Think Different 185: New Hampshire, The Granite State (Revised Final Standings)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Think Different 185: New Hampshire, The Granite State (Revised Final Standings)

Post by dnbguy »

Everyone put on your flannel shirts and head to Dunkin' Donuts, it's time for Think Different 185! This Think Different will test your knowledge of New Hampshire.

THE RULES (stolen from previous TDs):

1. Please send me your answers by private message. Do NOT post them anywhere in this thread!

2. The deadline for submission is 11:59:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on Sunday, April 6.

3. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may LIVE FREE on one question by listing that instead of an answer. That will give you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also LEAF PEEP on one question. If you choose to LEAF PEEP, you will join the crowds, and your score for that question will be equal to the "sheep" score. Choosing LEAF PEEP will not add to the sheep score. The sheep score will always be the most popular real answer, even if more people answer either LIVE FREE or LEAF PEEP.

6. There are three bonus questions. Each bonus question that you answer correctly will give you the opportunity to subtract points from your final score. There is no penalty for guessing on bonus questions.

7. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

8. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

9. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Good luck!
Last edited by dnbguy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dnbguy

Re: Think Different 185: New Hampshire, The Granite State

Post by dnbguy »

Questions:

1) New Hampshire is a small state. At less than 10,000 square miles, it is the 5th smallest state by area in the country. According to the 2010 census, New Hampshire had a population of 1,316,470, making it the 9th smallest state by population. Name a city or town in New Hampshire that had a population of over 20,000 according to the 2010 census (13 answers).

2) Every four years, politicians flock to New Hampshire for its presidential primary. The first presidential primary was held in New Hampshire in 1916 on the second Tuesday in March, coinciding with the traditional town meeting day. Minnesota also held a primary on the same day, while Indiana's primary had already taken place one week earlier. In 1920, Indiana rescheduled their primary to May and Minnesota canceled theirs; New Hampshire's primary was now being held at least one week before any other state's primary. This first-in-the-nation status is vigorously defended by state politicians.

Starting in 1952, voters in the primary were able to elect candidates directly as opposed to voting for a slate of delegates. Since then candidates who have performed well in the primary have tended to be successful at winning their party's nomination. This isn't always the case, however. Starting in 1952, name a politician who won either the Republican or Democratic presidential primary in New Hampshire, but who did NOT subsequently win their party's nomination later that year. (9 answers)

3) The White Mountains are a popular tourist destination for outdoors lovers in the Northeast. Although smaller than some of the mountains in the western part of the country, the White Mountains still provide plenty of challenges for hikers of all experience levels. The Appalachian Mountain Club has a list of all of the mountains in the White Mountains whose elevation is over 4000 feet and whose prominence at least is 200 feet. There are 48 mountains on this list, and "peak-bagging" is a popular hobby. Name one of the mountains on the AMC White Mountains 4000 Footer list that is named after a president. (9 answers) Be careful: there are two mountains on the list who share a name with a president, but that are not named after that president.

4) Not counting Jed Bartlet from The West Wing, only one president has been born in New Hampshire. Franklin Pierce was born in Hillsborough in 1804 and was elected as the 14th president in 1852. Despite being from New England, he was a "doughface" Southern sympathizer. He signed the Kansas-Nebraska Act, allowing settlers in new territories to decide whether to permit slavery, in effect repealing the Missouri Compromise of 1820. Diplomats in his administration (including James Buchanan) wrote the Ostend Manifesto, claiming that Spain and the US would both be served well if the US purchased Cuba from Spain - while promising the use of force if Spain was unwilling to negotiate.

Despite his name, Franklin Pierce probably did not have any body piercings. Name a celebrity who has (or had) a piercing somewhere other than their earlobe. (Several answers) For our purpose, someone is a celebrity if they (or their band) are named in a Jeopardy clue or response. You may search the archive to determine if they have been mentioned. Please keep answers safe for work!

5) Despite the state's small size, its legislature is huge. Like the US Congress, the New Hampshire General Court consists of two houses, the House of Representatives and the Senate. There are 400 members of the House of Representatives, one for every 3,300 residents of the state. Combined with the 24 members of the Senate, the New Hampshire General Court is the fourth largest legislature in the English-speaking world, behind only the UK Parliament, the Indian Parliament, and the US Congress.

Why do all of these legislators run for office? There may be many reasons, but it is unlikely that any of them do it for the money. The salary for one two-year term in both houses is only $200. Name a property in Monopoly whose purchase price is greater than $200. (11 answers)

6) During the Revolutionary War, General John Stark led militias from New Hampshire and Vermont to victory at the Battle of Bennington. Several years later in 1809, General Stark was 81 and in poor health. Unable to attend a reunion of soldiers who fought at Bennington, he wrote a letter. The letter closed with the following line: "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of all evils." "Live free or die" became the official state motto in 1945, and currently appears on state license plates (where, anectodally, it is stamped on by prisoners).

In 2007 the fourth movie in the Die Hard movie franchise was released with the title Live Free or Die Hard. Name an actor or actress who has been credited in the billing block of at least one of the five Die Hard movies. (23 answers) FYI: the billing block is the text located at the bottom of movie posters that lists some of the credits in a narrow font.

7) Robert Frost won a Pulitzer Prize in 1923 for a collection of poems entitled New Hampshire. Although he was born in San Francisco, he wrote many of his most famous poems while in New Hampshire, and the state has adopted him as their own. Below are the last lines of 13 poems by Robert Frost. Select one, and name the poem it comes from. You must give both the letter you choose, as well as the title.
Spoiler
a) "I have been one (TITLE OF THE POEM)."
b) "One could do worse than be a swinger of (TITLE OF THE POEM)."
c) "'Dead,' was all he answered."
d) "And would suffice."
e) "Such as she was, such as she would become."
f) "I had a lover's quarrel with the world."
g) "He says again, 'Good fences make good neighbors.'"
h) "So dawn goes down to day. / (TITLE OF THE POEM)."
i) "Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs."
j) "Is what to make of a diminished thing."
k) "Were not too much to pay for birth."
l) "And that has made all the difference."
m) "And miles to go before I sleep."
8) Dartmouth College was established on December 13, 1769. This "small college, and yet there are those who love it" has an alumni list that includes Nelson Rockefeller, Jeffrey Immelt, and Mindy Kaling. For small children, however, Dartmouth's most famous alumnus has to be Theodore Geisel, aka Dr. Seuss. In 2000, Publishers Weekly created a list of the bestselling children's books. 16 of the top 100 hardcover books were by Dr. Seuss, including one book that appeared on the list twice with two different versions. Name one of Dr. Seuss books that made the top 100 of the Publishers Weekly hardcover list. (15 answers)

9) The "Magic Mile" at New Hampshire Motor Speedway opened its doors in 1990. The first race in what was then known as the NASCAR Winston Cup Series took place in 1993. Since 1997, two races in what is now the Sprint Cup Series have been held per year. Name a driver who has won a NASCAR Winston/NEXTEL/Sprint Cup Series race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. (22 answers)

10) Identify one of the ten people shown below, all of whom were born in New Hampshire. You may have to open the picture in a new window to see everyone. Stage names are acceptable answers. Just the name is OK, you don't have to give the number as well.
Spoiler
(Photo Credits: 1) Wikipedia: Adam Bielawski, 3) Wikipedia: Abdoozy, 4) Wikipedia: David Seto, 5) Flickr: David Shankbone, 6) Wikipedia: Christian Jansky, 7) Flickr: Mingle MediaTV, 9) Wikipedia: Gage Skidmore)

11) The Old Man of the Mountain was a rock formation located on Cannon Mountain in the White Mountains. If viewed from the correct angle, the ledges resembled a man's face in profile. In 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote The Great Stone Face, a short story claiming the Old Man as "a work of Nature in her mood of majestic playfulness." The Old Man was made a part of the state emblem in 1945. In spite of its stature as a state symbol, the rocks that made up the mountain were still subject to the forces of erosion. Despite efforts to keep it intact, the Old Man collapsed in 2003. Today it is still found on state license plates, road signs, and drivers' licenses. It can also be found on the back of the New Hampshire State Quarter minted in 2000. Name a person, place, or landmark specifically mentioned by name on one of the state quarters (including DC). (14 answers) The person, place, or landmark must be specifically mentioned in text in a caption. The image of the person, place, or landmark by itself is not acceptable. Also, even though the name of the state itself is listed on the back of each quarter, the state itself is not a correct response.

12) New Hampshire's nickname, the Granite State, dates back to a song first performed in 1825 at a dinner honoring the Marquis de Lafayette. It is a fitting nickname, not only because of the abundant supply of granite in the state, but also because of the (alleged) nature of its citizens. Granite can be composed of several different minerals, but is defined as an igneous rock containing at least 20% quartz. Feldspar and mica are also commonly found in granite. A worldwide average of the chemical composition of granite by weight was published in a 1997 textbook, based on almost 2500 samples. Name a chemical element that can be found in granite. (11 answers)

BONUS QUESTION 1: New Hampshire's largest lake is a popular tourist destination for families during the summer months. It is also very difficult to spell. 2 bonus points if you can identify the lake and spell it correctly. 1 bonus point if you can identify the lake but you spell it incorrectly.

BONUS QUESTION 2: Before the 1946 season, the Dodgers organization signed three African-American players to contracts. One of these players was Jackie Robinson; he started the 1946 season with the Dodgers minor league affiliate in Montreal. The two other players were assigned to the Dodgers minor league affiliate in New Hampshire, making that team the first professional baseball team with an integrated lineup in the United States. Both of those players eventually had successful playing careers in the majors. One player had a record 149-90 as a pitcher over 11 seasons, and pitched 8 1/3 innings before being relieved by Ralph Branca in the Shot Heard Round the World game; the other was a position player who is a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame and has his number retired by the Dodgers organization. 2 bonus points if you can name either of the two players to integrate pro baseball in New Hampshire.

BONUS QUESTION 3: In a nationwide first, New Hamphire's governor, US Senators, and both US Representatives are all women. Name two of these five women for 1 bonus point each.
Last edited by dnbguy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Clarifications:

4) A celebrity is someone who has been named in a Jeopardy clue or response either on their own or as a member of a band. You may search the archive to determine if someone was mentioned. Please keep answers safe for work!
11) The person, place, or landmark must be specifically mentioned in text in a caption. The image of the person, place, or landmark by itself is not acceptable. Also, even though the name of the state itself is listed on the back of each quarter, the state itself is not a correct response.
Last edited by dnbguy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Entrants (40):

geolawyerman
gamawire
Fishercat
Alyssa
Mathew5000
Aardvark
immaf
Joy
periwinkle
Creed Bratton

seattlecyclone
clprez
Noon
nestegg
JeopardyMom
chalupabatman786
hscer
This is Kirk!
Kayanne
esrever

mennoknight
jjwaymee
Lilac
Magna
CoachP
econgator
Vanya
Woppy T
dott888
tjconn728

MarkBarrett
Bamaman
Peggles
Paulsaysthought
goforthetie
RandyG
debramc
soxfan99
ihavejeoprosy
cheezyguyty
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:51 am, edited 28 times in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Just FYI, I cannot see #s 4 and 8 on your pictures question.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote:Just FYI, I cannot see #s 4 and 8 on your pictures question.
I can't see most of them here, but I can see them all on my phone.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Reuploaded the picture, should be fixed now. Let me know if you still have problems!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Bamaman wrote:
I can't see most of them here, but I can see them all on my phone.
That's pretty weird, considering all the pics are embedded into a single image file.

Picture credits! I think that's a first for a TD.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I was born in New Hampshire (though I don't know half of these). I'll probably enter just for fun.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

dnbguy wrote:
Reuploaded the picture, should be fixed now. Let me know if you still have problems!
It's still getting cut off, but I found I can see the whole thing if I open it in a new tab/window.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Lived in NH for a few years-lets see if some knowledge stuck w/me!
Joy
Contributor

Post by Joy »

I'm bumping this. It's a nice quiz. Please enter it!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Re: Question #11 -- Does this mean that the state quarter must have words describing the person, place or landmark? An image alone is not acceptable?
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

jjwaymee wrote:Re: Question #11 -- Does this mean that the state quarter must have words describing the person, place or landmark? An image alone is not acceptable?
This is the correct interpretation. In order to qualify, the person, place, or landmark must specifically be referenced in a caption on the back. An image alone would not be acceptable. If you have a specific question, PM me and I can give you more guidance.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Added a few more clarifications. For question #4, a "celebrity" is someone who has been named in a Jeopardy clue or response in the J-Archive. If you have already submitted your response and don't currently have a PM from me, your answer for #4 has met this standard of celebrity. Also, for #11, your answer cannot be an entire state itself - it has to be a person/place/landmark in the state.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

re: #4. What if the celebrity is a member of a band who has been mentioned on J!?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

mennoknight wrote:re: #4. What if the celebrity is a member of a band who has been mentioned on J!?
That would also be acceptable. Running a search on a celebrity/band in the archive to determine if they have been mentioned is permissible.

We have 19 entries in so far as we approach the halfway point. Singletons are still available!
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Bumping this one more time. We are up to 25 entries!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So unless the pierced celeb (or his/her band) is in the archive, they don't count? Even if the person is well known to most people on here?
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Bamaman wrote:So unless the pierced celeb (or his/her band) is in the archive, they don't count? Even if the person is well known to most people on here?
Correct. I tested a bunch of names, and almost all of them came back with at least some hits in the archive, so I don't think this is an unreasonable burden.