Think Different 181...you could be a winner

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Think Different 181...you could be a winner

Post by Bamaman »

After consulting with RandyG, I am rolling out the latest TD game now.

Welcome to 181st edition of our ongoing series of Think Different games. Like all TD games, the goal is to give the least popular answer to a series of questions. The theme for this game is sports.

The rules......

1. For this game, there will be 12 questions, the first eleven each relate to a different sport, the last question related to many different sports.

2. Please submit your answers to me by p-mail. Do not post your answers in this thread or discuss your answers in any other thread, even if something related to this game comes up in a Jeopardy! episode. The deadline for submitting your answers is Monday March 10, 2014, at 2:00 PM, CDT.

3. For each question, your score will be the total number of people who give your answer, including yourself.

4. For an incorrect answer, your score will be that of the sheep (most popular) answer plus eight. So if the sheep is worth nine points, a score for a wrong answer will be worth 17 points.

5. Each player will be able to skip one question. For the question you wish to skip, put DROP for that question and you will receive zero points for that question.

6. You will also have a chance to skip a second question if you wish by visiting the concession stand and missing that event. Simply type CONCESSION STAND as your response for that question and your score will be the number of people in line at the concession stand for that question.

7. As always, your answers must come from your own memory bank. Looking up answers in any printed material, website or asking a friend is not allowed. If you happen to stumble across a correct answer in the course of your daily life, that is permitted and is your good fortune. However, please try to to avoid situations where you think you might run across an answer. For example, if ESPN were to air a show about the Super Bowl, please do not watch before submitting your answers as there is a question related to that game in this quiz.

8. In case of a tie, the tie will be broken by number of singletons and then the number of doubletons. If that does not break the tie, the winner will be determined by earliest entry.

9. If you need clarification about a question, you can post your question in this thread. But if you believe it would be a spoiler for other players or you'd just rather ask in private, feel free to send me a p-mail to ask your question.

I do want everyone to do well on the quiz. I understand that any TD limited to one subject is going to scare people off. But please take a look at the questions before deciding not to play. I have tried my best to design most of the questions so that people with just a bare knowledge of sports will be able to come up with at least one answer. Often in these games, what seems like the obvious answer will be a singleton while a very obscure response will be a sheep. You also have the drop and the concession stand option to help you out.

There is one other reason to play this game. Many TDs offer prizes to the winners. But those are just jokes and nobody actually gets anything.

That is not the case with this game. The overall winner of this game will receive an actual valuable prize. That person will be rewarded for their knowledge base by being named JBoarder of the Month for the month of April. I know, it is just a 30 day month and it would be better if you had an extra day to bask in your glory, but the budget for this game is low and a 30 day month is all I could afford.

I will try to have the questions posted by tonight.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Think Different 181...you could be a winner

Post by Bamaman »

1. Baseball
Today, most baseball stadiums are named for corporate sponsors. While I understand the economic realities of that trend, I'm sure most fans are like me and yearn for the days when stadiums had unique names that identified them with a city and its team.

Below are the names of ten stadiums that have gone the way of the Sunday afternoon doubleheader. Pick one and tell me the team that called it home. I also want it to be the name of team when it actually played there. While some stadiums may have hosted another team on a temporary basis at some point, I want the name of the team (both geographic and nickname) that is most identified with that stadium. By this, I mean the team that played more home games there than any other team.

Remember to give both the geographic name and nickname for the team whose stadium you select.

Baker Bowl
Crosley Field
Ebbets Field
Griffith Stadium
Jarry Park
Exhibition Stadium
Forbes Field
Sick's Stadium
Polo Grounds
Shea Stadium

2. Football
The biggest sporting event in this country is the Super Bowl. Name a city where a Super Bowl has been played. For this question, I want the actual city where it was played, not the name of the major city close by that the media may identify as the host city. For example, there has never been a Super Bowl played in Phoenix, Arizona, but the game has been played in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Any future games that have been awarded but not yet played are considered incorrect.

3. Basketball
Laker fans may disagree, but no NBA team has a deeper heritage or does more to honor it than the Boston Celtics. To date, 19 people who played for the Celtics have been honored by having their numbers retired and hung in the rafters of the team's arena. Another player's number wasn't officially retired for him, but he is honored along side the others and he is an acceptable answer. Two non-players who were associated with the team had a number assigned for them and retired. In addition, another person associated with the Celtics had an inanimate object retired for him and he is an acceptable answer. So there are 23 possible answers to this question.

Name one of the 23 men who are honored by the Celtics on a banner above the court.

4. Hockey
For many years, the National Hockey League was a stable six team league. Then they went through a rapid period of expansion in the 1960s and 70s, including absorbing the surviving WHA teams, which caused the league to grow to 21 teams. They stayed at that number until the 1990s when they began to expand again, growing into the current 30 teams.

Name one of the nine teams to join the NHL since the start of the 1991-92 season. I need the name of the team, both geographic and nickname, that it had when it began play.

5. Track and Field

The winner of the Olympic decathlon is sometimes called the world's greatest athlete. While this may not be the case, it is still a grueling athletic challenge.

Name one of the ten events that made up the 2012 Olympic decathlon. To my knowledge, these are the same events used in all decathlons, but I just wanted to avoid any cases of uncertainty.

6. Wrestling

While it does not get the huge media attention as the Final Four, the NCAA Wrestling Championships are still a hotly contested event. This year's championships will be held later this month in Oklahoma City.

To date, a total of eleven schools have won the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship. Name one of these eleven schools

7. Soccer
The biggest sporting event on the planet is the FIFA World Cup. Qualifying for the cup is a lengthy process where the world is divided into geographic regions. One of these regions is CONCACAF.

To date, there have been ten countries from this region that have advanced to the World Cup. Name one of them.

8. Golf
In 1930, Bobby Jones won the U.S. and British Amateurs, the U.S. Open and the Open Championship (aka the British Open). Since then, the amateur events have slipped in prestige and have been replaced by the Masters and PGA as golfing majors. Since the change, no one has won all four majors in a single calendar year. In fact, only five men have won all four in a career, while another eleven have won three of the four.

Name one of the 16 men who have won at least three of the following tournaments....The Masters, the U.S. Open, the Open Championship and the PGA. (Bobby Jones is not a correct answer).

9. Horse racing
While thoroughbred horse racing is not as high a profile sport as it once was, the triple crown races still generate a great deal of attention. These races, restricted to three year olds, are the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes. A horse that wins all three is said to have won the triple crown.

Name one of the eleven horses to win the triple crown.

10. Boxing
Mike Tyson burst onto the scene at a very young age. He was known for his early round knockouts and became the youngest heavyweight champion of all time at the age of 20 in 1986. He continued to dominate the heavyweight division until a self destructive lifestyle outside the ring led to an upset loss to Buster Douglass in 1990. A rape conviction landed him in prison, but he was able to regain the title after leaving prison, though he was never able to regain the stature he once had.

Name one of the ten men Tyson defeated in a heavyweight title bout prior to his loss to Douglass on February 11, 1990.

11. Tennis
The biggest team prize in mens' tennis is the Davis Cup. Prior to 1972, the finals were a challenge format, where the previous year's champion faced the winner of a world tournament to determine who won the Davis Cup. This changed in 1972 when the defending champ was required to compete in the full tournament with the tournament winner claiming the Cup.

Name one of the 13 countries to win the Davis Cup since the challenge format was abolished in 1972.

12. Sports at the Movies
Sports have long been a popular subject for movie plots. Select one of the movies below and tell me which sport is the focus of the film.

Blades of Glory
Breaking Away
Cool Runnings
The Fish that saved Pittsburgh
Greased Lightning
Gus
The Hustler
It Happens Every Spring
Seabiscuit
Slapshot
Somebody Up there likes Me
Victory
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The following players have entered. Names in bold are ones I have scored.

geolawyerman
lieph82
ElendilPickle
dnbguy
TryingHarder
Paucle
mujason
CoachP
RackMe32
BobF

happybooker
gamawire
Creed Bratton
Kingrat47
Alyssa
DadofTwins
UniquePerspective
esrever
MarkBarrett
Woof

soxfan99
amorris525
Leander
Magna
chalupabatman
zakharov
jeff6286
dott888
clprez
Paulsaysthought

debramc
Aardvark
nserven
Austin Powers
Vanya
jjwaymee
jeffwolfe
JeopardyMom
dude33
Joy

tjconn728
Lilac
Turd Ferguson
ayeembored
Kayanne
goforthetie
OrangeSAM
ihavejeoprosy
ModernDayWarrior
dhkendall

econgator
wallzy41
WoppyT
RandyG
jkbrat
This Is Kirk!
mennoknight
Sherm
xxaaaxx
cheezyguyty
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Clarifications and other information goes here.
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

Hello,

I'm new. I read the sticky and FAQ and it says I need to have 3 posts and be approved in order to send PMs. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I would like to bring attention to the fact I'm not a troll, and would like to get approved. I have posted a previous post and taken a poll, but when I looked at "View your posts", I didn't see anything.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

I believe your posts must be approved by a moderator first. It says you currently have one post.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The questions have now been posted and the game is officially open. Remember, the winner will be j-boarder of the month in April. If that isn't incentive enough to enter, I don't know what is.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

clprez wrote:Hello,

I'm new. I read the sticky and FAQ and it says I need to have 3 posts and be approved in order to send PMs. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I would like to bring attention to the fact I'm not a troll, and would like to get approved. I have posted a previous post and taken a poll, but when I looked at "View your posts", I didn't see anything.
You have until March 10th to enter, so get busy posting. :-) Welcome to JBoard.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

What a great, accessible game! Already entered. Had at least one "fersure" answer for all but two. Of those, very educated guess on one, but had to drop the other with NHIH.
Thanks, Bamaman. (I was looking for Sportsman's Park in question #1, though!)
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

In for another dose of "Pick the Sheep/Be outright wrong"!
Nice quiz, was hoping for an opportunity to name more answers in the movie question.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Whaddaya know... A total wheelhouse game category for me...

Watch me take the fact that I knew multiple answers to almost all of these q's and ALL the answers for at least one... And turn it into a flock of sheep and a finish out of the Top Ten... :)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I hope Arthur plays this game.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Do we have to indicate which stadium we selected in Question 1 and which film we selected in Question 12?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

jeffwolfe wrote:Do we have to indicate which stadium we selected in Question 1 and which film we selected in Question 12?
Yes
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeffwolfe wrote:Do we have to indicate which stadium we selected in Question 1 and which film we selected in Question 12?
Yes. You must match up a stadium with a team and movie for a sport.

Example
Yankee Stadium-New York Yankees

Rocky-Boxing

I do not need a number on the Celtics question. Just name someone who meets the criteria.

Also, once you have submitted your answers, you may not change them later.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

For question 7, are you asking for the CONCACAF teams that have advanced to the 2014 World Cup, or to any World Cup competition?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote:For question 7, are you asking for the CONCACAF teams that have advanced to the 2014 World Cup, or to any World Cup competition?
For any World Cup.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

For number 4, I assume a team that relocated doesn't count? Is that correct?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm not saying I did or did not use it for my answer, but in #12 the movie is Slap Shot with two words. I would tell you your punishment, but that would be a spoiler. Remind me after the game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

soxfan99 wrote:For number 4, I assume a team that relocated doesn't count? Is that correct?
If a team has moved, I want the original name of the team. If the New York Flemings moved and became the Culver City Trebeks, you would need to give me New York Flemings to be counted correct.