Monday, July 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Political Literature
The key message to this title figure in an Italian work is "It is far safer to be feared than loved."
Spoiler
Who is The Prince? Kate said Casanova.
Andy Baggarly: $18,800+$5,601=$24,401...now a 2-day champion with $40,001
Liz Frost: $12,200+$8,000=$20,200
Kate Mosesso: $9,200-$9,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I just can't seem to run a category in my wheelhouse anymore.I even recognized the name Walter Lantz, but still couldn't pull out any famous classic cartoon bird except for Tweety.

Deus X, Novels, Scottish Rulers, "Man" and Official Languages all went way over my head. (To be fair, I almost blurted out Quetzalcoatl, but wasn't sure.)

Clamming on Discus kept me out of a 5/5 on Sculpture, but I ran Crazy and Queen's English.

0/5 in Movie Fighters because I forgot Stallone's name. I'm having so many inopportune blackouts on stuff I should know. First Stephanie Plum, then Zooey Deschanel, now Woody Woodpecker and Stallone. What's wrong with me?

Political Lit, so I predict a NHOI. My prediction was, as usual, correct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What, did you guys run out of things to ask for FJ?

Let's take one of the most famous quotations ever and make a lame clue out of it ...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:What, did you guys run out of things to ask for FJ?

Let's take one of the most famous quotations ever and make a lame clue out of it ...
Not only, but it's the second quote by Machiavelli to be an FJ since March.

It was a decent enough episode. Competitive, lead changes, two bottom row clues about children's cartoons, no one knows Kosovo is next to Albania, the usual.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Loose screw? I've NEVER heard it like that. Screw loose, yes.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

THey mentioned Andy's appearance on Bill Rafferty's 1986-87 syndicated Card Sharks, mentioned he played the whole game in sudden death(which meant it was the Friday show of the kids' week and they wanted to get a player to the MOney Cards before the week was up I would assume) and Alex mentioned that he appeared on Card Sharks as well. Alex didn't mention that he appeared in a three week tourney with seven other game show hosts in 1980 on the NBC Jim Perry version, with of course all winnings going to charity. He was the winner of the tournament.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote:Loose screw? I've NEVER heard it like that. Screw loose, yes.
I was disappointed that we didn't get to hear "A few french fries short of a Happy Meal", which has always been one of my favorites, though I don't know how widely known it is.

So on a Daily Double can a player just give as many different responses as they can spit out before Alex can interject a "No"? Our astute closed captioner had Alex giving a "No" in between Andy's "Libra" and "Justice", but even on a second viewing I couldn't hear it.

Did anyone else spend an inordinate amount of time debating whether the proper FJ response should be "What is The Prince" or "Who is The Prince"? That was a bit of a tricky one.

You know any kind of fine arts category has to be ridiculously easy if I am able to run it, and tonight's Sculpture category was a good example. Movie Fighters was a less surprising 5/5, as it is much closer to my wheelhouse, and only the top row clue gave me any trouble, as it took a moment to get Christian Bale out of my head and make my way to Mark Wahlberg, since both were in The Fighter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:So on a Daily Double can a player just give as many different responses as they can spit out before Alex can interject a "No"? Our astute closed captioner had Alex giving a "No" in between Andy's "Libra" and "Justice", but even on a second viewing I couldn't hear it.
I definitely heard it ans was a little surprised that they allowed him to continue.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

There were a few questionable rulings. I don't see how they accept "Walhberg" without a BMS.

Surprised at the TS for 1072 + Norman King.

Other "Queen's English" clues, based on personal experience:

"When you see a girl holding a drink in each hand, she'll probably get mad if you tell her that she likes to "double fist." In England, they use this phrase to refer to holding two drinks."

"Don't tell a girl that, while backpacking, she can wear a pair of pants for weeks without washing them. Pants mean this, not trousers."

"Don't be surprised if a girl refers to her skanky shoes. It isn't a synonym for slutty, but for this."
Last edited by soxfan99 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

soxfan99 wrote:There were a few questionable rulings. I don't see how they accept "Walhberg" without a BMS.

"When you see a girl holding a drink in each hand, she'll probably get mad if you tell her that she likes to "double fist." In England, they use this phrase to refer to holding two drinnk."

"Don't tell a girl that, while backpacking, she can wear a pair of pants for weeks without washing them. Pants mean this, not trousers."

"Don't be surprised if a girl refers to her skanky shoes. It isn't a synonym for slutty, but for this."
And you didn't even mention the fanny pack.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Ran the numerical novels (for shame, S&S on A Tale of Two Cities, but clever jibe from Alex). Also ran Queen's English.
Boy, Andy barely sneaked in that "Justice" edit in time for the sculptures DD, hunh?

Finally got FJ with 3 notes to spare. Just totally brain-farted. Expect major get-rate on the poll.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

bpmod wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:There were a few questionable rulings. I don't see how they accept "Walhberg" without a BMS.

"When you see a girl holding a drink in each hand, she'll probably get mad if you tell her that she likes to "double fist." In England, they use this phrase to refer to holding two drinnk."

And you didn't even mention the fanny pack.

Brian
Ah yes, that too. Not that best way to carry things, really.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

soxfan99 wrote: Other "Queen's English" clues, based on personal experience:

"When you see a girl holding a drink in each hand, she'll probably get mad if you tell her that she likes to "double fist." In England, they use this phrase to refer to holding two drinks."
Why will she get mad? I'm confused. "Double fisting" does or doesn't mean "holding two drinks" in England? It also means that in the US. It also has another, obvious meaning.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Le Master wrote:
soxfan99 wrote: Other "Queen's English" clues, based on personal experience:

Why will she get mad? I'm confused. "Double fisting" does or doesn't mean "holding two drinks" in England? It also means that in the US. It also has another, obvious meaning.
Using it to mean "holding two drinks" is strictly an Americanism. In England, the expression for a drink in each hand is, "double parking."
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Yeah, I misread your entire post. Didn't realize that those were clues and we were supposed to come up with the correct terms.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Quite pleased with myself that this was my first time in the history of ever I didn't have a single wrong answer entire game (including FJ), although I had a few clams (including at least one of the DDs). :mrgreen:
jeff6286 wrote:I was disappointed that we didn't get to hear "A few french fries short of a Happy Meal", which has always been one of my favorites, though I don't know how widely known it is.
I think it's just another variant on "a few x short of a y", of which there are myriad permutations that are in somewhat common use. Bricks/(full) load is the original, though, which is why it was in the clue.

I definitely heard the "no" before the "Justice", but I got the impression that the judges ruled "Libra" was OK (and ALex accepted the judges silently after saying "no"), so the "no" didn't matter.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Good old me. Ask me to match a work to the author and I have a chance. Give me some characters and I'll do all right. Ask me to actually know a quote from the work? Uh oh. I knew I was wrong, but to have something on the paper I wrote "The Godfather." I should not have needed Alex to give Machiavelli to get the work, but tonight I did.

I was with Alex in not being able to tell if Andy had it or not. That was a solid repeat win other than squeaking by his DD response.

I have an aunt who lives in Australia who uses the term waist pouch for the very offensive term there of fanny pack. Here in the States it's not saying fanny pack that is rude. It's wearing them that make a person stand out.

There was no chance it would happen, but I would have enjoyed Roseanne giving a clue in Macadamia.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

I was pretty amazed by that buzz on Quetzalcoatl. Is there a chance she actually knew that answer? is Quetzalcoatl like the only Aztec god that shows up on Jeopardy?

Guessed Rocky Marciano for Jake La Motta. I supposed i just got confused after seeing the Rocky clue just before that. But, something tells me that I was closer to the money than one would think. Was Rocky a character in the movie, or something? Here's an indication of how bad I am; I saw all five movies and still only got 2/5 in the movie fighters category. I confused the Fighter for the Wrestler, lol.

I also heard about a character named Pyncheon in House of the Seven Gables many times, but I never remember it when I need it. Is there some kind of psychological defect that makes someone give the same wrong answer every time?