Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by 9021amyers »

teapot37 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
9021amyers wrote:The end of the steroid era in baseball ruined my favorite piece of sports trivia: until 2008, the last player to lead his league in home runs while hitting less than 40 was Fred McGriff in both the American and National leagues. Now nobody gets to 40 homers in a year, and I don't know who the best players in baseball are.

I miss knowing that more than I'm going to miss knowing Affirmed.
At least the city of Cleveland not winning a championship since 1964 is not going to change. My wish is for the Bills to be alone as the 0-4 Super Bowl team.
What about the Vikings? They might not have them in a row like my Bills do, but they are 0-4 as well.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Here's one of my all-time favorite trivia questions/factoids: Current Seattle Mariners outfielder Seth Smith came up in the Colorado Rockies organization, where he and all-time Rockies great Todd Helton were teammates from 2007-2011. This is entirely coincidental, however, to what athletic distinction, unique among Major League Baseball players, that the two of them share?
Sprinkles are for winners.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Here's one of my all-time favorite trivia questions/factoids: Current Seattle Mariners outfielder Seth Smith came up in the Colorado Rockies organization, where he and all-time Rockies great Todd Helton were teammates from 2007-2011. This is entirely coincidental, however, to what athletic distinction, unique among Major League Baseball players, that the two of them share?
Spoiler
They both were college football quarterbacks who backed up a Manning brother.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

georgespelvin wrote:Laugh of the day. http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/6/8 ... us-pitcher
Maybe it's a secret word revealed by a golden salamander.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Interesting infographic on the world's languages. The full, zoomable graphic can be found here: Most Spoken Languages

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thanks, Andy. There's a lot of interesting information there for a language junkie like me. For instance, Japanese is the biggest language "monoculture" (essentially all the speakers live in Japan). Next on that list is Tegelu, an Indian language I'd never run across before. More surprising is that, after Papua New Guinea, the countries where the most languages are spoken are Indonesia at #2 (707) and Nigeria (!!) at #3. In retrospect, Nigeria makes sense given the ethnic diversity present in many sub-Saharan African countries.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

But why do they have the United States under English?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:But why do they have the United States under English?

Brian
Bigger questions why the UK is there. Have you heard some of the words they're passing off as language?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If we can stand one more infographic for the day, animals that will kill you:
Sharks.png
Sharks.png (926 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:If we can stand one more infographic for the day, animals that will kill you:
Sharks.png
BEEWASPHORNETNADO!
Sprinkles are for winners.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

alietr wrote:If we can stand one more infographic for the day, animals that will kill you:
I can't wait to teach my daughter that cows kill more people per year than sharks, alligators, bears, snakes, and spiders, combined. And vegetarians are so set on saving them...

Bears really need to step up their game. You have to go to the shark's home court for them because they can't play road games and alligators are fairly confined. Also, does that mean that Grizzly Man is about the one guy, on average, who was killed by a bear in that given year? Because then it makes him seem even that much crazier.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jfrumkin wrote:
I can't wait to teach my daughter that cows kill more people per year than sharks, alligators, bears, snakes, and spiders, combined. And vegetarians are so set on saving them...
That means now only have cows killed 20 people a year but they've brainwashed others into protecting them.

All the more reason to have a big juicy burger right now. Show those cows who's boss!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof

Post by Woof »

jfrumkin wrote:

Bears really need to step up their game. You have to go to the shark's home court for them because they can't play road games and alligators are fairly confined. Also, does that mean that Grizzly Man is about the one guy, on average, who was killed by a bear in that given year? Because then it makes him seem even that much crazier.
Crazy is the byword. He died because he did things that no one with a modicum of common sense and any knowledge of grizzlies would do. I've tried to instill in my son the idea that the deadliest animal on Earth is a human: in any encounter between a human and a wild animal, the animal comes out the loser in the vast majority of cases. If a shark had any sense, it'd turn and run the moment it saw a human because they're such bad news.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

What? Cows kill 20 people per year, but bulls don't kill any? So much for the fairer sex.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I live near where the shark attacks happened this weekend and it was funny to see David Muir yelling about them yesterday. It's terrible what happened but I hope we're not in for another summer of that nonsense.
clprez

Post by clprez »

bpmod wrote:What? Cows kill 20 people per year, but bulls don't kill any? So much for the fairer sex.

Brian
Must be the outchange
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote:Tegelu, an Indian language I'd never run across before.
That's Telegu (which I'd only encountered previously as Telugu).
Woof

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote:
Woof wrote:Tegelu, an Indian language I'd never run across before.
That's Telegu (which I'd only encountered previously as Telugu).
Right you are, Stefan.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

:(