TD180: Ice Hockey(IIHF/NHL)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

TD180: Ice Hockey(IIHF/NHL)

Post by wallzy41 »

Think Differently 180- Ice Hockey (IIHF/NHL): Open 00:00 2/17/14

Rules:
The rules are somewhat adapted from Creed Bratton’s TD167:
1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 11:59PM/23:59 EST or 0859PM/20:59 PST, on Sunday, February 23, 2014.

3.The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer. The highest number of correct responses will be deemed the “PIM(Penalty in Minutes)”, known in other games as the Sheep score.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "PIM/Sheep" score (highest correct score on that question) times 2.
c. You may “Drop the Gloves” on one question and receive a score of 0. You may also use the “PIM” option on one question. Not surprisingly, it will give you the same amount of points as the PIM answer.
d. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. Special Scoring for TD180-
a.To help you on your journey, there will be 2 bonus questions. They will be there only to help you and will result in no penalty for an incorrect or incomplete response. Each correct bonus answer will lower your score by one point for a possible 6 points. Those who do not use a drop/sheep will receive a 10 point bonus, for a possible drop of 16 points altogether.

5. Some countries no longer exist. IIHF counts defunct countries as their current incarnation, the IOC recognizes the defunct countries as separate entities.
6. Team nicknames only are permitted, except where a location is required to accompany nicknames.
7. The tiebreakers will be as follows: Scores before bonus, singletons, doubletons, and submission order.
8. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.
9. Currently active, as asked in the questions, is current to the Olympic Break(Feb. 9, 2014)
10. As with many intramural sports, the goal here is, “Good luck, and have fun!”
Last edited by wallzy41 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
wallzy41

Re: TD180: Ice Hockey(IIHF/NHL)

Post by wallzy41 »

Spoiler
GAME:
1. Since 1920, Ice Hockey has been included in the Olympics. Name an Olympic Ice Hockey medal-winning country. I will need the specific country, as outlined in Rule #5.

2. Between 1967 and 1973, the NHL expanded from 6 teams (The Original 6) to 16 . Name a team that was created or brought into the league from this time period. For this question, I will need the full team name when it was added to the league, for example: Hershey B’ars.

3. What good is a team without a coach? Name an NHL head coach who has won the Jack Adams Award, which has been awarded annually since 1974 by the NHL Broadcasters Association to the coach “adjudged to have contributed the most to his team’s success.”

Bonus 1: Followup to the Jack Adams Award. Name a coach who has won the award multiple times, as well as how many times he has won the award. Only one guess per coach, and 5 total guesses. Example format: (K. Jennings, 74)

4.Although hundreds of players have appeared in 1,000 or more regular-season games, only 14 have appeared in at least 1,500. Name one of those 1500-club players. (Hint: none are still active.)

Bonus 2- For a 1 point reduction, name the team on which more of those 14 players have played on than any other.

5.The IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) hosts a World Championship, similar to the World Baseball Classic, during the NHL playoffs. Name a medal winning country. See Rule #5 for an explanation on accepted countries.

6.Undisputed MVP! Name an NHL player who has won both the Hart Trophy(MVP as judged by Professional Hockey Writer’s association) and the Lester B. Pearson/Ted Lindsay Award(MVP as judged by NHL Player’s association) in the same season.

7.In hockey lore, the Miracle on Ice, when a “Cinderella team” won the Ice Hockey Gold Medal at the 1980 Olympics, is one of the biggest stories in hockey history. Name a team that participated in the 1980 Olympics in Ice Hockey.

8.Goaltenders in the NHL have, subjectively speaking, the toughest job on the ice and possibly throughout all of professional sports. Goaltenders are given 2 awards annually because of their unique statistics, the Vezina(MVP of Goaltenders, voted on by NHL General managers) and the William M. Jennings, essentially a team effort of the starter and backup(s) for allowing the fewest total goals over the regular season. Name a Team whose goaltender(s) have won the Jennings, which has been awarded since 1982.

9.Among active NHL goaltenders, name one that has more than 214 regular season wins.

10.College is one of two main ways to receive a chance at the NHL. According to the USCHO.com Men’s Division I Poll that came out on 2/10/14, name one of the Top 20 Hockey schools in the country.

11.The other main way to receive a chance at the NHL is to go through the CHL, the Canadian Hockey League, a set of Three Major Junior Leagues set across Canada and the Northern US. Name a Province or State that hosts a CHL team.

12. We are the champions of perseverance! Since 2001, 8 players who are currently active have been awarded the Masterton Trophy, the trophy awarded for the player who “best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.” Name one.

13. Since 1915, the Stanley Cup has gone to the Champions of the National Hockey League. Name a current team who has made 4 or more appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals since 1915. Teams that have changed name are listed under their current incarnation.

EDIT: RandyG had helped me construct better wording for the questions and I had left a few editing punctuation marks in there. They should be gone now.
EDIT 2: tjconn728 pointed out an error in Q10. It is for Last week's poll(the week of 2/10)
Last edited by wallzy41 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
wallzy41

Post by wallzy41 »

Clarifications:
I received a PM about #13 being incorrect. Other non-NHL teams have won the Stanley Cup since 1915, however, the question is asking for teams in their current incarnation only as members of the NHL.

Watching 2014 Olympic Hockey does not count as research, as no questions directly pertain to them. Watching other years will. As with most TD games, research is prohibited.
Last edited by wallzy41 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wallzy41

Post by wallzy41 »

Game will open at Midnight! Rules and Questions have been posted. I will begin accepting responses at Midnight on 2/17.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Is there a question #4?
wallzy41

Post by wallzy41 »

Participant List as of 11:55 PM, 2/23:

geolawyerman
kingrat47
dnbguy
gamawire
amorris525
Vanya
TryingHarder
mennoknight
MarkBarrett
skullturf
the_phil
Bamaman
CoachP
chalupabatman786
dude33
dott888
RandyG
Woof
BobF
Creed Bratton
tjconn728
Turd Ferguson
Paulsaysthought
jeffwolfe
econgator
goforthetie
Milpool
jjwaymee
DadofTwins
This is Kirk!
Last edited by wallzy41 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Usually I look at these, say to myself, "How bad can it be?" and enter - but not this one. :) Best of luck to all who participate!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote:Usually I look at these, say to myself, "How bad can it be?" and enter - but not this one. :) Best of luck to all who participate!
I've never missed one, but I suspect about half of my entries to be wrong on this one. :)
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

The rules say nothing about outside research, but I assume that is forbidden...

For clarification, though, does watching Olympic hockey count as illegal research?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

econgator wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:Usually I look at these, say to myself, "How bad can it be?" and enter - but not this one. :) Best of luck to all who participate!
I've never missed one, but I suspect about half of my entries to be wrong on this one. :)
Ditto that - I think I guessed on eight of them.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

chalupabatman786 wrote:For clarification, though, does watching Olympic hockey count as illegal research?
If it does, too bad. There's no better hockey on the planet than Olympic hockey.
dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by dnbguy »

Submitted. I feel ok about most of these, although some might be super sheep.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

That hint for number 4 is very helpful. I was ready to jump on one of the two current position players who are over 40 years old, but I guess I'll stay away.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for using both the hockey question I had panned for my sports TD in a couple weeks and the backup question I came up with in case my original got burned. :P
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

There could not be a bigger wheelhouse for me. Fun.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

I apologize if this has an obvious answer, but on question 10, is that a ranking of top 20 schools this season, the week of this poll, all-time, or something else? I guess I'm not following exactly what the "top 20 hockey schools" are ranked by.
wallzy41

Post by wallzy41 »

tjconn728 wrote:I apologize if this has an obvious answer, but on question 10, is that a ranking of top 20 schools this season, the week of this poll, all-time, or something else? I guess I'm not following exactly what the "top 20 hockey schools" are ranked by.
I updated the game thread to address that.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

soxfan99 wrote:That hint for number 4 is very helpful. I was ready to jump on one of the two current position players who are over 40 years old, but I guess I'll stay away.
I'm surprised neither one of them have played 1500 games, though it seems that they're both close enough that they would be well past 1500 if not for Gary Bettman and his multiple lockouts...
wallzy41

Post by wallzy41 »

Giving a friendly midweek bump! Lots of Singletons still available!
wallzy41

Post by wallzy41 »

Doing a dump and change up to the top of the list. Still about 3 days to get your entries in, but why delay?