Monday, January 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7451, 2017-01-23

CONTESTANTS
Vidya Srinivasan, a student from Chevy Chase, Maryland
Sean Harrington, an engineer from Houston, Texas
Neil Uspal, a pediatric emergency medicine physician from Seattle, Washington (whose 2-day cash winnings total $25,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone. Last week was uneven--ups and downs. Big win, small win. I'm starting this week with the hope that every day will have a big winner. Vidya, Sean, and Neil, good luck. Let's see if it works out. Now let's take a look at the categories for this first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FROM CHUMPS TO CHAMPS (5/5)
HEALTH & MEDICINE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
QUIZINE (4/4)
SHOOTING BLANKS (5/5)
GREEK LETTERS & ROMAN NUMERALS (5/5)
AMERICAN WOMEN (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 12 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
Neil: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Vidya: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Neil found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Neil had $2,200, Sean had $1,600, and Vidya was at $600. Neil made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

HEALTH & MEDICINE $1000: Daltonism is a type of this, a problem with cone receptors
(Neil: What is blindness?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Neil: What is [*]?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Neil: $4,400
Sean: $2,200
Vidya: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vidya Srinivasan is from Chevy Chase, Maryland. We've had a number of contestants named Srinivasan on the program. I hope you're not all related.

Vidya: Well, we're just the same person in different face masks, Alex.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, well, okay. Now you have a good sense of humor. And I understand you were once part of a prank in which you wound up being taped to a wall?

Vidya: Yes. So actually, I was in high school during Occupy Wall Street, and so we decided to do a prank that was Occupy-themed. There was a lot of things going on. There was a pile of dirt. There were people playing the banjo. But I was actually duct-taped to a wall to occupy it for four or five hours.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, you do have a sense of humor.

[Laughter]

Alex: Sean Harrington, engineer from Houston, Texas, who works for what?

Sean: I work for the International Space Station program in supportability engineering logistics.

Alex: Which means what, supplying the space station, basically?

Sean: More of forecasting the maintenance demand for the space station.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Now our champion, Neil Uspal from Seattle, Washington, had to drive from Philly to Iowa in one day. Why?

Neil: It was actually Iowa to Philly.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Neil: So I was starting a new job in Philadelphia, and we had this whole--we were moving from the West Coast. We had this whole plan, do this whole road trip, have a great time. And then we were in the hotel in Iowa, and I look at the--when I had to be there by, and I realized it was not two days from now but the next day.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

Neil: So basically, just booked it, got in around 4:00 A.M., and I was able to make my physical and make the job, so...

Alex: You got the job.

Neil: Got there. I got there.

Alex: All right, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN WOMEN $800: "She guided Post through Pentagon Papers and Watergate", said the headline of her obituary in her own paper
(Alex: She ran The Washington Post.)

AMERICAN WOMEN $1000: This "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" author was also the first president of the New England Woman Suffrage Association
(Vidya: Who is Susan B. Anthony?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $6,800
Neil: $4,600
Vidya: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PYRAMIDS (5/5)
BOOKS BY PROFESSORS (2/3)
NATIONAL PARKS OF THE WORLD (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RELIGIOUS MATTERS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOUBLE O, 7 (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a 7-letter word, and it will have a double "O" in it.)
OTHER BOND FILM CHARACTERS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Neil: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Vidya: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Neil had $9,000, Sean had $13,200, and Vidya was at $2,000. Sean wagered $4,000.

NATIONAL PARKS OF THE WORLD $1600: Venezuela's Canaima National Park is home to the picturesque Canaima Lagoon & this other watery icon

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Neil who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Neil had $13,400, Sean had $17,200, and Vidya was at $2,000. Neil wagered $4,000.

RELIGIOUS MATTERS $1200: According to legend, this gospel writer's body & relics were transported from Alexandria, Egypt to Venice in 828
(Neil: Who is John?)
(Alex: No. Who is the patron saint of Venice? [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NATIONAL PARKS OF THE WORLD $800: This giant monitor lizard is a must-see on a visit to the Indonesian park located on 3 of the Lesser Sunda Islands
(Vidya: What is a Gila monster?)

BOOKS BY PROFESSORS $1200: This Cornell professor wrote "English Metres" but is best known for 1918's "The Elements of Style"

RELIGIOUS MATTERS $2000: In 1959 Young Oon Kim, known as Miss Kim, left South Korea to become this church's first missionary in the United States
(Sean: Who are the Moonies?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $17,200
Neil: $12,600
Vidya: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMAL SONGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Sean: Wager $8,001 to cover Neil, but no more than $9,199 so as not to fall behind Vidya's doubled score.
Neil: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,400 (martian), and you'll win the game if Sean wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Vidya: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this hit from a 1933 Disney "Silly Symphony" inspired a Tony-winning 1962 drama & an Oscar-nominated 1966 film

FINAL SCORES
Vidya: $4,000 - $0 = $4,000 (What is Jumb) (3rd place)
Neil: $12,600 - $4,601 = $7,999 (What is 101 Dalmatians) (2nd place)
Sean: $17,200 - $8,000 = $9,200 (What is Bluebird) (New champion: $9,200)
(Alex: No, the song was [*]. And the play and the film--Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Neil: $15,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: $14,800, 22 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Vidya: $4,000, 8 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Sean: 22/59 = .373
Neil: 19/60 = .317
Vidya: 8/58 = .138
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HEALTH & MEDICINE $200: If you want to vent this lymphatic organ, you'll find out that it filters old red blood cells out of the bloodstream
(Sean: What is the liver?)

HEALTH & MEDICINE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) The spine bends forward as the thoracic vertebrae become compressed in a condition called kyphosis, more commonly known as a Dowager's hump, a symptom of this disease of thinning bones

HEALTH & MEDICINE $800: Those who suffer from carpal tunnel or arthritis may get a shot of this 9-letter steroid to reduce inflammation
(Neil: What is cortisol?)

QUIZINE $400: Look up "calamari" in the "Food Lovers Companion" & it says "see" this; (doesn't sound nearly as appetizing)
(Sean: What is octopus?)

AMERICAN WOMEN $200: In 1961 she topped Clare Boothe Luce & Jackie Kennedy to be named woman most admired by Americans for the 13th time in 14 years
(Vidya: Who is Marilyn Monroe?)

GREEK LETTERS & ROMAN NUMERALS $400: Bruce Banner knows a little something about this letter

GREEK LETTERS & ROMAN NUMERALS $800: No hints, but having been in a fraternity or sorority would help
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

QUIZINE $800: This Cajun crayfish stew takes its name from a word meaning "suffocated"
(Neil: What is gumbo?)
(Vidya: What is jambalaya?)

OTHER BOND FILM CHARACTERS $1200: Ben Whishaw is the new computer-savvy version of this character

PYRAMIDS $1600: Who says a pyramid has to be pointy & up? Here's the headquarters of Slovak Radio in this capital city

PYRAMIDS $400: At 42.3 billion candlepower, the light beaming form the top of this Las Vegas pyramid is the strongest in the world
(Neil: What is the Excalibur?)

PYRAMIDS $2000: The reverse of the Great Seal of the United States features an unfinished pyramid with this right above it
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

RELIGIOUS MATTERS $1600: Remove your shoes & cover your head when entering a gurdwara, a temple of this religion founded in northern India
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
color blindness
Katharine Graham
Julia Ward Howe
Angel Falls
Saint Mark
the Komodo dragon
William Strunk, Jr.
the Unification Church
"Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?"
the spleen
osteoporosis
cortisone
squid
Eleanor Roosevelt
gamma
psi
étouffée
Q
Bratislava
Luxor
an eye (the Eye of God)
Sikhism
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMAL SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this hit from a 1933 Disney "Silly Symphony" inspired a Tony-winning 1962 drama & an Oscar-nominated 1966 film

Neil Uspal: 12600-4601=7999
Sean Harrington: 17200-8000=9200 (New champ)
Vidya Srinivasan: 4000-0=4000

Correct response:
Spoiler
"Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" (Neil – 101 Dalmatians) (Sean – Bluebird) (Vidya – Jumb)

Daily Doubles
Neil: 2200+2200
Sean: 13200+4000
Neil: 13400-4000

Coryats
Neil: 15400
Sean: 14800
Vidya: 4000

Combined: 34,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Neil had made the same bet today he made Friday, we'd have seen our first tie-breaker clue. I guess him correcting Alex in the interview cursed us as well as him.

Strong performance by Sean.

No chance for me on FJ. I tried to make something work from the King & I, but nothing was happening. Probably because that was the wrong play/movie.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vidya is the first Srinivasan surname in the Archive not to win a game on J! Neil is not the first contestant to contradict Alex and not win the game.

Neil got a BMS for blindness to add "color" and all I could wonder is why he did not have it off Daltonism at the start.

Sean bet 4000 on his DD and not the standard 2000 or even lower. There was no way he was going to sit on his 17200 and bet nothing. The game should have had the first tiebreaker or Neil winning by a buck. Sean caught a break.

30 seconds was not enough for me to work through the FJ! clue. Off on everything all around, but wanting to have something I wrote, "Bare Necessities." The only thing that helps a bit in missing the clue is that the category was not DISNEY SONGS as that would sting more.

If goatman takes his streak to 21 on this clue I tip my hat. What would stink is if he or anyone else had the right idea, but went the "Virginia" way for a response.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Brutal FJ, IMO. That is a lot of connections to make in 30 seconds.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Women for $200 was way too wide open to take a guess on.

Also thought 365 in roman numerals was a LOT of legwork for $200. And they expect us to know the area code to Toronto?!

Susan B. Anthony as author of Battle Hymn of the Republic?! I lol'd.

Komodo dragon was one of those understandable TSes to me. I also got snagged on Gila monster, knew it was wrong, but it kept blocking me from the correct response.

I precalled that the Pyramids category would have a clue on the game show.

I thought the clue was indicating that the drama and movie had the same name as the song. Not like that would've helped me any.
Leander

Post by Leander »

No idea, but I wonder if it was correct to say the song inspired the work, or did the song inspire the title?

I also did not assume from the clue that the film was an adaption of the play.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Too many leaps to make in that FJ, and to add insult to injury one of the ads that preceded FJ in my area was for COPD....featuring the big bad wolf.

I said "To Kill a Mockingbird" hoping that there was some sort of songbird connection thing going on, but that's not a tony winning play.

I can only hope that when I go on there is a James Bond category...
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I thought the BMS on "blindness" was overly generous.

I feel like I should have gotten FJ!, and given more time, I might have, but I wasn't able to connect all the dots quickly enough.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What was $200 in women?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Neil had a 25% chance on that DD and he looked like it came to him just a moment too late. But, another good game and congrats to the new champ.

That has to be one of the more fiendishly tricky FJs in a while. Come up with a random Disney song (ok, with reference to some kind of animal) from 1933 that is somehow tied to a 1962 play and a 1966 movie?? The fact that the clue was particularly wordy didn't help (I could see someone being confused about whether they were looking for the title of the song or the 1933 short or what).
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I'm surprised that Sean apparently didn't dispute him not getting the answer correct on the question concerning the Unification Church. He said the Moonies... I'm not sure if that's considered an insulting term or not, but my wife and I agreed it would be like "Jeopardy!" looking for an answer that would be "The Society of Friends," and not accepting "Quakers" as a correct answer. I always thought Moonies was equal to the Unification Church.

According to Wikipedia, at least, it says this: "Moonie is a colloquial term sometimes used to refer to members of the Unification Church."

FJ... wow. Even with Google it took me a few minutes to get that answer correct. Pure hard-boiled brutal. Ouch.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Vidya is the first Srinivasan surname in the Archive not to win a game on J! Neil is not the first contestant to contradict Alex and not win the game.

Neil got a BMS for blindness to add "color" and all I could wonder is why he did not have it off Daltonism at the start.

If goatman takes his streak to 21 on this clue I tip my hat. What would stink is if he or anyone else had the right idea, but went the "Virginia" way for a response.
I reckon Neil just NHO Dalton, but he made the inferential jump on BMS. Sadly this concludes Goatman's streak. Got as far as "Three Little Pigs" but then sidetracked into disturbing imagery of "Lord of the Flies" >>>Pig head on a stick, stuck in mind, dithered over "could this be yet ANOTHER LOTF clue?!? It was a film...uh..." but at the 29s mark wondered; "O heck, Is this about the Big Bad Wolf?! DOHHHHHHHHH.... sigh. Still couldn't jump to Virginia Woolf in that brief shining moment... just wasn't there. So sad. ;)

44R with LT: Wash Post > Kate Graham; Battle Hymn of the Republic > Julia Ward Howe; Komodo Dragon; Strunk, Wm Jr, (Cornell, of Strunk & White, recurring!);
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Elijah Baley wrote:
That has to be one of the more fiendishly tricky FJs in a while. Come up with a random Disney song (ok, with reference to some kind of animal) from 1933 that is somehow tied to a 1962 play and a 1966 movie?? The fact that the clue was particularly wordy didn't help (I could see someone being confused about whether they were looking for the title of the song or the 1933 short or what).
It's not that it's completely impossible, but my God, to have to parse the clue, think of movies from 1966 (I got that far, and even skimmed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wollf" in my mind), then make the connection to the Disney song (which I did not make), and THEN, to top it all off, writing what is a very long title for FJ! - pretty close to impossible IMO.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Unification Church's Wikipedia page says they consider Moonires to be offensive. So that is why they didn't take it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

nlw44 wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
It's not that it's completely impossible, but my God, to have to parse the clue, think of movies from 1966 (I got that far, and even skimmed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wollf" in my mind), then make the connection to the Disney song (which I did not make), and THEN, to top it all off, writing what is a very long title for FJ! - pretty close to impossible IMO.
I don't mean that I think it's impossible, just really tricky. It's certainly reasonable that the reference to the play and movie get you to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - I think it's more likely to work backwards on this clue - but unless it fortuitously pops into your head, it's a lot to try to figure out in 30 seconds.
Last edited by Elijah Baley on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think we have a candidate for toughest FJ of the season. What the ...

Anyone who helps maintain the ISS is alright by me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Add me to the list of those who had no shot at this FJ. I said "Bear Necessities" just to say something. (If you spell it "bare", it's not an animal song.)

And add me to the list of those who think color blindness is not a more specific form of blindness.

For the clue asking who wrote the Battle Hymn of the Republic, would they accept "Howe?" :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: For the clue asking who wrote the Battle Hymn of the Republic, would they accept "Howe?" :D
Why?