Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FASHION HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These pants first became popular when Pratap Singh, a maharaja’s son, visited Queen Victoria with his polo team in 1897

Rebecca Wald: minus 3200
Adam Weissengruber: 17100-1505=15595
Kevin Shrum: 15600+1600=17200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
jodhpurs (Adam – crops) (Kevin Jhodpurs)

Daily Doubles
Adam: 2200-1400
Adam: 6800+1500
Rebecca: 5000-5000

Coryats
Rebecca: 1800
Adam: 18600
Kevin: 15600

Combined: 36,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kevin's post about his track to the show is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1767&p=238770#p238770

Another notch for slam's rule.

The writing was on the wall early for Rebecca with the opening skunk segment as the fellows were not having a threepeat on their watch.

I missed my chance to spell or misspell the correct response for the FJ! clue as I could not think of the name. There was no doubt what they were, what they looked like or what the clue wanted. The problem was blanking on the name in the 30-second limit. I wrote culottes and no trick I tried was able to jog my memory in time. Very frustrating.

Alex was of course amused that the FJ! category was FASHION HISTORY in a 2-guy FJ! round. Kevin getting it right made Adam's DD wagers not matter in the end.

I expect polar opposite reactions from iron to hammer for the photo clue of the game-playing guy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Hard to get it right if you've never heard of jhodpurs.

Good for Rebecca for making the right bet on the WHHDD. Too bad she picked someone who served after Harrison was dead.

Bad FJ bet by Adam. If you are betting small from the lead, why let second place beat you by betting zero? I wonder if she just got confused and added $5 instead of subtracting it.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew FJ cold, though a twee bit off on the spelling.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I don't get wagers like Adam's. If Kevin wagers 0 and they both get it wrong, Kevin still wins by $5. It reminds of the leaders going into FJ who for whatever reason, wager as to fall $1 or $2 behind the second-placer's doubled score if both get FJ correct. Here's an example of that. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3916

Are they trying to pull some major upset win for their opponent or something?

Incorrect on today's FJ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So, what's the difference between a patronage system and a spoils system?? Other than the fact that Wikipedia puts quotes around spoils.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how the hell does "patronage system" BMS to "spoils system"? Not like it mattered, but that was one of the most tenuous BMSes I've ever seen in my life.

====

3/5 in Animals. Just couldn't think of cockatoo, and capybara was way too far back in the memory banks. It's like they don't want me to run a category that's doubly in my wheelhouse (wordplay and animals).

"Oh, there's more to it than just 'shalom', but damn if I can remember what. That just came up a few days ago too, and I still can't remember it because I always thought it was just 'shalom'."

Depots are military?!? That cost me the run.

WLT Oahu at $400? There are lots of Hawaiian islands, and I see nothing pointing to one over the other.

NHO "penny stocks".

Lach Trash: Christmas.

Also NGO jodhpurs, so I was lost on this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm Knew FJ cold, though a twee bit off on the spelling.
Yeah, I knew there was an 'h' somewhere in there, but I probably would have just left it out completely to be safe.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was reading this page yesterday on the founder of Learned League and had to look up the word "jodhpurs", or else I too would have said that I had never heard of this word.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Jodhpurs used to be popular? Who knew.
Leander

Post by Leander »

FJ such an instaget I thought it might be wrong.

Thought the BMS from patronage to spoils unfair.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

Somewhat surprised that "Treehouse of Horrors" wasn't dinged. Also, the $800 clue in "Parts of the Whole" read "Canopy, Suspension, and Harness." Parachute was the accepted answer, but I'm wondering whether the judges would have also accepted zip lines.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm Somewhat surprised that "Treehouse of Horrors" wasn't dinged.
The clue referred to multiple episodes; it thus stands to reason that "Treehouse of Horror"s would be accepted.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats to Kevin - I forgot he posted here and was wondering why he looked familiar!
Strong game by the guys, good come back by the Adam. Rebecca's trend was not good - strong first game and then -ve today.
Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm Somewhat surprised that "Treehouse of Horrors" wasn't dinged. Also, the $800 clue in "Parts of the Whole" read "Canopy, Suspension, and Harness." Parachute was the accepted answer, but I'm wondering whether the judges would have also accepted zip lines.
I also said zip line.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm
"Oh, there's more to it than just 'shalom', but damn if I can remember what. That just came up a few days ago too, and I still can't remember it because I always thought it was just 'shalom'."

WLT Oahu at $400? There are lots of Hawaiian islands, and I see nothing pointing to one over the other.
It was as-salamu alaykum, or perhaps salam or salaam, plus I've seen different spellings of the second word also. Shalom in the Hebrew word for peace, salaam the Arabic, but you need the whole phrase to get "Peace be upon you" (Wikipedia translation) or whatever the actual clue said. It's irrelevant whether shalom is used alone or not, because I think they were looking for the Arabic, not the Hebrew.

Since Oahu is the most populous of the islands and the location of the capital city, wouldn't you expect the first long-distance phone line to the continent originate on that island rather than any of the others?
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations to Kevin!

Sad that my alma mater was a triple stumper, especially when spotted "Pretty Colors".
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm Somewhat surprised that "Treehouse of Horrors" wasn't dinged. Also, the $800 clue in "Parts of the Whole" read "Canopy, Suspension, and Harness." Parachute was the accepted answer, but I'm wondering whether the judges would have also accepted zip lines.
I'm wondering if the judges would have accepted a hang glider.
Teems with quiet fun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nlw44 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 pm Since Oahu is the most populous of the islands and the location of the capital city, wouldn't you expect the first long-distance phone line to the continent originate on that island rather than any of the others?
TIL the most populous island of Hawaii.