Tuesday, July 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

First Names
A wife of King David & 2 of our early First Ladies shared this name derived from Hebrew for "my father's joy".
Spoiler
What is Abigail?
Blythe Rodgers: $14,800+$5,200=$20,000
Dan Burke: $13,400+$13,398=$26,798...now a 1-day champion with $26,798
Kimberley Stephenson: $8,200+$8,200=$16,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

12 right in round 1, 9 right in round 2.

I missed FJ, thinking Martha. I was think Abigail since I think there may have been another but I wasn't sure.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ because Martha just didn't seem to fit the rest of the answer. I didn't know who the other one was after the first Mrs. Adams and had to look it up, it was Mrs. fillmore. I wouldn't classify Fillmore as an "early" president, but I guess that's a loose definition.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I remembered the Hebrew word for "Father" is "Abba," and simply looked for a name that might fit. Abagail came to mind, and thinking of Mrs. Adams only confirmed it for me. Not exactly an instaget, but close.

It astounds me how all three players can get the correct answer yet all bet pooly, particularly Blythe. The best thing I can say about her bet is that it didn't put her behind a zero bet by the person in third place.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:roll:
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

J round was fine. Some weird moments: really, do we need to be told the DiCaprio film was "J - something" when we know our answer is one word and begins with an e? And very cruel to have the Eric the Red/Leif Ericson distinction, the show usually doesn't require knowledge so fine grained. And I was surprised to see "hawk" warranting a prompt on peregrine falcon.

I liked most of the categories. Rotten Tomatoes was a nice twist on the movie category. The money was a new way to ask about currency. Smart words was just there, I didn't think any of them were especially difficult or, more importantly, interesting. The eventual winner had a couple of strange negs - I suspect he buzzed in before he realized Yeager would'nt work.

I liked how the champ said shinkansen - appropriate and not too showy.

In DJ I thought the TSs on Chaucer and love conquers all were very mysterious. Ok and the middle guy saying priest for a guy who is in battle was weird too, he tried to kill himself on DDs. Didn't think the category was as hard as it played. Country music was a nice change of pace category. Arthur played a little easy; in their defense, Arthur Wellesley probably WAS the most obscure name there, since the other answers gave you the Arthur, including Arthur Sullivan for $1200, which is just a crazy clue at that level if you ask me.

Having not been to Columbia, I wasn't brave enough to pull the trigger on "core curriculum," which strikes me as a totally unextraodinary term. I liked the rest of that category, though, very nice clues. I also liked the Constitution signers category - Pinckney was straight know it or don't, but the two above could be intuited. I also liked the hue/hew homophone, and await people complaining about incite/insight.

FJ was very straight forward, I knew Abigail was a wife of David, two first ladies were named Abigail, and the abba + something getting to "father" in a Hebrew phrase all made sense. Not surprised it was a triple get since I could see someone settling on Abigail Adams quickly.

The champ was right, $20,000 is a lot of money, and is often enough to win many games of Jeopardy. Just not games when the guy next to you has $13,000 or so going into FJ. I can't complain, though, as this adds an element of tension to each show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing wrong with third place's bet. If second makes the MSB and is wrong, he is till ahead of her if she bets zero. So since she has to be right to win, she might as well go all in and maximize her payday. Second place made a bad bet but it worked out for him since the leader underbet.

Add Canterbury Tales to the short list study guide when you get the call.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

*3rd place wager comes up* Of course you bet it all, wasn't expecting anything different.
*2nd place* Let's see, the usual all-in suicide wager? Yup, with a side order of useless $2 left behind!
*champ* Oh, she got it right? Game ov...WTF?!

I don't know what else to say, that was an inexplicable wager. What a way to end an otherwise good game.

Let's see, country duets? Do I even need to say it?

ETA:
Bamaman wrote:Nothing wrong with third place's bet. If second makes the MSB and is wrong, he is till ahead of her if she bets zero. So since she has to be right to win, she might as well go all in and maximize her payday.
She has to be right to win (if second wagers properly, and second almost never does), but betting more than 5400 throws away any chance of winning on a TS without improving her chances of winning the game.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

How does J! end up with three contestants (in the same game) who can't seem to do basic math or suss out even the most basic wagering strategy? These are presumably intelligent people. Surely one of them was good at math in school.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Went at FJ actually thinking of "wives of David", as soon as I saw the phrase - before Alex was done reading - "Bathsheba" immediately popped into mind (arguably David's most famous wife). I thought that "Bathsheba" isn't that popular of a woman's name any more and kept thinking. "Micha[e]l" likewise isn't a popular woman's name any more either (save Ms. Learned), couldn't think of any more, and realized that since First Ladies aren't a particular strong suit (not quite a "weakness", but not a category I'm comfortable with), I was screwed. "I mean, what first names of early First Ladies are there, anyways? There's Abigail -

I GOT IT!" - I actually say these last three words out loud, rare for me, as I like playing silently, muttering correct answers under my breath during the game. (Archimedes would have been proud of me today). Quite proud of my get on this one.
cinemaniax7 wrote:How does J! end up with three contestants (in the same game) who can't seem to do basic math or suss out even the most basic wagering strategy? These are presumably intelligent people. Surely one of them was good at math in school.
Wagering smarts does not occupy the same skillset as trivia smarts. Add to that the added pressure of trying to come up with a wager with a contestant coordinator breathing down your neck wanting you to hurry up and write something, along with the pressure of just playing the game, while never forgetting that your wager depends on the only chance of your points being converted to actual cashmoney, and I'm surprised *any* contestant (save Roger "Iron Nerves" Craig) can make the right wager, even if they have a PhD in quantum mathematics! (I feel I've progressed well enough in my years as a boardie to at least identify a bad wager when it's made, if not be able to suggest the right one, but I know that when I get to Culver City, my newfound wagering knowledge thanks to the board will all go down the drain, just warning y'all ahead of time.)

(I'm half tempted to ask Mark to put one of the Duets on the weekly poll, just so that I can point to TPH when he says "how did you all know [some clue in some game]? I couldn't get it in a million years!" and say "That country music duet clue that you said was an instaget for you? Only 39% of us got it. Everyone has their niche of knowledge.")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board but it did not like me. There were some good gets and some odd triple stumpers in this game. I can understand the contestants missing Chaucer, though; the clue didn't make it clear that they were looking for the author of The Canterbury Tales, and not another real life author who was mentioned in the work.

I got FJ on kind of a lucky guess. I didn't have a whole lot of possibilities.

Blythe made a good little comeback. It's a shame that she didn't wager to cover second place.
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote: (I'm half tempted to ask Mark to put one of the Duets on the weekly poll, just so that I can point to TPH when he says "how did you all know [some clue in some game]? I couldn't get it in a million years!" and say "That country music duet clue that you said was an instaget for you? Only 39% of us got it. Everyone has their niche of knowledge.")
Those duets are, for the most part, songs that are well-known even out of the country music niche; I'd say the Shelton/Lambert collab might have been the most niche, but it's easy enough to get if you know that Ms. Lambert is his wife.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So I got 0/5 on Histor"e", and none of the $1,000s, but still managed 16/30 in J!

DJ! was even better, with 19 right (1/5 in Constitution after clamming on $400, then blanked on Chaucer). Obviously ran the Country Duets, plus 4/5 in "Core" and "Homophone" thanks to having NHO "Core curriculum" or "venous". (I thought "of the vein" was "venal" for some reason, and clammed.)

Overall, I ended up with a really sweet $28,800 Coryat (which, amazingly, is not a record even for "regular" games). This of course means I will get a negative Coryat sometime in the next week.

Not an instaget, but I caught myself off guard. Early first ladies. Hmm. Martha Washington, Abigail Adams. Abi. Abba. Father. There we go.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I backed into FJ. "Early first ladies"? I figured one of them had to be from the first four. Martha? Well, that was both Washington and Jefferson. Except Martha J. didn't live to see the White House. So next up is Abigail- can't think of another Abigail, but after her is TJ's widowerhood, then Dolley Madison. No way it's Dolley, so I grabbed Abigail by default.
4 out of 5 in Country Duets. Proud of me, TPH? (Years in retail music helped there. )

Like AP, I did not understand the prompt on "hawk." What kind of hawk? Oh... the peregrine falcon hawk. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Interesting wager from our champion-- like she gave it no real consideration, just carefree pick a number for a round total wager. One might say she wagered Blythely.

ETA: Just looked up Monroe's wife, glad I didn't know it then. "Elizabeth" is certainly biblical-sounding enough to fool me into considering it.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I also got FJ on what was basically a lucky guess. I first thought of Martha, which didn't seem right, then came up with Abigail, which seemed more probable for some reason, so that was my response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:4 out of 5 in Country Duets. Proud of me, TPH? (Years in retail music helped there. )
Which one did you miss? Miranda?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Yup. My retail career ended when she was 9. Stopped paying attention to most music then. I have to really like it to give it any of my time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Interesting wager from our champion-- like she gave it no real consideration, just carefree pick a number for a round total wager. One might say she wagered Blythely.
Not the word I'd use. Anyone who wagers solely to end up on a round number deserves to lose.
Austin Powers wrote:I also liked the Constitution signers category - Pinckney was straight know it or don't, but the two above could be intuited.
*nod* I was figuring Ft McHenry was named for one and Paterson, NJ for the other. If you've been to Charleston, then Pinckney is an instaget. If not, then you've probably got a 1 in 9 chance of getting it.