Friday, March 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
William Goldman asked his daughters what he should write about; they said these 2 things, which he combined

Game results:
Spoiler
Grant McSheffrey: 7200-2401=4799
Rebecca Wald: 20200+11000=31200 (New Champ)
Holly Stewart: 15400-9601=5799

Daily Doubles
Grant: 2000+2000
Holly: 7400+4000
Holly: 12200+2000

Coryats
Grant: 5600
Rebecca: 20200
Holly: 11400

Combined: 37,200
Correct FJ! clue response:
Spoiler
princess(es) & bride(s) (Grant – lord & flies) (Rebecca – The Princess Bride) (Holly – rabbits & mice)
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was probably best that the players did not finish "I" TUNES as they did not get the Bennett gimme.

That windy river for 2K was a big value gift.

I guess I was wrong about the lady to go with Chaplin, Fairbanks and Griffith being well known with picture shown or no picture.

A threepeat of misses for me on the FJ! clue as I can't buy a solve. My guess to avoid a blank page was horses & ponies. After time was up I thought of the other thing that girls like, so I was close to getting there.

I knew Goldman was not Golding, but I could not place the writer's name. Perhaps if I had seen the movie more than only the one time in initial release it would have helped. Yeah Yeah I know that is blasphemy to not have seen the film at least a half dozen times.

Grant, my apologies for mentioning the missing 3 from your stat line in yesterday's post as sure enough you went into the FJ! round in third place today.

Rebecca & Holly had to wait all taping day for their chance to play and they were more than ready to go.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never seen that movie and never had any real desire to do so. I had no idea who wrote the book so I was pretty much screwed on that one.

I got Bennett's song along with making the jazz connection to New Orleans and Tulane. I suspect Holly may be a UGA grad based on her reaction to not getting that clue.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i posted this early yesterday afternoon. i hope that my post wasn't the reason why the thread froze (although one person did see it).
so, i'll repeat for the benefit of the rest of you:

for the record, wednesday was the second anniversary of the death of long-time poster paul legere, a/k/a "paucle."
r.i.p., my friend.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I knew the book in question was The Princess Bride, but I couldn't decide how to phrase the answer. I eventually settled on princesses and weddings, which I'm going to give myself credit for.

A few years back, there was a FJ about Lord of the Flies that I said William Goldman for, so I sympathize with the champ for that mistake.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

I knew Goldman was a screenwriter, and luckily one of the few scripts I knew he wrote was The Princess Bride, which sounded like a right answer to me.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

My mind initially jumped to Lord of the Flies and then quickly back away from it, but then I wanted a title of a book with "______ and __________" like Porgy and Bess or something, but I couldn't come up with anything. My mind briefly flitted to the Princess Bride so apparently this rang a bell, but not enough to write it down.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 amThat windy river for 2K was a big value gift.
Mammogram was a bigger gift. I only got Snake on a pause and think.

I was in the audience for the next 3 shows, so I kinda had an inkling Rebecca would win. Pretty impressive debut given she hit none of the DDs (IIRC).

Ran Irish Lit (all those guys were in my recent TD). Skunked Warner. Also missed Pickford and "I left my heart in San Fran"

TS: Touchstone

NHO The Pillars of Creation or the Harvard of the South

Why did Alex hesitate on Rebecca's answer of Spanish Civil War?

FJ: not in a million years. Name was familiar (not b/c of Lord of the Flies). Wrote gods and monsters knowing it was wrong.

Congrats to Grant for a good run!
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I made the obvious mistake, and said "boys and islands." Stupid similar names :P.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Plactus wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:09 pm I knew the book in question was The Princess Bride, but I couldn't decide how to phrase the answer. I eventually settled on princesses and weddings, which I'm going to give myself credit for.

A few years back, there was a FJ about Lord of the Flies that I said William Goldman for, so I sympathize with the champ for that mistake.
Ditto. "Princesses" and "Brides" here as well and giving myself credit as technically that's what was asked for.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Very strong debut by Rebecca, the best game I have seen in weeks.

She was up against two good opponents, a 3-day champion and another contestant, Holly, good enough to be champion on many days. And she was very unlucky in getting none of the 3 DDs. Despite this, Rebecca ended with a sizable lead.

I also liked her story; working with monkeys is awesome.

LT: "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" (what? I got a music TS?!), Mary Pickford, Touchstone (when I read the jester's name in As You Like It, my first thought was "oh, like the movie studio!")

FJ: Instaget. I thought this was really easy; it's Goldman's most famous work, and consists of two words. Given the high caliber play by the contestants, I was surprised this wasn't a triple get.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

As I was just climbing out of the Golding trap, my mom said, "Didn't he write The Princess Bride?" This is one of those situations where, knowing what I know, I give myself the benefit of the doubt and call it a get.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I immediately said "princess and bride" for FJ, then spent ten seconds worrying if it should be something like "fairy tales and comedy" instead (the clue said two things, not two words). I eventually decided that was too dastardly and stuck with my instaget answer. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be "marathon and man" ;) which IMHO is probably Goldman's most famous work as an author, not as a screenwriter or a movie adaptation.

LT: "I Left My Heart In San Francisco", Mary Pickford, Pillars of Creation.

Incredible buzzer work by the new champ!
Last edited by cthulhu on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I instagot "princesses and brides" but had a moment of second-guessing myself only because of FJ's recent love for Lord of the Flies. :D
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,600
42 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: "I Left My Heart In San Francisco," Mark Warner, Mary Pickford

Goldman rang a bell, but I couldn't think of what he wrote. Very YEKIOYD FJ!

"Harvard of the South" is a terrible way to pin a clue. Every university in the South with any academic reputation whatsoever claims the sobriquet as its own.
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 pmDitto. "Princesses" and "Brides" here as well and giving myself credit as technically that's what was asked for.
That was certainly the intended answer. I thought it was rather generous of the judges to credit the new champ's response. Didn't make any difference to the outcome of the game, but I'm sure she's thankful for the additional $22,000.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess I vaguely knew "The Princess Bride" was a book, but I certainly had no idea who wrote it. William Goldman didn't ring a bell at all. I suspect everyone who knew who he was got this FJ right and pretty much everyone else scratched their head or confused him with Golding. :)
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 pmGoldman rang a bell, but I couldn't think of what he wrote. Very YEKIOYD FJ!
Same here...I had vaguely heard of Mr. Goldman, but until the correct response reveal, I couldn't tell you what he wrote for love, money, or to save my life. I'm one of those weirdos who believes The Princess Bride film to be a wee bit overrated, so it is certainly among my weaker pop culture trivia areas.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 pm"Harvard of the South" is a terrible way to pin a clue. Every university in the South with any academic reputation whatsoever claims the sobriquet as its own.
I said Duke for the Harvard of the South clue, having never heard of the said moniker applying to Tulane until tonight too. Having grown up in NC, Duke is more than most definitely NC's 'Harvard of the South'*, if not also the best known one in general (at least if the now former champ's response is any indication).

Ran Women In History, Also A Roman Deity, Irish Literature (including the Godot DD), and Universal Pictures (including the dark matter DD); and almost ran Foreign Idioms (got kicked by the donkey) and M_G_M (had 'magical realism' on the tip of my tongue, but couldn't get it out quick enough). Really, REALLY wish they had finished 'I' Tunes...I was liking my chances of running that one as well. Also nailed the third DD in the Columbia category.

LT: "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" and Mary Pickford.

* - Don't let my discussion of this fool you...I'm a UNC fan born and bred. GO HEELS!!!
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I wouldn't have minded another win for Grant but I found myself strongly rooting for Holly in this game.
She made a poor wager in FJ though. I understand the thinking behind 9601, but for the risk she put herself in, she could just as well have bet 15,398.
I had her two best options as either 4801 or 999.