Sploofus thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Sploofus thread

Post by gobobbygo »

Y'all could be right, but I routinely see the timer counting down to 20 seconds left, then 15, then ten, then I go to the you-got-it-right (or wrong, a lot lately) screen, and the number of seconds generally feels right to me. Like, it'll say ten seconds left, and then the next screen will say I got the answer in three-point-something seconds.

It's clear I'm getting some kind of systemic advantage y'all aren't getting, I'm just trying to figure out what it is.

I'm using a macbook and chrome browser, but that can't be that rare. And <3 seconds for me is uncommon, but not unheard of. Probably 3-4x/month.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

I've had it lag for several minutes after playing a quiz, but the score was always accurate. Same with TQOTD. Just let it do its thing. The issue seems to be with whatever function it uses to call the function that constructs the results page. I'm sure someone who knows his (or her) way around a server could fix it easily on their end. Internet processing is rife with minor incompatibilities between the server types.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Here's another one. INstant recognition, find answer in list of choices and submit PDQ but came in over 6s. This time there was a perceptible lag between click 'show question' and appearance, pretty sure 2s went in there so if you come in under 4s it's pure good luck in combination with some skill!
Spoiler
CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 6.78 seconds!

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED
CORRECTLY 24.7% OF THE TIME

Points for Correct Answer: 1,000 Sploofus Points
Time Bonus Points: 294 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,294 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 3243969
Note your new point totals at the top of the page.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

YAY!!! FINALLY!!
Spoiler
CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 4.31 seconds!

CORRECTLY 75.8% OF THE TIME

Time Bonus Points: 464 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,464 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 9242581
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I've been checking this out.

The clock starts ticking when you click the button to reveal the question, so the loading time is your loss. The lag in submit until their server gets off coffee break and processes your answer is also your loss.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Really wishing I could get a picture to post here, but I just got 2000 points on a RT of 0.01 seconds.

It took forever for the question to appear after I hit the show question button, and I was thinking I'd be lucky to get many points at all.

I hit the answer and submit pretty quick, but it's safe to say not that quick!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I just got caught up on old Qs, hit a string of 8 or 9 right, and am now sitting at #2. Learned to move my mouse pointer to where the radio buttons will be to shave some time off my scores too.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote:Really wishing I could get a picture to post here, but I just got 2000 points on a RT of 0.01 seconds.

It took forever for the question to appear after I hit the show question button, and I was thinking I'd be lucky to get many points at all.

I had a *somewhat* similar experience. The page took forever to load, but it was an instaget Physical Sciences question, so I did it as fast as I could, only to encounter yet more lag. The message I got was "Congratulations! You answered this question correctly in 30.06 seconds for a bonus of 66." WTF? :shock:
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I just joined a few days ago (same name on there) and I've already made the leaderboard on a few quizzes. It's too bad the TQOTD is the only factor that determines your level. Last I checked, I was #1 on a math quiz. Today I hit #4 on a miscellaneous trivia quiz, ahead of mystcmage, bomtr, goatman, and others. :shock:
Hoping for a third lap
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Woof wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Really wishing I could get a picture to post here, but I just got 2000 points on a RT of 0.01 seconds.

I had a *somewhat* similar experience. The page took forever to load, but it was an instaget Physical Sciences question, so I did it as fast as I could, only to encounter yet more lag. The message I got was "Congratulations! You answered this question correctly in 30.06 seconds for a bonus of 66." WTF? :shock:
I just answered a question, but the page wouldn't load. I finally got a "you took more than 30 seconds to answer" message.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

This one might well be my fastest:

Short question, have to be looking for the right answer instantly, get lucky and click inside the tiny circle first try. Not sure I could go faster even without trying to read the question.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I think this is the first time I got an even number (i.e. without a decimal fraction of a second after the whole second)

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And then you get some really stupid questions. Today, mine was something like "When did Ewan McGregor host the Scottish Games?" and the choices were the years 2000-2004. Seriously? How is that anything but random guessing (which was pretty much borne out by the 19.2% get rate). It's 2001, btw.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm pretty far outside the USA right now & even though I usually answer within a few seconds(5 or 6), it's saying that I'm taking 11 or 12 seconds to answer.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Anachronism wrote:This one might well be my fastest:

Short question, have to be looking for the right answer instantly, get lucky and click inside the tiny circle first try. Not sure I could go faster even without trying to read the question.
That's a very good time. I got a screen capture last month of an answer in 2.89 seconds for 1,692 points but couldn't figure out how to upload it, and now yours is better anyway. Pretty sure I've topped 1,700 before, but only a couple times at most. Cheezguy's mouse fu (if that's what he uses) is impressive.
In and out of the pool four times
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

My best yet!! Vermilion, crimson, etc = ...

CONGRATULATIONS!
You answered correctly in 3.37 seconds!

CORRECTLY 52.8% OF THE TIME

Time Bonus Points: 593 Points

TOTAL WINNINGS TODAY:
1,593 Sploofus Points

Question ID: 6511815
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Shout-out to boardies who placed well in February's TQOTD standings, including:
  • 2. Gobobbygo
    3. Jkbrat
    4. Reddpen
    9. Whoismark
    11. Cheezguyty
    16. Elendilpickle
    26. Theconfessor
    43. Bigdaddymatty
and probably others I've overlooked. Nice work, team!
In and out of the pool four times
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
The site was down for several days. I checked now and was able to play catch-up with four questions. During the down time I did not get the emails although I would expect one tonight with everything working again. I've missed 3 or 4 this month, so I'm lucky to currently be on page 1 at least. For now.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm Has anyone else had their daily emails from Sploofus stop? I've checked my spam bin and they don't appear to be in there either.
The site was down for several days. I checked now and was able to play catch-up with four questions. During the down time I did not get the emails although I would expect one tonight with everything working again. I've missed 3 or 4 this month, so I'm lucky to currently be on page 1 at least. For now.
If I check my unanswered questions, it lists March 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30 - and gives me a chance to answer them. Some weird time travel trivia going on.