Thursday, October 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 20, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by 9021amyers »

We've had a lot of shows recently where all of the contestants would have grown up in the '90s; today's wasn't one of them, and that Hocus Pocus clue went sadly unanswered.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I thought that this was a pretty ugly game in all, with lots of negs and quite a few TSs. When only one person got what I felt was a slam dunk FJ, that just confirmed it.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Woof wrote:I thought that this was a pretty ugly game in all, with lots of negs and quite a few TSs. When only one person got what I felt was a slam dunk FJ, that just confirmed it.
And a lot of very delayed buzz-ins and rebounds, beginning with the simple "iceberg lettuce".
9021amyers wrote:We've had a lot of shows recently where all of the contestants would have grown up in the '90s; today's wasn't one of them, and that Hocus Pocus clue went sadly unanswered.
That one cracked me up, as a lot of people I know who can answer no more than 10 questions a night would get it in their sleep. I think it's still easy even if you weren't a kid in the 90s to get...provided one is good at movies! Which none of the contestants today were, a fact reinforced from when no one rebounded with Letters from Iwo Jima after the very forgivable Flags of Our Fathers neg.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote:
Woof wrote:I thought that this was a pretty ugly game in all, with lots of negs and quite a few TSs. When only one person got what I felt was a slam dunk FJ, that just confirmed it.
And a lot of very delayed buzz-ins and rebounds, beginning with the simple "iceberg lettuce".
9021amyers wrote:We've had a lot of shows recently where all of the contestants would have grown up in the '90s; today's wasn't one of them, and that Hocus Pocus clue went sadly unanswered.
That one cracked me up, as a lot of people I know who can answer no more than 10 questions a night would get it in their sleep. I think it's still easy even if you weren't a kid in the 90s to get...provided one is good at movies!
I'll have to do my best TPH impression and admit I don't even remember that movie whatsoever. I'm definitely not good at movies, though.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
That one cracked me up, as a lot of people I know who can answer no more than 10 questions a night would get it in their sleep. I think it's still easy even if you weren't a kid in the 90s to get...provided one is good at movies!
I'll have to do my best TPH impression and admit I don't even remember that movie whatsoever. I'm definitely not good at movies, though.
You Michiganders.... it helps that my son saw the movie last week at a friend's house.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

For those familiar with the history of Akitas in the United States, the clue about the dog might have primed you for FJ:
Spoiler
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

naurae29 wrote:For those familiar with the history of Akitas in the United States, the clue about the dog might have primed you for FJ:
Spoiler

I said "shiba inu" instead. I'm not good at telling dogs apart.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

OSXpert wrote:
naurae29 wrote:For those familiar with the history of Akitas in the United States, the clue about the dog might have primed you for FJ:
Spoiler

I said "shiba inu" instead. I'm not good at telling dogs apart.
Akitas are known for that curly tail. You might remember this shiba inu:

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Yep, thats the only reason I know that name! :oops:
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

I was deeply disappointed by the three blank stares on the Beethoven 4th Symphony question. There are so few Jeopardy! questions about classical music, and with this one failing big, I suspect we'll be seeing an even worse pop music bias in the future.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Spoiler
So, she had a dog named Kamikaze given to her by the Japanese government in 1938? Wow, talk about truth being stranger than fiction.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

lbligh wrote:I suspect we'll be seeing an even worse pop music bias in the future.
Sounds good to me!
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
lbligh wrote:I suspect we'll be seeing an even worse pop music bias in the future.
Sounds good to me!
There are so many kinds of music, but I've never noticed any shortage of classical music clues on the show. In any case, there's no reason to believe the number will drop. The average J! contestant is terrible on theater categories. Case in point tonight: Three players not able to identify Hello, Dolly when spotted Dolly...Yet the clues keep coming!

Another Dickinson to Keller here...

EDIT: Sorry - they were spotted "the matchmaking Mrs. Levi." Not much harder, really.
Last edited by davey on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This time of year, Hocus Pocus runs almost constantly on what used to be ABC's Family Channel (or whatever it was called and is now "Freeform") on "13 Nights of Halloween" for at least the last decade. So, anyone who remembered it from the early 90s - or who had kids in the last 10 years or more - it's hard to miss. It's also a cult classic of a sort - or maybe better described as a popular guilty pleasure. But, it's pretty well known in terms of pop culture, so it was a very surprising stand and stare.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Being an avid disliker of poetry, I have zero idea on what Dickinson might have said or wrote about death... So she never crossed my mind, and never does.

So, I saw the part of the quote about how she would be able to see in that "other room", and went right to Keller.

Kicking myself <hehe> over Mr. Miyagi, have seen that movie at least a few times, couldn't pull the character name.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
44 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: photosphere, Abraham, Damascus, Henry Hudson, Miyagi, Aging, Hocus Pocus

The tiebreaker is a lie.
Sprinkles are for winners.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

davey wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sounds good to me!
There are so many kinds of music, but I've never noticed any shortage of classical music clues on the show. In any case, there's no reason to believe the number will drop. The average J! contestant is terrible on theater categories. Case in point tonight: Three players not able to identify Hello, Dolly when spotted Dolly...Yet the clues keep coming!

EDIT: Sorry - they were spotted "the matchmaking Mrs. Levi." Not much harder, really.
In the heat of the moment it was pretty was pretty easy to go to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RWrLZb5N8
davey

Post by davey »

harrumph wrote:
davey wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sounds good to me!

In the heat of the moment it was pretty was pretty easy to go to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RWrLZb5N8
'Not if you know anything about either show. Which was my only point, really. J! contestants - in general - don't. Even when the shows've been made into well known movies.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Spoiler
So, she had a dog named Kamikaze given to her by the Japanese government in 1938? Wow, talk about truth being stranger than fiction.
According to the links on the Wikipedia page, it was named after the typhoon, not the WWII bombers. (Although the bombers were also named after the typhoon). I don't think the term was popularly used for the bombers until Pearl Harbor.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:I don't think the term was popularly used for the bombers until Pearl Harbor.
Quite a bit later than that, I would think. Japan didn't start using kamikaze bombers until late in the war as a last-ditch effort.