Wednesday, February 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6313, 2012-02-15

2012-A Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Patrick Quinn, a high school German teacher from Chesterfield, Missouri
Elissa Hoffman, a high school biology and anatomy & physiology teacher from Appleton, Wisconsin
John Botti, a high school history and English teacher from Bethesda, Maryland

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. We start today with congratulations, of course, to Monica Thieu, who yesterday became this year's College Champion. Today, and for the next two weeks, I'm back in school, surrounded by teachers. But am I going to be a student or will I be a principal lording it over them? John, Elissa, and Patrick, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here comes the first round, the Jeopardy! Round, and here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN EXPERIENCE CLINTON (4/5) (Alex: ...which premieres this upcoming Monday.)
THE EMMY WINNER'S SHOW (5/5)
PARTY LIKE IT'S 1899 (4/5)
SKYSCRAPER CITY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"PER"-FECT (5/5)
10 (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick: 12 R, 1 W
John: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Elissa: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Patrick: $3,000
John: $2,800
Elissa: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ah, the students are behind Patrick Quinn. You would expect somebody with a name like Patrick Quinn to be a German teacher. How long have you been doing that?

Patrick: Uh, this is my seventh year.

Alex: You obviously enjoy it. How did you get into teaching German?

Patrick: Uh, my grandfather spent a lot of time telling me to "hurry up, idiot" in German, and that kind of--it piqued my interest.

Alex: [Laughs] That's a good thing to know.

Alex: Elissa Hoffman is from Appleton, Wisconsin. Now what was this senior class prank that I've heard about?

Elissa: Well, it happened in 1992, before I was teaching there, but the seniors that year decided to paint the roof of our round school building with a giant smiley face, and it was visible from 40,000 feet, so it was there for the first Internet map pictures.

Alex: Got a lot of notoriety for your school.

Elissa: Exactly.

Alex: All right. And if you win this tournament, a lot more fame for your school.

Alex: John Botti from Bethesda, Maryland. Eleventh grade history and English teacher who once set fire to his necktie. That sounds as if you were involved in something in chemistry lab.

John: I was actually coaching the varsity basketball team, and I, uh, wore the, uh, colors of a rival school on my necktie, and to inspire the team, I pulled it off to set it afire.

Alex: Ah. But that was all that caught fire, right?

John: Uh, the other team did as well, but, uh...

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. John had $3,200, Elissa had $1,200, and Patrick was at $3,000. John wagered $600.

SKYSCRAPER CITY $600: One Liberty Place & Two Liberty Place

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PARTY LIKE IT'S 1899 $800: The first peace conference at this Dutch city was held in 1899

SKYSCRAPER CITY $200: Moana Pacific, East & West Towers
(John: What is Kuala Lumpur?)

SKYSCRAPER CITY $1000: The West Coast's 76-story Columbia Center
(Patrick: What is Portland?)

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE CLINTON $200: Young Bill won so many honors, the high school principal barred him from running for student body pres in this Arkansas town
(Elissa: What is Hope?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Patrick: $6,800
John: $5,800
Elissa: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COCA-COLA PRODUCTS AROUND THE WORLD (4/5)
RATHER COLORFUL LANGUAGE (5/5)
THE AMAZON (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ROCK DOCUMENTARIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TALES OF ADVENTURE (3/5)
THE BENJAMINS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
John: 8 R, 0 W
Elissa: 4 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Patrick snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. John had $6,200, Elissa had $1,800, and Patrick was at $11,600. Patrick wagered $6,000.

ROCK DOCUMENTARIES $1200: Title of Roger Waters' 1990 concert documentary filmed in Berlin
(Patrick: What is Behind the Wall?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Elissa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. John had $9,800, Elissa had $6,200, and Patrick was at $8,800. Elissa wagered $2,000.

THE AMAZON $1600: The largest mammal of the Amazon is this sirenian said to resemble a floating hippopotamus

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TALES OF ADVENTURE $800: In "A Walk Across America", Peter Jenkins wrote of doing just that, from New York to this "new" city

THE AMAZON $2000: Similar to hemp, an important Amazon crop is this plant illustrated here, whose fibers are spun into gunny sacks
(Patrick: What is burlap?)

COCA-COLA PRODUCTS AROUND THE WORLD $2000: In addition to the classic orange & grape, this soda brand also comes in flavors like aloe vera muscat, lychee & guarana

THE BENJAMINS $1600: In addition to twice serving as British prime minister, he also wrote many novels

TALES OF ADVENTURE $2000: It's the story of the Devil's Island imprisonment & escape of Henri Charriere
(Alex: And once again, I can say I bet you saw the movie--[*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $13,400
Patrick: $11,600
Elissa: $8,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Just to show that, uh, we show no favoritism, the prize money for the teachers is the same as for the college students. $100,000 for first place, $50,000 for second, $25,000 guaranteed for third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. STATES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
John: Wager $9,801 to cover Patrick.
Patrick: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Elissa, hoping that you give the correct response and John doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $4,801 to cover Elissa's doubled score, but no more than $8,000 if you want to top John on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,399 and win if both John and Elissa miss Final.
Elissa: If you think Patrick is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $1,400 to beat John and Patrick on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Patrick is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,401 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Patrick) and $8,200 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This third-smallest state in area is home to the USA's third-oldest college

FINAL SCORES
Elissa: $8,200 + $3,500 = $11,700 (What is Connecticut?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Patrick: $11,600 + $8,401 = $20,001 (What is Connecticut?) (Automatic semifinalist)
John: $13,400 - $3,000 = $10,400 (What is New Hampshire?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
(Alex: [revealing Elissa's response] You've got Rhode Island, Delaware, then [*], and you have Harvard, William & Mary, and Yale.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Patrick: $17,600, 24 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
John: $13,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Elissa: $7,800, 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Patrick: 25/59 = .424
John: 18/59 = .305
Elissa: 9/59 = .153
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"PER"-FECT $1000: Some pushed this soldier as a presidential possibility in 1920

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE CLINTON $400: After setbacks, Clinton's campaign roared to life in the 1992 New Hampshire primary, giving the candidate this nickname

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE CLINTON $600: Finish the Clinton quote from the 1992 Democratic National Convention

"I end tonight where it all began for me. I still believe in a place called--"

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE CLINTON $800: Here's Clinton in 1993, signing the bill named for this man to his left, instituting background checks for anyone buying a firearm

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE CLINTON $1000: Clinton added clauses to protect American workers, greasing congressional ratification of this international agreement

TALES OF ADVENTURE $1600: Joy Adamson & her husband adopted an orphaned lion cub in this true story published in 1960
(Alex: I'm sure you remember the--Patrick.)
(Patrick: What is [*]?)
(Alex: [*], yes. I was gonna say I'm sure you remember the film.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Philadelphia
The Hague
Honolulu
Seattle
Hot Springs
The Wall
a manatee
New Orleans
jute
Fanta
Benjamin Disraeli
Papillon
Connecticut
(John J.) Pershing
The Comeback Kid
Hope
(James) Brady
NAFTA
Born Free
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. States
This third-smallest state in area is home to the USA's third-oldest college.
Spoiler
What is Connecticut? John said New Hampshire.
John Botti: $13,400-$3,000=$10,400
Patrick Quinn: $11,600+$8,401=$20,001
Elissa Hoffman: $8,200+$3,500=$11,700
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Double fist pump for the teacher's tourney!

I didn't think this board played terribly hard, though it was not awfully easy, either. Let's see if that holds up. I'd be happy with two weeks of boards of this level difficulty.

(Okay, I am surprised the Final Jeopardy was not a triple get)

The players played tight. I think an adept player would roll them - lot of questions were gotten at the wire by the fellow on the right.

The players also left some money on the board - a British PM whose first name is "Benjamin" and wrote novels is usually Disraeli, or Charlemagne - I get those two mixed up a lot.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The game show geeks would hear the name Patrick Quinn, who won today's QF game, and think of the same-named contestant on Super Password from 1988, who was a wanted fugitive when he won almost $60K. Viewers game Mark Goodson Productions tips, and he was arrested after the show had the contestant go to Goodson's offices(I think) to pick up his check. He did get to keep the money and used it for legal fees.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

6/30 and 9/30 for me. Clinton, Emmy, 1899, Amazon and Adventure were all 0-fer.

However, I picked up Lach Trash on Honolulu (knew that one because I knew they have an Ala Moana mall too) and Fanta.

I love it when I make a mistake that cancels itself out. When I saw FJ!, I immediately thought Harvard. I got it in my head that Harvard is in Connecticut, so I went with that.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:6/30 and 9/30 for me. Clinton, Emmy, 1899, Amazon and Adventure were all 0-fer.

However, I picked up Lach Trash on Honolulu (knew that one because I knew they have an Ala Moana mall too) and Fanta.

I love it when I make a mistake that cancels itself out. When I saw FJ!, I immediately thought Harvard. I got it in my head that Harvard is in Connecticut, so I went with that.
My thought process was similar.

Moana is associated with strip malls in what city? Sacramento
What's the capital of Sacramento? Honolulu
What is Honolulu? Ding!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was that really necessary?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

quick comments

Patrick Quinn is also the name of the current governor of Illinois..
Why couldn't the writers just use "Rockumentaries" as the category name?
Never heard of the term "Golden Hour" being used in the context of lifesaving.
Ok, show of hands, people. How many have actually seen Papillon?
Got FJ. Thought of Delaware at first, but couldn't think of any unis there, quickly went to Connecticut.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yay for forum outage. What happened?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I thought the J! round was a touch on the easy side, as I got 21/30, running the Emmy and 1899 categories, and nearly running the "10" category. DJ was a lot tougher for me, as I managed to salvage 15/30 with a late 4/5 in Coca-Cola, but I was 0/6 on the $2,000 clues.

For FJ, I knew that Rhode Island was #1 and Delaware was #2, and my first instinct was Connecticut for #3, which paired with Yale would make a solid answer, but then New Jersey and Princeton popped into my mind, and I couldn't seem to picture NJ and CT on a map in order to compare their relative size. I wrote both answers down, and considered it for another 10-15 seconds before crossing out NJ, feeling about 60-70% confident that CT would be the correct answer. As it turned out, NJ is the fourth-smallest state, but fairly easily larger than CT, at 8,721 square miles to 5,543. John's answer of New Hamsphire is the fifth-smallest, at 9,349, but of the 8 Ivy League schools, Dartmouth is the second most recently founded.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Yay for forum outage. What happened?
Shhhh... I'm hoping nobody noticed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went 24-3-3 in the first round and 13-5-12 in DJ.

A bit of a gutsy DD bet for Patrick. He has over $11,000 early in the second round of a QF game, but he liked the category, took a chance but it backfired. Still, he was able to rebuild his bankroll to his pre-DD level and nailed a layup on FJ to get into the semifinals.

I got FJ from the third oldest college being Yale,
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Instaget on FJ. Guess where I live? :mrgreen:
DBear wrote: Ok, show of hands, people. How many have actually seen Papillon?
My husband, apparently. I've never heard of it... :oops: (though I know it means butterfly and is also a dog breed!)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I got stuck on New Jersey for FJ! -- obviously Yale didn't occur to me.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mam418 wrote:
DBear wrote: Ok, show of hands, people. How many have actually seen Papillon?
My husband, apparently. I've never heard of it... :oops: (though I know it means butterfly and is also a dog breed!)
I know it means butterfly partly because it's my aunt's maiden name.
trainman wrote:I got stuck on New Jersey for FJ! -- obviously Yale didn't occur to me.
Ditto.

And to think I used to know all 50 states in every order:
Size
Admittance to the Union
Alphabetical
Population (although this one changed so I never kept track)

In 1992 (OMG is it going to be 20 years already) I was at a friend's wedding in Virginia and this guy (he was probably drunk, but I don't remember) was in my face about how stupid Canadians are and how they know nothing about the USA. When I told him I could name all the states and their capitals, he responded with "Yeah, but you only have, like, three or something." Instead of letting it go, I reminded him that I had been referring to US states (Canada has provinces, and there are (and were then) ten of them). But in light of his assumption, I told him that I'd name 5 US states & capitals for every Canadian province & capital that he named. He didn't take me up on it, but the challenge vey quickly came for me to "put my money where my mouth was", and so, after my response was "in what order would you like them?" I had to deliver. I couldn't do them by population, but the other three orders were (then) simple.

Oh, to know that tonight...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote:quick commentsNever heard of the term "Golden Hour" being used in the context of lifesaving.
I have heard of that. However, a tire being called "white collar"? Uhhh ... no.
Ok, show of hands, people. How many have actually seen Papillon?
Nope.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As soon as the show started and I saw Patrick I pegged him as someone who could win the whole thing. His name sounds TOCish as well. I'm glad he locked a spot in the semis as he deserves to play another game.

Fanta was a chicken stumper for me also.

Here I go again on the FJ clues going by the correct response. State size was my path even though college history would have been the better route. DE/RI had to be 1 and 2. New England seemed to be the place to find an old college and a small state. Unfortunately I pegged NH as smaller than CT. Alex had the right idea to do Wm & Mary/Harvard and Yale. That would have been a certainty to go with with CT. I'm tired of messing up these clues on an easier level, so I'm running the next nine.

It took me a little fussing, but I got my new presidential avatar in place for my spot in the TD game. The hard part will be to remember how to get my bridge back later.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Fanta was a chicken stumper for me also.
I had no problems there! I know that my original grape and orange go-to soda, Nehi, is a Dr. Pepper product now. :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Fanta was a chicken stumper for me also.
I had no problems there! I know that my original grape and orange go-to soda, Nehi, is a Dr. Pepper product now. :)
Hmmm... And I thought I was so clever coming up with Crush.

Oops!

Brian