TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

Post by tjconn728 »

Hello and welcome to Think Different 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge. This game will have essentially the same format as TD 175: Identification, Please. That game seemed to be a popular one, so I figured I'd press my luck and try another version. If you didn't play that one (or need a reminder), the rules are below. Most are pretty typical, but I'd advise to pay attention to the rules in bold.
Spoiler
1. This quiz is composed of 15 questions. Each question is a set of 12 items lettered A-L. You must choose one item to identify.
-Please specify which item (A-L) you are identifying. If you have a correct answer, but fail to identify which letter you are responding to, your answer will be marked as wrong.
-Double check to make sure you are responding to the right item. There were a number of responses last time that were incorrect because the player typed the wrong letter he/she was responding to.

2. Some questions have bonus questions. If you DROP a question, you are not eligible for the bonus, but other than this rules for each bonus differ, so please read the instructions for each carefully.

3. A correct answer scores the number of people (including yourself) who gave that answer.

4. An incorrect answer scores the number of people who gave the most popular answer (the sheep) +5.

5. Your total score will be the sum of the scores of each question. Lowest score wins.

6. You may choose to DROP one question, for which you will receive a score of "0." If you do not use your drop, I will subtract 5 from your total score.

7. Ties will broken in the following order:
a. Number of correct answers
b. Number of singletons
c. Order of entry
There was a three-way tie for first last time, so these may well come into play!

8. As usual, you may do no outside research prior to submitting your answers.

9. As usual, you should send me your answers in a PM. Do not post your answers in this thread.

10. If you have any questions, you may post them here or send me a PM, depending on whether you think your question will give something away to other players.

11. Deadline for submission is July 14 at 3 PM EDT. You may change any or all answers up until this deadline (providing that you have not looked up any information that leads you to a new answer) but the time of the latest change will be used for the tiebreaker. I will accept entries after the official close until scoring begins, but I am unfortunately unemployed these days, so I will probably start scoring soon after the posted deadline, and therefore I'd advise not to be late!

12. Have fun!
Last edited by tjconn728 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjconn728

Re: TD 199: ID 2: Merkel's Revenge

Post by tjconn728 »

To the questions!

Question 1. The first time I ran this game, Angela Merkel was a huge sheep, being chosen by 23 of 59 players for one question. Since you all seem to be such experts on Germany, I figured I'd start with a simple question. Identify the English translation of one of the following German nouns:

A. Hund
B. Bier
C. Wurst
D. Buch
E. Baum
F. Fenster
G. Schwester
H. Krankenhaus
I. Frage
J. Flugzeug
K. Zeit
L. Schaf

Question 2. One of my favorite summer activities is heading down the street to Camden Yards, grabbing Boog's BBQ and a Natty Boh, and watching the Orioles. Since it is the peak of baseball season right now, hopefully you've caught a few games on TV or in person and can identify what team plays its home games in one of the following stadiums:
Spoiler
Question 3. Identify what state the following military installations are located in:

A. Fort Hood
B. Naval Station Great Lakes
C. Aberdeen Proving Ground
D. Nellis Air Force Base
E. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
F. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune
G. Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
H. Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson
I. Naval Submarine Base New London
J. Offutt Air Force Base
K. Naval Base Kitsap
L. Keesler Air Force Base

Question 4. Identify the artist who painted each of the following works of art:
Spoiler
BONUS: I will deduct two points off of your score if you can correctly identify the city in which the original version of the artwork is generally kept, disregarding any loans, travelling exhibits, or restoration work that may currently have it in a different location. In the case of one painting that was stolen and never recovered, name its last known location. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must provide a correct answer to the main question to receive this bonus.

BONUS 2: For an additional two points off your score, identify the letter of the painting that was stolen in 1990 and has yet to be recovered. As with all thievery, this question has a risk/reward factor, as an incorrect answer will ADD two points to your score, regardless of whether you got the main question right or not.[/spoiler]

Question 5. Identify the month of the year when each of the following events take place annually:

a. Running of the Bulls in Pamplona
b. Boston Marathon
c. Sundance Film Festival
d. Guy Fawkes Night
e. Kentucky Derby
f. Daytona 500
g. End of Texas State Fair
h. Nobel Prizes Award Ceremony
i. South by Southwest Festival
j. PGA Championship
k. Summer solstice in northern hemisphere
l. Beginning of Munich's Oktoberfest

Question 6. Identify the song released in the 1990's that contains the following lyric:

a. I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make me cry
b. Tell me do you think it'd be alright, if I could just crash here tonight
c. My loneliness is killing me, I must confess I still believe
d. I found it hard, it's hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind
e. And it's all your fault, I screen my phone calls
f. A lonely mother gazing out of the window, staring at her son that she just can't touch
g. Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's comin' to get me
h. If we couldn't see the sun risin' off the shore of Thailand, would you ride then, if it wasn't droppin?
i. I am still living with your ghost, lonely and dreaming of the west coast
j. It all keeps adding up, I think I'm cracking up. Am I just paranoid? Or am I stoned?
k. It's the way you love me, it's a feeling like this, it's centrifugal motion, it's perpetual bliss
l. Every night in my dreams, I see you, I feel you, that is how I know you, go on

BONUS: I will deduct one point off of your score for each of the three songs that hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 charts that you can identify, but I will add one point to your score for each song that you misidentify as a #1 hit. I only need the letter of the #1 song, and not the full title. You can make between 0 and 3 guesses for this bonus, and do not need to get the main question correct.

Question 7. Identify the landmark United States Supreme Court case whose significance is summarized on Wikipedia as follows. All answers should be in the form of "Plaintiff v. Defendant."

a. Section 13 of the Judiciary Act of 1789 is unconstitutional because it attempts to expand the original jurisdiction of the Supreme Court beyond that permitted by the Constitution. Congress cannot pass laws that contradict the Constitution.
b. People of African descent that are slaves or were slaves and subsequently freed, along with their descendants, cannot be United States citizens. Consequently, they cannot sue in federal court. Also, slavery cannot be outlawed in the western territories before they access statehood.
c. Local governments may seize property for economic development purposes
d. Police must advise criminal suspects of their rights under the Constitution to remain silent, to consult with a lawyer, and to have one appointed to them if they are indigent. A police interrogation must stop if the suspect states that he or she wishes to remain silent.
e. A law criminalizing adults who engage in consensual same-sex sexual conduct furthers no legitimate state interest and violates their right to privacy under the Fourteenth Amendment's Due Process Clause. This decision effectively nullifies all sodomy laws in the United States.
f. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act's expansion of Medicaid is unconstitutional as-written—it is unduly coercive to force the states to choose between participating in the expansion or forgoing all Medicaid funds. In addition, the individual health insurance mandate is constitutional by virtue of the Taxing and Spending Clause (though not by the Commerce Clause or the Necessary and Proper Clause).
g. Government-directed prayer in public schools, even if it is denominationally neutral and non-mandatory, violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.
h. Segregated schools in the states are unconstitutional because they violate the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court found that the separate but equal doctrine adopted in Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) "has no place in the field of public education."
i. The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for self-defense is fully applicable to the states through the Fourteenth Amendment.
j. Limits on corporate and union political expenditures during an election cycle violate the First Amendment. Corporations and labor unions can spend unlimited sums in support of or in opposition to candidates, as long as the spending is independent of the candidates.
k. A law that criminalizes the use of contraception by married couples is unconstitutional because all Americans have a constitutionally protected right to privacy.
l. The arbitrary and inconsistent imposition of the death penalty violates the Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments and constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. This decision initiates a nationwide de facto moratorium on executions that lasts until the Supreme Court's decision in Gregg v. Georgia (1976).

BONUS: I will deduct two points off of your score if you can correctly identify the sitting Chief Justice presiding over your chosen case. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must get the main question correct to be eligible for the bonus.

Question 8. Each set of blue colored states in the United States map below have something in common. Identify one of these commonalities.

Hint: None of the correct answers are simply "the 10 smallest/most obese/richest/etc. states." Some maps could be answered in such a way, but I am looking for a threshold that they all cross. For example, if I had a map that highlighted Alaska, Texas, California, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado, I would be looking not for the "largest states," but rather "states that are larger than 100,000 square miles." In actuality, there are none that have such a random threshold though. I think this will make more sense if you recognize what the map is showing.

Note: In the event that there is a correct answer other than the one I intended, all correct answers for each letter will be grouped and scored together.
Spoiler
Question 9. Identify the television show that takes/took place in one of the fictional cities or towns below:

a. Pawnee, Indiana
b. Pine Valley, Pennsylvania
c. Arlen, Texas
d. Lanford, Illinois
e. Quahog, Rhode Island
f. Bon Temps, Louisiana
g. Cabot Cove, Maine
h. Point Place, Wisconsin
i. Sunnydale, California
j. Cicely, Alaska
k. Stars Hollow, Connecticut
l. Mayberry, North Carolina

Question 10. Identify a country outline illustrated below:
Spoiler
Question 11. Identify a piece of literature with one of the following closing lines:

a. There was the hum of bees, and the musky odor of pinks filled the air.
b. Give me your hands, if we be friends, And Robin shall restore amends.
c. Tomorrow, I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day.
d. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
e. Katniss, there is no District Twelve.
f. But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me and I can't stand it. I been there before.
g. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
h. Whatever we had missed, we possessed together the precious, the incommunicable past.
i. Oh, my girls, however long you may live, I never can wish you a greater happiness than this!
j. The Martians stared back up at them for a long, long silent time from the rippling water.
k. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.
l. Then starting home, he walked toward the trees, and under them, leaving behind him the big sky, the whisper of wind voices in the wind-bent wheat.

Question 12. They may not be as cute as the dogs I had in my last TD, but hopefully you can identify one of the bird species in the image below.

Note: each of the 12 species is of the form "adjective type" as in "Antarctic flamingo." I only need the "type" of bird. In the example given, "flamingo" would be a sufficient answer.
Spoiler
BONUS: I will deduct one point off of your score if you can correctly name the adjective for your chosen answer. So in the example above, "Antarctic flamingo" would score one point lower than "flamingo." There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must get the main question correct to be eligible for the bonus.

BONUS 2: Each of the birds in the image is also the state bird for one or more states. For an additional two points off your score, identify a state where your chosen bird is the official state bird. Beware that an incorrect answer will ADD two points to your score, regardless of whether you got the main question right or not.

Question 13. Many movies and songs share titles. Sometimes these titles are related, sometimes they are not. Identify both the director AND the artist (either singer or band, as appropriate) of the following movies/songs:

a. St. Elmo's Fire
b. Skyfall
c. Stand by Me
d. Pretty Woman
e. Bad Boys
f. Boyz n the Hood
g. Breakfast at Tiffany's
h. E.T.
i. Ghostbusters
j. Vertigo
k. Viva Las Vegas
l. Wild Wild West

Note: In the event that there are two or more songs/movies with these titles, I will score all correct answers for each letter together, so no need to go obscure.

Question 14. As you may have noticed, the World Cup began a month ago and will be finishing up soon. Hopefully you caught some of the games, as that should help you with this next question. Identify the country who's team wore one of the following home uniforms during the 2014 FIFA World Cup:

BONUS: I will deduct two points off of your score if you can correctly name the group (A-H) and place (1-4) of your team after the group stage. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must get the main question correct to be eligible for the bonus.
Spoiler
15. As you may be aware, this quiz is not the only sequel out there. In fact many movies these days also have sequels. Identify the movie franchise by the subtitle of its sequel listed below:

a. Their First Assignment
b. Rise of an Empire
c. Legacy
d. Prince Caspian
e. The Streets
f. Havana Nights
g. The Smell of Fear
h. Book of Secrets
i. Freddy's Revenge
j. The Two Towers
k. The Winter Soldier
l. Judgment Day
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Question 6: If you choose to answer the bonus, I don't need the titles of the #1 songs, just the letter that identifies it.

Question 7: For the name of the case, all answers should be in the form of "plaintiff v. defendant."

Question 8: I made one change to Map J about half an hour after it was first posted, thanks to a player catch. If you only looked at it in that time frame, take another look.

Question 13: If the song artist is a band rather than an individual singer, I need the name of the band, not the name of the actual singer.

Question 15: It is not necessary to provide the subtitle of the name of the first movie in the franchise, if one exists. I only need the name of the franchise as a whole.
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Participants (edited to reflect the cheating scandal of August 2014)

1. CheezeWhiz
2. MarkBarrett
3. gamawire
4. Bamaman
5. Peggles
6. Mathew5000
7. mennoknight
8. immaf
9. skullturf
10. ElendilPickle
11. Vanya
12. hscer
13. Christy
14. soxfan99
15. Fishercat
16. nserven
17. Aardvark
18. Kingrat47
19. dott888
20. jjwaymee
21. esrever
22. jepkid97
23. Bristle
24. Magna
25. Leander
26. Binky
27. dnbguy
28. geolawyerman
29. econgator
30. Cat Hat
31. Peachbox
32. sillymonkey
33. d4z
34. JoshuaRQI
35. debramc
36. Vermonter
37. whatisbishkek
38. sarah0114
39. Woppy T
40. goforthetie
41. A drop of golden sun
42. ihavejeoprosy
43. TheyCallMeMrKid
44. barandall800
45. CoachP
46. xxaaaxx
47. eboettch
Last edited by tjconn728 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 am, edited 10 times in total.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Questions are posted! Have at it!
Leander

Post by Leander »

For a lot of the photos, I am seeing A through K, then a column of cut off photos. Are there more than A-K? I am viewing this on an Ipad.

Are all of the answers to question 11 from novels? One seems to be from a play, but I guess it's possible it was used in a novel.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Is #1 actually a trick question because none of the German nouns are capitalized? :P
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Question #7: Do we need to know the exact name of the case? Or just enough to distinguish which case it was?

Question #8: Just to be sure, you're talking about the states colored in blue? (As opposed to those colored in white.)

Question #15: Are you looking for the umbrella name of the franchise, or do you need the first movie of the series?
Teems with quiet fun.
BobF

Post by BobF »

tjconn728 wrote:To the questions!

Question 6. Identify the song released in the 1990's that contains the following lyric:

a. I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make me cry
Holy crap! I didn't realize those were the actual words to that song, I always kind of sung it that way as a goof.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Leander wrote:For a lot of the photos, I am seeing A through K, then a column of cut off photos. Are there more than A-K? I am viewing this on an Ipad.

Are all of the answers to question 11 from novels? One seems to be from a play, but I guess it's possible it was used in a novel.
That first issue is odd. There are A-L for each, so it sounds like you are missing just the last photo. But everything is arranged in either a 3x4 or a 4x3 grid, so it is very odd to be missing just the last one. Just one more reasons why I don't like Apple or tablets. ;)

Good catch, I'll change the wording for #11.
hscer wrote:Is #1 actually a trick question because none of the German nouns are capitalized? :P
I had no idea German nouns were capitalized. I already learned something new.
immaf wrote:Question #7: Do we need to know the exact name of the case? Or just enough to distinguish which case it was?

Question #8: Just to be sure, you're talking about the states colored in blue? (As opposed to those colored in white.)

Question #15: Are you looking for the umbrella name of the franchise, or do you need the first movie of the series?
I have added a clarification in the question, but I need a plaintiff and a defendant.

Yes, the blue ones.

In most cases, these are the same, but for the few that aren't, I am looking for the umbrella name of the franchise. I don't need any subtitles for the first film.
Last edited by tjconn728 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Well, I know where I'll be using my drop.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

tjconn728 wrote:15. As you may be aware, this quiz is not the only sequel out there. In fact many movies these days also have sequels. Identify the movie franchise by the subtitle of its sequel listed below:

. . .
k. The Winter Solider
l. Judgement Day
As opposed to "The Summer Liquider"? And perhaps the middle letter of the J-word should be excised? :)

Rex
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Do we have to submit our answers all at once (lump sum)?
Or can we send in one or two questions at a time?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:Well, I know where I'll be using my drop.
I can guess which one as I only recognized one of them.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Rex Kramer wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:15. As you may be aware, this quiz is not the only sequel out there. In fact many movies these days also have sequels. Identify the movie franchise by the subtitle of its sequel listed below:

. . .
k. The Winter Solider
l. Judgement Day
As opposed to "The Summer Liquider"? And perhaps the middle letter of the J-word should be excised? :)

Rex
Clearly I was getting tired by the end of posting.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Category 13 wrote:Do we have to submit our answers all at once (lump sum)?
Or can we send in one or two questions at a time?

It would be easier for me if you could send them all at once. There is an option to save your PM drafts if that helps. I always use that when I play TD's, draft a set of answers and then revisit it during the week.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

tjconn728 wrote: BONUS: I will deduct one two points off of your score if you can correctly name the group (A-H) and place (1-4) of your team after the group stage. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must get the main question correct to be eligible for the bonus.
One or two? And if the latter, is it all or nothing, or do you get half credit if you know the group but not the place?
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

goforthetie wrote:
tjconn728 wrote: BONUS: I will deduct one two points off of your score if you can correctly name the group (A-H) and place (1-4) of your team after the group stage. There is no penalty for a wrong answer, but you must get the main question correct to be eligible for the bonus.
One or two? And if the latter, is it all or nothing, or do you get half credit if you know the group but not the place?
Well that was a pretty dumb typo, although I'm surprised no one else had caught it yet. But to answer your question, it's a two-point bonus (I've already corrected the wording in the question) and it is all or nothing: you must know both the group and the place.
Aardvark
Contributor

Post by Aardvark »

Bonus for Question #6. You wrote: "I will deduct one point off of your score for each of the three songs that hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 charts that you can identify." Do you want the titles of the three songs, or just the letters?
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Aardvark wrote:Bonus for Question #6. You wrote: "I will deduct one point off of your score for each of the three songs that hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 charts that you can identify." Do you want the titles of the three songs, or just the letters?
Just the letters is fine, and is fact preferable as that's how I have it set up to identify the correct responses in Excel. I'll clarify above as well.