Friday, February 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, February 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:The sound may be unmistakable, but it is also unidentifiable to the specificity required. I think the best you can say is that it is a pneumatic tool. They should have asked a BMS for stapler, and given it for saying 'pneumatic', or 'air' gun/stapler/nailer/hammer. Even a narrow crown stapler or brad nailer can sound just like this recording. The only wrong answer is a Ace T-50 stapler, because you don't hear the whang of the spring. I didn't even like the perfect tempo of the nailer recording, because you usually throw 3-4 quick rounds and re-position.
I agree. It's the sound of a pneumatic tool. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and you'll see lots of different pneumatic attachments and they would all produce a similar sound. Presumably the sound we heard was a nail gun, but it was a poor question.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Then again, my mom somehow thinks that "reef" is a synonym for "pull", which is supported by absolutely no dictionary I've ever checked.
You're reefing my leg.
tiwonge wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Marsh/swamp seemed like a coinflip at $200.
If you know geography, the Great Dismal Swamp (not Great Dismal Marsh) is a swamp in northeastern NC/southeastern VA.
When I first saw "Great Dismal" in the clue, I thought it might be about William Gibson. But then I heard and saw the rest of the words and got it right.

I was going to say "adjustable spanner" for the crescent wrench until Alex or I got to the moon/lunar part of the clue (whichever it was).
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Crescent is a brand name; adjustable wrenches of that name are still made, but I doubt that they are nearly as well known as they once were. I'll bet that more people nowadays just call them "adjustable wrenches".

I have a couple of Crescent-brand adjustable wrenches, including a small one (3 inches long, once belonged to my grandfather) that was extraordinarily useful for bolting down water closets in my construction days; the short length made it hard to overtorque the hold-down bolts and accidentally crack the porcelain. Still works fine.

And count me in with those who thought that the nail gun sound could easily be confused with a large staple gun (I have experience with both). Stupid clue.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

cthulhu wrote:Crescent is a brand name; adjustable wrenches of that name are still made, but I doubt that they are nearly as well known as they once were. I'll bet that more people nowadays just call them "adjustable wrenches".

I have a couple of Crescent-brand adjustable wrenches, including a small one (3 inches long, once belonged to my grandfather) that was extraordinarily useful for bolting down water closets in my construction days; the short length made it hard to overtorque the hold-down bolts and accidentally crack the porcelain. Still works fine.

And count me in with those who thought that the nail gun sound could easily be confused with a large staple gun (I have experience with both). Stupid clue.
Excellent point about Crescent being a trade name, but I guess the lunar TOM narrowed it down. Keep that Crescent wrench of your grandfather's, all the old tool classic brands are crap. I hate to go old grumpy grandpa on it, but it used to be that Channel-Lock Plier, Peterson Vice-Grips, Crescent wrenches, and a Ridgid Pipe wrench were the exceptions in your dream team toolbox of Craftsman tools. Now the brands mean nothing and they are cheap Chinese junk. But I wouldn't give up my 24V power tools to go back!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jpr281 wrote:I love how the audience gasped when it was revealed that Gary wagered $0, like they thought he had messed up.
Indeed. I thought that was one of the best bets I've seen in a while. In a world where increasingly more and more contestants make bad bets, that guy deserves a medal for his.
Bamaman wrote:I never knew the Washington Monument was once the world's tallest structure. I wonder where it would rank today.
Pretty low, actually. Nowadays a building isn't even considered "super tall" unless it's above 300m, the height of the Eiffel Tower. (Keep in mind the linked list isn't a direct comparison, but a lot of it goes into detail about comparing apples and oranges, so it's hard to directly place the Eiffel Tower on the list because you first have to know what you're exactly comparing it to.)
goatman wrote:11 yr old kid
Here meaning something different than its usual definition.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012