Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman wrote:I had the East India Tea Company for FJ.
That's the response I was trying to conjure but was vapor locking on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote:Got FJ based on maritime, the 1688 date, and the hint that the business is still around. The coffee house hint was a diversion. Never heard of the champion's answer.
Twining's is another tea brand.
I think he was talking about the Mermaid Tavern answer. I read "the champion's" and inferred "returning" instead of "eventual."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

They're still around?? :o
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

It looks like the writers intended "their" to refer to "maritime folk," where the players read it as referring to the coffee shop. Not a fatal flaw in the clue, but strange that all three players would misread it the same way.

Kudos to the players for coming up with English tea connections I hadn't heard of (Tetley was the only name I recognized).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DadofTwins wrote:It looks like the writers intended "their" to refer to "maritime folk," where the players read it as referring to the coffee shop. Not a fatal flaw in the clue, but strange that all three players would misread it the same way.

Kudos to the players for coming up with English tea connections I hadn't heard of (Tetley was the only name I recognized).
I wonder, if you're going to apply 'their' to the coffee shop, wouldn't that lead you to come up with still existing coffee companies? Explicitly including coffee seems like an effort to point you away from 'tea' related answers.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Woof wrote:
yeah, Mr. Woof's inference is why that was one I dismissed after latching onto Lloyd's so early.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

Frank Hardy wrote:A standing ovation for Ellen for making a rational wager from third place in FJ.
Hear, hear! I don't make rational wagers, never have, never will, and I'm okay with that. I'm all about "go big or go home," only sometimes that will end up being "go big AND go home." Looking forward to watching Ellen tonight.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

MarkBarrett wrote:
alietr wrote: And she wasn't out in Left Field with the Mermaid Tavern: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_Tavern
Emily: Welcome and was there some kind of edit with your interview story? I thought I noticed a jump at the end.

Or perhaps the writers knew they needed to shave time to make sure all the sacred clues got in from Gilligan's Island. I know already by reading posts here I was not alone in wanting to play all five there and it didn't look hopeful at the end of the round.

If Ellen's raft/call of nature story was day one then I'm not even sure I want to know what makes day two. Or is that number two? [ducks]
Yes, there was an edit; trust me, it was for the best. Ellen's story cracked me up at the time, but I couldn't remember what she talked about until I saw it, because the whole thing is such a blur. I actually remembered an entire category as being on last night's show when it was actually on my first show. We were good on time for finishing the board even without that edit, unless they do a quick verbal edit from the booth when they calculate the warning signals.

I had a moment on the Gilligan's Island clue where I dropped precious seconds in asking for the next clue because I was remembering the last time I talked about the connection between Newton Minow and the Minnow from the show. I was talking to an American Studies professor and Newton Minow came up and I offhandedly mentioned the connection, and she reprimanded me for thinking that the Gilligan's Island people could have done that on purpose. Because...well, I'm not sure why she was so sure it was just a coincidence. It was so specific, and so recent, that the whole thing literally gave me pause. I'm glad we managed to get the board cleared despite my slow slow slowness!
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Ditto, even though I was pretty sure it was wrong.
Volante wrote:Twining's is another tea brand. I had to snicker at it; I have a Twining's Earl Gray in the morning as I watch the previous day's Jeopardy. :lol: (I'll likely have to bring along a couple packets if(when?) I get The Call.)
Twinings Earl Grey is my personal favorite as well, closely followed by their Prince of Wales tea. I nearly always carry some with me when I travel as good tea can be hard to find in a nation of coffee drinkers.

She wasn't too far off on the year. Twinings was founded in 1706 when Mr. Twinings opened a shop on The Strand in London. I know that because it's printed on every box. :)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Volante wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:It looks like the writers intended "their" to refer to "maritime folk," where the players read it as referring to the coffee shop. Not a fatal flaw in the clue, but strange that all three players would misread it the same way.

I wonder, if you're going to apply 'their' to the coffee shop, wouldn't that lead you to come up with still existing coffee companies? Explicitly including coffee seems like an effort to point you away from 'tea' related answers.
Why would "their" (plural) apply to "coffee shop" (singular) in any case?

If the writers had meant to refer to the coffee shop, the clue would have had to be worded differently anyway -- "Still in existence, it begin in 1688 in a British coffee shop popular with maritime folk; it soon got involved in its business" would have been even more confusing, with all those its.

Rex
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

RJL wrote:I had a moment on the Gilligan's Island clue where I dropped precious seconds in asking for the next clue because I was remembering the last time I talked about the connection between Newton Minow and the Minnow from the show. I was talking to an American Studies professor and Newton Minow came up and I offhandedly mentioned the connection, and she reprimanded me for thinking that the Gilligan's Island people could have done that on purpose. Because...well, I'm not sure why she was so sure it was just a coincidence.
Emily, I didn't get to watch either of your episodes, but I totally want to meet you now because (a) you knew this story, and (b) you served it up to your American Studies professor. And she didn't believe you! Obviously U.S. higher education is a vast wasteland!

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Of course they left out the most crucial question from Gilligan's Island: Ginger or Mary Ann?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I understood what the "their" was referring to in FJ, but couldn't come up with anything that I thought was a reasonable answer. The "maritime" hint led me toward fishermen, rather than shipping, so insurance never even occurred to me. I was trying to think of a seafood-related brand that could have been around for over 300 years, something like StarKist Tuna, Chicken of the Sea, Gorton's...and that was about all the fish related companies that I could think of, and I didn't really think any of those were likely to have been around for that long, let alone have originated in England. So I went back to the coffee shop, and tried to think of a coffee brand that may have originated in England, and failing that, like 2 of the contestants I went with tea, and the answer I wrote down was Earl Grey. I wasn't even sure if Earl Grey was a company name, or just a flavor of tea, but I really couldn't think of anything else remotely plausible. While the contestants probably didn't go the exact same route that I did, it is possible that they also struck out on the maritime reference, and therefore were only left with the coffee shop reference to come up with an answer.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

After two weeks of ToC, these regular boards were a breeze: 26/0, 21/1. Agree with Vanya on the Rosie O'Donnell clue.

FJ--missed the implication they were still around, answered British East India Company.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Paucle wrote:
Woof wrote:
yeah, Mr. Woof's inference is why that was one I dismissed after latching onto Lloyd's so early.
Add me to the list of those who went E. India since I really had no idea.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

DBear wrote:After two weeks of ToC, these regular boards were a breeze: 26/0, 21/1. Agree with Vanya on the Rosie O'Donnell clue.
I forgot that Rosie O'Donnell was ever on The View. And her various enterprises and media feuds have sort of overshadowed her Broadway accomplishments in my mind. Oddly, when I tried out, I only got two wrong on the written test, and one of them had to do with the panelists The View. I should've borne that in mind.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

John Boy wrote:Also on FJ, I remembered reading something in recent months on this subject (can't imagine what or under what circumstances I would have been reading it, though) which made FJ an instaget for me. My wife was so impressed that she suggested maybe some day I should try to get on the show.

:? :roll:
I heartily endorse your wife's suggestion. It's a great experience.
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

At my taping a few weeks ago, Maggie mentioned during her pre-game speech that there was one recent contestant, an older lady, who was convinced that she just could not keep up with the competition on the signalling button. She said her knowledge was absolutely up to the task, but it was her reflexes that she thought would let her down. As Maggie tells it, the lady did something partway through the game, such as swapped to her off-hand or adjusted her grip on the button, that made a big difference in her reaction time, and in fact she ended up winning her game. Now that I'm caught up on all the episodes I had saved up in the DVR, I'm wondering if it isn't Ellen that Maggie's been talking about.
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

dmleach wrote:At my taping a few weeks ago, Maggie mentioned during her pre-game speech that there was one recent contestant, an older lady, who was convinced that she just could not keep up with the competition on the signalling button. She said her knowledge was absolutely up to the task, but it was her reflexes that she thought would let her down. As Maggie tells it, the lady did something partway through the game, such as swapped to her off-hand or adjusted her grip on the button, that made a big difference in her reaction time, and in fact she ended up winning her game. Now that I'm caught up on all the episodes I had saved up in the DVR, I'm wondering if it isn't Ellen that Maggie's been talking about.
It seems to me that I remember Maggie telling us that anecdote before Ellen Lewis was in the contestant pool. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of a chance to chat with Ellen before she beat my pants off, but I really thought she was v.v. cool. Since Will and I were the two holdovers from the previous day's taping, I did have extensive conversations with him. He, his wife, and his father in law very graciously gave me a lift from the studio back to the hotel at the end of the first day when I was a little embarrassed for cab money. I have to say, I wasn't happy to have lost but I am glad it was to such gracious competitors as Ellen and Will.

I am looking forward to your appearance!
dmleach
Damn Jeopardy! Hooligan

Post by dmleach »

RJL wrote:It seems to me that I remember Maggie telling us that anecdote before Ellen Lewis was in the contestant pool. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of a chance to chat with Ellen before she beat my pants off, but I really thought she was v.v. cool.
Oh, I bet! She actually reminded me of my favorite teacher: Mrs. Bloomer, who I had for junior year math. She's the person who taught me calculus, which I found absolutely fascinating. I'd have talked poor Ellen's ear off if we'd been contestants together.
RJL wrote:I have to say, I wasn't happy to have lost but I am glad it was to such gracious competitors as Ellen and Will.
I'll be the first to say that the thing I least expected in going to be a contestant was making new friends. The people I played with were some of the most amazing, friendly, brilliant people you could ever hope to run across.
RJL wrote:I am looking forward to your appearance!
Thank you so much, and thanks for posting here on the boards! It's wonderful that we get so many contestants here to share their stories.