Friday, October 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Sherm »

Goofy board. The first 8 rows were not that bad, I got 33 correct, but I got slammed on 1600 and 2000, only getting one clue "foreign Affairs" in the China category, though Environment at 2000 was a gimme I clammed on. It didn't help that I negged on another 2000 clue, and had the lowest coryat of this season by a pretty wide margin.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

opusthepenguin wrote:
harrumph wrote:We should do a poll on what Mark Barrett should poll on.
That's a terrible idea. Somebody should make a poll so I can vote against it.
It'll be rigged just like every poll! Sad!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

zakharov wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
harrumph wrote:We should do a poll on what Mark Barrett should poll on.
That's a terrible idea. Somebody should make a poll so I can vote against it.
It'll be rigged just like every poll! Sad!
Will this be a poll of all registered boardies, or just likely voters?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

IronNeck wrote:
ZachTheRiah wrote:Was it just me who said PER-SON-I-FI-CA-TION for the $1600 clue in the 6-syllable category?
No, you're not. I had the exact same reply.
Me too!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I think Alex's intonation for some reason helped me get to the correct Final response.

While I said "Affairs" too thanks to the TOM, I'm wondering if "Relations" ("Foreign Relations") would also count for the $1600 clue in CHINA CABINET. "Foreign affairs" and "foreign relations" mean roughly the same thing, and a wife would worry if her travelling husband is having affairs with other women and if he is having relations with other women.
Molecular Bacon wrote: For some reason the Harry Potter category was surprisingly tough for us. I kept going back to it because I'm big Harry Potter fan and kept thinking the next one would be obvious, but my brain just wasn't unscrambling those letters.
Not a Harry Potter fan (though I got a couple, my Harry-Potter loving almost-12-year-old son was interested, but he couldn't anagram good enough), but I was hoping someone would go back for the $200 because that would, logically be the easiest/obvious one.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Same thing with the other DD. I knew "Oh, not Macbeth, the other one that kind of has a similar name".
They don't have similar names at all, but you will get sympathy from me in that I also often get those plays mixed up, and I have no idea why. However, I'm slowly being able to fix that, as my correct response today reveals.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote:I had "mushrooms" for "truffles" on the very first clue of the game. Judges?
They're both fungi, but what makes you think they're the same?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Same thing with the other DD. I knew "Oh, not Macbeth, the other one that kind of has a similar name".
They don't have similar names at all, but you will get sympathy from me in that I also often get those plays mixed up, and I have no idea why. However, I'm slowly being able to fix that, as my correct response today reveals.
That's more where I was going. I have a basic idea of what both are, but for some reason my wires got crossed that time. Which is weird since usually I can keep them straight.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
They both have one word two-syllable titles. The vowel sounds are almost identical for each syllable. They both end in a T sound, though in one case it's aspirated. I declare Hamlet and Macbeth to be more similar sounding than any other pair of Shakespeare plays, excluding plays that are differentiated only by Roman numerals.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Among my LT was William Cullen Bryant. I gave a presentation on "Thantatopsis" in my 11th grade English class; and years later, when I played in a celebrity death pool, "Thanatopsis" was my username. :)
That reminds me: I said Edward Cullen Bryant (combining him with the Twilight character). :mad: I have a mnemonic to make sure I don't get my William _____ Bryan(t)s confused, but it only keeps their last names straight and assumes I've got the rest worked out. (PoliticiaN = BryaN; poeT = BryanT.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

davey wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I had "mushrooms" for "truffles" on the very first clue of the game. Judges?
They're both fungi, but what makes you think they're the same?
My very low food & drink percentage in LL. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,600
39 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Severus Snape, John Fogerty (DD)

Strangely, both of my negs were in Musicians' Memoirs, as I guessed Aretha instead of Carole King and the wrong member of Chic (Toni Thompson instead of Nile Rodgers). I also still haven't learned Stanislavsky, as "the acting method guy" was the best I could come up with there.

I love that Susan got Captain Ahab while wearing a helm on her chest, but what the what is she doing offering ties? Would that this were a sign TPTB have quietly rescinded the no ties rule.
Sprinkles are for winners.