TD 179: Miscellaneous II: Now without Mersenne Primes!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mujason
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 179: Miscellaneous II: Now without Mersenne Primes!

Post by mujason »

Here's a quiz with a healthy variety of questions and answers. Enjoy!

Here are the rules:

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. central time Monday, February 17.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Each bonus question is worth a one-point reduction in score (no penalty for an incorrect guess).
d. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may drop one question by listing DROP instead of an answer. Not surprisingly, the DROP option gives you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also pick the SHEEP option for one question. For that question, you will automatically get the sheep score (but the SHEEP option won't count towards how many people said the real sheep answer). Also, if SHEEP and/or DROP is the most popular answer, the SHEEP score will still be the real sheep (i.e. the most popular real answer, not SHEEP or DROP).

6. You may also attach HEDGE to one answer; HEDGE does nothing with a right answer, but when attached to a wrong answer, it reduces the penalty to sheep plus one (instead of double sheep).

7. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

8. The first tiebreaker will be the score before the bonus questions, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

9. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Good Luck!
Last edited by mujason on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jason
mujason

Re: TD 179: Miscellaneous II: Now without Mersenne Primes!

Post by mujason »

Questions:

1. Name a host of "Saturday Night Live" whose primary claim to fame is sports. (Pro wrestling doesn't count, sorry Hulk Hogan and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.) (Also, Mark Harmon, Ed O'Neill, and Carl Weathers did play football, and Tony Danza was a boxer, but they are much better known as actors, so they don't count either.) (Feel free to ask if any borderline answer you have is acceptable; if not, I'll ask for a replacement without penalty) (29 answers)

2. Name one of the 12 sons of the Biblical patriarch Jacob. (12 possible answers, obviously)

3. Name a person who has won multiple Nobel Prizes OR a Nobel Prize winner whose parent, child, or spouse also won a Nobel Prize. (no in-laws) (23 answers)

4. Name a husband or ex-husband of a Best Actress Oscar winner since Susan Sarandon won in March 1996 (Sarandon not included). (The marriage can be before, during, or after the Oscar win, but has to be official.) (20 answers)

5. Name a winner of the AL or NL batting title (that's batting average) since 2001. (The 2001 season is included.) (20 answers)

6. Name a PROFESSIONAL winner of the U.S. version of "Dancing with the Stars." (To help jog your memories, here's a list of the celebrity winners who partnered with those pros: Kelly Monaco, Drew Lachey, Emmitt Smith, Apolo Anton Ohno, Helio Castroneves, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brooke Burke, Shawn Johnson, Donny Osmond, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Grey, Hines Ward, J. R. Martinez, Donald Driver, Melissa Rycroft, Kellie Pickler, and Amber Riley.) (9 answers)

7. Name a professional team primary mascot (NBA, NFL, NHL, or MLB) that is a non-human animal (living or costumed) but is not an animal in the team name. (For example, a bulldog mascot for the Bulldogs would not count, but a bulldog for a non-Bulldogs team would count. Also, the animal has to be a recognizable kind of animal, so creatures like the Phillie Phanatic, Mr. Met, or Youppi! don't count). (43 answers as far as I can tell.) (If you have a questionable mascot, ask and I'll tell you if it counts; if it doesn't, I'll let you submit another mascot.)

8. Name someone who has finished second in the U.S. Presidential election (as defined by Electoral College results) multiple times OR someone who finished second in a Presidential election but lost by at least 300 electoral votes. (17 answers)

9. Name a member of the winning U.S. golf team at the 2013 Presidents Cup. (12 answers)

10. Choose one of these lines from William Shakespeare and name the character who said the line. (10 answers)
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
If music be the food of love, play on
A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players
If you prick us, do we not bleed?
Out, damned spot! Out, I say!
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of war
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown
I am a man more sinned against than sinning

11. Name one of the twenty standard amino acids that are encoded by the universal genetic code. (20 answers, obviously)

12. Name a country or territorial entity that has had multiple winners of Miss Universe. (14 answers)

13. Name an album that has won an Album of the Year Grammy and also topped the Billboard 200 album chart (or equivalent chart at the time). (39 answers)

14. Name a city with a Federal Reserve Bank. (12 answers)

15. Name a correct response to a Final Jeopardy that was missed by Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, or Roger Craig. (26 for Ken, 7 for Brad, 6 for Roger, total of 39 answers)

BONUS 1. Name a "Saturday Night Live" host who has also won an Olympic gold medal. (7 answers; only need to give one, though)

BONUS 2. Name one of the four rookies that played on the U.S. team at the 2013 Presidents Cup.

BONUS 3. Name the letter that is used on the $1 to represent the Federal Reserve Bank you named in Question 14.
Last edited by mujason on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jason
mujason

Post by mujason »

This post reserved for clarifications (if needed) and for the list of entrants.

Entrants: 43, finalized
MarkBarrett
UniquePerspective
Alyssa
Creed Bratton
lieph82
esrever
gamawire
geolawyerman
ElendilPickle
econgator
jpahk
Lilac
jjwaymee
Joy
mennoknight
Aardvark
Rackme32
Kayanne
Lumosityfan
chalupabatman786
dnbguy
dott888
jeffwolfe
tjconn728
Turd Ferguson
DadofTwins
amorris525
Kingrat47
Magna
Milpool
goatman
nserven
Bamaman
goforthetie
immaf
Vanya
ihavejeoprosy
Paucle
jeff6286
Sherm
cheezguyty
jkbrat
Paulsaysthought

Clarification 1: On Question 15, as Mark says, the Final miss will be limited to aired episodes (in case Ken, Brad, or Roger missed a Final in the Decades tapings).
Last edited by mujason on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.
-Jason
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For #15 what would happen if some obnoxious ass who attended a taping gave a response that was missed in the Battle of the Decades that has not aired yet? I'm not saying any of the three champs missed their as yet unaired FJ! clues, but still perhaps the Q should specify pre-BOTD?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

If a question Ken/Brad/Roger missed had multiple correct answers, let's say A and B, would A and B be considered separate responses to #15 or the same response?
mujason

Post by mujason »

On #15, if a Final required X or Y, if a poster says X and another says Y, it will still count as the same response.
-Jason
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Aww. You could at least have had a question about Fermat primes as a replacement, you know. ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:Aww. You could at least have had a question about Fermat primes as a replacement, you know. ;)
May as well have. There are 4 of these I have no answer for. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For the SNL question, does the person need to be an athlete or would a broadcaster or sportswriter be acceptable?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Aww. You could at least have had a question about Fermat primes as a replacement, you know. ;)
May as well have. There are 4 of these I have no answer for. :)
I only have answers (mostly one) for six.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Yes, a sports broadcaster would work (I have at least two on my list).
-Jason
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:May as well have. There are 4 of these I have no answer for. :)
Me too! If I entered now, I'd be reduced to joke answers. Maybe some real answers will occur to me between now and the deadline.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Up to sixteen now with just under six days to go. Plenty of singletons left!
-Jason
mujason

Post by mujason »

Bump; now to 20 entries. Monday deadline.
-Jason
mujason

Post by mujason »

Bumper cars, bumper crop, bump on a log! 21 entries now.
-Jason
mujason

Post by mujason »

Bump again; 24 entries now.
-Jason
Paulsaysthought
Contributor

Post by Paulsaysthought »

Long time lurker, looking to hop in the game, just to get my feet wet!
mujason

Post by mujason »

Bump; less than 48 hours to go, and with 26 entries, there are still singletons left.
-Jason
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

mujason wrote: there are still singletons left.
I always hate seeing this quote after ive sent in an entry. Makes me feel ive missed something.
Entry will be forthcoming.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
mujason

Post by mujason »

Bump with less than 24 hours to go; 33 entries now.
-Jason