Wednesday, September 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7368, 2016-09-28

Seth Wilson game 8.

CONTESTANTS
Harold Leff, a retired actuary from Bay Shore, New York
Erin Post, a statistician from Bettendorf, Iowa
Seth Wilson, a Ph.D. candidate from Chicago, Illinois (whose 7-day cash winnings total $166,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Although it was not a runaway for Seth in yesterday's game, he was leading going into Final Jeopardy! and that kind of intimidated one of his challengers who came up with the correct response but didn't have enough money at the end to replace him as champion. What's gonna happen today with Erin and Harold? We'll start finding out right now. Good luck. Players, here we go. And the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIECHTENSTEIN (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLLEGE FOOTBALL STADIUM NICKNAMES (5/5)
AMERICA SINCE 1900 (4/5)
YE OLDE JOB FAIRE (4/5)
A REAL BUSY BODY (5/5)
THAT'S T-B-D (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response beginning with a "T" and a "B" and a "D" will come later.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 13 R, 1 W
Erin: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Harold: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Seth: $3,600
Harold: $2,400
Erin: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our two challengers on the program today deal with figures, numbers. Harold Leff is a retired actuary. But I want to hear about your safari. If you're gonna go on a safari, there's no better place than Kenya and Tanzania.

Harold: Without question. Uh, we spent about the first seven or eight days in Kenya. And I was ready to go home, 'cause I thought we saw everything that there was to see. But then we crossed into the Serengeti, saw about three dozen lions laying on the rocks. And I thought that was the best that we were going to see. And then we caught the migration of the wildebeest. Just awesome. Uh, I can still see them jumping over the river.

Alex: Yeah. So, let's protect the wildlife.

Harold: Oh, absolutely.

Alex: All right, Erin Post is a statistician from bettendorf, Iowa. But this young lady is on a quest, ladies and gentlemen. Tell us about it.

Erin: Yeah, my husband, Riley, and I are on a quest to eat every Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor. So, we've had about 50 so far. And we started out really scientifically rating all of the flavors so we could find the best one, but ice cream is just delicious.

Alex: Mm. How many more do you have to go before you reach all of them?

Erin: You know, they're always changing, so I don't think we'll ever actually complete the quest.

Alex: That's the good news.

Erin: Yes.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Seth Wilson is our champion. Now, your mother has kind of a personal relationship with you as a contestant on Jeopardy!--

Seth: Yes.

Alex: But with a lot of the contestants on Jeopardy!

Seth: Yeah. Anytime she likes a, uh, Jeopardy! champion, she will call to tell me--to ask if I saw the show and to tell me, um, that she really likes them. Recent favorites included, uh, Buzzy and Andrew Pau and Philip from last season.

Alex: And hopefully she's been watching and enjoying your performance.

Seth: Oh, fingers crossed.

Alex: Okay. Good. That kind of mom, huh?

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Seth had $5,600, Erin had $3,600, and Harold was at $2,400. Erin wagered $3,000.

LIECHTENSTEIN $600: When Liechtenstin discovered that Haiti had an identical flag, it added a little one of these, as it's a principality
[ERRATUM: "Liechtenstein" was misspelled in the clue as shown.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT'S T-B-D $1000: This inn is found in "The Canterbury Tales" & today in Washington, D.C., where it's a favorite brunch spot

AMERICA SINCE 1900 $600: On Sept. 26, 1971 Nixon greeted this man in Anchorage, the first meeting of a U.S. president & a Japanese monarch

YE OLDE JOB FAIRE $1000: This word sounds like it applies to Noah, but it was a craftsman who made boxes or chests
(Seth: What is an ark builder?)

LIECHTENSTEIN $400: Sport of some Liechtenstein tourists & of Hanni Wenzel, who in 1980 brought her country its first Olympic gold

LIECHTENSTEIN $800: This capital of Liechtenstein is home to about 5,000 people

LIECHTENSTEIN $1000: In 1719 Liechtenstein was established within this empire that dissolved in 1806

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Erin: $6,600
Seth: $5,600
Harold: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC HOMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Also known as the "House of His Majesty", Fairfield House in England was the home of this African leader from 1936 to 1941

Seth Wilson: 17600+7601=25201 (8x = $191,701)
Erin Post: 12600-12599=1
Harold Leff: 4400+4400=8800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Haile Selassie (Erin - ?)

Daily Doubles
Erin: 3600+3000
Harold: 5200-2000
Seth: 15200+2000

Coryats
Seth: 16400
Erin: 10200
Harold: 6400

Combined: 33,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I had a coin flip for FJ between Haile Selassie and Idi Amin (aka "The Last King of Scotland"), and it came up the wrong way. Got confused by an old clue I'd just entered for the J-Archive, and didn't think Selassie went back that far. I chose...poorly.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tabard Inn was a huge difficulty spike.

NHO Freedom Rides. That seemed like a very generational clue.

Also NHO Agents of SHIELD.

Magna for summa cost me the run in Latin. Suggestions to keep them apart?

Clamming on javeling cost me the run in This & That.

Phantom of the Opera = Paris, huh?

Lach Trash: Happy Days, ballooning.

No guess on FJ! NHOI.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Magna for summa cost me the run in Latin. Suggestions to keep them apart?
summa ----> summit (although I'm pretty sure they aren't the same root)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Much faster rounds have run out of time with multiple clues left on the board (especially when they're sports-related :evil: :evil: ), but today, we finish both rounds without even a warning(?). Guess they really wanted to show us those Liechtenstein categories. Onscreen timer, please *grumble grumble*

My precalls when I saw the J! round Liechtenstein category: left for last, a clue asking for the capital, 2nd row, easy get. Er....2 out of 4 ain't bad :roll:

Potentially huge swing on that Tate clue; a neg gives Seth the lock, but her correct response brings her within 2/3...

...not that it mattered, since she made the usual suicide wager. Ho hum.

Not quite instaget, but close. '36 - '41 screamed Italy/Ethiopia. Just glad I didn't have to spell it.

I had my doubts about Seth in the beginning (and he needs to learn to hunt DDs before the TOC), but now he's legit scary. When he stops, nobody knows. Feel free to laugh if he loses tomorrow.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Magna for summa cost me the run in Latin. Suggestions to keep them apart?
And magna means great, which to me indicates superiority too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
And magna means great, which to me indicates superiority too.
Summit = top = most superior.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:I had a coin flip for FJ between Haile Selassie and Idi Amin (aka "The Last King of Scotland"), and it came up the wrong way. Got confused by an old clue I'd just entered for the J-Archive, and didn't think Selassie went back that far. I chose...poorly.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had Amin. For some reason, Selassie didn't occur to me in the 30 seconds, but then as soon as Alex mentioned the dates being important, it hit me.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: I had my doubts about Seth in the beginning (and he needs to learn to hunt DDs before the TOC), but now he's legit scary. When he stops, nobody knows. Feel free to laugh if he loses tomorrow.
This was the first game that he made the 'appropriate' FJ wager. It makes me think there was an odd break in the taping schedule for him to do some online research and strengthen his wagering strategy between games 7 and 8.

Only Lach Trash for me was Hirohito, Happy Days and Trap Door Spider.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Happy Days was a TS??!!??

:( :? :x :shock: :o :cry: :roll:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

It only just occurs to me now -- I think the Trap Door Spiders was the name of a group of writers that Isaac Asimov belonged to.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

46R, arrived at FJ after some musing... 1936-41... sounds like colonial warfare antecedent to WWII... Italy > Ethiopia... O! >> that king-dude that never died, Hail... Sal...assey!
So got clue in spite of NHO his visit to England as a guest of His Majesty Geo VI (Bertie), after Ed VIII abdicated.

LT: Canterbury Tales "Tabard Inn" (get from too much WOW playin!); arkwright; skiing; Vaduz; Holy Roman Empire. Also guessed "Islamabad' for Sirens of Baghdad;
get on Happy Days AFTER reveal, DOH!; NHO Berlin Alexanderplatz. Apparently this is a tangential reference to a Weimar Republic novel from 1929, that I also NHO, can it be a poll quiz please?!

Need to Read: Berlin Alexanderplatz, 1929 bei Alfred Doblin.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Horrible DD wagering by all 3 contestants yet again; I watched this with my mother, who is a statistician, and when the statistician was introduced, I turned to her and said "Watch her wager a wrong amount!" Sure enough...

Anyways, could have broken my record for LT if I was more alert for a couple of clues;

LT: Hirohito, arkwright, skiing, Vaduz, Baghdad, trapdoor spider

By the way, I'm astounded that a now 8-day champion didn't memorize capitals well enough to get "Vaduz". However, props to both Seth and one of the challengers for getting FJ.

Not only did I miss it, but I've never even heard of Selassie. Shows the gaps in my own knowledge.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: I had my doubts about Seth in the beginning (and he needs to learn to hunt DDs before the TOC), but now he's legit scary. When he stops, nobody knows. Feel free to laugh if he loses tomorrow.
This was the first game that he made the 'appropriate' FJ wager. It makes me think there was an odd break in the taping schedule for him to do some online research and strengthen his wagering strategy between games 7 and 8.
Yet if he had made the 'appropriate' wager prior, he'd have lost, what, twice?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The Lion of Judah was my instaget. Between the name of the location and the years, I couldn't think of anything else.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Yet if he had made the 'appropriate' wager prior, he'd have lost, what, twice?
Nah. Probably not. Once he lost the first time, he wouldn't have been back.

::ducks::

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I have a giant lithograph of Lichtenstein's "Whaam!" I got from the Tate, so there's no way I was missing that one.

Although I did scream at the TV when Vaduz and Holy Roman Empire were both TSs.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

goatman wrote: get on Happy Days AFTER reveal, DOH!; NHO Berlin Alexanderplatz. Apparently this is a tangential reference to a Weimar Republic novel from 1929, that I also NHO, can it be a poll quiz please?!

Need to Read: Berlin Alexanderplatz, 1929 bei Alfred Doblin.
Yes, of course I can honor the poll request even though part of me wants to negate it for the heresy of not getting the Happy Days clue. There often seems to be no doubt that if you ever get on the show it's going to be easy peasy pop culture that nails you.

Ballet's barre for $1000? Sacre-something!

The FJ! category had me thinking domestically with Graceland, places a Prez lived, Hef's place and Frank Lloyd Wright. The clue had me write Haile Selassie immediately going off 1936 and because of the number of times I've personally added him to the Archive there was no doubt about the spelling.

During think time I made sure that there was no way I was overlooking Amin as a possibility. I've seen The Last King of Scotland, so no way he fit. Idi Amin might be a poll choice though based on early returns.

I've seen two mentions of NHO Selassie. Yes, it's a shame he never comes up on J! He was overdue tonight having been about 15 games since his previous appearance. :) http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Seth makes things harder on himself than need be. 2nd box DD? Come on, that calls for more than $2000 even if it is Roy Lichtenstein. Of course the correct response was going to be pop art. For a guy with good buzzer mojo you don't let the challenger snag the last $2000 clue to change some of the wagering scenarios.

Erin played better than the $1 final score and $1000 consolation prize may indicate. So far this season I'm enjoying the pool of players Maggie & Co. have put on the show.

Going back to week one, I rounded up a copy of Scott Bateman's Disalmanac book and that thing is great reading with many laughs.