Wednesday, March 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

Interesting game. Kevin could have helped himself by betting everything on the first-round DD instead of only $2000, as Emlen was very much in crush territory after the final DD was played. Luckily for Kevin, Emlen had some very costly negs.

LT: cones, Virginia Woolf, Renoir, phone book, and Facetime

FJ: Took me 5-10 seconds, but I got Baskin Robbins.

Said "anti-abortion" instead of "anti-choice". Judges?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 am Said "anti-abortion" instead of "anti-choice". Judges?
I said "anti-death", but negged it. :lol:

I'd say you get a neg too, but mainly because it is the result of having to fill part of a quote, so obviously only one word counts.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,600
43 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: access, Paisley, Jacques Cartier, Branford Marsalis

Very interesting that all three contestants made the "31" connection, but only one of them could think of the company most associated with the number.

Friday Night Lights a correct response in Classic TV Characters? C'mon, man. It was on from 2006-2011.
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm Pretty good game, but I have to admit that it's a little sad that they could get Urkel but no one recognized a Renoir. When, as pointed out, his signature was even visible!
Not in the studio, though. The contestants are 20-30 feet from the (not particularly large) monitor.
Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:52 pm It was a great clue. I'd nominate it for the best FJ of the season, even though we're only half way through.
Hear, hear. I hated that The Loneliest Phone Booth DD, though. I figured out what they were going for, but from there it was a (unsuccessful) coin flip between Phone Booth and Payphone. Having to come up with the precise title of an obscure kids' book is dirty pool.
Sprinkles are for winners.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I'm impressed that so many people are picking up the Renoir TS. That painting isn't very famous so you pretty much have to get it on style alone.

I totally misheard "color receptors" as "cone receptors" in the Jimmy clue for some reason, so I was so confused I kept quiet even after the "rods" neg.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 pm Kevin seems to understand FJ wagering, I like that.
Alex: Madeline could be the spoiler. She has enough money.

Me: Not if Kevin knows how to wager.

I got FJ pretty quickly, even though I haven't been to one in years and was unaware they had such a special.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

rpg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 am I'm impressed that so many people are picking up the Renoir TS. That painting isn't very famous so you pretty much have to get it on style alone.
While you are correct that it is evocative of Renoir's style and not one of his most famous works, I had come across Marie-Therese Duran-Ruel Sewing before. Since I'm far from an art expert and have many gaps in my knowledge (I was unfamiliar with Gustav Klimt when I first started watching Jeopardy!), it's very possible to get it by the painting indeed.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

rpg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 am I'm impressed that so many people are picking up the Renoir TS. That painting isn't very famous so you pretty much have to get it on style alone.
Renoirs style is pretty distinct compared to Monet or even Manet. For Jeopardy! purposes, when it comes to Monet, I suspect they'd only ever ask about water lilies, hay stacks or cathedrals painted at various times of day. He's not really known for portraits. Manet, on the other hand, has a much more distinct style. Darker, colder palette, more realistic / less impressionistic. For me, Renoirs subjects all have a kind of soft dopey look - the woman sewing not so much. If you look at some of his paintings of kids, you'll see what I mean. Plus Renoirs color palette uses a lot more vibrant reds and yellows than the other two.

Examples of portraits by Monet, Manet and Renoir:
Spoiler
Image Image Image
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 am
Renoirs style is pretty distinct compared to Monet or even Manet. For Jeopardy! purposes, when it comes to Monet, I suspect they'd only ever ask about water lilies, hay stacks or cathedrals painted at various times of day. He's not really known for portraits. Manet, on the other hand, has a much more distinct style. Darker, colder palette, more realistic / less impressionistic. For me, Renoirs subjects all have a kind of soft dopey look - the woman sewing not so much. If you look at some of his paintings of kids, you'll see what I mean. Plus Renoirs color palette uses a lot more vibrant reds and yellows than the other two.
Exactly. And the good things about Impressionists are that they ask about them a lot, there aren't that many of them, their styles are pretty distinctive, and it shouldn't take very much time to become familiar with their styles. Knowing details about their lives - which they also ask about - that's a bit more work. But looking at some beautiful art seems like an easy way to brush up on a popular subject - pun intended. :geek:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 am Said "anti-abortion" instead of "anti-choice". Judges?
My recollection is they were looking for an exact quote, so I don't think so.

I got FJ but it took me at least half the time. I realized "31" was the clue right away, but at first I was trying to think of some company with 31 in the name. Baskin-Robbins' 31 flavors finally dawned on me.

I agree with those that are saying the painting "looked like a Renoir" whether or not you were familiar with the actual work. His style was pretty distinctive.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:52 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm Good FJ - never heard of that special but what else could it be? Still, good on Madeline and Emlen for putting something down; they were on the right track, at least.
It was a great clue. I'd nominate it for the best FJ of the season, even though we're only half way through.
I was somewhat surprised that all three honed in on the '31' factor. I never bothered to memorize which months had 30 days until I was about forty years old. Without knowing that, I doubt I would have had any idea what they were going for. Not in 20 seconds anyway.
I agree that this was a very good clue.

I got it, but not instantly. At first glance, the months listed (January, March, May, July,...) looked like they might have simply been every other month. So I was thinking "Two months apart... about sixty days apart... nothing's clicking." But then I noticed that both July and August were in the list, as well as October and December which are even months. Then, it hit me. Those are the months with 31 days. Luckily, the leap from 31 to Baskin-Robbins was then a relatively small leap for me.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Bah, Monet and Manet. I get those two mixed up. Their styles are distinctive enough, but their names aren't, and I always forget which is which :P.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Vowela wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm Bah, Monet and Manet. I get those two mixed up. Their styles are distinctive enough, but their names aren't, and I always forget which is which :P.
This is definitely not foolproof, but one possible mnemonic is:

picture of a mAn or womAn = Manet
picture of an Object (like trees or flowers or bodies of water) = Monet
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

French Rage wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 am I guess Manet for the painting but I can never tell the Impressionists apart.

I'm surprised after "rods" was wrong on that one clue no one guessed "cones".

Go Kevin!
Ouch -- hate to have to admit it publicly, but you can chalk this one up to a stupid brain hiccup. I was ready with "cones" and tried to ring in, but Madeline beat me to the buzzer. Then, when Alex ruled it a miss, I just stood there patiently waiting for the next question to be called.

I used to teach A&P to medical assisting students at a local junior college/vo tech. I'm sure many of my former students are chortling today.

Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's odd: I got spoiled, yet not, on FJ. I went to the Reddit thread for this game to find the video link, and I'm pretty careful when I go there. But this time, I just happened to see "What is Baskin-Robbins?" above the post with the Google Drive link. I kind of forgot about it, then right before the FJ clue reveal, I thought, "It better not be Baskin-Robbins." Then when the clue was revealed, I forgot about it again, figured out 31, got to Baskin-Robbins, and was like, "Oh, yeah, that post." So I still feel the satisfaction of solving FJ, even though I saw the solution not long before watching the show.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:46 pm It's odd: I got spoiled, yet not, on FJ. I went to the Reddit thread for this game to find the video link, and I'm pretty careful when I go there. But this time, I just happened to see "What is Baskin-Robbins?" above the post with the Google Drive link. I kind of forgot about it, then right before the FJ clue reveal, I thought, "It better not be Baskin-Robbins." Then when the clue was revealed, I forgot about it again, figured out 31, got to Baskin-Robbins, and was like, "Oh, yeah, that post." So I still feel the satisfaction of solving FJ, even though I saw the solution not long before watching the show.
I have the dude's user page in my history so I dont do something similar.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Me: "Oh, what's that joint where the elbow is?"

Couldn't get Charlie's Angels.

How was I supposed to know Splendide for $600 was chips and not fries?

I also saw no recognizable words in Splendide for $800. What was the tipoff to PB&J?

How was "Cones" a TS after "rods" was negged?

I would like to think I know my alt-country, but I've NHO My Morning Jacket.

"Access" was kind of hard to pin down IMO. Totally understand the TS there.

I hate those "find the word hidden in the clue" words. I just can't ever seem to focus in on any of them. Not even "paisley" because I didn't know that was a town.

The Technology DD seemed very wide open. I almost WAGged Automat.

So "Caller ID" BMSes to "trace"? What a truly ludicrous BMS, but aren't they all lately. I swear, the judges run on moon logic when it comes to the freaking BMSes. I bet they'd have BMSed "potato" on that clue.

So I'm supposed to recognize Ella Fitzgerald on sight with no other TOM whatsoever?

Last day of January, March, etc. etc.... that would be 31, so Baskin-Robbins it is. The last time I was near a B-R, I was a day early, sadly.