Thursday, July 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Thursday, July 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by chuck5982 »

Archivists wrote:J! round, with Samer.
and markrunsvold.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

chuck5982 wrote:
Archivists wrote:J! round, with Samer.
and markrunsvold.
Yes, but I've been a boardie for longer. That makes me special. :lol:

Seriously, though, the show airs at 11 CT where I live (grrr....), so I can't say too much right now, but one thing I can say without spoiling anything:

My voice sounds a lot lower on TV than it does in my head. :shock:
pres de lys
Contributor

Post by pres de lys »

Okay, I kinda laughed when Mark got the Demi Moore clue. But musical fans will be getting on his case for that DD.

I got FJ! for once, even with my mother saying "Winston Churchill", then "Prince Philip".
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Samer wrote:
Yes, but I've been a boardie for longer. That makes me special. :lol:
Samer was the second person ever to win a week of the SHC.

I keep a little internal running tote board of former SHC ATB's who have made good. Rooting for a big number tonight.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Samer wrote:Seriously, though, the show airs at 11 CT where I live (grrr....), so I can't say too much right now
Well, it *is* marked "spoilers", so anyone who ventures here before they've seen the ep, regardless of airtime, have only themselves to blame.

(So, dhkendall, what are YOU doing here an hour before airtime? Abort! Abort!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well, at least you can say you beat a TOC player and perhaps lost to one as well.

Surprised FJ was a 1/3 on the show. Fairly easy for me, but had thought FDR had already fired Papa Kennedy by then.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

First off, I'd love to hear Mark's thoughts on this episode.
Bamaman wrote:Well, at least you can say you beat a TOC player and perhaps lost to one as well.

Surprised FJ was a 1/3 on the show. Fairly easy for me, but had thought FDR had already fired Papa Kennedy by then.
As far as FJ goes, knowing Papa Kennedy was a British ambassador was either something I never learned or something I learned and forgot. And, in true Countdown style, I thought Britain, and it was game over at that point.

Also, i was amazed at how fast the game moved. I swear that for all but the daily doubles and 3 other questions (roil, Phyllis George, and Four Roses), the lights on the game board could not have been on for more than a fraction of a second.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Surprised FJ was a 1/3 on the show. Fairly easy for me, but had thought FDR had already fired Papa Kennedy by then.
I knew that Papa Kennedy was an ambassador, but figured JFK was barely 20 in 1939, so I didn't think anyone would be asking him to do anything official. I am rather surprised that you didn't come up with Wicked, Mark, especially when spotted Elphaba (apropos of nothing, compared to the musical, the book is quite bizarre). I answered Clement Attlee just for something to say.

(And just how old do you think John Major is, Samer? ;) )

Also, centipedes are not insects. That is all.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Surprised FJ was a 1/3 on the show. Fairly easy for me, but had thought FDR had already fired Papa Kennedy by then.
I knew that Papa Kennedy was an ambassador, but figured JFK was barely 20 in 1939, so I didn't think anyone would be asking him to do anything official. I am rather surprised that you didn't come up with Wicked, Mark, especially when spotted Elphaba (apropos of nothing, compared to the musical, the book is quite bizarre). I answered Clement Attlee just for something to say.

(And just how old do you think John Major is, Samer? ;) )

Haha. At least I had something.

I was hoping Mark would get the Wicked question right, as at least it might have given me a chance to win on a TS.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Brian McEntee: $26,200+$3,800=$30,000
Mark Runsvold: $7,400-$7,400=0
Samer Ismail: $6,600-$3,399=$3,201

20th Century Leaders

Time Magazine first mentioned him in 1939, when his father sent him on a diplomatic errand from London to Glasgow.
Spoiler
Who is John F. Kennedy? Samer said John Major, and Mark didn't have a guess.
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
But caterpillars are...or were you referencing something else? I didn't remember centipedes being mentioned on tonight's show.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Brian! That was an amazing performance against two great players.

Samer, you started off strong. It looked like that you may have come up with a very fast method for buzzing at the beginning. I wish that you could have kept it up. Congrats for getting on the show!

And congrats to Mark on the run, too. I am really looking forward to the next ToC. It is shaping up to be a very strong field.

I struggled with the J round but I had a good DJ round, with some wheelhouse categories.

I also blanked on FJ. I was definitely not thinking in terms of U.S. Presidents.

I am still speechless from Brian's performance. He kind of reminded me of Brian Weikle, with the way that he ran through the material. It will be fun to see if he can keep it up.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

StevenH wrote:I am still speechless from Brian's performance. He kind of reminded me of Brian Weikle, with the way that he ran through the material. It will be fun to see if he can keep it up.
FWIW, because Mark's ride was in the audience and I didn't have one, they let us stay to watch the final match, so we at least know what happens on tomorrow's match.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

That was a phenomenally well-played game between 3 outstanding contestants. Brian just caught fire on the buzzer in the middle of the DJ round, and it became clear that for one of the other two to have a chance to catch him, they would have to find the second Daily Double. Unfortunately for Mark, it showed up in what was, I imagine, one of the very few clues in the entire game on which he had absolutely no earthly idea.

Did anyone else guess Lord of the Rings, instead of the Hobbit? I saw the name Bilbo and instantly said LOTR, forgetting that he is a much more major character in the earlier work. The publishing date should have also been a big hint, as I think I knew at some point that LOTR didn't come out until the 1950s, but at that moment it didn't occur to me.

My poorly thought out guess at FJ was George VI of England, completely dismissing the notion of it being a non-Englishman. I actually thought it had a pretty reasonable chance of being right, not realizing until afterward that he had already been King for a few years by 1939. Had the date been 1919 or 1929, I may have had a better shot. Like Samer, I tried to think of some other well known British leader from later in the 20th Century, but my knowledge of Prime Ministers basically goes Chamberlain, Churchill...Thatcher, Major, so I didn't really think I had a reasonable guess from that group.

My proverbial hat goes off to Mark for 5 remarkably well played games, facing some pretty stiff competition in several of them. There hasn't been a player on this week that didn't look really strong. I am definitely looking forward to seeing Mark return for the TOC, as I enjoyed watching him play the game, and also enjoyed his personality and sense of humor in the interview portion. Did anyone else catch him wink at Alex tonight? It was very sad watching Mark's look of deflation when he realized that he had no idea on that DD, as it became clear to him that his run was history. I was hoping he would get that one right, not necessarily because I was rooting for him, just because it would have made for an intense finish to the game, as Brian and Mark would have likely battled until the final clue for the lead, and most likely all 3 players would have been alive heading to FJ, with the possibility of a monster payday for one of them.

Congratulations to Samer for making it to the show, and that was some unfortunate luck running into two opponents of that caliber.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

That was one awesome game to watch - though it may have made me lose my voice again (tonsillitis sucks, fyi). I was surprised that FJ was a sole get - I got it almost instantly, though my husband, who's almost more of a history geek than I am, said he didn't think he would have come up with it in time.

I was willing Mark to come up with 'Wicked' (great musical - but I agree, the book is darker). After he missed it, and he got a number of the last clues right, I felt so bad - he looked so bummed. I think all three players tonight could have been multi-game winners if not up against each other. (I mean, Mark already is, of course. My phrasing of it needs improvement. Basically, I could see Brian winning more, and Samer, too, had he not drawn Mark and Brian as opponents.)

But wow. What a game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:But caterpillars are...or were you referencing something else? I didn't remember centipedes being mentioned on tonight's show.
Hmmmmm ... I thought it asked about centipedes, but maybe not. I've already wiped it from my DVR.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Whoa. Did not see that one coming. Well, I guess if both Samer and Mark had to lose, at least it was to a local. We'll have to rope Brian into our next DC Boardies meeting. A very well played match, and sorry to see both Mark and Samer go down. Samer, was it fun to say TDD? While I wouldn't call FJ an instaget, I had it before Alex had finished reading the clue.

Great run, Mark, and enjoy the money. Have we retired from waiting tables? BTW, if you're interested in the Foreign Service, you should talk to Liz Murphy; she's a Statie.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:But caterpillars are...or were you referencing something else? I didn't remember centipedes being mentioned on tonight's show.
Hmmmmm ... I thought it asked about centipedes, but maybe not. I've already wiped it from my DVR.
It was asking about the equipment manufacturer.
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

alietr wrote:Samer, was it fun to say TDD?
Hell yes. :lol: