Think Different 183: March Madness 2014

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Think Different 183: March Madness 2014

Post by Lumosityfan »

The crowd roars, the mascots cheer, Dick Vitale goes crazy!

Yes, it's that time of year again, accompanied as always with crazy buzzer-beaters and teams like Wichita State from last year busting up your bracket! (And, of course, that crazy challenge for a perfect bracket winning $1 billion! Who would have thought?) Anyhow, I'm your host, lumosityfan, testing your knowledge of the history of the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament. Before we begin, I'd like to go over a few guidelines (borrowed, of course, from TDs of days long gone):
1. All answers must be posted through PM (NOT BY REGULAR POSTING) by 6:00 PM Sunday, March 23, 2014. (Coincidentally, exactly 7 days after Selection Sunday begins!)
2. As always, you may only use what's in your wonderful noggin. If I suspect any cheating, posting of possible right answers, and mischief of this sort, I will have no choice but to report you to the NCAA Infractions Committee. (Who probably won't deal with you at all (hint hint Miami football?))
3. The goal of the game is to get the lowest score.
4. Scoring goes as such:
a. Right answers earn you the amount of people who answered that answer.
b. Wrong answers earn you 2 times the sheep (the most popular right answer).
5. Here are the lovely bonuses awaiting you today:
a. DROP - 0 points.
b. HEDGE - used to accompany an answer. If you get the answer wrong, you will only get half the wrong answer penalty.
c. Bonus Questions: if you get them right, -1. The bonuses are independant of the questions.
5. If you, while watching this lovely tournament, stumble upon a right answer, feel free to use said info. However, I do not want people snooping around Wikipedia intentionally finding right answers. (See Rule 2 for more details).
6. Tiebreakers go as follows: number of questions correct, number of singletons, number of doubletons, whether used drop, submission order.
6. As always, have fun, don't let wrong answers bite you in the butt, and good luck!

Let the games begin!
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
Lumosityfan

Re: Think Different 183: March Madness 2014

Post by Lumosityfan »

Questions:

1. Name a winner of this wonderful tournament.
2. Name a team that has been named #1 seed.
3. Name a year in which only 0 or 1 number one seeds made it to the Final Four.
4. Name a team that has won the tournament while ranked number one in either the AP or Coaches Poll at the start of the tournament.
5. Name a team to have suffered the ignoble distinction of having its wins vacated.
6. Name a team to go undefeated and win the title.
7. Name a team to win and not be able to defend their title.
8. Name a site to have hosted the FInal Four.
9. Name a team seeded 8 or lower that has made it to the FInal Four.
10. Name a team to have played in the Final Four in its home state.
11. 7 players have maintained a 35.0 point-per-game average through a tournament. Name one of the them.
12. Name a coach to have led his team to at least 2 Final Fours.
13. Name a team to have participated in either the play-in games or the First Four.
14. Name a team ranked #14 or #15 to upset a team in the opening round.
15. Name a year in which the championship game went into overtime.
16. Name a MOP to not be part of the winning team the year he won the MOP award.
B1. Pertaining to #11, Name the only person to have done so more than once.
B2. Pertaining to #12, Name a coach to have led his team to at least 2 championships.
B3. Name a year in which no #1 seed made it to the Final Four.
B4. Name the only year in which all #1 seeds made it to the Final Four.
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

I think having to name a year for more than half of the questions will make this inaccessible for a lot of people. How does "BUZZERBEATER" work?
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

I agree with lieph82. I have a pretty good knowledge of the NCAA tournament and could give multiple answers to each question within a year or two of the right answer, but asking for exact years to most of these questions is probably a bit much.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

lieph82 wrote:I think having to name a year for more than half of the questions will make this inaccessible for a lot of people. How does "BUZZERBEATER" work?
My thoughts exactly. The point isn't to make the questions hard - if the quizmaster wouldn't have been sure of at least two correct answers without looking them up first, it's a bad TD question. I'm guessing that this is true for at least a few of these questions.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

I have not missed a TD since joining the old boards around TD 54, but this one looks like it will break my streak. I'm sure, as others have already said, most of us cannot just rattle off the years like that, even if we know multiple answers to each question.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gamawire wrote:I have not missed a TD since joining the old boards around TD 54, but this one looks like it will break my streak. I'm sure, as others have already said, most of us cannot just rattle off the years like that, even if we know multiple answers to each question.
I'll enter, just because I haven't missed one, but I only know answers to 5 of the 16 questions.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

econgator wrote:
gamawire wrote:I have not missed a TD since joining the old boards around TD 54, but this one looks like it will break my streak. I'm sure, as others have already said, most of us cannot just rattle off the years like that, even if we know multiple answers to each question.
I'll enter, just because I haven't missed one, but I only know answers to 5 of the 16 questions.
I see the questions have been altered, dropping the requirement to name years (thank you, lumosity!). Okay, I'll play (and lose). I think all of mine will be guesses but two.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Clarifications:

Overall, none of the answers take into account this year's tournament. All answers are for all tournaments up to 2013 including 2013.
12. If a coach went to more than two Final Fours with more than 1 team, then that answer would be correct.
8. When I mean "site", I mean actual stadium name. For example, if the city that hosted it was called Hoovertown and the stadium that hosted it was called "Hoover Stadium", the answer would be "Hoover Stadium", not "Hoovertown".
13. For play-in games, I'll only count the ones post-2000. (For instance, the play-in games caused by the intro of the Mountain West Conference, not the ones due to the 48-team format).
4. I failed to mention that the question should be asking who won the tournament while ranked #1 in the AP/Coaches Poll at the time of the start of the tournament.
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:
If I were to enter, I might break some kind of record for wrong answers.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll play but wait to enter. I finished reading this week's issue of Time and five upsets were highlighted. Who knows what else I will enounter before the deadline. In #8 I want to be clear for "site." Is it the Jeopardy-Dome or Culver City?

The deadline of Sunday the 23rd says 1 days after selection Sunday. 7 days?

In the questions there are a few with the spelling of Final as Flnal.
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

I would just like to bring to everyone's attention the introduction of 2 new bonus questions.

After this, ALL QUESTIONS ARE FINAL! Only clarifications will be made as necessary. (Thank you!)
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

LumosityFan,

My son (who is the big sports fan around here) would like to enter, with me sending it in. I assume that's fine? You could post it in the standings as "periwinkle's kid", or just as periwinkle if that's easier for you (it just will make people think I know a lot more than I do about basketball!).

Thanks for the TD!
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

periwinkle wrote:LumosityFan,

My son (who is the big sports fan around here) would like to enter, with me sending it in. I assume that's fine? You could post it in the standings as "periwinkle's kid", or just as periwinkle if that's easier for you (it just will make people think I know a lot more than I do about basketball!).

Thanks for the TD!
Of course!
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Participants (21):
gamawire
esrever
periwinkle
lieph82
geolawyerman
DadOfTwins
Rackme32
nestegg
dnbguy
clprez
chalupabatman786
dott888
Creed Bratton
econgator
amorris525
tjconn728
MarkBarrett
UniquePerspective
jjwaymee
jeff6286
Bamaman
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Lumosityfan wrote:
periwinkle wrote:LumosityFan,

Thanks for the TD!
Of course!
Great, thank you! He's psyched to enter. Just rattled off all his answers to me a few minutes ago (this is a kid who had a March Madness -decorated party after his bar mitzvah). Will send it in now.
nestegg
Contributor

Post by nestegg »

This is a very interesting TD! I love college basketball, so I would love to play this TD. I'm a newbie, and I know I need to get 3 posts approved before I can send a private message. This is one of those posts!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Am I correctly assuming that you can use Drop and Hedge once each?
Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan »

Rackme32 wrote:Am I correctly assuming that you can use Drop and Hedge once each?
You are correct!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If a new team becomes a correct answer to #2 or #4 due to this year's tourney brackets, do they count?