Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by gnash »

I've been practicing jinxes since my younger son entered the Harry Potter years.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For those who remember the aroma ...
Mimeographed.png
Mimeographed.png (87.72 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

So wait, not only do you hate scammers, but you hate people who have similar credit card numbers to old ones of yours to make them go through the trouble of challenging payments they didn't make (and letting unscrupulous companies make future ones because they now have a "good" number?)

Do you like anyone?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
So wait, not only do you hate scammers, but you hate people who have similar credit card numbers to old ones of yours to make them go through the trouble of challenging payments they didn't make (and letting unscrupulous companies make future ones because they now have a "good" number?)

Do you like anyone?
I doubt it will get that far. They did not verify the 3 digit code, or the expiration date, or whose name it is under, or the address. These people are morons. One guy said his name was Yachenko. I asked if he knew what kind of a name that was. He said, "Yeah, it's Ukrainian. From Ukrainia."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Do you like anyone?
I doubt it will get that far. They did not verify the 3 digit code, or the expiration date, or whose name it is under, or the address. These people are morons. One guy said his name was Yachenko. I asked if he knew what kind of a name that was. He said, "Yeah, it's Ukrainian. From Ukrainia."
That information would have been far more interesting to put in there rather than what was there.

(And when you heard that, you should have replied in Ukrainian. (I don't know if you know that language but I'd make it a True Daily Double they can't tell the difference between it and Russian))

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I am a fan of well executed childish silliness. Here's an edit of a Lenny Kravitz song that quickly turns bizarre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-iFr9q1I8
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

seaborgium wrote:I am a fan of well executed childish silliness. Here's an edit of a Lenny Kravitz song that quickly turns bizarre. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-iFr9q1I8
This is amazing.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Speaking of Sploofus, it really means nothing, seeing as it's the fourth of the month at 6:45 in the morning, but I am first on the Trivia Question of the Day leaderboard right now. Just saying. :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote:Speaking of Sploofus, it really means nothing, seeing as it's the fourth of the month at 6:45 in the morning, but I am first on the Trivia Question of the Day leaderboard right now. Just saying. :D
When I did mine at about 12:30 Central this morning, I was #2 (only 3 points off the lead). 10 hours later I'm #10. Yours too shall pass.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhkendall wrote:
nightreign wrote:Speaking of Sploofus, it really means nothing, seeing as it's the fourth of the month at 6:45 in the morning, but I am first on the Trivia Question of the Day leaderboard right now. Just saying. :D
When I did mine at about 12:30 Central this morning, I was #2 (only 3 points off the lead). 10 hours later I'm #10. Yours too shall pass.
Five hours later, and I'm still #1, but I bet I won't be by the end of the day. Really, I just posted that because the beginning of the month is my only chance at getting on that leaderboard, so I'm taking advantage of it all I can.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
I've had 2 or 3 moronic questions that have left me 1-of-4 for the month.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I've had 2 or 3 moronic questions that have left me 1-of-4 for the month.
Hey, let me make my own post. Yeah, I'm in the same boat at 25% for the month. Page 41, place #2018. My goal by Halloween is to make it to page 2, top 100. Good luck nightreign. Maintain that place on the first page.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Why does dropping a rental car off at a different location incur such a horrific surcharge?!

Two days in Houston, pick up from one location, drop off 10 miles away, twice as much if I dropped it off in the same place.
It's going to be cheaper to go to the airport midway through my trip (only need the rental for two days, staying for five) and then drop it off when I leave.

At least airport rental places are open 24 hrs...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had to pay hefty fees twenty years ago but it seems like they've done away with them. I've even rented overseas and it paid more than a nominal fee.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:At least some airport rental places are open 24 hrs...
There. Fixed that for you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:At least the airport rental places I have to choose from with are open 24 hrs (though that might change in 11 months)...
There. Fixed that for you.

Brian
Amended, then.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Volante wrote:Why does dropping a rental car off at a different location incur such a horrific surcharge?!

Two days in Houston, pick up from one location, drop off 10 miles away, twice as much if I dropped it off in the same place.
It's going to be cheaper to go to the airport midway through my trip (only need the rental for two days, staying for five) and then drop it off when I leave.

Mostly due to the fact you're affecting car stock levels at the original location (that's effectively one fewer car they have to rent).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote:
Volante wrote:Why does dropping a rental car off at a different location incur such a horrific surcharge?!

Mostly due to the fact you're affecting car stock levels at the original location (that's effectively one fewer car they have to rent).
It's not the idea of the surcharge; I understand inventory. It's that you're paying as much to drop it off somewhere 4 hours away as you would 10 minutes away. Let's put in a sliding scale here. If it was only $20, 30...yeah, sure, I can totally get that. But $200 and up? Nuh uh.

(I'm getting fuzzier on exact numbers now since I think I've finalized my plan so I'm not digging into sites for quotes as much.)
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Because it can. People will pay it.