LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by boson »

I could easily recall seeing Zildjian and Sabian written on cymbals as I submitted. However I thought they made the whole drum kit, not just the cymbals. I was surprised to get that wrong - I was confident in a six-pack as I submitted... No matter, lucky defense saw me through.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I'd think pop music would be the score you should have looked at despite Thorsten classifying it as classical. Those cymbal brands (or at least a couple of them) would be familiar to people who attend lots of rock shows or have watched music videos. I suppose cymbals are used in classical, too, but play a much lesser role than in pop music.
Marching band participation got it for me. Our high school used Zildjian cymbals in marching band, and had a few of Sabian and Zildjian for concerts. Drums on the other hand had Pearl, Yamaha, and others, so I could rule out general drumsets. Marching band tends to give me better numbers in both categories for me based on what we played.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

KimEd defeated me... the pupil has become the master... "Only a master of evil, Darth!'

Good job on 9(6) and move up to top 5, Ed! WTG Bro!! :!: :D

I gave "China" for Q3, thinking totally in the wrong box- guessed these were automakers, utterly disregarding the category "ClassMusic"! DOH! :P
Q3. CLASS MUSIC - Meinl, Paiste, Sabian, and Zildjian are considered the "big four" manufacturers of what? CYMBALS
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goatman wrote:I gave "China" for Q3, thinking totally in the wrong box- guessed these were automakers, utterly disregarding the category "ClassMusic"! DOH! :P
Well, you don't know the category when you submit, so unless you've heard of one of those brands you'd really have no way of knowing.

My wife isn't in LL but likes to play along sometimes. I usually read her the questions because I feel like it's cheating if she gets to see the category. Sometimes that gives valuable information we don't get as players!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goatman wrote: I gave "China" for Q3, thinking totally in the wrong box- guessed these were automakers, utterly disregarding the category "ClassMusic"! DOH! :P
The category only shows up with match day results.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote:I could easily recall seeing Zildjian and Sabian written on cymbals as I submitted. However I thought they made the whole drum kit, not just the cymbals. I was surprised to get that wrong - I was confident in a six-pack as I submitted... No matter, lucky defense saw me through.
The only one of those names I recognized is Zildjian, and that's from full page ads for Zildjian cymbals featuring Neal Peart IIRC that appeared in various music mags back in the '80s (when I actually read music mags). Still, good enough for a much needed 9(6) in the new A Murder.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

cmp146 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I'd think pop music would be the score you should have looked at despite Thorsten classifying it as classical. Those cymbal brands (or at least a couple of them) would be familiar to people who attend lots of rock shows or have watched music videos. I suppose cymbals are used in classical, too, but play a much lesser role than in pop music.
Marching band participation got it for me. Our high school used Zildjian cymbals in marching band, and had a few of Sabian and Zildjian for concerts. Drums on the other hand had Pearl, Yamaha, and others, so I could rule out general drumsets. Marching band tends to give me better numbers in both categories for me based on what we played.
Exactly my line of thinking. I associated Sabian and Zildjian with cymbals, but ruled out percussion in general since it didn't include Pearl, and I remember those being on all sorts of drum kits.

And I too got it from popular music - mainly metal bands from the 80s and 90s.

cmp146 drank the beer and mopped the floor with me in the private rundle, so it didn't matter. Nice job!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

seaborgium wrote:
goatman wrote: I gave "China" for Q3, thinking totally in the wrong box- guessed these were automakers, utterly disregarding the category "ClassMusic"! DOH! :P
The category only shows up with match day results.
O yeah! So I'm not feeling quite so stupid now! Double DOH!! ;)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Sooo close. I went 50/50/90 on Bhagavad Gita vs. Ramayana, then put Blue Velvet for the 1986 film named for a 1961 song. It was based on an original screenplay rather than a novella, but it released in 1986 and named for a 1963 song.
Sprinkles are for winners.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Sooo close. I went 50/50/90 on Bhagavad Gita vs. Ramayana, then put Blue Velvet for the 1986 film named for a 1961 song. It was based on an original screenplay rather than a novella, but it released in 1986 and named for a 1963 song.
Ditto on both. It was such a satisfying Eureka moment when I came up with Blue Velvet! Too bad about it being "wrong" and all.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I ALMOST was fooled by "Blue Velvet". It was my first thought but then I read the question more closely and saw that it said "first" released in 1961. "Blue Velvet" (which, as BigDaddyMatty pointed out is actually from 1963) never had a hit remake, while "Stand By Me", which the words "first released" then made me think of, had several. Of course, that was not the best reading of "first released". The best way to think of it (as I now think of it) is that "Stand By Me", the original Ben E. King version, was reissued when the movie was out and went back to the top 10.

This was an unusual match for me as both of us got the three pointers assigned. I deserved to win though (and did) because my opponent assigned me three points on the "Stand By Me" question (those who know me well enough to know that pop music is a very strong category for me would know that was very foolish even if I almost did go down the "Blue Velvet" path).

As expected, I am coming down to Earth. Yesterday was my first win of the week.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another victim of the Blue Velvet negbait. I was disappointed (but not surprised) that my BWA attempt of Hangman for Q6 got no recognition.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

RichmondJ wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Sooo close. I went 50/50/90 on Bhagavad Gita vs. Ramayana, then put Blue Velvet for the 1986 film named for a 1961 song. It was based on an original screenplay rather than a novella, but it released in 1986 and named for a 1963 song.
Ditto on both. It was such a satisfying Eureka moment when I came up with Blue Velvet! Too bad about it being "wrong" and all.
Thirdsies. Except I got them both wrong.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

My opponent and I both thought Stand By Me was the easiest of the six as we both collected 0 points on it. It would not have mattered in my 4(4)-9(6) victory, but I was pleasantly surprised to get the one point for my "Dave Chappelle Show" being accepted for Chappelle's Show.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

2 straight beers is great, but when the second one is a 9(6)-0(F) win, it makes me glad I didn't spend too much time working on the questions.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:My opponent and I both thought Stand By Me was the easiest of the six as we both collected 0 points on it. It would not have mattered in my 4(4)-9(6) victory, but I was pleasantly surprised to get the one point for my "Dave Chappelle Show" being accepted for Chappelle's Show.
Similarly, I gave my opponent 0 for Stand By Me (we both missed it), and I was relieved to get credit for "The Chappelle Show." I actually thought that the correct answer for the latter would be the name of a specific skit within his eponymous show; when I submitted I was happy to see that I would likely get credit. Not that any of that mattered, since I lost.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

mennoknight wrote:
RichmondJ wrote:
Thirdsies. Except I got them both wrong.
Didn't hurt you too much, thanks to perfectly bad defense. You're welcome! I've never given up the dreaded 7(3) before.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Got Ramayana but chalk up another one to Blue Velvet... She wore Blue Velvet, bluer than velvet was the night... Bobby Vinton... what a tune, what a film! 8-)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Velvet was a great guess. Luckily I knew that the movie "Stand by Me" was an adaptation of a Stephen King story, so I never even considered anything else.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

"Stand by Me" was pretty much an instaget.

Then there was question 4. "Oh, what is that guy's name? It starts with a P, ends in -ton...Pendleton!" :::clicks Submit::: "Dangit!"

I really shouldn't try to do LL matches at midnight.