Think Different 186: The Numbers All Go to Eleven

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Think Different 186: The Numbers All Go to Eleven

Post by Vermonter »

I'm about to melt your face off with 11 questions, each with 11 possible responses! Pick the least-popular choice to amplify your score (so to speak).

Total entries: 78. Final standings start here.
Spoiler
  1. MarkBarrett
  2. HeathenBenny
  3. Noon
  4. Alyssa
  5. gamawire
  6. Kayanne
  7. sarah0114
  8. hscer
  9. periwinkle
  10. d4z
  11. ElendilPickle
  12. soxfan99
  13. Lilac
  14. dhkendall
  15. nightreign
  16. immaf
  17. ArtVark
  18. Woof
  19. geolawyerman
  20. Turd Ferguson
  21. PopeT_15
  22. esrever
  23. NYCScribbler
  24. Christy
  25. econgator
  26. Rackme32
  27. Vanya
  28. LumosityFan
  29. Joy
  30. Creed Bratton
  31. Leander
  32. mitchparov
  33. nestegg
  34. jpahk
  35. seattlecyclone
  36. nserven
  37. Cat Hat
  38. Aardvark
  39. DPP
  40. TryingHarder
  41. jeffwolfe
  42. Caboom
  43. mennoknight
  44. WooWho?
  45. RandyG
  46. DadofTwins
  47. clprez
  48. Magna
  49. Mathew5000
  50. dnbguy
  51. zakharov
  52. dott888
  53. lieph82
  54. UniquePerspective
  55. Woppy T
  56. dude33
  57. Bob78164
  58. eboettch
  59. Lars
  60. This Is Kirk!
  61. Bamaman
  62. amorris525
  63. chalupabatman786
  64. Bristle
  65. gem
  66. ihavejeoprosy
  67. jjwaymee
  68. Peggles
  69. JeopardyMom
  70. Paulsaysthought
  71. tjconn728
  72. naurae29
  73. Sherm
  74. jkbrat
  75. spell4yr
  76. xxaaaxx
  77. goforthetie
  78. cheezguyty
Each is ranked in some fashion. In the spirit of making things interesting, I'll give you #12 - the one that barely missed the cut.

Because these clues are accessible, I will not offer you a PASS; instead, on any question, you can opt to take 11 points. Just indicate you've selected that option in your response.

The submission deadline is Monday, April 14 at 4:00 p.m. EDT (1:00 p.m. Pacific).

Other than that, the rules are straightforward (copied mostly from my TD 171), and I've hidden them in a spoiler box to save some space.
Spoiler
1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
  1. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
  2. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
  3. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)
3. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

4. The first tiebreaker will be the score before the bonus question, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

5. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.
Last edited by Vermonter on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

That Extra Push Over the Cliff

Post by Vermonter »

Question 1. HISTORY. (results) (standings)

Name one of the first 11 monarchs of England after the Norman invasion in 1066. For purposes of this question, I am not counting Matilda, Henry the Young King, or Louis VIII of France.

The twelfth monarch was RICHARD II (1377-1399).

Question 2. GEOGRAPHY. (results) (standings)

Name one of the 11 most-populous countries in the world as of March 31, 2014.

The twelfth most-populous country is PHILIPPINES (99,338,800).

Question 3. FILM. (results) (standings)

Name one of the 11 most-recent winners of the Academy Award for Best Picture.

The twelfth most-recent was CHICAGO (2002).

Question 4. SPORTS. (results) (standings)

Name a quarterback on the top 11 in terms of career passing yards in NFL history.

The twelfth-highest total belongs to KERRY COLLINS (40,922).

Question 5. POLITICS. (results) (standings)

Name a state in the top 11 in terms of number of Electoral Votes in the Electoral College, as of 2012.

The twelfth-highest count belongs to VIRGINIA (13 votes).

Question 6. SCIENCE. (results) (standings)

Ordered by atomic number, name one of the first 11 elements on the periodic table with a two-letter atomic symbol. Either name or symbol is acceptable.

The twelfth such element is SCANDIUM (Sc, atomic number 21).

Question 7. MUSIC. (results) (standings)

Ordered alphabetically, name one of the first 11 songs in the canon of The Beatles, as released on studio albums or on Anthology. Leading articles ("A", "An") do NOT count as part of the title for purposes of this question (so "A Hard Day's Night" won't work).

Alphabetically twelfth is ANY TIME AT ALL.

ETA: One of my original answers was not on a "studio album"; rather, it was on Anthology. "All Things Must Pass" was NOT the song in question, as it was a demo for a George Harrison song, and is not acceptable here.

Question 8. POP CULTURE. (results) (standings)

Name one of the 11 most-followed Twitter accounts for a human being as of March 31, 2014. (YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram fall inside the top 11 of all accounts, but are ineligible here.)

In twelfth is SHAKIRA (@shakira), who has 24.6 million followers.

Question 9. TRAVEL. (results) (standings)

Name one of the 11 busiest airports in the world, as measured by total passenger boardings in 2013. I will accept name, code, or city (I will prompt you if there's more than one to serve a given city).

The twelfth-busiest was FRANKFURT AIRPORT (FRA) in Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany, with 58,036,948 passengers.

HINT: the breakdown by continent is as follows: 4 in North America, 2 in Europe, 5 in Asia.

Question 10. RECENT EVENTS. (results) (standings)

Name a country that finished in the top 11 of total medal count at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

There was a five-way tie for twelfth place at 8 medals apiece, between [SOUTH] KOREA, CZECH REPUBLIC, SLOVENIA, JAPAN, and ITALY.

First bonus. Worth a reduction of 1 point. (results)

To what movie is this TD's title a reference? (Don't worry about punctuation :) )

Second bonus. Worth a reduction of ?? point(s). (results) (standings)

Give me an integer between 1 and 11 (inclusive). If you pick the least-popular choice, you will have your score reduced by that number. Unselected numbers will not count as the "least popular", so someone is guaranteed to win!

If multiple numbers "tie" as the least popular, all players involved in the tie will have their scores reduced by their choice.

For example, if you are the only person to pick 4, I will deduct 4 points from your score. If another person is the only person to pick 7, I will also deduct 7 points from his score.

Question 11. BUSINESS. (results) (final standings)

Name a company in the top 11 in terms of market capitalization of those based in the United States as of March 31, 2014. Market capitalization is the total value of the issued shares of a publicly traded company, and is often used as a proxy measure for the company's value.

In twelfth was PROTCER & GAMBLE ($218.5 billion).

EDIT HISTORY:
  1. Removed spoilers; added definition of market capitalization
  2. Clarified Beatles question: leading articles
  3. Clarified Beatles question a second time: acceptable albums
  4. Clarified what I'll accept for airports question
Last edited by Vermonter on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:38 am, edited 13 times in total.
Noon
Contributor

Re: That Extra Push Over the Cliff

Post by Noon »

Vermonter wrote: Question 11. BUSINESS.
Name a company in the top 11 in terms of market capitalization of those based in the United States as of March 31, 2014.
For those who are unsure of what "market capitalization" means, it's the price per share of a company's stock times the number of shares that have been issued. And some companies have more than one class of stock, so the price per share of each class of stock would be multiplied by the number of shares of that class that have been issued, then the dollar totals for the different classes of stock would be added together to get the market capitalization of the company.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Vermonter wrote:Click inside the spoiler for each question.
Why?
Alyssa
Contributor

Post by Alyssa »

Noon wrote:
Vermonter wrote: Question 11. BUSINESS.
Name a company in the top 11 in terms of market capitalization of those based in the United States as of March 31, 2014.
For those who are unsure of what "market capitalization" means, it's the price per share of a company's stock times the number of shares that have been issued. And some companies have more than one class of stock, so the price per share of each class of stock would be multiplied by the number of shares of that class that have been issued, then the dollar totals for the different classes of stock would be added together to get the market capitalization of the company.
Thanks, Noon! I had no idea what "market capitalization" meant.

I agree with Vanya that there was no need to put the questions into spoilers.
d4z

Post by d4z »

Alyssa wrote: Thanks, Noon! I had no idea what "market capitalization" meant.

I agree with Vanya that there was no need to put the questions into spoilers.
I also drew a blank on "market capitalization" -- so thank you, Noon, for explaining it. This TD looks very interesting and I'm going to enter it. I also see no reason for the spoilers.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Think Different 186: The Numbers All Go to Eleven

Post by Vermonter »

Thanks for the comments on spoilers - I've removed them. I thought it would make for a neater appearance, but I realize there is some work involved in clicking every question.

I also added a comment on market cap. Thanks, Noon!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

I'd like to buy an "A"

Post by Vermonter »

For the Beatles question: leading articles ("A", "An") don't count toward the title.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Another clarification for the Beatles question: unfortunately, one of the answers I had appeared only on Anthology, and not what I called a "studio album". I'm going to continue to accept it, and have reworded the question to fit.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

To clarify #9 you want the name of the airport (Mos Isley), not the name of the city (Anchorhead)?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

DadofTwins wrote:To clarify #9 you want the name of the airport (Mos Isley), not the name of the city (Anchorhead)?
I'll take either. Come to think of it, I'll even take the airport code.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Vermonter wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:To clarify #9 you want the name of the airport (Mos Isley), not the name of the city (Anchorhead)?
I'll take either.
Even in cities where there are two major airports?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

goforthetie wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
I'll take either.
Even in cities where there are two major airports?
Sorry, I clarified better in the question itself:

I will accept name, code, or city (I will prompt you if there's more than one to serve a given city).
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

I gotta say, for me the difficulty level in this TD is perfect. I know multiple answers to most questions, yet I don't know all the answers to any, so that leaves those with a deeper knowledge the advantage of having more choices, while still giving me the opportunity to strategize.
So I'll certainly participate in this one, should be fun.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

do we need to name the twitter account, or is the name of the person acceptable?
Cat Hat
Contributor

Post by Cat Hat »

There were at least 25 entries on the first day! At this rate, there might end up being 50 or more. This TD is extremely interesting to me and I plan on entering it as soon as I get my three posts approved.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jpahk wrote:do we need to name the twitter account, or is the name of the person acceptable?
Person is fine
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Vermonter wrote:
jpahk wrote:do we need to name the twitter account, or is the name of the person acceptable?
Person is fine
Assuming the person does his own tweets...
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

It's official: there's already one response for which taking the ELEVEN will do you better.
HeathenBenny
Working On The Age Requirement

Post by HeathenBenny »

This was a fun one. Pretty hard, but I think I did okay for my first TD...maybe. :oops:
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek