TD 192: Mr. Game Warden, could you tell me what season it really is?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 192: Mr. Game Warden, could you tell me what season it really is?

Post by BobF »

TD 192: Mister Game Warden, could you tell me what season it really is?

I've tried to make most of these questions accessible to the masses who are even just casual baseball fans, and I think nearly everybody can come up with at least one answer to each question.

Here are the rules:

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. eastern time Monday, May 26. (That's Memorial Day to those of you here in the USA)

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may drop one question by listing DROP instead of an answer. Not surprisingly, the DROP option gives you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also DUCK an answer, which is similar to a DROP, but you'll get half a sheep score.

6. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

7. The tiebreaker will be the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

8. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

9. Since baseball's rules did not become uniform as to what we see today until 1900, all of the questions (except the team moving question) refer to events since 1900 (of course, for question 1, entire teams did not hit 100 home runs prior to 1900, so that doesn't matter).

Good Luck!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Re: TD 192: Mr. Game Warden, could you tell me what season it really is?

Post by BobF »

Here are the questions:

1. Not one, but two home run hitters in the lineup! Name a pair of hitters on the same major league team for an entire year who combined for 100 or more home runs in a single season.

2. On the road again. Major league baseball usually frowns upon teams moving, but that wasn't always the case. The last move was done with the blessing of the other owners. Name a major league team that moved from one city to another. If they also changed names, provide the before and after names. If the team had multiple names before the move (or after) any of the correct names used will be sufficient to be marked correctly. Clarification: The Angels do not count. Although they changed their name from Los Angeles to California to Los Anaheim or whatever it is now, those changes were NOT in conjunction with any relocation. Can't say any more without giving away a potential answer to a different question.

3. Really Most Valuable Player. Name a player who has won at least two consecutive MVP awards. Co-MVPs do count.

4. Forever Cy Young. Name a player who has won at least two consecutive Cy Young awards - awarded to the league's best pitcher. For reference, this award came into being in 1956, was awarded to just one player in the major leagues until 1967 when each league started to name a player. So don't guess Walter Johnson or Cy Young.

5. No, he's not a horse. Name a player who has won the Triple Crown, as owner of the league's (AL or NL) best average, home run and RBI totals.

6. Hitting .300 is child's play. Name a player who has completed a major league season with an average of .375 or better since 1900.

7. We're better than the Yankees! Little known fact: the most successful baseball franchise was not always this way. For their first 20 years (not all of them in New York), the best they could manage was finishing 2nd in an 8 team league, and they didn't win their first world series until their 23rd season! Name a team that won a World Series in one of their first 22 seasons of existence.

8. We're better than the Yankees too! By the time the Yankees won their first World Series, several teams had won multiple World Series (counting ones since 1903). A couple had won 3 or more. Name one of the teams that won at least two World Series before the Yankees won their first in 1923.

9. Long suffering fans. My grandmother will turn 102 later this year. The first World Series during her lifetime was the 1912 World Series. She's not a baseball fan, but name a team that has not won a World Series during my grandmother's lifetime (this can include expansion teams, of course).

10. Unhittable! Name a major league pitcher who has pitched multiple no-hitters since 1900.

11. Unwatchable! Name a major league team (the season is not necessary) that has lost 105 or more games at least once in their existence since 1900.

12. Intrastate rivalries. Name a state that has, at any time since 1900, had two or more major league teams playing its regular season home games within its borders.

13. Multi-sport stars. A former NBA All Star recently made his minor league pitching debut. Name a player who has played in the NBA or NFL but also played minor league or major league baseball (I'm only counting players that actually have a player page on baseball-reference.com as my arbitrator of who has played minor league baseball).

14. The game's not until tonight, let's hit the beach! Name a major league or minor league team that currently plays its home games within 10 miles (as the crow flies) of either the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf of Mexico.

15. Name a player or manager whose number has been retired by the New York Yankees.

16. At least we don't have to travel too far. Name a season (since 1903) in which both participants of the World Series played their home games in the same city or within the same metropolitan area.

17. Combo time! As of 1960, both the American League and the National League had eight teams. Name one of the eight from EACH league. Either their current name or the name they went by at the time count and will be counted the same.

18. Roger Craig trivia. Turns out, before there was the Jeopardy! champion named Roger Craig, if you had mentioned his name, people would have thought of the baseball pitcher. He has been employed by 10 major league baseball teams: 5 as pitcher, two as manager, three as pitching coach. Name one of these teams.

19. Imagine what their career stats could have looked like! Name a major league baseball player who left his team to serve in World War II or the Korean War and resumed his career afterwards.

20. We're due for a new stadium. Name one of the 10 major league team who is playing in a stadium that was open before the Rockies and Marlins started playing in 1993.
Last edited by BobF on Wed May 21, 2014 7:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For #17, are there 64 possible answers or do we get points separately for each team we name?
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote:For #17, are there 64 possible answers or do we get points separately for each team we name?
It's unique combinations. So if I named the Blue Jays and the Mets, and they were actually a correct answer, my score would be how many people named the Blue Jays and the Mets as a combination. So, yes, 64 possible combinations.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Looking forward to putting my answers together. Two questions before I do so though:

For #2, if a team has moved multiple times in its history, is each move a separate answer, or are they lumped together for the same franchise?

For #14, do bays, harbors, inlets, etc. count as the ocean if they connect to it directly?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

For no. 8, do we need to name one of the teams that had won 3 or more Fall Classics, or just one of the teams that had won multiple titles?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I think nearly everybody can come up with at least one answer to each question.
I think you think incorrectly.
Teems with quiet fun.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Here are clarifications for questions received to date:

For #2, if a team has moved multiple times in its history, is each move a separate answer, or are they lumped together for the same franchise?

No, it's by team. So for those teams that have moved twice, you can give their current city plus either of their first two cities.

For #14, do bays, harbors, inlets, etc. count as the ocean if they connect to it directly?

It's the ocean/gulf, otherwise I'd have to count rivers. And for this question, I'm limiting it to US or Canadian teams. Independent leagues such as the Atlantic and Northern do count.

For no. 8, do we need to name one of the teams that had won 3 or more Fall Classics, or just one of the teams that had won multiple titles?

Just a team with two or more titles.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

If I respond "Yankees rule" to every question, will that affect my score? I mean, it's true.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

BobF wrote:15. Name a player or manager whose number has been retired by the New York Yankees.
Should I assume that a Yankee player or manager whose number was retired but not for him (i.e. his name does not appear on the wall) is not a correct answer to this question?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I thought this TD was going to be about hunting.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BobF wrote:For #14, do bays, harbors, inlets, etc. count as the ocean if they connect to it directly?

It's the ocean/gulf, otherwise I'd have to count rivers.
I have a feeling this could open a can of worms, but we'll see.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
BobF wrote:For #14, do bays, harbors, inlets, etc. count as the ocean if they connect to it directly?

What about a sound that is considered part of an ocean?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BobF

Post by BobF »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
BobF wrote:15. Name a player or manager whose number has been retired by the New York Yankees.
Should I assume that a Yankee player or manager whose number was retired but not for him (i.e. his name does not appear on the wall) is not a correct answer to this question?
Yes, that's a correct assumption, mister Turd.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

BobF wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
Yes, that's a correct assumption, mister Turd.
Aww... poor Graig Nettles, passed over again...
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

OOF. Can't believe I did this. Sorry, y'all.
Last edited by mitchparov on Mon May 19, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobF

Post by BobF »

mitchparov wrote:Thanks, Bob!
Mitch, you might want to delete your post, change an answer or two and then PM me your entry. Also, you're welcome.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Vanya wrote:I thought this TD was going to be about hunting.
WABBIT season!! DUCK season!! :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:

I agree. I'm sure we all know which teams are in coastal cities, but unless you have been there, it is hard to know exactly how far the stadium is from the ocean or gulf.

But otherwise, I think this is a great set of questions. Normally, I'd say 20 questions are too many for a TD, but I'd be happy if you had even more.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

#7 - do you mean in the Yankees first 22 seasons, or in the first 22 seasons any particular team was in existence? For example, could I answer the Churchill Polar Bear Jail Tenders (founded 1987) if they won the world series in 1994?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.