Happy Anniversary to Us!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

garywtson
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Happy Anniversary to Us!

Post by garywtson »

Just join this forum and its my first post reply.I really appreciate.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I think if this place never started, we'd have found our way back to the new Sony board. We'd have had to deal with the one and done posters when they came.
And the Canadians when they find themselves out in the cold? (Pun not (really) intended). I'd love to comment in the Sony board from time to time - usually to give the one and dones there a good smack sometimes, but a) since I'm prohibited to based on my location (which I see no real legal reason to do so, I haven't the faintest idea why they'd do that), I'm pretty much boycotting contributing there until that's fixed, and, more importantly, b) seaborgium is doing a fabulous job doing what I'd like to do there. Sometimes I think his mission is quixotic (as in they never return to read, and when they do, they never see the light (dealing with TPH is child's play compared to these guys!) ) but it is essential
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

dhkendall wrote:but a) since I'm prohibited to based on my location (which I see no real legal reason to do so, I haven't the faintest idea why they'd do that), I'm pretty much boycotting contributing there until that's fixed
Without reading the fine print (or being an actual lawyer), my first instinct is that it's an Intellectual Property issue. Most Terms of Service conditions for forums and message boards allow the base entity (in that case Sony) to assume anything posted as their own Intellectual Property, with no such rights granted to the poster. My guess is that cross-country IP grabbing gets murky from a legal perspective.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

garywtson wrote:Just join this forum and its my first post reply.I really appreciate.
Congratulations, you're in a 42-way tie for 97th place - or in the top 25 for the 2nd year's list - I'm not quite sure which.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:Well, JBoard has now made it through its first year. The first daily thread was for the June 30 show. When I started it, I really didn't know if it would gain any traction or not. But I'm happy to say (and see) that it has grown, caught on, and thrived over the course of the past year with minimal bumps along the way. A lot of the people from the old board have joined us, as well as a lot of the newer players and people just plain interested in Jeopardy! Thanks to all of you Boardies, and I hope everyone finds their stays here to be enjoyable and that they learn something in the process. Happy Anniversary, JBoard!

A full year?!

As one frog said to the other frog, "My, how time funs when you're having flies."

I also express my deep gratitude to you, Alietr, and all the others who created and sustain this place.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

the_phil wrote:
dhkendall wrote:but a) since I'm prohibited to based on my location (which I see no real legal reason to do so, I haven't the faintest idea why they'd do that), I'm pretty much boycotting contributing there until that's fixed
Without reading the fine print (or being an actual lawyer), my first instinct is that it's an Intellectual Property issue. Most Terms of Service conditions for forums and message boards allow the base entity (in that case Sony) to assume anything posted as their own Intellectual Property, with no such rights granted to the poster. My guess is that cross-country IP grabbing gets murky from a legal perspective.
But, the thing is, I've seen dozens of similar message boards over my past 18 years of being on the Internet, and this was the first time I've seen one exclude citizens from other countries (at least for no perceivable reason)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
But, the thing is, I've seen dozens of similar message boards over my past 18 years of being on the Internet, and this was the first time I've seen one exclude citizens from other countries (at least for no perceivable reason)
Why don't you just lie?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Thank you to everyone who got this board up and running! It's been a nice year :)
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I note with some schadenfreude that when one types the following into Google

jeopardy message board

the Sony board is the fourth link down (and this page is number one).
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

lisa0012 wrote:Thank you to everyone who got this board up and running! It's been a nice year :)
And I just want to add: That!

(And, no, I didn't post this just to get a head start on next year's post-count rankings. Never even crossed my mind. Not even once.)

(...Well, OK, maybe once.)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Why don't you just lie?
I shouldn't *have* to, though. If there was a good reason for them excluding non-Americans then I'd see a reason to lie (whether I would or not is another question).

Were you the person who Jeff Kirby talked to when he asked "There's a check box on the Jeopardy! forms asking if we have ever been a contestant before - I have been, but I want to go on again, what should I do?"

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Why don't you just lie?
I shouldn't *have* to, though. If there was a good reason for them excluding non-Americans then I'd see a reason to lie (whether I would or not is another question).

Were you the person who Jeff Kirby talked to when he asked "There's a check box on the Jeopardy! forms asking if we have ever been a contestant before - I have been, but I want to go on again, what should I do?"
And I told him to wear the same tie.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Why don't you just lie?

OK, browsing through the Terms of Use on the Sony site (yeah, people actually read those!), came across the following:
Given the nature of the Internet, even though the Site is ordinarily (but not always) targeted to United States of America ("USA") residents, it may be accessed in other parts of the world. If you are not a USA resident and yet use the Site, you acknowledge, understand and agree that you are doing so on your own initiative and at your own risk and that it is your responsibility (and not ours) to make sure that your use of the Site complies with all applicable local laws in the jurisdiction from where you access or use the Site. IF YOU ARE NOT A USA RESIDENT, BY SUBMITTING YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION ON THE SITE, YOU EXPRESSLY CONSENT TO THE TRANSFER OF SUCH DATA TO THE USA, AND TO THE PROCESSING OF SUCH DATA ON SPE'S (OR ITS DESIGNATED VENDORS’) USA SERVERS, WHERE YOUR DATA WILL BE GOVERNED BY USA LAWS THAT MAY PROVIDE A LOWER (OR DIFFERENT) LEVEL OF DATA PROTECTION THAN YOUR COUNTRY.
(caps theirs)

So, it seems that non-Americans can access and post, as long as they understand that personal information* will reside in their American servers.

Well, why don't they just give new registrants a choice between checking "I am an American" and "I am not an American, but agree to the Terms of Use"? And, if so, why am I then forced to make up an American port-of-call if I do agree to their Terms of Use (which, btw, I have no problem with)? (This is why I put a * next to "personal information" above, because, even if I do agree with it, my personal information in the sense of my address/city won't be on the site anyways)

This clear anti-Canadian discrimination is another reason I don't care to "lie" and make up an American city for me. That and it's really good practice for staying clam on the boards when there's something that I really want to comment on for when I finally get to tape and have to do so on this board.

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote:Well, JBoard has now made it through its first year. The first daily thread was for the June 30 show. When I started it, I really didn't know if it would gain any traction or not. But I'm happy to say (and see) that it has grown, caught on, and thrived over the course of the past year with minimal bumps along the way. A lot of the people from the old board have joined us, as well as a lot of the newer players and people just plain interested in Jeopardy! Thanks to all of you Boardies, and I hope everyone finds their stays here to be enjoyable and that they learn something in the process. Happy Anniversary, JBoard!
Seems like a good time to bring this up. We also just passed 120,000 posts.

Happy anniversary, J!Boardies!
OCSam
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Seems like a good time to bring this up. We also just passed 120,000 posts.

As they say, the third year was definitely the charm.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Happy Jeopardiversary! Thanks to everyone who keeps us afloat.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Happy anniversary, and many thanks to those who keep this board running! :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OrangeSAM wrote:Seems like a good time to bring this up. We also just passed 120,000 posts.

Good catch, Orange (Sam?)! That would explain why the renewal for the domain name came up recently. And a darn good thing I caught the final notice. (Not to worry; I've now set it for automatic renewals.)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Happy anniversary to us, and thanks to alietr and all his minions for getting us going and keeping us going.

Rex
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Happy Jeopiversary!!

Thanks so much to alietr and all the mods and anyone else who works to keep the site going.