Monday, February 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7471, 2017-02-20

2017 College Championship semifinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Alex Bourzutschky, a junior at Caltech from Potomac, Maryland
Lilly Chin, a senior at MIT from Decatur, Georgia
Julia Marsan, a senior at Georgetown University from Brookfield, Wisconsin (subtotal of $24,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny, thank you. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Something interesting happened on our show last week. All five of the winners in the quarterfinal games were from large, well-known, nationally known colleges and universities. The four wild card spots, with the exception of the naval academy, went to smaller, specialized schools. What does that mean? I think we can draw this conclusion: that there are bright students all over America in small colleges and large colleges. And this week, we're happy to feature nine of them, starting with these three: Alex, Lilly, and Julia. Only the winner moves on. You know that. Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALL IN A DAY'S WORK (4/5)
ART & ARTISTS (5/5)
SILENT "K" (4/5)
MATH 4U (5/5)
NAMED FOR A PLACE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S RAP, KIDS! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lilly: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Julia: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Alex: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lilly: $3,600
Julia: $2,800
Alex: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: We know that our competitors are very bright young people, but they're diversified, also. Case in point, Alex Bourzutschky, whose major is physics at Caltech. You have competed in a number of athletic events. I wanna hear about that.

Alex Bourzutschky. Uh, yes. So last year I was on the diving team at Caltech, and I was also later in that year on the track team, and I pole vaulted. So I did two sports that involved falling 10, 11 feet.

Alex Trebek: One into a soft, wet surface. And the other into a foamy surface, right?

Alex Bourzutschky: Yeah.

Alex Trebek: How well did you do?

Alex Bourzutschky: I did fairly well, actually. In diving I was ninth in the conference.

Alex Trebek: All right, good.

Alex: Lilly Chin is a senior at MIT. She is from Decatur, Georgia. And this young lady presented a research paper to about 40,000 people on a very serious subject at MIT. What was it?

Lilly: Uh, I did cookie research.

Alex: What?

Lilly: Yeah. Um, so, it was part of a class called Measurement & Instrumentation, and I realized that even though I liked to cook, I had never really understood how baking works. So I looked at how changing the ratio of sugar to butter to flour makes different cookies.

Alex: And how do--is tasting a part of this?

Lilly: Yes, so I inflicted these cookies on my dorm-mates and it turns out that if you use a lot of flour in your cookies you get balls of flour that only kids who ate flour when they were kids enjoy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah, okay. Good. I like them moist.

Alex: Julia Marsan is a senior at Georgetown. She majors in classical languages and is the reigning trivia champ at Georgetown, but in a specific area.

Julia: Yes. I am the reigning Disney trivia champion at Georgetown.

[Laughter[

Julia: That's how I got the idea to try out.

Alex: And you're proud of that fact, aren't you?

Julia: Very.

Alex: How did you get to be such a Disney fan?

Julia: Uh, repeated exposure.

Alex: All right. Well, it has served you well.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Julia had $4,400, Lilly had $5,400, and Alex was at $3,000. Julia wagered $1,400.

NAMED FOR A PLACE $400: Any place that attracts a lot of visitors can be called this, even if it's not in Saudi Arabia

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SILENT "K" $200: It's what high octane gas is meant to prevent
(Alex Bourzutschky: What is knockback?)

NAMED FOR A PLACE $600: We're talking Turkey and this long-haired breed of rabbit

NAMED FOR A PLACE $1000: For contributions from Oak Ridge Lab & Vanderbilt Univ., element no. 117, a superheavy halogen, has been named this

ALL IN A DAY'S WORK $1000: An 8-hour day & I made 40 buttons, so divide output by input to get this measure, 5 per hour

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $6,200
Lilly: $5,600
Alex: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRESIDENT'S DAY (5/5)
WOMEN WRITERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TAKE A PEAK (5/5)
FLOWERS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BRITISH ENGLISH (4/5)
PUTTING THE "R" IN ENTERTAINMENT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lilly: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Alex: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Julia had $8,200, Lilly had $10,000, and Alex was at $9,400. Julia wagered $2,000.

WOMEN WRITERS $1600: In "Letter from Peking", she wrote of an American woman separated from her Chinese-American husband

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lilly who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Julia had $12,200, Lilly had $11,200, and Alex was at $9,400. Lilly wagered $2,000.

FLOWERS $2000: The Greek goddess of the rainbow gave her name to this flower that comes in a rainbow of colors

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FLOWERS $1200: Most roses at florist shops are the type that get their name from smelling like this beverage

BRITISH ENGLISH $2000: A baby's pacifier in the U.S. is called this in the U.K., a word also meaning a quilted bedspread

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $18,200
Lilly: $14,800
Alex: $12,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Julia: Wager $11,401 to cover Lilly.
Lilly: You ought to wager to cover Alex, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $14,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $10,400 (to shut out Alex) or less than $8,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Alex). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Julia.
Alex: You ought to try wagering between $2,201 and $5,800. This will top a $0 wager by Lilly while still beating Julia and Lilly on the Triple Stumper (should Julia wager to cover Lilly's doubled score and Lilly wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first recorded use of this word in print was when Nathan Hope posted an image of his busted lip online in 2002

FINAL SCORES
Alex: $12,600 - $12,600 = $0 (What is fatlip) (3rd place)
Lilly: $14,800 + $8,001 = $22,801 (What is selfie) (Finalist)
Julia: $18,200 - $8,200 = $10,000 (What is swoll?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $16,800, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Lilly: $14,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alex: $12,600, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $44,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lilly: 21/59 = .356
Julia: 20/60 = .333
Alex: 14/58 = .241
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ART & ARTISTS $800: The Henry Moore sundial seen here, "Man Enters the Cosmos", greets visitors to this city's Adler Planetarium

MATH 4U $400: The three sides of this kind of triangle are all of different lengths

LET'S RAP, KIDS! $800: "6', 7', 8' bunch... young money militia & I am the commissioner, you don't want start Weezy, 'cause the F is for finisher"
(Alex Bourzutschky: Who is Kanye West?)

MATH 4U $1000: (Jimmy shows a conic section on the monitor.) The intersection of two equal and opposite cones with a plane generates this two part curve, from Greek for "extravagance" or "excess"

SILENT "K" $800: Type of pine paneling seen here
(Julia: What is a knot? ...Knotted?)

ART & ARTISTS $400: Look, no hands! It's this famed marble sculpture by Alexandros

TAKE A PEAK $1200: In 2016 dozens of earthquakes were recorded beneath the surface of Mount Saint Helens in this state
(Alex Bourzutschky: What is Montana?)

FLOWERS $1600: The genus Tagetes is made up of this flower with "gold" in its name
(Lilly: What is goldenrod?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
mecca
knocking
Angora
tennessine
productivity
Pearl S. Buck
iris
tea roses
a comforter
selfie
Chicago
scalene
Lil' Wayne
hyperbola
knotted (or knotty)
Venus de Milo
Washington
marigold
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first recorded use of this word in print was when Nathan Hope posted an image of his busted lip online in 2002

FJ! clue as image:
Spoiler
Julia Marsan: 18200-8200=10000
Lilly Chin: 14800+8001=22801 (Finalist)
Alex Bourzutschky: 12600-12600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
selfie (Julia – swoll) (Alex – fatlip)

Daily Doubles
Julia: 4400+1400
Julia: 8200+2000
Lilly: 11200+2000

Coryats
Julia: 16800
Lilly: 14800
Alex: 12600

Combined: 44,200

The link has the full episode:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

I used an image capture of the FJ! clue as insurance for accuracy of the clue's wording.
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I took the skunkeroo in LET'S RAP, KIDS! and made it worse with one wrong guess.

It's Presidents Day, so of course the game had to have a PRESIDENT'S DAY category. I lost the run in the 1600 box as I bit off the year without taking into account the month. That meant the old guy was still in office and I was too early for it to be the new guy. Grrr! It can help to read the whole clue.

All kinds of scenarios for the FJ! round in a reasonably close match. One person getting the FJ! clue right and winning the game works for me instead of a wonky finish based on shaky wagering strategy.

The clue stumped me to ruin my chances of a 10/10 tourney. With time almost gone I went for something short to avoid a blank page and wrote, (no chance to be right) "viral."

As soon as I saw the correct response written I knew that was correct. It's seems so easy and obvious after the fact while during think time the solution was not there at all.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Very good FJ, and I missed it too.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I would've guessed meme.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

WAG on FJ. Talk about a lot of information that wasn't really useful or helpful because the clue boiled down to "guy posted a photo of himself." It seems like a clue that was a little too random though so I'm not a fan of it.

Alex's parents will probably tell him that when they grew up, it was common to hear someone get threatened specifically with a fat lip - but hey, it still beats writing nothing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I would've guessed meme.
That is what I wrote first but then saw it was somebody posting a picture of themselves and changed it to the right answers.

Despite what Alex said, if Alex from Cal Tech had gotten it right, the game would have been determined by the wagers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:I took the skunkeroo in LET'S RAP, KIDS! and made it worse with one wrong guess.
At least you had a guess.
MarkBarrett wrote:
It's Presidents Day, so of course the game had to have a PRESIDENT'S DAY category. I lost the run in the 1600 box as I bit off the year without taking into account the month. That meant the old guy was still in office and I was too early for it to be the new guy. Grrr! It can help to read the whole clue.
I very nearly made the same error, forgetting we used to change presidents later in the year. Had the clue not related to opening a park (or something like that), I would not have gotten Teddy.

Thanks for uploading the game.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Instaget FJ as it popped into my head after seeing "posted an image ... online" and knew OED had only recently granted it official-word status.

Felt sure it would be a triple get and Julia would be a finalist. Was somewhat shocked that two college students who are undoubtedly far more computer savvy than I didn't know it. Maybe because the word is so ubiquitous today, many millennials are unaware it was coined just 15 years ago.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The Naval Academy isn't a "small, specialized school"? I thought it was the definition of one! #openingremarks
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Nailed FJ cold, though I don't think the man's name was relevant to the answer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Waffled between viral and meme for both of them. Rejected viral because that obviously has appeared in print before, but under a different definition. Rejected meme because that obviously has appeared in print before, but under a different definition. Was stuck and couldn't think of anything else and left it on viral (although I told myself that's the more wrong of the two). Selfie never came to me.

I liked the shoutout to tennessine, one of my absolute favourite element names!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't even have to do any arithmetic, but that Math category was entirely over my head. Did run Silent K.

WLT "Troy" at $200?

KILIMANJARO IS NOT IN JAPAN GODDAMNIT WHY CAN'T I EVER KEEP THIS STRAIGHT AAARRRRRGH

0/5 in Presidents. No matter how hard I try, I can't keep the presidents pre-FDR straight.

Rick and Morty was an embarrassing miss for me. I've heard lots about it, but never pinned it to a network. Even just trying to pull up recent animated duos turned up nothing.

Sweet pea is a flower?!

"Gillian Flynn" was an extremely undervalued name at $400.

"Goldenrod" was absolutely monstrous negbait in that Flower clue.

Lach Trash: knocking, angora, tea rose

Rejected "selfie" as just not seeming right, and kept spinning my wheels the entire 30 seconds.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I went with duck lips, wondering if maybe this is what started that trend. Whether or not it did, I'm guessing it didn't start the term, at least.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Selfie came to me right away and I stuck with it, but for the rest of the music I tried to come up with something better.

Odd that Alex would have won if he had gotten it right.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Got this by "not reading too much into it" as AT likes to say; 'hmmm guy posting picture of him...SELF?!' Heartbreaking to lose it all on such a silly get, felt badly for Julia & Alex, great players!

LT: Element 117 = Tennessine (four newly discovered elements announced last year, been waiting for these to show up! Incl: 113 Nihonium Nh; 115 Muscovium Mc; 117 Ts; 118 Oganesson Og);
Tea roses; ran presidents and flowers; 0/5 in rappers and proud of it! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I said faceplant, which apparently dates (with a hyphen) back to 1982.

I liked all three players but found myself rooting for Lilly.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

With two female & one male contestants, DJ had two categories (flowers & women authors) geared toward women and put a DD under each. Not fair to Alex, IMO, as I've never seen two categories like Baseball & Classic Cars in one round with each having a DD.

Said "tennessium" for Nashville element and thought sure I had nailed an LT. SMH
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I was "pwned" by FJ today.