FJs for the 1/23/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/23/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 pm

The title of this hit from a 1933 Disney "Silly Symphony" inspired a Tony-winning 1962 drama & an Oscar-nominated 1966 film
24%
Her husband won in 1927; in 1934 she was the 1st woman to win the National Geographic Society's Hubbard Medal for exploration
35%
Their name comes from the Greek word for "Egyptian"
74%
He said of his 1949 play & its main character, "I could write about failure only because I could deal with it…I knew how he felt"
84%
The coat of arms of this South African city shows 2 cornucopias, pouring out flowers & water
61%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
7%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
SAY IT IN ITALIAN $1000: The 3-word name of this Mozart opera can be translated as "Thus do they all"
55%
HISTORY $400: In the 8th century B.C., Phoenician traders founded this future capital of Sicily
52%
WORDS FOR TRAVELERS $1200: The Italian word for "pilgrim" is this, also in the name of a sparkling water from the country
56%
Prior to the Monday FJ! clue I was familiar with the Albee play title being a pun on the Disney song title.
46%
Mary Leakey or Amelia Earhart was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
45%
For the Thursday FJ! clue I figured out it was "Death of a Salesman"/Willy Loman being referenced, but I had the wrong playwright.
7%
Cape Town was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
15%
Johannesburg was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
13%
Pretoria was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
7%

Total votes: 127

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/23/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMAL SONGS

1/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this hit from a 1933 Disney "Silly Symphony" inspired a Tony-winning 1962 drama & an Oscar-nominated 1966 film

1/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDALS & DECORATIONS

1/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her husband won in 1927; in 1934 she was the 1st woman to win the National Geographic Society's Hubbard Medal for exploration

1/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGIOUS GROUPS

1/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Their name comes from the Greek word for "Egyptian"

1/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PLAYWRIGHTS

1/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He said of his 1949 play & its main character, "I could write about failure only because I could deal with it…I knew how he felt"

1/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN CITIES

1/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The coat of arms of this South African city shows 2 cornucopias, pouring out flowers & water

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
"Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf?"
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Copts (or Coptics)
Arthur Miller
Bloemfontein
The players were 4/14 (28.57%) with a 0-0-2-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two triple stumpers followed by a Daily Double responded to correctly.

SAY IT IN ITALIAN $1000: The 3-word name of this Mozart opera can be translated as "Thus do they all"

HISTORY $400: In the 8th century B.C., Phoenician traders founded this future capital of Sicily

WORDS FOR TRAVELERS $1200: The Italian word for "pilgrim" is this, also in the name of a sparkling water from the country

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Cosi fan tutte
Palermo
pellegrino
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/23/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Bare Necessities"
I have heard a restaurant server offer "Pellegrino" as a water option as opposed to tap water.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

No guesses Monday-Wednesday, Pretoria.

I was aware of the Virginia Woolf/big bad wolf thing, but neither song nor play/movie occurred to me in the time limit.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No idea Monday. One problem being I was trying to think of a song that inspired a play, not inspired the title of a play.

Would have gone with Earhardt to put something down. Never would have guessed Lindbergh got an exploration medal for his flight, or that his wife played any role that would have earned her a medal.

Clammed on the Sicily question, unable to decide between Palermo and Syracuse.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Not bad for me.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
Should have done better on the Italian-themed extras - Not sure I ever knew Palermo was the capital...Just blanked on Pellegrino
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Mon - Talk to the Animals (...I might have been influenced by watching Doctor Dolittle that weekend)
Tue - Mrs Lindbergh :evil:
Thu - That's Death of a Salesman! Edward Albee! *reveal* %@$#!!! I blame my cold and I'm stickin with that.

Palermo was so insta given how often I've seen Patton.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I didn't give myself credit for Friday's FJ because although I got to the right city, I fear my spelling would not have passed the "sounds like" rule. It doesn't help that I'm not really solid on how it is supposed to be pronounced.
Teems with quiet fun.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

The guy with the husky avatar missed the FJ involving wolves.

I just didn't get there in 30 seconds. Best thing I could come up with was "What's New, Pussycat?" which I know was the title of a 1960s movie, was also the title of a song, and mentions an animal.

I didn't really expect it to be correct, but it was the best I could do.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Absolutely nothing right this week. Except for some DDs that weren't mentioned on this poll. First shutout since I started taking part in this again, regularly.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

That Monday FJ...absolutely no chance. Hell, I'm a Merrie Melodies guy.

Friday...flipped a coin between Cape Town and Johannesburg. But didn't think either was right.

For Tuesday, count me as one who knew who Anne Morrow Lindbergh was, but had no idea that she won an explorer award.

Terrible week for me.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Monday: ?

ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I had no guess for Monday. For Tuesday, I didn't think of Lindbergh because I don't recall ever reading anything about his wife, so I couldn't be helped there. Never heard of "coptics" either, for Wednesday. For Thursday, I believe I had "Death of a Salesman" come to mind but I incorrectly attributed it to Tennessee Williams, and I went with him. Never heard of the Friday answer.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

:cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
Volante wrote: Mon - Talk to the Animals (...I might have been influenced by watching Doctor Dolittle that weekend)
Hey, me too (well, not the watching part)! It was the best I could come up with.

Coryat averaged 17,950 this week in 4 games (didn't score Monday). A whopping $150 higher than my previous peak four weeks ago. Still, feels like I'm making more progress anyway. Patience.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

Chalk up another in the 80% nongetters for "Silly Woolf"; had no idea 'Pellegrino' = 'pilgrim'! Yay learned somethin new! :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

:( :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x

Briefly considered "gnostics" since they were an early Christian sect located mostly in Egypt. But I think their name comes from Greek gnosis (knowledge) and remembered Coptics are Egyptian. Only Disney animal song I could think of from roughly that period was Jeminy Cricket singing "High Hopes."

I've eaten at hundreds of restaurants over the years and cannot once recall being asked "Water or Pelligrino?" Must be a Northeastern thing. Fairly shocked (and somewhat suspicious) that two-thirds of you knew Bloemfontein. NHOI (til Friday).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kenny wrote: Fairly shocked (and somewhat suspicious) that two-thirds of you knew Bloemfontein. NHOI (til Friday).

#7051, aired 2015-04-20 OH, B-CITY IN AFRICA $12,600 (Daily Double): The name of this South African judicial capital means "fountain of flowers"

#6307, aired 2012-02-07 GEOGRAPHIC MEANINGS $800: A South African city: "Fountain of Flowers"

#4319, aired 2003-05-15 WORLD CAPITALS $1000: The name of this South African capital means "fountain of flowers"

Lots of us here have been faithful J! followers for many years. Many of those who got it right have appeared on J! Even Hammer got it right, so come on now, just accept that the Friday FJ! clue happened to be a good one for 2/3rds or so of the poll voters.

A while back I was clueless on Keep Calm and Carry On with zero recognition and had to accept that it hit 67% on the weekly poll. I did not doubt the results, though. The FJ! round can produce a correct response unknown to one person and quite familiar to 66%+ of other viewers.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Kenny wrote: Fairly shocked (and somewhat suspicious) that two-thirds of you knew Bloemfontein. NHOI (til Friday).

#7051, aired 2015-04-20 OH, B-CITY IN AFRICA $12,600 (Daily Double): The name of this South African judicial capital means "fountain of flowers"

#6307, aired 2012-02-07 GEOGRAPHIC MEANINGS $800: A South African city: "Fountain of Flowers"

#4319, aired 2003-05-15 WORLD CAPITALS $1000: The name of this South African capital means "fountain of flowers"

Lots of us here have been faithful J! followers for many years. Many of those who got it right have appeared on J! Even Hammer got it right, so come on now, just accept that the Friday FJ! clue happened to be a good one for 2/3rds or so of the poll voters.

A while back I was clueless on Keep Calm and Carry On with zero recognition and had to accept that it hit 67% on the weekly poll. I did not doubt the results, though. The FJ! round can produce a correct response unknown to one person and quite familiar to 66%+ of other viewers.
I was being sarcastic. I never suspected anyone of cheating on an internet poll. Just very surprised so many of you knew the name of such an arcane African capital.

Oh, and I started watching Jeopardy! when Art Fleming was host, so I think that makes me pretty "faithful."
davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote::( :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x

Briefly considered "gnostics" since they were an early Christian sect located mostly in Egypt. But I think their name comes from Greek gnosis (knowledge) and remembered Coptics are Egyptian. Only Disney animal song I could think of from roughly that period was Jeminy Cricket singing "High Hopes."
it was pointed out in the daily thread that "High Hopes" is not a Disney song. Jiminy Cricket sang "When You Wish Upon a Star."

http://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39 ... es#p238599