THinK DiFFeReNT 184: Classic Cinema Part II (Revised scoring)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

THinK DiFFeReNT 184: Classic Cinema Part II (Revised scoring)

Post by RandyG »

Image Image

CLASSIC CINEMA II

Fortunately for you (or not), you've stumbled onto the CLASSIC CINEMA Part II TD and are now under Svengali's spell.

There is no turning back or escape, so enjoy the ride as best you can.

The Red Carpet Rules
OK, you know how TDs work.... come up with correct answers that match as few of the other players as possible. The player with the lowest net score will be proclaimed "Master of the Universe" and earn a backstage pass to next year's Academy Awards Ceremony or something.

Scoring:
CORRECT answers score the number of players who gave that answer.
INCORRECT answers score the SHEEP (most popular correct answer for that question) + 5.
∙ You may DROP one question, which will score a 0. Mark it DROP.
∙ You may, but are not required to, WILD CARD one question. Mark it WILD CARD or WC. A WC is automatically a correct answer to any question and is collated and scored as any other correct answer. For example, if 8 players WC question #4, then the WC score for #4 is 8.
∙ Blank answers will be considered incorrect, as will second DROPs or WILD CARDs.
∙ There are 6 BONUS opportunities where 2 points will be shaved from your score for correct answers. (Hey, a chance for a negative score on some questions!) There is no penalty for incorrect answers on the bonus questions, but you must get the main question correct (and not as a WC) for your bonus answer to be considered.
- There is also a FINAL BONUS opportunity, which is fully described in the question section.
- Jeopardy! rules apply for names. I'll be flexible on titles, but they have to be pretty close in order to be considered correct. (Jeopardy! is quite inflexible when it comes to titles.) Spelling is not important as long as you're close.
∙ Scoring is additive. In the case of ties, the player with the better score on the final bonus question, as described below, will be ranked higher.
- Unless explicitly qualified otherwise, an "actor" can be either male or female.

No IMDBeeing or any other external help.

Submit your answers by PM here by Monday, March 31st, 3 PM Pacific time. Please do not post in this thread answers or anything that might give them away before the quiz closes! Don't check your answers or do any research until I send you an acknowledgment or your name is posted on the contestant list without a note to PM me. If you need a clarification to any question, then PM me. As necessary, I will post clarifications in the thread.

Your comments are welcome, but it would help considerably if you place the comments after your answers. Also, it would be appreciated if you format your responses as follows, leading each line with your answers (or bonus answers):
1. Answer 1
1b. Bonus answer 1
2. Answer 2
2b. Bonus answer 2
3. Answer 3
3b. Bonus answer 3
4. Answer 4
Final Bonus: Bonus 1, Bonus 2, Bonus 3, etc.

A special thanks to gamawire for being my second set of eyes on this TD, helping me to weed out mistakes and ambiguities!

Thanks folks. Have fun!!
Last edited by RandyG on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RandyG

Re: THinK DiFFeReNT 184: Classic Cinema Part II

Post by RandyG »

54 Participants

Mathew5000
Joy
PowerofHoodoo
Leander
immaf
sarah0114
Vanya
Caboom
CreedBratton
10 gamawire

MarkBarrett
periwinkle
naurae29
Aardvark
abnormal (2+2 boardie)
DWetzel (2+2)
ElendilPickle
Magna
esrever
20 waterloo_guy

Kingrat47
nserven
Kayanne
Fleeboy
teapot37
nestegg
econgator
Rackme32
ihavejeoprosy
30 MelodyKH

tjconn728
Peggles
clprez
Lilac
Alyssa
jjwaymee
dnbguy
JeopardyMom
goforthetie
40 coolcah36

Bamaman
Jaksiel
Noon
Turd Ferguson
dhkendall
debramc
Lefty
kioshk
Paulsaysthought
50 jkbrat

mitchparov
Leah
opusthepenguin
domer2 (2+2)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 40 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

REMINDER! You may DROP one question for a 0, WILD CARD one question for an automatic correct, and there are 6 BONUS questions plus a FINAL BONUS. Take advantage of these opportunities to lower your score; see the rules above for how they are scored. Also, it should be obvious that there are oodles of hints scattered throughout.

1. LOUIS, I THINK THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL QUIZ. Fourteen actors receive on-screen credits in the classic film Casablanca, which pretty much corresponds to all of those that have a role with more than just passing significance. Name one of those 14 actors.

Bonus: Casablanca has arguably the greatest number of memorable quotes of any film in history. It's little wonder then that in 2005 the Writers Guild of America voted Casablanca the greatest screenplay of all time. Name one of the three men credited for the screenplay; last name only is sufficient, even though two of them share the same last name. (See the rules for how bonus questions are scored.)

2. THIS QUESTION IS ALL ABOUT CHARACTER GIANTS OF THE CINEMA. Name the classic film that featured one of the following principal characters. (Title only; no need to associate with a lettered choice.)

(A) Jett Rink
(B) Benjamin Braddock
(C) Margo Channing
(D) Charlie Allnut
(E) Cody Jarrett
(F) John Lloyd Sullivan
(G) Dr. David Huxley
(H) Sylvia Scarlett
(I) Father Chuck O'Malley
(J) Matthew Harrison Brady
(K) Adam Trask
(L) Joe Gillis
(M) Ransom Stoddard
(N) Richard Blaine

Bonus: Name an actor who played the character that you chose in any theatrically released version of the film.

3. A PICTURE MAY BE WORTH 1,000 WORDS, BUT IF YOU WANT TO CONTEND, PLEASE KEEP YOUR ANSWERS SHORT AND SSSSHHhhhhhh... keep your voice down. Name one of the classic films pictured below. (Title only; you don't need to associate with a numbered choice.)
Spoiler
Bonus: Name any identifiable actor in the picture from the film that you chose.

4. I'M AFRAID THAT YOU'LL HAVE TROUBLE RECOGNIZING THE KEY TO THIS QUESTION. Previous TDs have dealt with the film collaborations of Hope & Crosby and Tracy & Hepburn. Two other pairs of legendary actors who appeared together numerous times (and were also married for periods along the way) are Elizabeth Taylor & RIchard Burton (10 times, in the same film, that is) and Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall (5 times.) Name one of the 15 theatrically released feature films in which Taylor & Burton or Bogart & Bacall appeared together.

5. DOES SHE… OR DOESN'T SHE? ONLY HER HAIRDRESSER (AND HER HAIR COLOR GENE) KNOW FOR SURE. (I'LL BET SHE DOES, THOUGH.) Name one of the 12 blonde femmes fatales pictured below. Well, most of them are not actually femmes fatales in the classic sense, but you still should get the idea. I'm looking for the actress pictured, not any character that she portrayed. (Name only; you don't need to associate with a numbered choice.)
Spoiler
6. THE DEVIL MADE ME INCLUDE THIS QUESTION. (DON'T LAUGH, IT'S TRUE.) Name one of the classic silent films summarized below. (Title only; you don’t need to associate with a lettered choice.)

(A) The rise and inevitable fall of Lulu, a naive young woman whose insouciant eroticism inspires lust and violence in those around her.
(B) In Austria, two childhood friends -- Leo and Ulrich -- grow up to be soldiers. Leo becomes infatuated with Felicitas, the wife of a powerful count.
(C) The story of a poor young woman, separated by prejudice from her husband and baby, is interwoven with tales having a common theme from throughout history.
(D) A mad, disfigured composer seeks love with a lovely young opera singer.
(E) The sudden fortune won in a lottery fans such destructive avarice that it ruins the lives of the three people involved.
(F) Erstwhile childhood friends, Judah and Messala, meet again as adults, with Roman officer Messala as conqueror and Judah as a wealthy, though conquered, Israelite.
(G) Two young men -- one rich, one middle class -- who are in love with the same woman, become fighter pilots in World War I.
(H) A dramatized account of a great Russian naval mutiny and the resulting street demonstration which brought on a police massacre.
(I) Documents one year in the life of an Inuit and his family. Describes the trading, hunting, fishing and migrations of a group barely touched by industrial technology.
(J) Count Orlok purchases a new residence in the German town of Wisborg and journeys to his new home, leaving a wake of death along the way.
(K) Gwynplaine, son of Lord Clancharlie, has a permanent smile carved on his face by order of King James II as an act of revenge against Clancharlie.
(L) In a futuristic city sharply divided between the working class and the city planners, the son of the city's mastermind falls in love with a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a savior to mediate their differences.
(M) A tramp falls in love with a beautiful blind girl, whose family is in financial trouble. The tramp's on-and-off friendship with a wealthy man allows him to be the girl's benefactor and suitor.

Bonus: Name the director of any theatrically released silent version of the film that you chose.

7. K-K-K-KATY, BEAUTIFUL KATY, YOU'RE THE ONLY G-G-G-GIRL THAT I ADORE. (CAN'T ANSWER FOR NEGATIVE BAITS ON THIS QUESTION, BUT THERE ARE DEFINITELY POSITIVE ONES.) The name "Katherine" has roots that go back many hundreds of years, perhaps even thousands according to some etymologies, evolving around the world into numerous formal and informal variations and spellings over time. Name one of the 19 actresses named "Katherine" or some variation or diminutive (Kate, Kathy, Kat, Kathleen, Karen, Ina, Kitty, etc., or spelled somewhat differently, for example with a “C” rather than a “K”) who has been nominated for an Oscar in an acting category.

8. IT'S BYE, BYE FOR YOU IF I CATCH YOU PEKING PEEKING AT YOUR GPS. Name the film (or series) in which the primary action takes place in one of the following fictional locations. (Title only; you don't need to associate with a lettered choice. In case of a series, all films in the series will be grouped together.)

(A) Duchy of Grand Fenwick
(B) Tomainia
(C) Freedonia
(D) Bedford Falls
(E) Carpania
(F) Ishtar
(G) Isthmus
(H) Lugash
(I) Pepperland
(J) Vulgaria
(K) Emerald City
(L) Kings Row
(M) Sweet Apple, Ohio

9. THEY'RE NOT SO YOUNG ANYMOORE. BUT THEN AGAIN, AT LEAST THREE STILL ARE. Every year we lose screen legends who had lived well into their 80s, 90s or beyond. But then concurrently, every year other stars reach those advanced ages. Name a film actor with at least 3 theatrically released screen credits age 85 or older who is still alive as of this posting, March 23, 2014. (Several dozen relatively well-known to very well-known answers. Probably hundreds of lesser-knowns.)

Bonus: Name a film actor with at least 3 theatrically released screen credits who died in the year or so through March 22, 2014, having reached age 85 or older. If your answer has been gone more than a year, but still relatively close to a year, then you'll get credit. But remember, you have to get the main question correct for the bonus answer to be considered.

10. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I CAN NAME THAT FILM INN 3 NOTES.... TOPS! Name the film in which one of the following Academy Award nominated songs first appeared. All of these songs have become enduring standards, at least when they're compared to such unforgettable nominated greats as "There's a Breeze on Lake Louise" and "Zing a Little Zong." (Title only; you don't need to associate with a lettered choice.)

(A) Never On Sunday
(B) Cheek to Cheek
(C) _________ (Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darlin’)**
(D) Tammy
(E) Chim Chim Cher-ee
(F) I’m Easy
(G) Up Where We Belong
(H) When You Wish Upon a Star
(I) The Trolley Song
(J) The Man That Got Away
(K) Unchained Melody
(L) Jean
(M) White Christmas

** The blank in (C) is also the title of the film.

11. A"M"AZING GRACE IS NO UGLY DUCKLING. Following a small role in 1951’s Fourteen Hours and numerous television appearances, Grace Kelly starred in 10 theatrically released films from 1952-1956 before she retired from show business and did …… well, I'm not quite sure what she did after that. Not that it really matters, however, as your task is to name one of those 10 films.

Bonus: Name a male actor in a starring role who played opposite Ms. Kelly in the film that you chose.

12. TO BE FRANK, I'M NOT LYIN' THAT YOU MAY NEED SOME DIVINE GUIDANCE ON THIS QUESTION. Women we love on the silver screen already had their visual question on this quiz; now it's the mens' turn. Name one of the following character actors, each of whom you've seen in probably dozens of films and TV shows. (Name only; you don't need to associate it with a numbered choice.)
Spoiler
13. THIS IS A GEM OF A QUESTION TO FINISH WITH. I SUSPECT THAT IT WILL GO WITHOUT (OR WITH) A HITCH. It may be hard to believe that Alfred Hitchcock never won an Academy Award and that films he directed won only 6 Oscars in total across all the competitive categories. (Hitchcock did receive the Thalberg Memorial Award in 1968.) OK, mentioning the awards once again was a misdirection, so here's the real question: After starting his career in Britain in silent films, Hitchcock moved on to talkies, directing 16 theatrically released feature films that have 1 word titles. Name one of the 16. (One word means one word, so titles such as The Birds, do not count.)

FINAL BONUS. In its 86 years, the Academy Awards presentation has been at 10 different venues. For 1 point each off your score, name up to 5 of those venues. If a venue has been known by more than one name throughout its history, all of those names will be considered together as only one venue. You can guess up to 5 venues with no penalty for incorrect answers, but ties will be broken in the final score first by the number of correct answers and then by the fewest incorrect answers.
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Shameless promotion. :oops: :oops:

Starting in a couple of weeks.... Tuesday, April 8th at 8:00pm (and thereafter on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month), I'll be hosting a live trivia quiz at Cafe 50's in West Los Angeles. In theme with the restaurant, a long-time hangout on the west side, the trivia will be on 1950's and 1960's music, movies, TV, events, etc. If you're in the area, I'd love it if you drop by some time. Still working out the final details, but it will be fun..... most definitely. (And then we'll see about a webcast in the future.... )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmdh451w9nfbj ... p-red3.pdf (downloadable flyer)
http://www.cafe50strivia.com

Last edited by RandyG on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Clarifications and correckshuns corrections.

- Unless explicitly qualified otherwise, an "actor" can be either male or female.
- In #5, I'm looking for the actress pictured, not any "femme fatale" character that she portrayed.
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Placeholder....
Last edited by RandyG on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This quiz is impossible. I don't know any of them!!!!!!!
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Bamaman wrote:This quiz is impossible. I don't know any of them!!!!!!!
Look at this scrub. I have already submitted the perfect entry, please award me all the prizes, thanks in advance.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Bamaman wrote:This quiz is impossible. I don't know any of them!!!!!!!
:D

As Al Jolson said in The Jazz Singer, "You ain't seen nothing yet!".... and here he is:
Spoiler
ETA!ETA!ETA! Oops, wrong video.This is what Jolson actually said in 1927's The Jazz Singer:
Spoiler
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

For question #9, does the person have to have 3 theatrical after they turned 85? Or at least 3 in their lifetime, and they currently happen to be over 85?

Also, when you say "actor" in question #9, are you limiting it to male actors?
Teems with quiet fun.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Regged to take part in this. Not that I'll have any chance, as there are several questions I don't know, but I love movie trivia. :D
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

immaf wrote:For question #9, does the person have to have 3 theatrical after they turned 85? Or at least 3 in their lifetime, and they currently happen to be over 85?

Also, when you say "actor" in question #9, are you limiting it to male actors?
Actor can be male or female. I'll add that to the clarifications and general directions, thx.

At least 3 theatrical releases over an entire lifetime, not just after age 85. (The latter would be way, way difficult and probably have very few answers.) There have always been lots of celebrities from all fields who might have a credited cameo or two in theatrical films. I figure that 3 or more is the sign of a real actor.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Looks like a good one. I know a lot more of these now than I did just a year ago.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Caboom wrote:Regged to take part in this. Not that I'll have any chance, as there are several questions I don't know, but I love movie trivia. :D
In case you're not aware, you have to post 3 times before you're authorized to send private messages. :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I don't know if it affects any question (but it might), but I'm still wondering, what is the scope of "classic cinema", ie how new does a movie have to be before it's disqualified on age alone?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

dhkendall wrote:I don't know if it affects any question (but it might), but I'm still wondering, what is the scope of "classic cinema", ie how new does a movie have to be before it's disqualified on age alone?
That shouldn't affect any question. Although my theme is "classic cinema," anything that answers a question either literally or within the spirit of the question, if that becomes relevant, will be considered correct. It's subjective, but my definition of classic cinema for this quiz is generally centered on 1930's-1950's, but can extend back to the silent era as well as forward through the 1960's and early 1970's. Obviously some of the questions have answers that are more recent than that, such as the final bonus and the "Katherine" question. My intent was to not have firm date boundaries.
Last edited by RandyG on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

If you wild card or drop a question for "strategic " reasons, can you still get credit for the bonus ?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Leander wrote:If you wild card or drop a question for "strategic " reasons, can you still get credit for the bonus ?
No. The rules state that you have to get the main question correct and not as a wild card for the bonus to be considered.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Thanks, missed that.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

RandyG wrote:In case you're not aware, you have to post 3 times before you're authorized to send private messages. :D
Thank you, I was aware of that. Only one more to go now. :D

Just to make absolutely sure, checking out your own dvd's or dvd boxes counts as external help and is therefore forbidden, right?