Wednesday, April 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6353, 2012-04-11

CONTESTANTS
Sean Hansen, an assistant professor of management information systems originally from Cleveland, Ohio
Lindsay Reese, a postdoctoral researcher originally from Escanaba, Michigan
Amy Ketterling, an administrative assistant from Minneapolis, Minnesota (whose 1-day cash winnings total $30,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Sheer dominance from start to finish for Amy Ketterling on yesterday's program as she won that $30,000. She could have won a lot more, but she bet modestly in Final. Lindsay and Sean, are you good enough to beat her today? We'll start finding out right now. The Jeopardy! Round... and here are your categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FIRST LADY FIRSTS (4/5)
ACTOR-DIRECTORS (3/5)
BASIC BLACK (5/5)
WHAT A TOOL (4/5)
AN "UN"CATEGORY (5/5)
THE PANAMA CANAL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amy: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lindsay: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sean: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sean: $1,600
Lindsay: $1,400
Amy: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sean Hansen is originally from Cleveland, Ohio, and he and his brother are married to sisters.

Sean: To sisters.

Alex: Who got married first?

Sean: Uh, my brother Dan and his wife Kris. I'd like to point out, though, that they're not our sisters, so it's perfectly legitimate.

Alex: Oh. [Chuckles] Didn't you try out for teen Jeopardy!, what, 23 years ago?

Sean: I did. Um, I-I did not manage to get on. I have since blamed the opera question that came up and harboring with bitterness since--

Alex: You didn't blame me?

Sean: No. I got to meet you, though...

Alex: Okay.

Sean: So that was a great pleasure.

Alex: All right. Well, welcome back.

Alex: Lindsay Reese, originally from Escanaba, Michigan, works at a brain bank?

Lindsay: Yes, that's right.

Alex: Can I come in and make a withdrawal for a brain that works better than mine?

Lindsay: Mm...

Alex: What do you have in this brain bank?

Lindsay: We are an Alzheimer's research center, so we have about 2,000 banked, uh, brains that can, uh, be available for basic researchers.

Alex: I'm gonna will you my brain.

[Lindsay chuckles.]

Alex: You'll--you'll find that interesting.

Lindsay: I'm gonna talk to you after the show about that.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Amy Ketterling is our champion. She, uh, wanted to appear on Jeopardy! and win enough money for "Operation Chainsaw".

[Amy sighs.]

Alex: Well, I'm sure she's done that--

[Amy chuckles.]

Alex: --with $30,000. What is "Operation Chainsaw"?

Amy: Yeah. [Sighs] Well, I have this rather large, half-dead tree that's hanging over my house, and I would like to put it out of its misery.

Alex: A big tree?

Amy: It's a big tree, yeah. [Chuckles]

Alex: Oh. It shouldn't cost more than $3,000 or $4,000...

Amy: I--um, they told me $5,000.

Alex: And you--

[Amy chuckles.]

Alex: $5,000?

Amy: Yeah. [Laughs]

Alex: You want me to go in there and negotiate?

Amy: Yes. Yeah, that would be good. [Laughing]

Alex: My brain--my brain--what's left of it--is good enough to do that for you.

Amy: Yeah. Right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Amy had $5,200, Lindsay had $4,000, and Sean was at $3,200. Amy wagered $5,000.

THE PANAMA CANAL $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Panama.) The labor of building the canal was made possible by the discovery that mosquitoes spread deadly diseases; screens, fumigations, & oiling standing water helped quickly eliminate this disease & drastically reduce malaria

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ACTOR-DIRECTORS $600: "Antwone Fisher"
(2002)

ACTOR-DIRECTORS $1000: "One-Eyed Jacks"
(1961)

WHAT A TOOL $1000: A toothed bar with which a part engages, a movie "Transformer", or to move up by degrees

FIRST LADY FIRSTS $600: It was the occupation of Abigail Fillmore, the first wife of a president to hold a paying job after marriage

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amy: $10,200
Lindsay: $4,600
Sean: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S UP, PIERRE? (3/5)
MEDICINE (5/5)
21st CENTURY TONY AWARDS (1/2, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ROADSIDE ATTRACTIONS (4/4)
TALE SHIPS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Not tall ships.)
IN CONJUNCTION (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that can be made of the letters you find in the word "conjunction".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Amy: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsay: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Amy had $15,800, Lindsay had $5,400, and Sean was at $4,800. Amy wagered $4,000.

TALE SHIPS $1600: The Fuwalda was the ship that stranded Lord John & Lady Alice, this character's parents
(Amy: Uh, who is Robinson Crusoe?)
(Alex: No, who is [*]--)
(Amy: Oh!, I was going...)
(Alex: --better known as [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sean who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Amy had $15,000, Lindsay had $10,200, and Sean was at $8,400. Sean wagered $7,000.

21st CENTURY TONY AWARDS $1600: 2010's winner for a musical revival was this French-named farce
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'S UP, PIERRE? $1200: It's said Kate Middleton shed pre-wedding pounds using this French doctor's diet; his book was then an instant bestseller

WHAT'S UP, PIERRE? $2000: Last name of Confederate Gen. Pierre Gustave Toutant, whose forces helped win the First Battle of Bull Run
(Sean: Who is Lafayette?)

21st CENTURY TONY AWARDS $2000: In 2011 the Tony for Best Revival of a Play went to this Larry Kramer drama about the early years of the AIDS epidemic
(Lindsay: What is Rent?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $15,400
Amy: $15,000
Lindsay: $10,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
(After the Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew delivers a Footnote from Panama.)
Theodore Roosevelt not only took a personal interest in funding the Panama Canal, but in the details of its construction. He became the first sitting president to make a foreign trip when he visited the canal site and personally operated a steam shovel.

(Before the Final Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew acknowledges the travel sponsor.)
If you're a Jeopardy! fan, chances are you're curious about the world. I am, too, which is why traveling aboard the National Geographic Sea Lion is so exciting. If you've dreamt of exploring incredible places up close and personal, you can do it. Give yourself an unforgettable travel experience with Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic. Go to expeditions.com for details.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART STYLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Sean: Wager $14,601 to cover Amy.
Amy: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Lindsay, hoping that you give the correct response and Sean doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,401 to cover Lindsay's doubled score, but no more than $14,200 if you want to top Sean on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $4,799 and win if both Sean and Lindsay miss Final.
Lindsay: If you think Amy is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $600 to beat Sean and Amy on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Amy is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $4,801 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Amy) and $10,200 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Printmaker Richard Hamilton is credited with coining the name of this style, calling it "designed for a mass audience"

FINAL SCORES
Lindsay: $10,200 + $5,201 = $15,401 (What is pop art?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Amy: $15,000 + $15,000 = $30,000 (What is Pop Art.) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sean: $15,400 + $14,601 = $30,001 (What is Pop Art?) (New champion: $30,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amy: $15,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsay: $10,200, 16 R, 3 W
Sean: $10,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Amy: 18/60 = .300
Lindsay: 17/58 = .293
Sean: 16/59 = .271
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT A TOOL $200: Used for forming grooves and moldings, this carpentry tool should give you a smooth ride

WHAT A TOOL $600: Also known as a locking wing divider, it's the tool seen here

FIRST LADY FIRSTS $400: She was the first First Lady to live in the White House
(Sean: Who is Dolley Madison?)

AN "UN"CATEGORY $400: The Eighth Amendment protects citizens against this kind of punishment
(Lindsay: What is undue?)
(Alex: Cruel and [*] punishment, correct.)

THE PANAMA CANAL $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Panama.) Passing through the Panama Canal, we cross this line that marks the separation of water flow into the Atlantic & Pacific oceans, the same line that's been traced up to the Rockies & down to Tierra del Fuego

THE PANAMA CANAL $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Panama.) The $400 million canal project was largely due to this president, who said he let Congress keep debating while he went ahead & got it built

THE PANAMA CANAL $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Panama.) Because of the way Central America curves, we've traveled east to west through the Panama Canal & ended up here in this body of water

THE PANAMA CANAL $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Panama.) The system for the lock gates can be found in the notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci; the leaves, each weighing up to 730 tons, are kept sealed not by a mechanical or electronic device, but by this force exerted on them

MEDICINE $400: A burr hole is made in the skull to remove one of these, also called a thrombus, in the brain
(Lindsay: What is an embolism?)

MEDICINE $800: (Dr. Oz presents the clue.) These sociopathic cells shown here invading into the liver are named after the Greek word for "crab"

ROADSIDE ATTRACTIONS $2000: Ice water is free & coffee is 5 cents at Wall Drug in the town of Wall in this state
(Alex: Yes, and now we have less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
yellow fever
Denzel Washington
Marlon Brando
a ratchet
a teacher
Lord Greystoke (Tarzan)
La Cage aux Folles
Pierre Dukan
General Beauregard
The Normal Heart
Pop Art
a plane
a compass
Abigail Adams
unusual
the Great Divide (or Continental Divide)
Theodore Roosevelt
the Caribbean
hydrostatic pressure (or water pressure)
a clot
cancer
South Dakota
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Re: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by tagNV »

Anyone think they'll have any 411-related categories (like DIRECTOR "E" and ASSISTANTS) today? :mrgreen:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Can anyone post the wording of the first Daily Double (in addition to Final)?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Judges: "Black Plague" for Black Death?

DJ! was dreadful for me. Stand and stare at every clue until Roadside Attractions, and AS USUAL, I CAN NEVER FREAKING REMEMBER WHAT IS IN WHICH DAKOTA ARRRGH WHY CAN I NEVER KEEP THE DAMN DAKOTAS STRAIGHT WHEN THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF THEM FGSFDS.

So yeah, I dropped by $800 in DJ!

For a mass audience -> Pop something -> Populism. Herp derp. I suck.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Today's show provided a good example of "go big or go home." Sean did not appear to like the category (Tony Awards) in which he hit the last DD, but he realized that his best chance of winning likely involved wagering enough to have the lead going into FJ. It paid off handsomely.

I managed to get FJ by mulling over the quote for several seconds until I made the "mass audience" --> "popular" --> "pop" connection.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Episode of the year? Huge DD bets, very dramatic, like maybe five TS.

Good thing for the returning champ that her leaving $200 off her DD at the end of the J round didn't bite her, as she wound up trailing by $400. Sean likely would have just bet more on that very gutsy DD in a category he was clearly dubious about anyway.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Art Styles
Printmaker Richard Hamilton is credited with coining the name of this style, calling it "Designed for a mass audience".
Spoiler
What is pop art?
Sean: $15,400+$14,601=$30,001...now a 1-day champion with $30,001
Amy: $15,000+$15,000=$30,000
Lindsay: $10,200+$5,201=$15,401
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I got "pop art" about 20 seconds in as printmaker plus an Anglo-Saxon name had me barking after Aubrey Beardsley and Art Nouveau.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Instaget 8-)
Nicely done Sean. 8-)
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Does anyone know what the record is for most money won by a one-day champion?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She will be haunted by Tarzan movies the rest of her life. I would type out the first DD, but we have have a character limit on posts.

Gutsy bet by him on that last DD. He clearly hated the category and I'd have been tempted to bet small and hope for a TS on FJ.

I have never heard of that artist on FJ and have never heard of pop art associated with anyone but Andy Warhol. It was a guess, but it seemed to fit and got lucky.

I'd have taken black plague. How about Atlantic Ocean for the body of water? Or would that get me a BMS?
alamble

Post by alamble »

Austin Powers wrote: Sean likely would have just bet more on that very gutsy DD in a category he was clearly dubious about anyway.
Sean certainly benefited from a DD clue that was overvalued for the $1600 slot. French farce + musical = La Cage.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Frank Hardy wrote:Does anyone know what the record is for most money won by a one-day champion?
Does anybody know what the record might be for most consecutive days with the exact same total? Too bad she can't go for three.

And two-time Prime Minister? I guess they don't count Parliaments or elections as 'times'. Just as long as the reign is non-contiguous, it becomes 'multiple times'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So my coryat was $3400, thanks to me losing $800 in DJ!

Medical seemed upside down. Totally lost on the first two, ended up clamming on $1200 and $1600 since they seemed too easy in comparison.

Also clammed on Tale Ships which was only one word away from being a Stupid Answers clue.

Conjunction flustered me because I wasn't sure where the second O was coming from to get Coconut and Toon. I count really well, don't I?

And lastly, WHY CAN I NEVER REMEMBER WHAT IS IN WHICH DAKOTA??!!?!?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:And lastly, WHY CAN I NEVER REMEMBER WHAT IS IN WHICH DAKOTA??!!?!?
Again?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:And lastly, WHY CAN I NEVER REMEMBER WHAT IS IN WHICH DAKOTA??!!?!?
Again?

Brian
I screw that up all the time. ALL. THE. TIME.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Frank Hardy wrote:Does anyone know what the record is for most money won by a one-day champion?
$50,000 (Myron Meyer)

ETA: The top ten are:

1. $50,000 - Myron Meyer
2. $41,201 - Debbie Barnes & Jake Maeroff
4. $40,600 - Tom McCudden
5. $39,399 - Jelisa Castrodale
6. $39,000 - Clinton Reese
7. $38,800 - Sara Doran
8. $38,401 - Judy Mermelstein
9. $37,200 - Beth Watkins
10. $37,000 - Rita Schwab-Parcel

Amy is the 53rd contestant to win at least $30,000 in his or her only victory. (ETA: 61st if you count Kids Week players)
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

I watched the episode, Austin Powers, and I'll ask it again, like you wanted. "Should I hold back from doing the teen tournament since I wouldn't be invited to the ToC if I win it?"

:)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jaxjags wrote:I watched the episode, Austin Powers, and I'll ask it again, like you wanted. "Should I hold back from doing the teen tournament since I wouldn't be invited to the ToC if I win it?"

:)
Jeopardy is a funny game. That champ was good right? Bet aggressively, cost her one time, but had some nice gets.

And she's got $30,000ish to show for it. It can end that easily.

Teen Tourney has better odds. Questions won't be about weird foods or adult stuff. You actually only need to WIN one episode to take the whole thing. That money is huge and it looks great on your application.

I say go for it now; I didn't years ago and I'm still waiting.