Wednesday, January 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7448, 2017-01-18

CONTESTANTS
Sherri Cohen, a nonprofit writer & editor from Brooklyn, New York
Aaron Ellis, a high school physics teacher from Whitestown, Indiana
John Avila, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $38,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. No preamble today, just a warm welcome to our newcomers, Sherri and Aaron. Welcome back to John. Wish you all good luck, and put you to work right now in the Jeopardy! Round.

Today you deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN AUTHORS (3/5)
4-LETTER EDIBLES (4/5)
CLASSIC DISNEY TITLE CHARACTERS (5/5)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE BIG 3-0 (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 9 R, 0 W
Aaron: 9 R, 2 W
Sherri: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sherri: $3,200
Aaron: $2,200
John: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sherri Cohen is not only a good competitor for our current champion, but she could also be a partner, because you, like our champ, play in a brass band, right?

Sherri: That's right. I actually play in a couple of brass bands.

Alex: Really?

Sherri: Yes. On the trombone. I play in a political activist collective and also a punk disco brass band.

Alex: Okay. Slide trombone, I take it.

Sherri: That's right.

Alex: Anybody in the brass band playing a valve trombone?

Sherri: No.

Alex: They're so rare. That's strange. Such a good instrument.

Alex: Aaron Ellis, high school physics teacher from Indiana. You had a pretty exciting trip to Bolivia some time ago. I want to hear about that.

Aaron: That's right, Alex. It was a service trip, and one weekend, everybody packed up, and we went--we were told we were going to go see this big giant tree, but then on the way, we were told actually we were going to see a German WWII Nazi photographer. And this photographer was Rommel's personal photographer and claimed to have been present when Rommel was forced to commit suicide.

Alex: Wow. Okay, that's exciting.

Alex: John Avila is an attorney from Arlington, Virginia, who worked at a grocery store near the Patriots training camp.

John: That's right. I worked there when I was in high school during the summer. And one day, all of a sudden, I was running the register and I looked up, and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was at my register. And he ordered--he got a protein bar and a bottle of water. It came to about $6, so he took out his wallet and he pulled out a $100 bill. And he gave it to me, but he's a nice guy, so he--thinking ahead, also pulled out a $1, so that I would only have to make $95 in change. This was a lot easier for a cashier than $94.

Alex: Darn. When you started that story, I said, "Tom Brady told him to keep the change from a $100 bill."

[Laughter]

John: I wish.

Alex: Isn't that what you all thought, too? You bet. Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sherri found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. John had $2,600, Aaron had $2,600, and Sherri was at $4,400. Sherri wagered $2,500.

IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF HISTORY $1000: Retracing this 1930s journey will take you thousands of miles from Ruijin to Yan'an
(Alex: Sherri?)
(Sherri: What is the...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4-LETTER EDIBLES $800: Shoepeg is a white variety of this

AMERICAN AUTHORS $200: In 1990 Time magazine called this "Presumed Innocent" author the "Bard of the Litigious Age"
(Sherri: Who is John Grisham?)

IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF HISTORY $800: Hike in the footsteps of settlers & Native Americans on the Natchez Trace, starting in Natchez in this state
(Sherri: What is Arizona?)
(Aaron: What is New Mexico?)

AMERICAN AUTHORS $1000: In 1984 a Presidential Medal of Freedom went to this author of "Hondo" & dozens of other Western novels

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $4,400
Aaron: $2,600
Sherri: $1,900
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THIS LAND IS MY LAND (5/5)
SHELLFISH (4/5)
SPORTS NICKNAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BIOGRAPHIES (3/5)
CERAMICS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
Y_O_Y (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 11 R, 1 W
Aaron: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sherri: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Aaron snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. John had $5,600, Aaron had $3,400, and Sherri was at $1,900. Aaron wagered $3,000.

SPORTS NICKNAMES $1200: In a 1972 AFC playoff game, Franco Harris made the winning TD with a "divine" shoestring catch dubbed this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Aaron who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. John had $14,800, Aaron had $15,600, and Sherri was at $700. Aaron wagered $2,000.

CERAMICS $1600: This tin-glazed earthenware named for a city just southeast of the Hague was first made in the 17th century
(Alex: Aaron?)
[Aaron shakes his head]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BIOGRAPHIES $1200: "Illustrations of Camp Life" is a chapter title in a biography of this 19th century photographer
(Aaron: Who is Audubon?)
(Sherri: Who is Adams?)

BIOGRAPHIES $2000: If you didn't read John McCormick's 1987 biography on this philosopher, you may be condemned to repeat it

Y_O_Y $400: Young fellow seen here turning 3 on his special day

CERAMICS $800: China's Yung Lo period was noted for its paper-thin white bowls called t'o t'ai, also known by this brittle name

SHELLFISH $2000: Each year over 100 million of the red species of this shellfish on Christmas Island mass migrate to spawn in the sea

CERAMICS $2000: In 1901 Edward VII gave permission for this Lambeth, London pottery to use the word "Royal" in its name

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $14,800
Aaron: $13,600
Sherri: $700

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
John: Wager $12,401 to cover Aaron, but no more than $13,399 so as not to fall behind Sherri's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $11,001.
Aaron: Since you're within 4/5ths of John's score, you should wager between $2,401 (venusian) and $11,200 (martian), beating John's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Sherri: Too bad for you, Sherri, your score is less than John's score minus Aaron's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Dec. 7, 1787 30 delegates at Battell's Tavern gathered & made history in what's now this state capital

FINAL SCORES
Sherri: $700 - $501 = $199 (What is Massachuset) (3rd place)
Aaron: $13,600 - $12,000 = $1,600 (What is Albany New York?) (2nd place)
John: $14,800 - $12,401 = $2,399 (What is Annapolis?) (38202-day champion: $2,399)
(Alex: [To Aaron] And we were going for a state capital. The city, not the state.)
(Alex: [To John] December 7, 1787. History made because Delaware became the first state to sign the U.S. Constitution. And the capital of Delaware is [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $14,800, 20 R, 1 W
Aaron: $13,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Sherri: $3,200, 8 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $31,800

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 20/58 = .345
Aaron: 20/60 = .333
Sherri: 8/59 = .136
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLASSIC DISNEY TITLE CHARACTERS $1000: He foils an Indian princess kidnapping plot & attempted murder
(Aaron: Who is Aladdin?)

IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF HISTORY $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Starting at the Boston Common and making its way past the Boston Massacre site, the Old North church, over the Charles to Old Ironsides and ending at the Bunker Hill Monument is this two-word path

THE BIG 3-0 $600: This woman gained fame by preparing tasty meals in just 30 minutes

SPORTS NICKNAMES $2000: It was the nickname of the horse Phar Lap, and also preceded "Machine" in the nickname of a baseball team

THIS LAND IS MY LAND $1600: It took until the 21st century for Oregon to honor this Clark with a summit named Clark's Mountain
(Sherri: Who is Meriwether Clark?)

CERAMICS $1200: The tall, cylindrical Greek vase seen here is called a lekythos and usually held this oil sacred to the Greeks

SHELLFISH $1600: The name of this fan-shaped shellfish is from the French for "shell"
(John: What is a conch?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Long March
corn
Scott Turow
Mississippi
Louis L'Amour
the Immaculate Reception
Delftware
Mathew Brady
Santayana
birthday boy
eggshell
crabs
Royal Doulton
Dover
Peter Pan
the Freedom Trail
Rachael Ray
Big Red
William Clark
olive oil
a scallop
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Dec. 7, 1787 30 delegates at Battell's Tavern gathered & made history in what's now this state capital

John Avila: 14,800-12,401=2,399
Aaron Ellis: 13,600-12,000=1,600
Sherri Cohen: 700-501=199

John is now a 3-time champion with $40,600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dover, Delaware (Sherri-MassachusetI) (Aaron-Albany New York) (John- Annapolis)
Daily Doubles
Sherri: 4400-2500
Aaron: 3400+3000
Aaron: 15600-2000

Coryats
John: 14800
Aaron: 13800
Sherri: 3200

Combined: 31,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Add tapa = cover as yet another Spanish word that J! has thrown at me that I didn't know. Seriously, as fluent as I am in Spanish, how do they keep tripping me up like that?

I knew shoepeg corn entirely from a discussion on it in a prior game.

We missed another opportunity for a "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!" I am disappointed.

I thought Pikes Peak was by far easier than Downers Grove = IL or Martha's Vineyard.

Can we poll Scott Turow?

"Birthday Boy" was also vey tricky for $400 IMO. I think they were expecting it to BEGIN with a Y, which is often a pitfall in categories like this.

I had no guess as usual, but how did two people totally overlook the word "capital"?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

2/3 wrote a state. Another potential win thrown away by terrible 2nd place wagering. How many missed FJs in a row by the leader is that, 16? 17? Sheesh. I got it, but it took waaaaaaay longer than it should have.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Albany for me.
satori
Contributor

Post by satori »

xxaaaxx wrote:2/3 wrote a state. Another potential win thrown away by terrible 2nd place wagering. How many missed FJs in a row by the leader is that, 16? 17? Sheesh. I got it, but it took waaaaaaay longer than it should have.
I literally can't believe how many people are well-informed enough to have a bunch of money going into FJ, yet don't understand the first thing about wagering.

If you're in second, you have to assume the person in first will bet enough to win if they get FJ right, so you should bet as if they'll get it wrong. (In many cases, as in tonight's game, the right second-place bet would have won the game whether or not the second-place person got FJ correct.)

How can so many people botch that??
Thinking globally, acting locally, snacking frequently.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

How in the world was that a triple miss on FJ? They just had a clue yesterday about when the Constitution was written (1787) and then FJ gives you 1787 and "delegates" and no one thinks "First State"? I thought one of them would tease it out.

And if you don't know much about ceramics, why bet enough to fall out of the lead?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I had no guess as usual
I wasn't able to piece together the clues on this one either, but this Final has a pretty finite list of things that could be correct: state capitals that were around in the 1700s. I went with Trenton, because you have to at least make a stab, right?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I lived in Delaware for four years, and I knew that not only was Delaware the first state to ratify the Constitution, but I also knew that the date "December 7, 1787" appears on the state flag, and I've even heard December 7th (which is also Pearl Harbor Day) referred to as "Delaware Day".

So, this one was easy for me, but those are unique circumstances. I can totally see how this one might be hard to work out in 30 seconds if the date of December 7th and the name of the tavern don't mean anything to you.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I picked a fine time to completely blank on the capital of Delaware. I blame the pickle I ate. Said Albany just to have something.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I don't really get why Aaron wagered $2000 on that last daily double. Seemed pretty obvious that a small bet would've been best there. He still could've won if he'd wagered better in FJ!, so... guessing just not the world's best wager-er there.
skullturf wrote:I lived in Delaware for four years, and I knew that not only was Delaware the first state to ratify the Constitution, but I also knew that the date "December 7, 1787" appears on the state flag, and I've even heard December 7th (which is also Pearl Harbor Day) referred to as "Delaware Day".

So, this one was easy for me, but those are unique circumstances. I can totally see how this one might be hard to work out in 30 seconds if the date of December 7th and the name of the tavern don't mean anything to you.
I dunno', I got this one. Knowing that Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution sometime in 1987, even without knowing the exact date, was enough for me to get it.

Was the wording that confusing? I thought it seemed obvious they wanted the capital, but since two of the contestants picked states instead...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vowela wrote:Was the wording that confusing? I thought it seemed obvious they wanted the capital, but since two of the contestants picked states instead...
I didn't think so, but I guess under the lights your could misread "what's now this state capital" as "what's now this state's capital"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sure, I can honor the request the poll Scott Turow. I called the Grisham neg as soon as I saw the clue. Meriwether Clark, I did not anticipate that one.

I thought the interpretation to guess Aladdin using "Indian" was interesting as I was wrong a different way when I had John Smith.

Sherri had a promising start and never seemed to recover after her DD miss.

Aaron was in perfect position to take advantage of a miss by the leader (epidemic at this point of 17 straight) and instead only assured himself of 2nd place money.

John has shown us his A game sandwiched by his B games. He's 2/4 on DDs and 1/3 on FJ! clues to go with a respectable 16,867 Coryat avg.

Credit to him in this game for at least naming a capital city.

My U.S. History teachers taught me better than to have written Hartford in somehow making a Charter Oak connection to the clue. In between time up and the first reveal I realized my error and knew I should have had Dover. My bad all the way and I can't blame East Coast advantage for that type of clue.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The way Sherri was playing and hunting for DDs, I was surprised to see her total at end of DJ.

No get on FJ. I got to -- something to do with Constitution, no further.

Oh boy Aaron!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Elijah Baley wrote: And if you don't know much about ceramics, why bet enough to fall out of the lead?
Vowela wrote:I don't really get why Aaron wagered $2000 on that last daily double. Seemed pretty obvious that a small bet would've been best there. He still could've won if he'd wagered better in FJ!, so... guessing just not the world's best wager-er there.
Vowela, answered your own question. I'm thinking if he had the lead going into FJ, he might have wagerd some other all wrong random amount, like $5000.

I had Dover in under five seconds and expect this to poll over 90%. With John's $2399 final score, I also expect there to be a high number of fourth podium wins.
I'll have to check the archive to see if I'm included in that, as I didn't right any of my LT down.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:I thought the interpretation to guess Aladdin using "Indian" was interesting as I was wrong a different way when I had John Smith.
The category was CLASSIC DISNEY TITLE CHARACTERS
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

econgator wrote:
Vowela wrote:Was the wording that confusing? I thought it seemed obvious they wanted the capital, but since two of the contestants picked states instead...
I didn't think so, but I guess under the lights your could misread "what's now this state capital" as "what's now this state's capital"
That's a point I hadn't considered and offers the most plausible explanation for why not one but two contestants would write down names of states when the clue clearly asked for a capital.

That was an extremely difficult FJ unless you live, or had once lived, in Delaware. It required knowledge of three separate facts: 1) the significance of the date; 2) the state where that tavern was located; and 3) the capital of that state. Thinking N.J. had some historical connection to the Constitution, I guessed Trenton. (Knew 1 & 3, but not 2.)

Having read several discussions of wagering theory here, I was stunned when Aaron bet $2,000 with an $800 lead on the penultimate clue. Nothing to gain and the lead going into FJ to lose.
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vowela wrote:I dunno', I got this one. Knowing that Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution sometime in 1987, even without knowing the exact date, was enough for me to get it.
Are they having a big 30th anniversary celebration this year?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: I had Dover in under five seconds and expect this to poll over 90%. With John's $2399 final score, I also expect there to be a high number of fourth podium wins.
I'll have to check the archive to see if I'm included in that, as I didn't right any of my LT down.
I count the posts for having Dover as 5/11 for 45%, so I would think it gets no higher than 55% in the weekly and will not come close to sniffing 90%.