Friday, November 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7395, 2016-11-04

CONTESTANTS
Chuck Dunn, a mathematics professor from Tigard, Oregon
Donna Goldberg, a psychotherapist from West Hills, California
Rachel Hopkins, a student from Middletown, Rhode Island (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. What a wonderful win on yesterday's program for our young champion, Rachel. But as we've discovered many times in recent years on this program, it's not always easy winning that second game. A lot will depend on donna and chuck and on the categories. So good luck to all three. Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are your categories. Starting off with--oh...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FILMS OF MERYL STREEP (5/5)
U.S. MOUNTAINS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AUTO SHOP TALK (2/2)
A SPANISH INQUISITION (5/5)
"C"s THE DAY (3/5)
PUNNING POLITICAL TITLES (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Donna: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Rachel: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Chuck: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Rachel had $600, Donna had $3,400, and Chuck was at $1,400. Rachel made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

U.S. MOUNTAINS $600: A Wyoming peak was named for this man soon after his 1924 death; there are said to be 14 points on its ridges
(Alex: All right, you're in third place. You have $600. You can risk up to $1,000.)
(Rachel: Let's make it a True Daily Double.)
(Alex: Okay, for a $1,200 total, here is your clue...)
(Rachel: Who is Roosevelt?)
(Alex: No, you picked the wrong President.)
(Rachel: Yeah.)
(Alex: Who is [*]? Famous for his Fourteen Points and World War I. You have no money, but pick again.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Donna: $3,400
Chuck: $2,200
Rachel: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our second bow tie on the Jeopardy! program this week comes with this man, Chuck Dunn, a mathematics professor from Oregon who enjoys taking math students abroad. Where in particular? And is it related to the math instruction?

Chuck: Definitely. So I've taken two courses, uh, four times to Russia, Germany, and Switzerland following in the footsteps of Leonhard Euler, who was a very prolific 18th century mathematician. And then I've taken students once to China and Japan studying ancient Chinese and Japanese mathematics.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Donna Goldberg is a psychotherapist from California whose sister started a wonderful project. I wanna hear about it.

Donna: She did. Okay, she went on a family history trip to Eastern Europe in 2001. And while she was there, she met somebody who told her about Holocaust survivors from World War II who were starving and poor and in their 80s. And the Russian government had collapsed, their pensions were gone, they had no money, no money for medicine, not enough to eat, and they were living in wooden huts. So she started a charity. She holds fundraisers all over the country. She's feeding 2,000 people in Eastern Europe in Ukraine right now.

Alex: Okay, good for her and good for you. You help her, I know.

Donna: Yeah, thank you.

Alex: Rachel Hopkins is a student from Rhode Island who is not only a winner on Jeopardy! but she's an award-winning dancer, a special kind of dance.

Rachel: An Irish step dancer, which is kinda like, uh, Riverdance. It's a little bit different. You're not supposed to wave your arms around.

Alex: And you win prizes for that.

Rachel: Yeah, I've won a couple trophies, some medals. Um, I don't do it anymore, but when I was younger...

Alex: Okay, well, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PUNNING POLITICAL TITLES $400: After abandoning conservative politics, David Brock titled a book "Blinded by" this

U.S. MOUNTAINS $1000: The observatory on the summit of this New Hampshire mountain provides guided tours of its weather station

PUNNING POLITICAL TITLES $800: A P.J. O'Rourke anthology is "thrown under the" this 7-letter "transport"

"C"s THE DAY $800: Marking the ascension to the throne by King Bhumibol, this Thai national holiday is held on may 5
(Alex: We've less than a minute to go now, Rachel.)

"C"s THE DAY $1000: February 2 is this day when Mary went to the Temple in Jerusalem to be purified after birth

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Donna: $4,400
Chuck: $4,000
Rachel: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE LIVES OF AUTHORS (4/5)
TV SHOWS BY EPISODES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the episodes.)
KINGS & QUEENS (4/5)
"READY" WHEN YOU ARE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS (5/5)
TRAVEL & TOURISM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rachel: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Chuck: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W
Donna: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chuck snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Rachel had $2,600, Donna had $4,400, and Chuck was at $5,200. Chuck wagered $3,000.

TV SHOWS BY EPISODES $1600: "Dirty Little Secrets" & "Happy Birthday, Mr. President!"
(Alex: You picked the right one right out of the blue. That just came to you. I could see it.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Donna who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Rachel had $9,000, Donna had $6,800, and Chuck was at $13,400. Donna wagered $6,500.

"READY" WHEN YOU ARE $2000: In the year 1000 England's king was this man who sounds ill-prepared
(Alex: And you have enough money to take the lead away from Chuck.
This will be the last clue.)
(Donna: Uh, $6,500, please.)
(Alex: Okay, here is the clue for you...)
(Donna: William the Unready?)
(Alex: No. Who is [*]? [*]. So you drop to $300.)
(Donna: Aw.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KINGS & QUEENS $2000: King Sobhuza II of this southern African kingdom reigned 1899-1982, enough time for 70 wives & 600 kids
(Donna: What is Kenya?)

THE LIVES OF AUTHORS $2000: Written while she lived in France, "Tender Buttons" is a 1914 collection of poems by this American author & art patron
(Donna: Who is Edith Wharton?)
(Alex: No. Rachel or Chuck? Donna, you can't ring in again.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: But now--if I allowed you to respond, what would you say?)
(Donna: [*].)
(Alex: Yes, you would've been correct if you had made that your first response. Darn.)

"READY" WHEN YOU ARE $1600: 4-word nickname of President Zachary Taylor, who had served 40 years in the U.S. military
(Donna: Who was "Rough and Ready"?)
(Alex: Be a little more specific.)
(Donna: Uh...)
(Alex: No? Okay. Correct response, you were missing one word. [*].

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Chuck: $13,400
Rachel: $9,000
Donna: $300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC DOCUMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Chuck: Wager $4,601 to cover Rachel, but no more than $12,799 so as not to fall behind Donna's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $4,001.
Rachel: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Chuck wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Donna: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Seward objected to its timing, saying "it may be viewed as the last measure of an exhausted government"

FINAL SCORES
Donna: $300 + $0 = $300 (What was the Emancipation Proclamation) (3rd place)
Rachel: $9,000 + $8,399 = $17,399 (What is the Emancipation Proclamation) (2nd place)
Chuck: $13,400 + $9,000 = $22,400 (What is the Emancipation Proclamation?) (New champion: $22,400)
(Alex: Over the years, I've discovered that Jeopardy! players are usually good dealing with U.S. history. Let's see if I'm correct.)
(Alex: And Chuck has a lot of supporters up there who just let out a big scream on your behalf.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Chuck: $12,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Rachel: $9,600, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Donna: $6,800, 15 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Chuck: 17/59 = .288
Rachel: 17/59 = .288
Donna: 16/59 = .271
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE FILMS OF MERYL STREEP $400: The winter-set Iowa location seen here was one of several used in this 1995 film

A SPANISH INQUISITION $800: ¿Hablas aleman?
(Rachel: What is, "Do you speak French?")
(Donna: [*]? What is, [*].)
(Alex: Thank you.)

A SPANISH INQUISITION $1000: ¿Quien paga por el muro?
(Donna: [*]?)
(Alex: Right.)
(Donna: [Laughs] Really?)
(Rachel: Oh!)
[Laughter]
(Donna: What is, [*]?)

U.S. MOUNTAINS $400: Utah's Uinta range, a part of this mountain system, is the only major range in the contiguous U.S. running east-west
(Chuck: What are the Tetons?)

AUTO SHOP TALK $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an automotive animation on the monitor.) In a car's catalytic converter, exhaust fumes go through reduction, then oxidation occurs using catalysts such as platinum & palladium filters; for example, one extra oxygen molecule converts a toxic gas into this harmless gas
(The end-of-round signal sounds.)

KINGS & QUEENS $800: In the spring of 1533, she was crowned queen in London; in the spring of 1536 she was executed
(Rachel: Who is Catherine Howard?)

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $1200: Bandleader Glenn Miller was also a virtuoso on this brass instrument
(Alex: Chuck, you better get this one.)
(Chuck: What is the--what is the [*]?
(Alex: Yes, you play it.)

THE LIVES OF AUTHORS $800: After the Civil War this bestselling author spent time in the south & "palmetto leaves" is a book about her life in Florida
(Chuck: Who is Harriet Tubman?)

THE LIVES OF AUTHORS $1200: This Irish-born English satirist's travels took him to St. Patrick's Cathedral, where he became dean in 1713

THE LIVES OF AUTHORS $1600: This "Magic Mountain" author left Germany for the same L.A. street where O.J. Simpson later lived
(Chuck: Who is Hesse?)
(Alex: No. Donna?)
(Donna: Who is [*]?)
(Alex: Thomas Mann, ja.)

TRAVEL & TOURISM $800: Exhibits at Pilgrim Hall in this Mass. city include William Bradford's wine cup & a cooking pot belonging to Myles Standish
(Chuck: What is Salem?)

TRAVEL & TOURISM $1200: Barcaccia Fountain lies at the foot of this popular Rome tourist attraction seen here

"READY" WHEN YOU ARE $800: Pret-a-porter is French for this type of clothing
(Chuck: What is off-the-rack?)

"READY" WHEN YOU ARE $1200: This name for the original troupe of "Saturday Night Live" performers reflected their late night work
(Donna: Not ready for--what is the--[*]?)
(Alex: Yes, you managed to get it out.)
(Donna: I got it. I spit it out.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Woodrow Wilson
Blinded by the Right
Mount Washington
omnibus
Coronation Day
Candlemas
Scandal
Ethelred the Unready
Swaziland
Gertrude Stein
"Old Rough an Ready"
the Emancipation Proclamation
The Bridges of Madison County
Do you speak German?
Who pays for the wall?
the Rockies
carbon dioxide
Anne Boleyn
trombone
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Jonathan Swift
Thomas Mann
Plymouth
the Spanish Steps
ready-to-wear
the Not Ready for Prime Time Players
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC DOCUMENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Seward objected to its timing, saying "it may be viewed as the last measure of an exhausted government"

Rachel Hopkins: 9000+8399=17399
Donna Goldberg: 300+0=300
Chuck Dunn: 13400+9000=22400 (New champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Emancipation Proclamation

Daily Doubles
Rachel: 600-600
Chuck: 5200+3000
Donna: 6800-6500

Coryats
Rachel: 9600
Donna: 6800
Chuck: 12000

Combined: 28,400
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That was a dismal final DD bet.

Instaget FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

She bet 100 short of the leader. No clues left, dead if she gets it wrong, and she still wouldn't go for the lead. I have to assume it was an "under the lights" math error, because otherwise I'd never stop swearing. And then she misses a layup like Æthelred the Unready when spotted the 'ready' (in addition to leaving off the 'old' in Zach Taylor's nickname, BTW why did that get a BMS?), so whatever.

Instaget FJ.
everestian
Contributor

Post by everestian »

Good clues, but unfortunately Donna was very shaky throughout the game. Forgetting the phrasing, making wild wagers, double buzzing, and fumbling on important details to clues can easily add up and cost you your game. I mean she played well in the beginning but it's unfortunate she only ended with $300 or so.

As for me...

In the J! Round:
2/5 on Meryl Streep, 3/5 on U.S. Mountains, 2/5 on "C"s the Day, 2/5 on Auto Shop Talk, and 1/5 on Punning Political Titles.

In the DJ! Round:
5/5 on Lives of Authors, 2/5 on Shows by Episode, 2/5 on Kings and Queens, 3/5 on "Ready" When You Are, 3/5 on Travel and Tourism, and 5/5 on Musical Instruments! Felt good that I rounded two DJ! categories tonight.

Lach Trash (I guess...?) on Gertrude Stein, Old Rough & Ready, and Ethelred the Unready. I was losing my mind over Gertrude Stein because I thought the clue was a bit obvious as it hinted at her being an expatriate. Oh well.

I agree the FJ! was an easy one, though it did take me two seconds to realize William Seward was part of Lincoln's cabinet. Still got it regardless.

Overall Coryat: $31,000.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

everestian wrote: Lach Trash (I guess...?) on Gertrude Stein... I was losing my mind over Gertrude Stein because I thought the clue was a bit obvious as it hinted at her being an expatriate. Oh well.
Despite complaining about overvalued clues at least twice a week, I still hesitate sometimes, thinking "it can't be that obvious...can it??"

Also, did Rachel's reaction to that first DD seem strange to anyone? I can't tell if she was anxious because the right answer was on the tip of her tongue, or if she thought it was something else, before reading the rest of the clue and having no idea. Or maybe I'm misreading it entirely ;)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

xxaaaxx wrote:She bet 100 short of the leader. No clues left, dead if she gets it wrong, and she still wouldn't go for the lead. I have to assume it was an "under the lights" math error, because otherwise I'd never stop swearing. And then she misses a layup like Æthelred the Unready when spotted the 'ready' (in addition to leaving off the 'old' in Zach Taylor's nickname, BTW why did that get a BMS?), so whatever.

Instaget FJ.
The Taylor response was BMS'd because the wording of the clue called for a four-word phrase.

Figured exactly the same thing about Donna's DD bet. Like her thinking (i.e. some rudimentary awareness of situation), but not so much the execution.

Instaget FJ here as well, and I used the think music to scrutinize my spelling.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I can't really blame the contestants for avoiding the auto shop category, but it ultimately turned out to be a pretty simple science category that didn't really require much car knowledge. I'd have avoided it too, thinking it would've been a lot harder than it actually was. Ah well.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I liked the fact that Donna gave the responses that were questions without the initial "What Is", until it turned out that she apparently was forgetting the phrasing.

Chuck's index card apparently mentions that he plays the trombone. I *really* didn't like the way Alex gave away the response to the Glenn Miller clue. Yes, it looked as if Chuck knew the response, but it's not impossible that he might have had a brain fart and said some other instrument until Alex clued him in.

I thought "rough and ready" should have been negged outright.

I wasn't that confident in FJ!, but WECIB.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

When I am Jeopardy! king, contestants will not be allowed to call it a "true daily double" when betting less than the maximum allowed.

Did Kelly really call the CO2 from auto emissions a "harmless gas"? There are a fair number of scientists who would take issue with that.

On TV Episode Titles, how were we supposed to connect "Dirty Little Secrets" and "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" to Scandal? Is it just that they sound somewhat scandalous? In retrospect, I guess that's what they were going for. I plumb forgot about Scandal, so my first guess was The West Wing, my second guess was House of Cards, and my third guess was Veep.

Why does Jeopardy! insist on accepting "Herod" without a BMS? This isn't the first time. Do you mean Herod the Great, Herod Antipas, Herod Archelaus, Herod the Tetrarch, Herod II, Herod of Chalcis, Herod Agrippa, or Herod Agrippa II? There's enough Herods for a whole category. I think at least 4 of those are mentioned in the New Testament. So it's not like there's only one famous one and the others don't really count.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't recognize anything in that Streep category.

WLT Oahu at $200? I was 0/5 in that category.

I've actually read Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway.

4/5 in Spanish. I've only ever heard pared for "wall", never muro. That and the non-sequitur nature completely froze me up. They ALWAYS have to trip me up in wheelhouse categories like that.

2/5 in Musical instruments. Didn't know "synthesizer" had another meaning, and "Electronic instrument" was tripping me up because I was thinking "Electric guitar".

The second ring-in by Donna was an interesting moment with AT allowing her a second guess knowing it'd be a TS anyway. Has anything like that happened before?

Lach Trash: "Blinded by the Right", Candlemas.

No guess on FJ! What were the key words here?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote: No guess on FJ! What were the key words here?
For me, Historic Documents and William Seward. I'm not strong on history, but I associate Seward with the mid-19th century and named the most historic document I could think of from that period.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Didn't recognize anything in that Streep category.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Ran the Streep category.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote:On TV Episode Titles, how were we supposed to connect "Dirty Little Secrets" and "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" to Scandal? Is it just that they sound somewhat scandalous? In retrospect, I guess that's what they were going for. I plumb forgot about Scandal, so my first guess was The West Wing, my second guess was House of Cards, and my third guess was Veep.
I got Scandal as the ep. titles seemed to fit the show and it was the first program that came to me. It was a guess and since it was a DD I was within my rights to say something. 4/5 in the category had me lose the run at the start as "Two Tonys" & "A Hit Is a Hit" had me clamming on Who's the Boss? in thinking about Danza's character playing baseball, but not recalling one of those sitcom staples with the actor playing a 2nd look-alike character.

The Sopranos did not occur to me although it made perfect sense for both episode titles once I heard it. Gotham, The X-Files and Knight Rider seemed more straightforward and less likely to steer someone wrong. Yes, the Scandal Daily Double had many other shows that would be as good of a guess as any, although wrong.

The FJ! clue was one that had me quadruple check my spelling on both my scoresheet and in theFJguy post. After seeing more posts about the Thursday FJ! I'm not as sure about it going over 90% in the weekly poll. Tonight's FJ! clue has to be in the 90s, right?

Chuck ended up making up for some of the possible money he lost because of Donna missing her DD clue as he more than covered the potential 18K that Rachel could have had on a double up.

In my second game I had $600 when I found the first DD of the game. "$1,000, please." without even thinking for a second about doing that "True Daily Double" nonsense. Bet the max and save the cliche move for another time if that is on your J! checklist.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:On TV Episode Titles, how were we supposed to connect "Dirty Little Secrets" and "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" to Scandal? Is it just that they sound somewhat scandalous? In retrospect, I guess that's what they were going for. I plumb forgot about Scandal, so my first guess was The West Wing, my second guess was House of Cards, and my third guess was Veep.
My one and only guess was The West Wing. My knowledge of Scandal is that it is on ABC and it's a Shonda Rhimes show. That's it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Linear Gnome wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: No guess on FJ! What were the key words here?
For me, Historic Documents and William Seward. I'm not strong on history, but I associate Seward with the mid-19th century and named the most historic document I could think of from that period.
Oh, the Gettysburg Address then.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

It's supposed to be spelled "emanciptation".
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

It's amusing that the Jewish contestant, Donna, confused a famous Jewish woman, Gertrude Stein, with a famous Jew-hater, Edith Wharton.

Overall, it was a fun, competitive game with some horrendous DD wagering. (The math professor's wager was the only one which wasn't clearly sub-optimal) If Donna had gotten her DD right, she would have REALLY been kicking herself, since she would have been $100 short of the lead on a very easy FJ.

Anyways, got LT of The Right, Woodrow Wilson, Gertrude Stein, and Old Rough and Ready. Instaget FJ.