Tuesday, October 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7377, 2016-10-11

WE ASKED: Meet the Press host Chuck Todd.

CONTESTANTS
Kalen Meine, a bartender from Littleton, Colorado
Alice Emerson, a communications manager from Oreland, Pennsylvania
Pidge Meade, a technical writer and actress from Pacifica, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. When you come to Jeopardy! as a contestant, you come here with three wishes. First, you don't want to embarrass yourself. Secondly, you want to do well. And third, you want to win. Pidge on yesterday's program accomplished all three. Alice and Kalen, could happen to you too. Good luck. Here we go.

Let's see what happens with these categories in the first round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BRIDGE TO SOMEWHERE (3/4)
ONE-WORD FILM TITLES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEY COME IN THREES (5/5)
RUSSIAN FIRST NAME'S THE SAME (3/5)
HOMOPHONIC DUOS (4/5)
FAIR FARE (5/5) (Alex: After all, it's state fair time. Whatcha gonna eat when you go there?)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kalen: 9 R, 0 W
Alice: 10 R, 1 W
Pidge: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pidge found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Pidge had $400, Alice was scoreless, and Kalen was at $200. Pidge wagered $1,000.

ONE-WORD FILM TITLES $600: Ice Cube gave rise to a catchphrase with the dismissive "Bye, Felicia" in this 1995 comedy
(Pidge: What is Barbershop?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alice: $3,600
Kalen: $2,400
Pidge: -$1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kalen Meine is a bartender from Littleton, Colorado, who has built a collection of puppets for a musical that is a cult favorite. I want to hear about it.

Kalen: Yes. It's for Little Shop of Horrors.

Alex: Ooh.

Kalen: I had a music teacher who ran a summer theater program and always enlisted me to do the peculiar jobs. And so bit off a little more than I could chew, and built a set of puppets. The largest is 12 feet tall--

Alex: Oh!

Kalen: Takes 6 people to run, and picks people up and they go down the slide to backstage.

Alex: That's kind of neat.

Alex: Alice Emerson. Communications manager from Pennsylvania. I have visited Philadelphia on a number of occasions, and you work at a museum that I am not familiar with.

Alice: Yeah, it's the children's museum in Philadelphia. It's called the Please Touch Museum.

Alex: Ah, that's why I'm not familiar with it.

Alice: Yeah, and we cater to children 0 through 7 years old, and actually, this year, we're celebrating our 40th anniversary. This month, in fact.

Alex: What are some of the things that they're encouraged to touch?

Alice: We have a little mini-hospital where they can give each other MRIs.

Alex: Oh, good.

Alice: It's great.

Alex: Fun stuff. Okay.

Alex: Pidge Meade is our champion. Talking about show business. You're currently working on a one-woman show with a very long title.

Pidge: It is. It's called Bourbon, Cribbage, and Death: A Musical Cabaret.

[Laughter]

Alex: Featuring the music of...

Pidge: Of me. I'm actually writing the songs myself. And uh, yeah, it's actually the story of me and my mom, and our journey as mother-daughter and what it's like to grow up as women 40 years apart in this country.

Alex: Great. So it's relevant to a great section of the audience out there.

Pidge: I think so.

Alex: Yes indeed. All right. Let's get back into this.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A BRIDGE TO SOMEWHERE $600: We will largely note and long remember Sachs Bridge in this city used by both Union and rebel troops
(Pidge: What is Appomattox?)

HOMOPHONIC DUOS $1000: An umbilicus for a midshipman or admiral

RUSSIAN FIRST NAME'S THE SAME $600: Gromyko & Sakharov

RUSSIAN FIRST NAME'S THE SAME $1000: Shcharansky & Karpov

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kalen: $5,200
Alice: $5,000
Pidge: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY & LANGUAGE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The world's busiest container port, its name is also an English verb with criminal overtones

Pidge Meade: 15200-1800=13400 (2x = $31,001)
Alice Emerson: 8400-0=8400
Kalen Meine: 15600-15600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Shanghai (Pidge – Alcatraz) (Alice – Steal Port) (Kalen – Lift)

Daily Doubles
Pidge: 400-1000
Alice: 7000+3000
Pidge: 3000+3000

Coryats
Pidge: 14400
Alice: 6600
Kalen: 15600

Combined: 36,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Way to go, Pidge! All in on the DD and a savvy wager from second. Nice to see good play rewarded.

As far as the clues, why oh why couldn't Justin Bieber and Beyonce have recorded a song called, "Oooh, Sorry"?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, I got Bridge for $200. Home team advantage didn't help me on Birch, though.

NHO the movie "Friday".

So I'm supposed to know what happens in a triathlon why?

I can never remember isosceles for some reason. I think what gums me up is that I keep thinking scalene is the one with two equal sides.

Naval navel was my only miss in Homophonic. I was trying to turn "umbilical cord" and "Belly button" into homophones. Hate it when I'm right on top of it but still not there.

NHO funnel cakes or rocky road apples; also didn't get churros even though I have eaten them.

I was not expecting to run the Psychology category.

Also NHO Edith Wharton to my knowledge, yet somehow I got Charlotte Bronte and The Prophet.

Blanked on "femme" because "madame" snuck into my head and I couldn't fit it with "Fatale". Also didn't take the guess on "Commune" because I had no idea what it had to do with French.

Lach Trash again: "Sorry".

No guess on FJ! The hell is a container port? Shanghai is a verb?! What a garbage clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not so much as a guess for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:Way to go, Pidge! All in on the DD and a savvy wager from second. Nice to see good play rewarded.

As far as the clues, why oh why couldn't Justin Bieber and Beyonce have recorded a song called, "Oooh, Sorry"?
That was a contrast of DDs that Pidge played going from the miss on Friday to the double up on the Petula Clark song, "Downtown."

Pidge made $13,400 the hard way with the comeback, true DD and savvy wagering in the FJ! round.

Kalen played better than $1000/3rd place would indicate, but them's the breaks on an 0/3 FJ! clue.

The FJ! clue was a quick get for me once I dismissed the first port city that came to mind, Rotterdam. I took a San Francisco history class in college, so once I thought of the Chinese city I was sure I was right.

On a scale of offensive names from Barbarian to the N word where does the correct response fall?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

From deader than dead to 2-day champ (and didn't make the suicide wager in FJ either). Not too shabby.

Barely, and I mean just BARELY pulled Shanghai out of my...brain...with a second to spare. But I have a blazing pen hand so I could've written it in time, yesiree.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I'd like a see a poll on who got "Friday" for the first DD. Seemed a bit tough for the $600 spot, but I got it because it's one of my favorite movies.

Took me a while but I did get Shanghai.

Very good wagering from Pidge which helped her comeback.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jpr281 wrote:I'd like a see a poll on who got "Friday" for the first DD. Seemed a bit tough for the $600 spot, but I got it because it's one of my favorite movies.

Took me a while but I did get Shanghai.

Very good wagering from Pidge which helped her comeback.
Sure, I can poll Friday although I may relegate it to an extra slot and not one of the three usual extra clues. I've seen the movie, but it's been over 20 years. The best I could get to recalling it was to make House Party one word. Unlike "Keep Calm and Carry On" I have heard the line "Bye, Felicia" numerous times in 2016 from more than once source.

I can't fairly judge whether 3rd box was fair although I can't imagine any objecting if it had been in the $800 or $1000 placement either. It's making it the Daily Double clue that seems more head scratching with the "Downtown" making it 2 of 3 more on the fun side of things and less on the academic side like the Currer Bell one.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Had some trouble parsing the FJ clue, but started running down major ports in Asia after coming up blank in the US and UK and made the Shanghai connection.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

This is the kind of question I might have gotten in LL with an unlimited time limit, but no such luck here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Spoiler

Kalen lost a 50/50/90. :lol:
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Got FJ with about 3 seconds to spare. Kept thinking of US ports, and it was almost immediate when I moved over to Asia.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

39R, get FJ; LT: naval navel. Pretty well-played but gosh the gentleman bet the farm and went out with 0! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:39R, get FJ; LT: naval navel. Pretty well-played but gosh the gentleman bet the farm and went out with 0! :o
No. He got $1000. The exact same amount he would have had had he wagered not a penny more than the MSB.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37/59 right.

Bridge (3), Film (5), Threes (3), Russian (3), Duos (2), Fair (2)
Authors (3), Trees (3), Psychology (2), Songs (3), "MM" (4), Meet the Press (4)

Lach Trash: Gettysburg, Blue Monday; DD: Friday

No idea for FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how is it I understood the "Big brother is watching you" and RadioShack clues, but I couldn't even understand this one?
clprez

Post by clprez »

I got lucky in FJ because I went to China first because I figured that since China manufactures so much of the world's goods that they must use lots of container ships. Then I thought of Shanghai right away, since it fit the clue.

Usually on clues that require going through a list of things, I'm always starting as far away from the answer as possible.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

clprez wrote:I got lucky in FJ because I went to China first because I figured that since China manufactures so much of the world's goods that they must use lots of container ships. Then I thought of Shanghai right away, since it fit the clue.

Usually on clues that require going through a list of things, I'm always starting as far away from the answer as possible.
I made it to China after a few seconds just for this reason. As soon as I got to Shanghai I though "oh, yeah, of course!"

I taped with this group. Kalen was really sharp in rehearsals.