Monday, February 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Kenny wrote:With two female & one male contestants, DJ had two categories (flowers & women authors) geared toward women and put a DD under each. Not fair to Alex, IMO, as I've never seen two categories like Baseball & Classic Cars in one round with each having a DD.
It's never fair when Jeopardy has a clue where the contestant doesn't know the answer. Especially when it's a DD. :roll:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Slam Dunk instaget on FJ for me. I was gonna come in here and predict it should poll over 90% but I see about half the comments missing it. Oh my goodness, really?
OSXpert wrote:Odd that Alex would have won if he had gotten it right.

And of the three, his was by far the worst wager. Julia didn't make the standard cover wager but she still would have won had she got it right.
Lilly: I don't know if that was a generous or a dangerous wager, offering a tie-breaker to Julia if she had made the standard wager and they both stayed above Alex on a TS.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I would've guessed meme.
I knew meme was a scholarly concept that's a lot older than 2001 (Richard Dawkins came up with it in his The Selfish Gene in 1976).

I kept focusing on the mouth and the injury before going holistic after about 15 seconds.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I took the skunkeroo in LET'S RAP, KIDS! and made it worse with one wrong guess.
Maybe they feel that it would be popular with the college kids but I truly wish Jeopardy! would permanently shelve the rap categories. Alex sounds silly reading them and the lyrics do nothing to improve anyone's intelligence.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I believe Weezy said, "Real K's move in silence like knowledge" in the Jeopardy Remix of "6 Foot 7 Foot."
Kind of pop-heavy boards tonight, which explains why I had my worst game of the tournament and the students had their best. I barely had half of the combined Coryat, so I'll try not to voice my surprise/complain that students from Caltech and MIT didn't know "tennessine."
"Selfie" was all I could think of for FJ. I had no idea the term was that old.
Hoping for a third lap
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Golf wrote:
Kenny wrote:With two female & one male contestants, DJ had two categories (flowers & women authors) geared toward women and put a DD under each. Not fair to Alex, IMO, as I've never seen two categories like Baseball & Classic Cars in one round with each having a DD.
It's never fair when Jeopardy has a clue where the contestant doesn't know the answer. Especially when it's a DD. :roll:
Except that both female contestants went for categories that were female-oriented and both got the DD's. Are you suggesting that a typical male college student knows as much about flowers or women authors as a typical female college student? Come on. It was unfair, period.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:Got this by "not reading too much into it" as AT likes to say; 'hmmm guy posting picture of him...SELF?!' Heartbreaking to lose it all on such a silly get, felt badly for Julia & Alex, great players!

LT: Element 117 = Tennessine (four newly discovered elements announced last year, been waiting for these to show up! Incl: 113 Nihonium Nh; 115 Muscovium Mc; 117 Ts; 118 Oganesson Og);
Tea roses; ran presidents and flowers; 0/5 in rappers and proud of it! :P
Yep, Ts should have been a gimme around here. (Well, maybe not if you're new. :D )
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3355&p=216610#p216610
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

sarisson wrote:"Selfie" was all I could think of for FJ. I had no idea the term was that old.
Nor did I, but consider myself among the proud, the so far few to nail FJ (and in just five seconds after the clue being read). I still say the tournament has overall been easy, but today's boards were definitely the most difficult thus far. Took a nice goose egg on the rap category...I kept hoping they'd have an old school rapper or two or three in there, and kept going for the likes of the Snoop Doggs and Dres over the Kanyes and Drakes. Although, I fear the only rap lyrics I would truly know stone cold would be those for "The Message", "Rapper's Delight", and "Gangsta's Paradise".
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Golf

Post by Golf »

Kenny wrote:
Golf wrote:
Except that both female contestants went for categories that were female-oriented and both got the DD's. Are you suggesting that a typical male college student knows as much about flowers or women authors as a typical female college student? Come on. It was unfair, period.
Over the course of every single game there are countless details that are skewed towards one gender or the other. Much of Jeopardy game play is skewed towards men, but on the flip side, a higher percentage of women auditioners are selected to be contestants. As far as categories go, in the long run it will even out, but every game will probably lean towards one gender or the other.

But in the end, any losing contestant complaining about gender biased categories is going to get laughed out of the green room. It's not worth worrying about.
Last edited by Golf on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

What made this FJ hard, I think, is that selfies are usually showing off. Not my instinct to show off a busted lip. Of course, not my instinct to take selfies, either...
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

This game had one of the strongest rooting interests for me of any Jeopardy game I've seen. Not only was Alex representing my alma mater, but he was taking on hated rival MIT!

Alas, Alex played well, but he did even more poorly with pop songs than I did (I merely clammed on all of them, he had a neg or two), and didn't get any of the DDs, before missing that annoying FJ. Rats.

LT: (null set)

FJ: Missed it. Didn't even have a good guess.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

As someone who gets either 5/5 or 4/5 in virtually every instance of the most common Jeopardy category (Women/Female Authors), including the one today (only missed Beverly Cleary), I have to disagree with including that one. That category is easy for anyone who is good at literature categories regardless of gender.

However, I have found, among a sampling of friends and families, that women do a lot better on flowers than men do.

Also, boardies, would "work rate" have been fine in place of "productivity"? Didn't like that question.

Edit-
Category 13 wrote: And of the three, his was by far the worst wager. Julia didn't make the standard cover wager but she still would have won had she got it right.
Not at all. Considering that it's rare that at least one contestant doesn't get that category, the leader bets overly cautiously for no reason (look at her two DD bets today, both sub-optimal and both costing her at least a crush), and Lilly in 2nd won't bet it all either, there is a good chance that betting it all is good. Which it was.

The two questionable wagers were by Lilly and especially Julia. It didn't matter since Lilly got the sole solve, but nevertheless.
sarisson wrote:so I'll try not to voice my surprise/complain that students from Caltech and MIT didn't know "tennessine."
They didn't know it (and neither did I, a scientist for a living) because it has zilch to do with science. It's just pure trivia.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I came up with selfie, but wasn't super confident. Glad it was right!

I doubt your typical female college student knows any more about flowers than your typical male college student does.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I second IronNeck on the trans-uranics, but I don't want to diss Seaborgium here on the board. The whole endeavor of making these things in the laboratory is pointless, just like manned space missions, and have nothing to do with the advance of knowledge.

I meandered at first trying to think of a "tramp stamp" type term for the injury, and then thought of "selfie" without really using the clue except for the 2002 vintage. Very clever FJ I think.

Alex is the first pole vaulter I've ever heard about on Jeopardy. If he's only falling 10 or 11 feet, then I hope they have a 6 foot thick landing pad because, hell, twelvefootboy :)

I think Lily will take the tourney. She annoyed me the first game fishing for the DD's, and then not really betting aggressively. It just makes me pay more attention to the wager amount so I can track my game.

This was by far the hardest game, yet the kids did well.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote:I second IronNeck on the trans-uranics, but I don't want to diss Seaborgium here on the board. The whole endeavor of making these things in the laboratory is pointless, just like manned space missions, and have nothing to do with the advance of knowledge.
Diss away! I have no particular affinity toward unnilhexium, and I'd argue that I'm also pointless anyway.
goldenboy
Valued Contributor

Post by goldenboy »

Category 13 wrote: Maybe they feel that it would be popular with the college kids but I truly wish Jeopardy! would permanently shelve the rap categories. Alex sounds silly reading them and the lyrics do nothing to improve anyone's intelligence.
isn't it terrible when they ask about things I don't know
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,800
45 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: knocking, angora, tea, comforter

Word Origins is a tough FJ! category. It's almost always a question of whether the correct response occurs to you.

Terrible FJ! wager by Alex. That was a perfect place to bet small/nil. Luckily, it didn't cost him.
Kenny wrote:Said "tennessium" for Nashville element and thought sure I had nailed an LT. SMH
Me too. Nihonium stuck in my brain immediately, but I've had less luck with Tennessine.
IronNeck wrote:Also, boardies, would "work rate" have been fine in place of "productivity"? Didn't like that question.
I gave the same response and counted it correct. I don't see how they could neg it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Terrible FJ! wager by Alex. That was a perfect place to bet small/nil. Luckily, it didn't cost him.
I'm sorry to be so direct but you're completely wrong.

It was a very good FJ! wager by Alex.

If he had answered the clue correctly with the wager he made then he would have won. If he answers incorrectly he would have lost regardless of his wager.

If he had bet small/nil like you suggest he would have lost regardless of his response in this game - that would be a bad wager.

I understand the math behind it but I think a lot of the conventional wisdom on wagering is plain wrong. When more than one player must select their wager based on what they think their opponents will wager it becomes an entangled problem and there is no correct solution.

I would not wager that the Caltech and MIT students were bad at math. In this particular game Alex's wager was excellent.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Word Origins is a tough FJ! category. It's almost always a question of whether the correct response occurs to you.

Terrible FJ! wager by Alex. That was a perfect place to bet small/nil. Luckily, it didn't cost him.
He was in a position where he could overtake the leader's standing score, yet still win on a TS. I had him down for 5799, which in most cases would have clinched him a TS win, but Julia's unorthodox wager would have upset that. Another reason her (actual) wager was not as bad as his.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Category 13 wrote: He was in a position where he could overtake the leader's standing score, yet still win on a TS. I had him down for 5799, which in most cases would have clinched him a TS win, but Julia's unorthodox wager would have upset that. Another reason her (actual) wager was not as bad as his.
When you're the leader and the two other contestants are within 2/3rds (i.e. you aren't even crushing 3rd place), the standard and correct wager is to cover. Julia not doing so was a massive mistake.

It didn't matter in this game, but in general, it reduces her chances of victory from around 55% to somewhere in the 25-35% interval.

One can go back and forth on Alex's wager, but again, I really think he picked up on the strong possibility of Julia not covering (again, look at her 2 DD wagers), and Lilly probably going small from 2nd, which would make the all-in bet highly reasonable.
MattKnowles wrote: I would not wager that the Caltech and MIT students were bad at math. In this particular game Alex's wager was excellent.
As a Caltech math major (who also had dozens of friends at that other school), I must confess that yes, there were/are plenty of people bad at math at both. :)

Of course, that doesn't apply to Alex. Anyone who is majoring in physics at either MIT or Caltech, let alone won a silver medal at the IPO, can solve partial differential equations as easily as reading a comic book.