Tuesday, January 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

Rare instaget on a super-weak category for me. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm surprised that so many people had trouble translating Moro, but I might be biased by a recent-ish LL question. Champ did have the buzzer mojo down.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Kenny wrote:OK writers, enough Shakespeare! The guy wrote a bunch of boring-ass plays nobody except librarians and college professors even read. He didn't write the freaking Bible.
Wow, everyone is a critic! TPH disses Emily Dickinson and now Shakespeare is getting the raspberry. Charles Dickens is probably due next. (Knowing that the Jeopardy writers love Shakespeare should be cause for celebration for contestant hopefuls - relatively speaking, there's not that much material with which to become familiar).

Another vote here for "A Dead Captain" - leading to no where, of course - even though I felt like "moro" should have a "t" in there somewhere if it was going to be a translation for death.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
morbeedo wrote:Is "human lefts" supposed to be clever? or does it mean nothing at all? went right over my head.
Each response was a step away from a two-word response one might expect to hear on J!, such as Corporal Kangaroo instead of Captain Kangaroo or Noah's Battleship instead of Noah's Ark. Human lefts are supposed to be the analogue to human rights.

I know, I know.
Oh boy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From yesterday:
grindcore wrote:Can anyone name a less deserving jeopardy champ?

EDIT: What a dickish thing to say. Apologies.
First of all, I appreciate the apology, Grindcore, and am not bring the comment up not to further criticize you, but to make it an object lesson to all Boardies in not jumping to conclusions. John certainly didn't look undeserving in this show. It just goes to show how fickle the game can be.

Besides, I just looked him up, and John's office is about three blocks from mine.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:I had the right author for FJ, but the wrong play. I had The Tempest.
So did I and I still don't know how, except that the date suggested Shakespeare. Like the contestant, I thought of "dead captain" so my answer was DOA.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

immaf wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I had the right author for FJ, but the wrong play. I had The Tempest.
Me too. I mistranslated it as "A dead captain" and took a guess.
Man, I'm glad to see how many others went down this path. Doesn't yet make me feel loess stupid, but it's always nice to have company.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The clue about Handel made me feel older than any other clue has ever made me feel.

It mentioned, among other compositions, Handel's coronation anthems. Seems I was part of a group that recorded the third of those anthems (subtitled "Zadok the Priest") in 1966.

I will retire to my room for a nap before bedtime.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wow, everyone is a critic! TPH disses Emily Dickinson and now Shakespeare is getting the raspberry. Charles Dickens is probably due next.
Dickens is drier than a Hawkeye Pierce martini. Heck, I've tried reading A Christmas Carol three times and never made it to the first ghost; I keep losing consciousness.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The word "play" and 1565 for the source material should have immediately made me think of Shakespeare, but for some reason it didn't.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:The word "play" and 1565 for the source material should have immediately made me think of Shakespeare, but for some reason it didn't.
The era and Spanish-sounding words led me to Don Quixote for lack of anything better.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
goatman wrote:INstaget FJ and surprised to see it a a TS. Illogical bet on a runaway game, why offer a tie? No possible advantage whatsoever. Here's a contestant who proved she could challenge you in open play and you offer to let her catch you so you can... what, to give her another chance to beat you? I'll take the unknown player in the green room, please! Now 17 FJs and counting, will I beat my record?! :o
A couple of things...

He didn't offer a tie, you may want to double check your math.

There are no longer co-champions, had they tied there would have been a tiebreaker clue, so the unknown player in the green room isn't really a factor.
Also, not a TS. Andrea got it right.
Doh yea I c now she bet 0 which I misrecallified as nonget. And dyslexically imagined that 2(11,200) = 24,400... Nevermind! (Grumbling goes to stare at goats...) ROFLMAO, sigh... :oops:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Last time I checked, Othello (spoiler alert!) dies in Othello. I also mistranslated, but that led me directly to the correct answer.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The morose dead Moorish captain. It works.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:The word "play" and 1565 for the source material should have immediately made me think of Shakespeare, but for some reason it didn't.
The era and Spanish-sounding words led me to Don Quixote for lack of anything better.

I went right to the Bard. My retention skills prevent me from worrying about repeat clues within the same month (or even week). But from there I knew I had no chance. I didn't consider the "moro" as death related, and I thought the "capitan" was likely related to people (per capita), instead of the possible negbait "captain".

All that said, people/captain didn't help me any. I just said "Romeo and Juliet" as the only sure throwaway answer that I knew was a play. I thought it was a very esoteric question and even if I knew the translation and once read the work, would have been a hard get. There must be other memes the wild about the connection of the works, sort of like "the Seven Samurai" vs. the "Magnificent Seven".

The beer scrambles were ridiculous. Not enough TOM to get them outright, and who is going to get Newcastle and Lowenbrau from the jumble?

Good game by John.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Kenny wrote:OK writers, enough Shakespeare! The guy wrote a bunch of boring-ass plays nobody except librarians and college professors even read. He didn't write the freaking Bible.
Wow, everyone is a critic! TPH disses Emily Dickinson and now Shakespeare is getting the raspberry. Charles Dickens is probably due next. (Knowing that the Jeopardy writers love Shakespeare should be cause for celebration for contestant hopefuls - relatively speaking, there's not that much material with which to become familiar).
This isn't the ideal forum for comparing literary tastes, but I will note that there is no comparison between Dickinson and Shakespeare in terms of either influence or quality. I completely agree with TPH with his views on Dickinson, although I strongly disagree with Kenny's on The Bard.

Incidentally, like Volante, I am no fan of Dickens' writing either, but I also recognize his immense influence, including many British writers that I adore. (Dickens' good friend Wilkie Collins, or Maugham)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote: Wow, everyone is a critic! TPH disses Emily Dickinson and now Shakespeare is getting the raspberry. Charles Dickens is probably due next.
Dickens is drier than a Hawkeye Pierce martini. Heck, I've tried reading A Christmas Carol three times and never made it to the first ghost; I keep losing consciousness.
I get that people with modern sensibilities could find it difficult to get into Charles Dickens. I don't know what to say other than you might try a different work, although it's going to be a time commitment. David Copperfield is a pretty easy, if long, read, for example.

There is a reason that so many of Charles Dickens' works have been adapted so often, and why people continue to read and study his works. They're good, and they were intended for a broad audience. So, I'd say give it a chance. And if it doesn't work now, try again in a few years.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

IronNeck wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
This isn't the ideal forum for comparing literary tastes, but I will note that there is no comparison between Dickinson and Shakespeare in terms of either influence or quality. I completely agree with TPH with his views on Dickinson, although I strongly disagree with Kenny's on The Bard.

Incidentally, like Volante, I am no fan of Dickens' writing either, but I also recognize his immense influence, including many British writers that I adore. (Dickens' good friend Wilkie Collins, or Maugham)
I really wasn't trying to wedge Dickinson onto the same platform as Shakespeare - just that they're both well regarded and in particular, I find it a little comical that Dickinson is apparently the one subject upon which TPH considers himself a sufficient expert to dismiss her entire body of work.

And per my comment above, Dickens is worth a second (or third or more) effort because his works should be appreciated by anyone who appreciates good writing. I can relate to resisting his works, though; they look daunting.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote:The beer scrambles were ridiculous. Not enough TOM to get them outright, and who is going to get Newcastle and Lowenbrau from the jumble?
I did. For Newcastle, the clue was "out with the old". My mind automatically completed "in with the new". First beer that brought to mind was Newcastle and the letters looked right.

For Lowenbrau, you have to be old enough to remember their ad slogan, "Here's to good friends. Tonight is kind of special... So tonight, let it be Löwenbräu."

https://youtu.be/3oUBaCyXWNk

Lazy bums at Jeopardy! left off both umlauts.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
MattKnowles wrote:Instead of school bus yellow I guessed taxi cab yellow.
So did I.
Can't say I did.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.