Thursday, July 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Presidential Libraries

Post by Bamaman »

Opened in 1971, his presidential library is the farthest south.
Spoiler
Who is Lyndon Baines Johnson?
Janet:$9,400+$9,399=$18,799
Paul: $14,800+$14,000=$28,800
Kathleen: $18,800+$10,801=$29,601
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Thursday, July 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Monogram Madness = Missed a sweep because I missed the $1000 clue (I only remembered Mary Higgins Clark at the last second because my mom has a ton of her books.). Got 3 of 5 in SO WHAT, swept John Marshall (learning about him in college really helped me, plus some were already easy.) Lizards, I missed the probably now infamous HORNYTOAD moment there. NFL Coaches got 4 of 5 and stadium 3 of 5.

Swept Annual Events, Non-Breaking News & Economic Terms. 2/5 NYT Theater (which I cannot stand) & Hybrids (which in retrospect was not an easy category). 3/5 Book Titles.

23 / 30 J Round
22 / 30 DJ Round

Final Jeopardy - had it down to Kennedy or Johnson, went with Johnson because it made sense. Due to the year, it could not have been anyone later.

$10 the Hornytoad moment, which was really hilarious in itself will be on YouTube. That would be a fun name for a J-archive glossy "Hornytoad Moment" or "Godiva Moment" or something like that. (Pardon me if its already in there.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And that's why I've deleted all of your posts, Zach.

It seems only alietr has banning powers, so that's the best that I can do. So, you keep on posting, I'll keep on deleting.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

really couldn't see FJ being anything other than LBJ. Although I guess it helped I knew where Ike's was, as I could see where someone might consider him.

I'm pretty sure I'm 2/4 this week. Gotta nail tomorrow to beat .500

Janet was absolutely lovely, and deja-viewly familiar. Another game show, anyone? Or does she just look like an actress in a subtle enough way to be subconsciously obvious?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote: So, you keep on posting, I'll keep on deleting.
looks like he's offering you the chance to hang with the grown-ups Zach! Give up smoking, and you can play.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Paucle wrote:really couldn't see FJ being anything other than LBJ. Although I guess it helped I knew where Ike's was, as I could see where someone might consider him.

I'm pretty sure I'm 2/4 this week. Gotta nail tomorrow to beat .500

Janet was absolutely lovely, and deja-viewly familiar. Another game show, anyone? Or does she just look like an actress in a subtle enough way to be subconsciously obvious?
I'd say she bears a passing resemblance to Cynthia Nixon from Sex and the City.

Was pleased to see the "Hybrid" category not become a bunch of references to annoying portmanteaux.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not an FJ you want to see if you aren't in the lead. Never considered anyone but LBJ, since he had just left office two years earlier. In Janet's spot I'd have bet it all on the off chance the leader bet zero.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:
econgator wrote: So, you keep on posting, I'll keep on deleting.
looks like he's offering you the chance to hang with the grown-ups Zach! Give up smoking, and you can play.
No, that was the chance. He's already blown it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

How can a person who chose NFL coaches to start the game not know Bill Belichick?

As a big sports fan I was excited to see both NFL coaches and Stadiums as categories in the first round. I should have known that they'd only ask about stadiums where they play that silly Un-American brand of football that is played with the feet. Not exactly in my wheel house, but I still probably could have gotten at least 4/5 just by the names of the stadiums.

I liked the idea behind the Hybrids category, but some of those were just a little too hard. I even paused my DVR to try to figure some of them out, but still didn't have much luck, other than LuftWaffle

By the way, if all of the correct responses were essentially made-up words, who's to say that Agnamemneon isn't just as acceptable as Agamemneon? Okay, I know who gets to say; that would be Alex and/or the show's judges, but bear with me for a minute. Agamemnon+Neon=Agnamemneon; Take the first N from Neon, put it after the Ag, then put the EON from Neon in place of the ON. I started this part semi-jokingly, but now that I've taken a deeper look at it, I think Paul may have a case here. Guess what? That was a $2,000 clue that he was discredited on, and if you add $4,000 to his final score, and the rest of the game played out the same, both Paul and Kathleen would have finished with $18,800.

So Paul, if you're reading this, and it hasn't occurred to you in the past several months, I would file an appeal at once. If you need a witness, just let me know. I'll make up giant index cards demonstrating the adding and subtracting of letters described above, and I will testify in front of the Jeopardy Jury on your behalf. (For a small fee, of course)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:By the way, if all of the correct responses were essentially made-up words, who's to say that Agnamemneon isn't just as acceptable as Agamemneon?
Eh, if it had been the first clue uncovered in that category, and thus the category's pattern hadn't been established, maybe. But every response came from adding a single letter to the longer word to create the shorter word inside it, and Paul did otherwise, five deep in the category. (Also, how do you not rebound on that? Woulda been $2,000 in my pocket.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:I should have known that they'd only ask about stadiums where they play that silly Un-American brand of football that is played with the feet.
When he said something like "we'll give you the stadium, you name the country" I knew right away that it would be the "other" kind of football stadia that would be used. After all, there are very few countries that play American style football, Canada and Australia are the only ones that come to mind (and both with regional differences in the rules), it would make a pretty boring category that way. Using <soccer stadiums makes the possibility range (since you're dealing with countries) that much broader.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I too had a problem with understanding exactly what counted as a valid hybrid. I don't recall this category ever appearing on the show before and the rules were never explained. My guess was Argonmemnon.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LBJ for me on the FJ clue and I spent all of thinking time finding no reason to change since I knew the Ike library was in Kansas and LBJ's was Houston. That made it a done deal with 1971 given. Take the year away and I'd be throwing darts at a Texas map with no CA or GA detours needed.

I hate it when I don't know the BMS material (Turn Off The Dark) and don't know if it's required. That made me unable to ring in on the Spider-Man theater clue to complete the run.

ETA: Oops, the LBJ is in Austin. Well, shows how much I know.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

I loved the NFL coaches category (precalled Lombardi, I'm a big Packers fan.) That hybrid category was tough - I got Luftwaffle, and not much else. Monograms seemed too easy, ran that category. And Final Jeopardy. 1971, going backwards... LBJ=Texas, JFK=Mass., Ike = MO, and even going as far back as Ike seemed a stretch. Heck, I would think that 8 years would be too long a time to wait to open a presidential library. How could it be anyone other than LBJ?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

President Peron Stadium was way overvalued being a bottom row clue.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

mam418 wrote:And Final Jeopardy. 1971, going backwards... LBJ=Texas, JFK=Mass., Ike = MO, and even going as far back as Ike seemed a stretch. Heck, I would think that 8 years would be too long a time to wait to open a presidential library. How could it be anyone other than LBJ?
For the record, the Eisenhower library is in Abilene KS.

Also, the JFK library didn't open until 1977 and the Nixon library didn't join the Presidential library system until 2007. Compared to those, eight years would seem short.
OCSam
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:By the way, if all of the correct responses were essentially made-up words, who's to say that Agnamemneon isn't just as acceptable as Agamemneon?
Eh, if it had been the first clue uncovered in that category, and thus the category's pattern hadn't been established, maybe. But every response came from adding a single letter to the longer word to create the shorter word inside it, and Paul did otherwise, five deep in the category. (Also, how do you not rebound on that? Woulda been $2,000 in my pocket.)
Ah, that is a good point, and one that had gone slightly over my head. I didn't realized that each correct response had exactly one extra letter added. That does clarify the category a little more than I had originally thought. I still think the category was a lot harder than they intended it to be. The $400 and $800 clues should have been a tad easier, which would have helped everyone recognize the format sooner, and would have made the higher value clues a little easier to negotiate.

As to why the other players didn't rebound, I didn't catch the fact that Paul added the extra letter in his response. After Alex gave the correct question, I could have sworn that Paul had said exactly the same thing. After a quick rewind, I realized Paul's (and my) mistake, but I would not be surprised to learn that either or both of his opponents might have also been unclear at first on why he was ruled incorrect.
bibliophage wrote:I too had a problem with understanding exactly what counted as a valid hybrid. I don't recall this category ever appearing on the show before and the rules were never explained. My guess was Argonmemnon.
Ha, Argonmemnon! I love it! I don't know if Alex would have given you credit, but I sure would.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Judges: Quaker quark on the first clue of the category? Let's assume that I come up with quarker on a be more specific.

I wonder if Champ just had a brain fart on Belichick. That plus the misspeak on Agamemnon could have made the difference.

Janet's DD wager, fairly predictable, but I'm always surprised that it happens. In that position, if you miss and are left with the $2200, are you really going to come back and win? Very unlikely, so you might as well bet it all, right? I'm guessing something about the embarrassment of having $0 in front of you (or is it the prospect of not making FJ?) prevents players from making that all-in bet.

FJ was tough to get wrong -- I can't imagine how much you'd have to spaz to pull that off. Tough break for Paul who looked strong in knocking off the last champ. I would think it would suck to lose like that with a big lead after the first round, ice cold on the buzzer at the finish while another player catches fire, and a very easy FJ question to finish you off.