Tuesday, December 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7432, 2016-12-27

CONTESTANTS
Hallie Boston, a content manager from Dorchester, Massachusetts
Colin Utley, an operations and logistics manager from New Orleans, Louisiana
Stephanie Schlatter, a stay-at-home parent from Toledo, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen and welcome. $13,201. A modest win for our returning champion, Stephanie, on yesterday's program, but a win even though she was in distant third spot going in to Double Jeopardy! So Jeopardy! continues to prove the old adage that it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Colin and Hallie, good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OUR OWN SHAKESPEAREAN RHYMES (5/5)
WORKING ON THE RAILROAD (2/5)
FROM THE JAPANESE (5/5)
GIVE A FIG (4/5)
THE 1700s (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE MUSICAL "R"TIST (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hallie: 9 R, 0 W
Stephanie: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Colin: 4 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $4,000
Hallie: $3,000
Colin: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Hallie Boston is from Massachusetts. Pretty name, Hallie Boston.

Hallie: Thank you.

Alex: But I hear that you found out that if you were a boy, your parents would have settled on a name that would not have pleased you all that much.

Hallie: Exactly. My dad is a big collector of British sports cars, and one of his favorites is an Austin-Healey, so my parents wanted to name me after that, which wouldn't have been so bad until you realize that my last name is Boston. So I would have been named Austin Boston.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, they might have settled on Healey Boston.

Hallie: I think that's where Hallie came from, a little variation.

Alex: I think so. Yes.

Alex: Colin Utley is from New Orleans, Louisiana. you and your wife enjoyed a trip around the world. Are we talking about air travel, cruise, what?

Colin: Yeah, it was air travel. We started in New Orleans, headed west until we ended up back in New Orleans. Spent a couple weeks living out of the back of a camper van in New Zealand. Saw the mountain gorillas in Rwanda, a few more weeks in Africa, Middle East, and finished up some time in Europe.

Alex: Most exciting part of the round-the-world trip?

Colin: Those mountain gorillas in Africa are really, uh--

Alex: You get close to them?

Colin: Yes. It's amazing how--it's as close as you and I are.

Alex: Really?

Colin: Yeah. It's pretty incredible.

Alex: It certainly is.

[Laughter]

Alex: Another fine mess you've gotten me into.

Alex: Stephanie Schlatter is a stay-at-home parent who has a degree in nutrition.

Stephanie: I do.

Alex: And you specialized in one particular thing that I like eating.

Stephanie: Well, my senior project for a food science class was to create a product and test it out. And so I decided to make banana muffins that college students could cook in their own dorm rooms. So I spent a lot of time in the food lab making muffins in the microwave.

Alex: Yeah, okay. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colin found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Stephanie had $4,800, Colin had $800, and Hallie was at $4,600. Colin wagered $1,000.

THE 1700s $800: Reigning from 1701 to 1713, Frederick I was this kingdom's first king; his grandson was a "great" one
(Colin: What is Denmark?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MUSICAL "R"TIST $1000: "Love Is The Drug"

GIVE A FIG $800: Some Roman historians wrote that wife Livia killed this first emperor with poisoned figs

THE 1700s $1000: Siraj al-Dawlah, Nawab of Bengal, has been blamed for the 1756 stuffy space known as this

THE 1700s $400: Found guilty of piracy and murder, this captain was hanged in 1701
(Colin: Who is Blackbeard?)
(Stephanie: Who is Captain Morgan?)

WORKING ON THE RAILROAD $600: In the 19th century it was a railroad laborer who fed the furnace on a coal-fired train

WORKING ON THE RAILROAD $800: AKA a turnout, it's a short piece of track for bypassing or unloading

WORKING ON THE RAILROAD $1000: A "tank town" was a spot on a railroad route often stopped in only to do this
(Stephanie: What is refuel?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Hallie: $5,000
Stephanie: $3,800
Colin: -$600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHYSICS (2/4)
FROM "S" TO "W" (4/5)
SCULPTURE (2/5)
SCANDINAVIAN CITIES (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A FOND FAREWELL TO THE 114th CONGRESS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colin: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Stephanie: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Hallie: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $16,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Stephanie had $6,200, Colin had $1,000, and Hallie was at $7,800. Stephanie wagered $2,000.

SCANDINAVIAN CITIES $1200: The Norwegian Olympic Museum is in this small town

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Colin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Stephanie had $9,800, Colin had $1,800, and Hallie was at $6,200. Colin wagered $2,000.

WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN? $2000: When this villain was introduced in a 1948 issue of Detective Comics, he was nicknamed "The Prince of Puzzles"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A FOND FAREWELL TO THE 114th CONGRESS $1200: "We are actually governing", said Rep. Renee Elmers about the "Doc Fix" bill that raises reimbursements under this program
(Hallie: What is the Affordable Care Act?)
(Stephanie: What is Obamacare?)

FROM "S" TO "W" $2000: This flat-bottomed boat has square ends & transports all types of freight, including garbage

A FOND FAREWELL TO THE 114th CONGRESS $2000: Chief Deputy Whip in the 114th, this representative from Florida lost a Democratic Party leadership post in July of 2016

SCANDINAVIAN CITIES $1600: Each August productions of "Hamlet" take place on Kronborg Castle in this Danish town
(Hallie: What is Copenhagen?)

SCANDINAVIAN CITIES $2000: Whale & reindeer are on the menu in Longyearbyen, capital of this Norwegian island group also known as Spitsbergen

PHYSICS $1200: eV for short, this unit of energy used in nuclear physics is so small, a trillion of them equals the motion of a mosquito

PHYSICS $2000: A 9-letter process or type of coil that produces high-voltage current from low-voltage

SCULPTURE $1600: This British sculptor said, "The first hole made through a piece of stone is a revelation"
(Alex: A lot of holes in his sculptures. [*].)

SCULPTURE $2000: The Lincoln statue seen here is by this saintly sculptor, also known for his designs of the $10 and $20 gold coins
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCULPTURE $400: For his statue of Balzac, he contacted Balzac's former tailor to get exact measurements
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $9,800
Hallie: $7,000
Colin: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CIVIL WAR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Stephanie: Wager $4,201 to cover Hallie.
Hallie: You ought to wager to cover Colin, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $7,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,200 (to shut out Colin) or less than $1,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Colin). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Stephanie.
Colin: Consider risking between $401 and $1,000. This will top a $0 wager by Hallie while still beating Stephanie on the Triple Stumper (should Stephanie wager to cover Hallie's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Made from a boiler at a Mobile, Alabama machine shop, it was deemed a success though it went down off Charleston 3 times

FINAL SCORES
Colin: $6,600 - $6,598 = $2 (What is the Monitor?) (3rd place)
Hallie: $7,000 - $1,601 = $5,399 (What is the cotton gin?) (2nd place)
Stephanie: $9,800 - $4,199 = $5,601 (What is Merrimack) (13202-day champion: $5,601)
(Alex: [before revealing responses] There are two famous names that would come to mind, and if you went for one of those, you'd be wrong, unfortunately.)
(Alex: [revealing Colin's answer] That's one of the two. The other one is the Merrimack. Neither one is correct.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $21,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $9,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Colin: $7,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Hallie: $7,000, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $23,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Stephanie: 15/59 = .254
Hallie: 13/58 = .224
Colin: 13/60 = .217
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OUR OWN SHAKESPEAREAN RHYMES $600: A dressing gown for the theatre Shakespeare helped build in 1599
(Colin: What is a...)

FROM THE JAPANESE $1000: This fungus is often used in Asian cookery

FROM THE JAPANESE $200: Come on over, we're cooking outside on this type of charcoal brazier seen here

THE 1700s $200: In 1787 the first ships bearing these people, more than 700, were sent to Australia
(Alex: With a minute to go. Less than a minute now.)

WHO WAS THAT MASKED MAN? $1200: This masked man first "led the fight for law and order in the early Western United States" in 1933 on WXYZ in Detroit
(Colin: Who is Zorro?)

PHYSICS $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Geneva, Switzerland.) The "L" in LHC means large-- 17 miles in circumference; "H" is for hadrons, the particles being accelerated, and "C" refers to this, what happens when the particles moving in different directions meet

CORRECT RESPONSES
Prussia
Roxy Music
Augustus
the Black Hole of Calcutta
Captain Kidd
the stoker
a siding
take on water
Lillehammer
the Riddler
Medicare
a scow
Debbie Wasserman Schultz
Helsingør (or Elsinore)
Svalbard
electron volt
an induction coil
Henry Moore
Augustus Saint-Gaudens
Rodin
the Hunley
a Globe robe
a shiitake
hibachi
convicts
the Lone Ranger
colide
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CIVIL WAR

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Made from a boiler at a Mobile, Alabama machine shop, it was deemed a success though it went down off Charleston 3 times

Stephanie Schlatter: 9800-4199=5601 (2x = $18,802)
Colin Utley: 6600-6598=2
Hallie Boston: 7000-1601=5399

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Hunley (Stephanie – Merrimack) (Colin – Monitor) (Hallie – cotton gin)

Daily Doubles
Colin: 800-1000
Stephanie: 6200+2000
Colin: 1800+2000

Coryats
Stephanie: 9000
Colin: 7600
Hallie: 7000

Combined: 23,600
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

J! clue writers love reminding us that George Washington was a freemason.

WLT Captain Kidd?

No idea on FJ!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Congratulations to Colin, who wagered to lose - and he quite successful in that endeavor.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I had "fireman" for "stoker" and "spur" for ... ummm.. whatever they had. Any reason why those aren't OK?

Instaget FJ.

(and no, TPH, there's no real TOM other than Charleston and the Hunley being closely associated).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpr281 wrote:WLT Captain Kidd?
That one did seem a bit ambiguous.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

23,600 is not a great combined Coryat, but compared to yesterday it's a vast improvement.

Stephanie Schlatter: 9800-4199=5601
Colin Utley: 6600-6598=2
Hallie Boston: 7000-1601=5399

If Stephanie bets the expected 4201 she would be left with 5599. In thinking that Hallie would count on that and leave herself with 5600 on a miss, Stephanie wagered to leave herself 5601 on the miss. :)

How did Hallie come up with 1601?

If the FJ! clue had been about the Monitor or the Merrimack what are the different ways to remember which is North and which is South?

For no good reason the one that has worked for me is Monitor has an "n", so North.

For tonight's clue I went a different way and wrote The Hunley immediately. There was a time watching J! I did not know the name. By 2016 I've got it thanks to enough repetition.

Cotton gin? I love picturing a frustrated Eli Whitney throwing the thing in the water more than once.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:If the FJ! clue had been about the Monitor or the Merrimack what are the different ways to remember which is North and which is South?
Easiest way for me is that the Merrimack was the hull for the CSS Virginia.

Another way is that most people will always say "North and South" in that order, the ships are almost always said as "Monitor and Merrimack", so keep the order.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

This FJ was exactly the wagering scenario I was talking about in Monday's game thread. When all three players are only separated by $2-3,000, 3rd place should bet zero. Chances are, his only chance is if all three are wrong.

Colin gained nothing by wagering all but $2, but would be DC had he wagered $0.

Monitor has an N so it was the North's ironclad.
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No on FJ. The Riddler was the only DD I got right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:If the FJ! clue had been about the Monitor or the Merrimack what are the different ways to remember which is North and which is South?
Another way is that most people will always say "North and South" in that order, the ships are almost always said as "Monitor and Merrimack", so keep the order.
That's how I do it.

I knew what they wanted, but called it Huntley.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Kenny wrote:This FJ was exactly the wagering scenario I was talking about in Monday's game thread. When all three players are only separated by $2-3,000, 3rd place should bet zero. Chances are, his only chance is if all three are wrong.

Colin gained nothing by wagering all but $2, but would be DC had he wagered $0.

Monitor has an N so it was the North's ironclad.

Actually 3rd should have bet 801 to cover a Colbyesque wager from second.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

!(*#^F()*Y!_@)&_!()@UDFP!JHP(@#*E^_!*()@&_)!@*^((UH*!#P(DF*Y!@#()*D^Y(*!@UH#P(*!^)(D*H

Henley.

Most painful FJ miss I'm ever gonna have.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Well, I count 4 bad wagers so far, 3 by the contestants and 1 by a poster. Pretty funny stuff. At least the poster isn't going to throw away obscene amounts of money in the process.

The American Civil War is actually a very easy Jeopardy topic to cram for, they only seem to ask about very certain Pavlovian items, the Hunley being one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:(and no, TPH, there's no real TOM other than Charleston and the Hunley being closely associated).
I thought the bit about it being a boiler helped. A sub needs to be a pressure vessel and so does a boiler. It makes a lot of sense to repurpose a boiler as a submarine.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Those FJ wagers... yikes.

My best game ever since I started training a little while ago, with a $27,200 Coryat from home. LT of black hole of Calcutta, electron volts, Henry Moore, Rodin, Medicare on the rebound, and maybe one more (wasn't keeping track). No clue on FJ.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Seeing this game makes me envision a triple bad scenario like in the Final Destination franchise and Death just hexed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QE_Yh9aaI This was from my reaction on Colin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9nYbnmjsEk This was from my reaction from Hallie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXJ_C5oIcQ Reaction from Stephanie.

Seriously...it's like Death itself is trying to taunt me seeing those bad wagers. Colin's didn't do himself any good, Hallie seemed like she didn't even try, and Stephanie makes a poor miscalculation.

I went off with a wild guess with the U.S.S. Arizona, but figuratively, I would seem to think that the Arizona would never make an impact to the Civil War, or have anything to do with the Civil War at all.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,400
41 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Prussia (DD), Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Auguste Rodin

Figured it had to be a submarine but NHO Hunley. Went with the Merrimack just to have something. At least I was right about which of the two famous ships belonged to the CSA.
Sprinkles are for winners.