand further away.

Dennis: I was gonna say. I was gonna ask you if you had your watch. Uh, the, uh, best is when you have a hypochondriac, and you can convince them that they have very loathsome disease and have them call their doctor and set up an appointment.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Our Ph.D. candidate champion is Seth Wilson who is writing a dissertation about...

Seth: 18th-century actresses and ideas of celebrity in the 18th century.

Alex: Wait a minute. Well, Sarah Bernhardt is not in that group because she's much later.

Seth: Yes.

Alex: Who are some of the 18th-century actresses whose names we might recognize?

Seth: Uh--the, um... another Sarah. A woman named Sarah Siddons.

Alex: That name I remember.

Seth: Yes, and then one of the most fantastic names from theater history, Ann Bracegirdle.

Alex: Is there a lot of scandal involved in that era with actresses?

Seth: A tremendous amount, even if it wasn't true.

Alex: Oh, that's the best kind.

Seth: Of course.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jocelyn found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Seth had $4,200, Dennis had $1,200, and Jocelyn was at $2,000. Jocelyn made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

A CLOUDY CATEGORY $600: Here is the cloud-filled "Empire of Light" by this Belgian surrealist
(Jocelyn: Who is Rubens?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PRIOR WORLD LEADER $1000: Before Angela Merkel (& we'll even give you his initials--G.S.)

A CLOUDY CATEGORY $1000: This 19th-century British artist was known for his cloud studies, as seen here

INVENTION & INNOVATION $600: Mixing slaked lime & volcanic ash, the Romans made use of this cement-based building material in monuments & roads

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Seth: $6,400
Dennis: $3,000
Jocelyn: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. LANDMARKS (5/5)
WOMEN GETTING PHYSICAL (4/5)
MORE POETRY, PLEASE (5/5) (Alex: You have to complete the line for us.)
THE SINGING "B" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EDUCATION (5/5)
LAST LETTER, FIRST LETTER (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words. The last letter of the first word will be the first letter of the second word.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 15 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Dennis: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jocelyn: 6 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Seth snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Seth had $20,000, Dennis had $9,000, and Jocelyn was at $5,400. Seth wagered $2,000.

THE SINGING "B" $800: allmusic.com says that before him, "it was inconceivable for a country artist to go multi-platinum"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Seth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Seth had $25,200, Dennis had $10,600, and Jocelyn was at $2,600. Seth wagered $200.

LAST LETTER, FIRST LETTER $1600: Proverbial time of youthful inexperience, croutons on the side

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN GETTING PHYSICAL $1200: When a female inspector slapped Mohamed Bouazizi in 2010, this "fragrant" Tunisian revolution was catalyzed

LAST LETTER, FIRST LETTER $2000: The Ancient Mariner tells his tale to this person, on the groom's side
(Jocelyn: I don't know.)
(Alex: Oh, that's too bad.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Seth: $25,400 (lock game)
Dennis: $10,600
Jocelyn: $600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Seth: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Dennis: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Jocelyn: You've no hope of catching up... unless Dennis does something stupid. So risk $599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This European company uses about 1% of the world's lumber each year; it aims to make that 100% sustainable by 2020

FINAL SCORES
Jocelyn: $600 - $100 = $500 (What are the Washington Nationals?) (3rd place)
Dennis: $10,600 - $0 = $10,600 (What is IKEA.) (2nd place)
Seth: $25,400 + $600 = $26,000 (What is IKEA?) (127701-day champion: $26,000)
(Alex: [To Jocelyn] Were you able to come up with a correct response? No, but you did come up with a tribute to I guess your favorite team, the Washington Nationals. Way to go.)
(Alex: [To Dennis] [*], the king of particle-board furniture, I think. You get to assemble it. It's fun.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Seth: $25,600, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Dennis: $10,600, 14 R, 0 W
Jocelyn: $2,600, 13 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Seth: 26/60 = .433
Dennis: 14/58 = .241
Jocelyn: 13/59 = .220
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INVENTION & INNOVATION $200: Percy Spencer got the idea to invent this type of oven after a magnetron melted his candy bar
(Jocelyn: What is a convection oven?)

A CLOUDY CATEGORY $200: Cloud computing holds onto your data with vast arrays or "farms" of these computers that process requests
(Jocelyn: What are supercomputers?)

MY OLD "PAL"S $600: A golden-coated horse with a white mane & tail
(Alex: Right, with a minute to go.)

MY OLD "PAL"S $800: It's the type of warehouse platform seen here

INVENTION & INNOVATION $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) Spiked teeth pull cotton fibers through a metal plate with slots, built too small to permit seeds to pass through in the 1794 invention of this man

INVENTION & INNOVATION $800: He was inducted into the Inventors' Hall of Fame for pioneering the solid-body electric guitar
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

EDUCATION $1200: (Hi, I'm Jill Biden.) In 2010 I hosted the first-ever White House summit on these post-secondary schools where I've taught for many years & which I've said are "America's best-kept secret"

U.S. LANDMARKS $400: Fort Point, seen here, was built between 1853 & 1861 to protect this bay
[Alex did not immediately recognize Jocelyn's correct response, which was somewhat slurred, prompting her to repeat the city name, just as Alex was about to prompt her.]

U.S. LANDMARKS $1600: Established in 1827, this fort in northeast Kansas is the oldest active Army post west of the Mississippi
(Jocelyn: What is Fort Knox?)

WOMEN GETTING PHYSICAL $2000: Noted activist Beate Klarsfeld was arrested in 1968 for slapping the chancellor of this country
(Jocelyn: What is Germany?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

THE SINGING "B" $1200: "Beer In The Headlights" is on the "Crash My Party" album from this country singer
(Jocelyn: Who is Blake Shelton?)

THE SINGING "B" $1600: Bob Geldof organized this British supergroup that sang the 1984 charity smash "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
(Jocelyn: Who are The B-52s?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(René) Magritte
Gerhard Schroeder
John Constable
concrete
Garth Brooks
salad days
the Jasmine Revolution
the wedding guest
IKEA
a microwave
servers
a Palomino
a pallet
Eli Whitney
Les Paul
community colleges
San Francisco Bay
Fort Leavenworth
West Germany
Luke Bryan
Band Aid
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This European company uses about 1% of the world’s lumber each year; it aims to make that 100% sustainable by 2020

Seth Wilson: 25400+600=26000 (6x = $153,700)
Dennis King: 10600+0=10600
Jocelyn Dorfman: 600-100=500

Correct response:
Spoiler
IKEA (Jocelyn – Washington Nationals)

Daily Doubles
Jocelyn: 2000-2000
Seth: 20000+2000
Seth: 25200+200

Coryats
Seth: 25600
Dennis: 10600
Jocelyn: 2600

Combined: 38,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What was that word in the $400 PAL box? Not one I've ever heard of.

For FJ, I was trying to think of some paper company. No guess.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Insta-Instaget FJ.

Alex was really hoping for a Cliff Clavin there apparently. "Boo hiss"ing a locked game?

I felt like the "pal" category was inverted in difficulty even though I swept it, with the Burt Reynolds category next to it for good measure.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Seth. There's still 3 or 4 champs I like better for the TOC, but that's 3 really impressive performances in a row and another lock.

I'll never be a clue writer. I wouldn't have given them Gerhard Schroeder's initials, and it would've been in the 400 box, tops. What do I know.

Super-instaget FJ. For some reason IKEA is almost always the first 'international business' that comes to mind, so I didn't even need to think about it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:What was that word in the $400 PAL box? Not one I've ever heard of.
Palliative. Palliative care means you're not trying to cure the patient, just trying to make him or her comfortable.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:What was that word in the $400 PAL box? Not one I've ever heard of.
Palliative. Palliative care means you're not trying to cure the patient, just trying to make him or her comfortable.
Yep ... never heard of that word before.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Very cool game. Congrats to Seth.
I really loved the Double Jeopardy board. Poetry (+ a bonus poetry clue in last letter - first letter) and Education --- superb categories.

And hats off to Dr. Jill Biden for spotlighting the 'best kept educational secret.' I attended my first two undergrad years at our local one and taught there later until my retirement in 2013.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MY OLD "PAL"S $200: Extreme paleness from sickness or fear

The correct response was pallor. My response was pallidness. Judges? Is my response even a real word?

Dennis was a remind-alike of Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan.

Credit to a certain Matthew Broderick movie for my getting NORAD.

During Seth's time between taping games he still has not grasped the concept of looking for that last DD to insure the runaway. He found the DD in THE SINGING "B" and then stayed in that category (Dennis was guilty as well) instead of going to LAST LETTER, FIRST LETTER that was guaranteed to have a DD.

As it turns out Seth found the last DD anyway. It was in the 1600 box with only the $2000 clue remaining. Seth led 25200 to 10600. If Dennis gets the $2000 clue that is 12600, so a max of 25200. Seth could put the game away as his $200 wager accomplished, but there was no lowball wager he could make to lock the match.

What Seth should have done earlier was bet more than $2000 in THE SINGING "B". He seems comfortable with pop culture type stuff and the letter hint begs for some extra oomph in the betting department.

The FJ! category had my FJ! streak (6 in a row) ending written all over it. The clue assured that prediction coming true. I got as close as paper when time ran out. From there I tried to picture the brand of paper in a ream I had sitting just above my eye level of my computer. I was thinking Hammerlich. It turned out to be Hammermill. And Hammermill is American. A solid miss all around.

When IKEA by Dennis was revealed my reaction was, "Ohhhhh" knowing that made a lot of sense and was very likely right.

Thank you to the bunker (I have all three bookmarked, so found it soon after the upload) for a pre-dinner viewing of J! which is far superior to the 10 p.m slot. Trump vs. Clinton or Falcons vs. Saints? Viewing choices, viewing choices. :)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I blurted out "Cannonball Run" for the Smokey and the Bandit clue.

This might be the type of mistake most likely to be made by people exactly my age, no older and no younger.

I was alive when those movies came out, but I was too young to see them, so I was vaguely aware of their existence, and I knew that they were both Burt Reynolds movies with large casts that involved vehicles of some kind traveling across the country.

People younger than me might not know either movie, and people older than me might be more likely to keep those two movies distinct in their heads, due to being old enough to pay a bit more attention.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:MY OLD "PAL"S $200: Extreme paleness from sickness or fear

The correct response was pallor. My response was pallidness. Judges? Is my response even a real word?
A quick google search finds 'pallidness' in 3 separate dictionaries, defined similarly enough to 'pallor' that I'd say count it.
Credit to a certain Matthew Broderick movie for my getting NORAD.

Easy get, but I remembered it as Stargate Command here. Completely forgot about WarGames.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never been in an IKEA store or seen any of their product. I knew they sold some type of furniture you assemble yourself and took a guess and got lucky.

I said pallid.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Were there really people last week saying Seth wasn't a good player on this board? He's looking confident, getting lots of hard questions, and a very tough out right now.

I got final, but I recently looked up TetraPak when I was trying to figure out how these plastic/cardboard containers could possibly be recyclable. Their web page had a statement about moving towards sustainable forestry, and the packages seem to be everywhere. I figured Jeopardy wouldn't ask the question (at least in that way) if TetraPak was the answer, and went for the more obvious Ikea.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I almost did an instacrash because I misread the FJ clue as "country" instead of "company." I reread it at the 15th second and got it right.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Agree 'pallidness' is acc. Ran "Pal' cat and the last > first letter cat. 43R, instaget FJ. Seth dominated these boards and is clearly becoming quite comfortable. Will be tough to unseat.

TS: Rene Magritte "Empire of Light" painting; Chancellor Schroeder; John Constable 'Clouds". I spent a lotta time looking at paint... :!: Also: Concrete > Rome; NO get on "Jasmine Revolution" and NHO "Salad days" learn something on J! every day! :) Hesitated on "Band Aid" thinking is it "Live Aid"? Drat it! Live Aid >1985 FOLLOWED Band Aid >1984, both conceived by Bob Geldorf as Ethiopian famine fundraisers. Tough stuff to keep straight! :twisted:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37/58 right.

Cloudy (1), World (4), Invent (3), Cosmetic (3), "Trebek's Archenemies" (5), Pals (3)
Landmark (4), Women (3), Poetry (3), Singing "B" (3), Education (3), Last, First Letter (2)

Lach Trash: Gerhard Schroeder, John Constable

Not instant, but Dad brought up furniture and IKEA was automatic after that.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Band Aid was a group. Live Aid was an event. Not tough to keep straight.

Especially when spotted the 'B'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
44 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: RTFQ
LT: Rene Magritte (DD), concrete

I yelled at my TV a lot when Seth stayed in The Singing "B" rather than going after that second DD. There's a lot to think about during a game of J!, but hunting down DD's is almost always Job One.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I almost did an instacrash because I misread the FJ clue as "country" instead of "company." I reread it at the 15th second and got it right.
I made the same mistake but didn't catch it. I'll blame it on feeling sick and having had a very stressful day. It would've been nice not to do it on an FJ! that's likely to poll around 95%, though.

I also cost myself $2000 with my response of "Gerhard Schroeding." Dangit.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Somehow I ran (4/4) the makeup category, don't know how I did that.
econgator wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Yep ... never heard of that word before.
I'm assuming you haven't been in a hospital anywhere near recently, or know people who work in one. (Or had elderly relatives placed in palliative care). Some combination of those got it for me.
MarkBarrett wrote:MY OLD "PAL"S $200: Extreme paleness from sickness or fear

"Pallid" here. Looks like I can count it!
MarkBarrett wrote:Dennis was a remind-alike of Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan.
He did remind me of someone, but I couldn't think of who. A distant part of me says that maybe there was someone like him / someone that was him at my audition. And if he wasn't from Maryland instead of the Midwest or Texas (where almost all my fellow auditioners were from) I'd think he was maybe from that group.
MarkBarrett wrote:When IKEA by Dennis was revealed my reaction was, "Ohhhhh" knowing that made a lot of sense and was very likely right.
Fortunately my "ohhhhhhh!" moment came ten seconds into the music. Don't know how I pulled that one off (and not 100% sure I would have under the lights).
MarkBarrett wrote:Thank you to the bunker (I have all three bookmarked, so found it soon after the upload) for a pre-dinner viewing of J! which is far superior to the 10 p.m slot. Trump vs. Clinton or Falcons vs. Saints? Viewing choices, viewing choices. :)
Yeah, if it comes down to Seth vs. Dennis vs. Jocelyn against Trump vs. Clinton against Falcons vs. Saints, it's a no brainer. Watch Seth vs. Dennis vs. Jocelyn.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012