Monday, October 31, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 31, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TECHNOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2005 Steve Jobs used "It’s sort of like TiVo for radio" to describe this new form

Julia Lee: 11000-6601=4399
Jon Frank: minus 400
Thea Lawton: 13200+11200=24400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
podcasting (Julia – iTunes)

Daily Doubles
Thea: 600-1000
Thea: 6000+2000
Thea: 9200-4000

Coryats
Julia: 11000
Jon: minus 400
Thea: 17000

Combined: 27,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: Monday, October 31, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you to the bunkermaster for allowing me to see the game before dinner, the Vikings vs. Bears, and the trick-or-treaters ringing the bell.

The Halloween III clue made me laugh as a few days ago I was on the phone with a friend chatting about horror movies and he was driving his wife crazy in the background by singing the "Happy Happy Halloween...Silver Shamrock" song from the film. The movie has nothing to do with the Jamie Lee Curtis films in the series, but it has its place as a guilty pleasure for guys of a certain age.

Alex had it right about the FJ! category, "Not a good category for me."

The best I had was iTunes and I settled on that after looking at Spotify and Pandora as part of a Dawson Crossin' The correct response was not even on my radar. Nice job by Thea to take the title and do it with extra money in the pocketbook.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Pebble Beach in Rock.

WLT Boeing at $200? I thought they were going for a company that made clothing. I almost threw out Sky Mall.

Ran Reality.

I had no idea how to BMS on "Parliament" either.

There's a Tiger Lily in Peter Pan? Also didn't know monkey puzzle.

Also got the Lach Trash on Schuylkill, Hibbing, and horsetail.

Lightning McQueen for Herbie the Love Bug. Derp.

Gordon Pym = Poe was new to me.

Forgot the category on "Bing" because it took so long for them to get back to it, that "fits the category" had me stymied on Binghamton.

I don't even call out of state, much less out of country.

I don't remember getting an LTAM in either round.

Took mew a few seconds, but I got to podcast before the key change.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The best I had was iTunes and I settled on that after looking at Spotify and Pandora as part of a Dawson Crossin' The correct response was not even on my radar. Nice job by Thea to take the title and do it with extra money in the pocketbook.
Ditto, except I stayed with Spotify just to say something. Podcasting never even came up.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Boeing at $200? I thought they were going for a company that made clothing. I almost threw out Sky Mall.
The airplanes that they make.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was stunned that they didn't both get it, but as my name/avatar suggests, I guess this is a wheelhouse category. I constantly listen to podcasts.

Too bad on "Werewolves in London". ...little old lady got mutilated late last night.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Small object "launched" from Kazakhstan in 1957 = TS?!

TiVo = recording video for later, so recording audio is...podcasting sounds good.

I got it right off the rebound, so I'm not sure it qualifies as negbait, but a guy named Watt + coal mining = something other than energy...evil :lol:
clprez

Post by clprez »

I have never heard of a Monkey Puzzle Tree before. I looked it up and it is found in southern Chile and western Argentina. Is this something that someone might know from being around trivia? I couldn't find any instances in the archive, and I don't know how to search for things on LL.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

What an awful FJ. "... this new form". Form? Form of what? If they had said "form of media delivery" or something like that it might have narrowed it down from a gadget/service or concept.

I said ipod, but the ipod came out in 2001.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

clprez wrote:I have never heard of a Monkey Puzzle Tree before. I looked it up and it is found in southern Chile and western Argentina. Is this something that someone might know from being around trivia? I couldn't find any instances in the archive, and I don't know how to search for things on LL.
They have them in my home town of Victoria, British Columbia, but I have no idea how well-known they are, and I tend to think of them as just a thing from my childhood. You may very well be correct about them being obscure.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MP3 here. On reveal a big DOHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh! LT: Lucy Maid Montgomery (Anne Shirley = same Anne of Green Gables!); The Land that "Time Forgot".
Always disappointing to see a contestant miss FJ, sorry! :cry:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said streaming. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OSXpert wrote:I was stunned that they didn't both get it, but as my name/avatar suggests, I guess this is a wheelhouse category. I constantly listen to podcasts.
Do you associate them with Steve Jobs and/or Apple? Does a podcast seem more TiVO-like to you than iTunes or Spotify or Pandora or Sirius XM? I'm struggling to figure out why I should have landed on podcast in particular given that clue. I'm getting ready to make the big zonk noise and yell BOGUS! But I want to hear opposing arguments first.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

boson wrote:What an awful FJ. "... this new form". Form? Form of what? If they had said "form of media delivery" or something like that it might have narrowed it down from a gadget/service or concept.
I concur. Nearest guess I had was "What is an Ipod"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I could've done without two of the BMSes. The clue wants accessories that sound like they were custom made for piloting. Sunglasses is simply wrong. No BMS necessary. And the clue wants an ELECTED body. Parliament is simply wrong. No BMS necessary. And Thea not being able to get it even AFTER a BMS just made the whole thing painful. Let the poor woman take her lumps and move on.

Nice to see Jon go down swinging, even if it did take him offstage for FJ. I still prefer that to the rabbit in the headlights look.

I enjoyed Thea's brief confusion about whether she was trying to go for a true DD or not. It's a good reminder that there's a lot to think about and a lot of pressure up there. It only seems easy from the couch. I also enjoyed the follow-up exchange where Alex admitted he egged her on a bit and she took it in good fun.

I was disappointed by all the triple-stumpers. And, as mentioned in a prior post, I wasn't fond of this FJ. But still, props to Julia and Thea for making this a horse race, and props to Thea for getting FJ and finishing with an impressive score.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

opusthepenguin wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I was stunned that they didn't both get it, but as my name/avatar suggests, I guess this is a wheelhouse category. I constantly listen to podcasts.
Do you associate them with Steve Jobs and/or Apple?
The Pod in Podcast is derived from iPod. Apple's podcast section in iTunes is the largest podcast directory.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Does a podcast seem more TiVO-like to you than iTunes or Spotify or Pandora or Sirius XM? I'm struggling to figure out why I should have landed on podcast in particular given that clue. I'm getting ready to make the big zonk noise and yell BOGUS! But I want to hear opposing arguments first.
TiVo for Radio, talk radio in particular. One uses TiVo to watch episodes of TV that you used to have to watch live. One uses podcasts for listening to radio shows that you used to have to listen to live. Spotify/Pandora/Sirius are for songs, but podcasts are radio shows you can listen to whenever you want.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Interestingly, Julia's FJ wager was exactly the same as in her first game. It set up the potential for a tie-breaker, in the event Thea made the standard cover bet and they both negged on the clue. Was that intentional or did Julia just get mixed up on the math?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:I said streaming. Judges?
Negative. 1) streaming was around long before 2005 (Muzak in the 50's, for example). 2) It was a quote, so it needs to be precise.