TD 200: Lost (the TV series) Redux

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

TD 200: Lost (the TV series) Redux

Post by Magna »

Announcing TD 200:

Lost (the TV series) Redux!

Whether you were a fan of the series or never watched an episode, the game format will allow you to take part and end up with a respectable score. Rules and questions will be posted later today, and entries will be open as soon as they go up.

Before we dive in, there's just one more thing: Spoiler alert! If you didn't finish watching the series, or didn't watch it at all, but still plan to do that some day, this quiz and all the posts in this thread will be a spoiler for the whole series. But then again, some people found the mysteries confusing and distracting, and preferred to watch the series knowing basically what was going on and what was going to happen. (I was one of those people.) So caveat emptor, and let the games begin!
Last edited by Magna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: TD 200 Lost (the TV series) Redux

Post by Magna »

The Rules

This “Think Different” game deals with the TV show Lost, which aired from 2004 to 2010. As always, the object is to attain the lowest possible score by giving correct answers given by the fewest other players. Do not post your answers in this thread! Instead, send them to me by PM.

Not a Lost junkie, you say? No problem! Instead of the usual “drop” and “sheep” options, I’ve provided you the answer I’ve predicted would be the most popular. You can always “push the button” to opt for this answer, which gives you a score equal to 1/3 the number of players in the game (rounded). To do this, just answer “Push the button” (or, if you give the same answer I did, it will automatically be counted the same way.) You can use this option as many times as you wish.

Wrong answers score double the “Push the Button” score for that question, but wrong answers to bonus questions don’t count against you.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the number of singletons, then the number of correct bonus answers, then order of entry.

The deadline for entries is 3:00 p.m. Pacific time on July 21. If I start posting answers/results later than that, any entries that come in ahead of posting will be eligible. As always, no outside research is allowed, but if you should stumble on information, it’s fair to use that.

Be sure to check the “Clarifications” section below, since the clarifications may affect your answers. I may also clarify or change the rules if I need to. Feel free to ask for clarifications. But unless you’re sure your question won’t give away answers, steer contestants away from negbait, etc. send it to me in an IM rather than posting below.

You can change any answers you want to, up until the deadline for entries for any reason. Entry order will be unaffected, unless you change a majority of your answers, in which case your entry order will be bumped back to the time you sent in your last change.

Please check your inbox for confirmation that your answers have been received. I might need to ask you to BMS or to clarify your answer.
Because this was such a bizarre show, there are bound to be disagreements about what happened, what was real vs what was a fantasy, etc. If you can make a case for your answer, I’ll consider it. (And if your answer is doubtful, please include the explanation with your answers.) But otherwise, the final authority will be the website lostpedia.wikia.com.
Last edited by Magna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The Questions
"Push the button" responses are provided in the spoilers following each question, in case you'd like to challenge yourself a bit more. There's no penalty for looking at them, though.

Note: if there are multiple lettered answer choices, you must tell me which one you’re answering, by giving both the letter and your answer. Please identify answers to bonus questions by writing “bonus”. For example, for question 2 if you thought A was Frodo Baggins and was played by Ian Holm, you’d write:
2. A – Frodo. Bonus: Holm

=======================
1. Let’s start off with an easy one. Lost ran for six seasons. Name a human character with a credited, on-screen appearance in at least one episode in all six seasons. Hint: there are 13 at least 14 possible answers. Of the characters shown in question 2, two three are correct answers to this question (and Charlie isn't one of them).
Spoiler
Push the Button: Jack
2. The show also featured lots and lots of recurring secondary or temporary characters, many of whom made a big impression while they lasted. Name one of the characters shown here (first name is OK). For a -1 bonus, name the actor or actress who portrayed the character you named.

For a larger image, click here.
Spoiler
Push the button: A - Charlie
3. All of the DHARMA Initiative stations mentioned on the show have a Dharma Initiative logo, and a name in the form “The ___.” Name one of those stations.
Spoiler
Push the button: The Swan
4. A number of different aircraft and seagoing vessels brought people to the island. Specifically identify one of the aircraft, or one of the named seacraft. (The aircraft need not have a name, but the seacraft must have one – just “the raft” or “outrigger canoe,” for example, isn’t enough.)
Spoiler
Push the button: Oceanic flight 815’s jet
5. Several characters on the island have the surname of a famous scientist, philosopher, or theologian as one of their names (and several share other names too). Name one of them. Fake or assumed names are OK.
Spoiler
Push the button: John Locke
6. And speaking of names, identify someone who used any one of these pseudonyms or false identities. Give the letter first, then your answer. Not all pseudonyms for each character are listed.
  • A. Dr. Marvin Candle, Dr. Mark Wickmund, Dr. Edgar Halliwax
    B. Henry Gale, Dean Moriarty
    C. LaFleur
    D. Kate Ryan, Katharine Dodd, Joan Hart
    E. Kevin Johnson
    F. Keith Johnson
    G. Dahlia Choi
    H. John Locke, Christian Shepherd
    I. Jeremy Bentham
    J. Tom Sawyer, Adam Seward
    K. Oduduwa Ulu
Spoiler
Push the Button: H – Man in Black
7. The island’s powers miraculously kept most people healthy – but didn’t save them from bizarre deaths. Name character who died (on or off the island) in any of the following ways. (Some letters have more than one character as an answer. Pay attention to any pronouns in the clue.)
  • A. Fell down a hole, then detonated an atomic warhead by pounding on it with a rock
    B. Accidentally blew himself up with very old, unstable dynamite
    C. Was stabbed, then fell into a fire where he burned up almost immediately, then apparently came back to life until he burned his own ashes in a campfire
    D. Deliberately took a bomb blast to save his friends
    E. Hit by a meteor
    F. Was shot with a speargun, then swam underwater and blew himself up with a hand grenade
    G. After surviving the initial plane crash, died when a second plane he was in fell off a cliff
    H. Paralyzed by a spider bite, then mistakenly buried alive
    I. Rescued from hanging, only to be strangled by his rescuer a few moments later
    J. Sucked into a jet engine
    K. Immediately after complaining about having no fire, he was shot in the chest by a flaming arrow
    L. Was picked up, thrown around, and smashed by the smoke monster
Spoiler
Push the button: L - Mr. Eko
8. But it wasn't all violence - there was a lot of smooching too. Name a couple who had an on-screen kiss on the island.
Spoiler
Push the button: Jin and Sun
9. OK, you know what comes after all that lovey-dovey stuff. Name a baby born to any character during the time periods covered by the show. Both the baby and parent must be named characters and both must appear on screen while the baby is still an infant.
Spoiler
Push the button: Aaron
10. The show had a tremendous number of villains and antagonists. Some were just deeply flawed and not always harmful, some were just scary or dangerous, while others were downright evil. Name one of the villains shown here. Image

Spoiler
Push the button: A – Ben
11. “The numbers” (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42) kept appearing throughout the series. Name one place they were written, appeared, or were said, used, or heard.
Spoiler
Push the button: Hurley’s lottery ticket
12. Identify one of these buildings or objects, either by name or by its significance in the show. For example, if you were identifying a picture of a lottery ticket, it wouldn’t be enough to say “a lottery ticket” – you’d have to say “Hurley’s winning lottery ticket” (or something similar). Image

Spoiler
Push the Button: B – Virgin Mary statue used to smuggle heroin
13. In the finale, Jack enters a church where he sees many people he knew. Other than Jack himself, name one of the people inside the church.
Spoiler
Push the button: Kate
14. In 2005, Lost won a Prime Time Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series. Name one of the producers credited for that win.
Spoiler
Push the button: J. J. Abrams
Final bonus 1 : In 2010, an epilogue “The New Man in Charge” was released, featuring only four main characters from the show. For a bonus of -2 each, name as many of those four as you can. (Up to four guesses allowed.)

Final bonus 2: In separately released material, DHARMA was revealed to be an acronym. What does it stand for? (-3 points for a fully correct answer, -1 point for getting at least one word correct)
Last edited by Magna on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Clarifications and explanations. Read this section regularly – it may be updated until the deadline for entries closes.

Named characters include the Man in Black, and any character credited with at least a first name. They can be humans, animals, or other creatures, unless the question specifies otherwise. When identifying characters, first names or commonly-used nicknames ( like Sawyer or Hurley) are fine. When identifying real people, last names only are fine.

Later in the series, we saw an alternate reality where the plane didn’t crash (sometimes called a “flash sideways”). For purposes of these questions, treat that alternate reality as not being real. For example, if someone died in the main story but didn’t die in the flash sideways, they count as dead. But for purposes of whether someone appeared on-screen, any appearance counts – even in a flash sideways, hallucination, flashback, etc.

This additional clarification was given in one of the posts below, in response to a question: The show's main timeline is the one where people survived the Oceanic flight 815 crash on the island. All events shown on screen leading up to that event, and following that event (until just before the church scene) are part of the main timeline. From the point of view of someone living in that reality, the "flash sideways" events, in an alternate timeline where the plane didn't crash, aren't real - they're some kind of alternate reality, and those don't count as part of the show's "main timeline." (I realize there was a lot of speculation by fans about whether the plane really crashed, leaving survivors, or whether this was all some kind of hallucination/purgatory/hell/allegory/etc., but for purposes of this TD, assume that it did.)

The questions refer to events as shown in the regular episodes on the series DVDs, not counting commentary, deleted scenes, special features, etc.

Question 1. The authority for this question will be the Wikipedia page “List of Lost characters.”

Question 2. You're still eligible the bonus even if you miss the the main question.

Question 4. For aircraft, the answer must be specific enough that it’s clear you know which one it was. For example, “Oceanic flight 815’s jet” is specific enough, but “jet” or “airplane” wouldn’t be. For seacraft, the answer will be the name of the vessel. For example, if the HMS Bounty brought people to the island, you could say “HMS Bounty” or just “Bounty.”

Question 5. If you decide to answer with one of the fake names, just give me that name, not the real name of the character who used it. In other words, if the character Albert Einstein used the fake name Søren Kierkegaard, you could answer either "Albert Einstein" or "Søren Kierkegaard" and both would be different correct answers. The name has to be the scientist's/philosopher's/etc. surname, but can be the first, middle, or last name of the Lost character. The character must come to the island at some point (but can have used the name at any time, on or off the island). “Famous” means the person has his own Wikipedia page discussing his philosophy, scientific work, etc.

Question 6. If two or more characters died in the same bizarre way, each character will count as a separate correct answer. For example, suppose Jed and Jethro were both killed by a falling meteor (choice E). If five people said Jed and you said Jethro, you’d be credited with a singleton.

Question 9. Births that happened only during the “flash sideways” don’t count. So, a child born only during a “flash sideways” (but not in the main timeline) won’t be a correct answer. But any on-screen appearance, even during a “flash sideways,” counts.

Question 11. This question refers to the full series of numbers (4, 8, 15,16, 23, 42), not some other combination, the result of some mathematical manipulation of these numbers, or a few but not all of the numbers. All (in my judgment) equivalent or similar answers will be grouped together. For example, “on Hurley’s lottery ticket” will be treated the same as “winning numbers in the Mega Lotto Jackpot” or “numbers Hurley used to play the lottery” will all be the same.

Question 12. Some made-up examples that are specific enough: Jack’s beer can collection, the top hat Hurley wore to the prom, the Man in Black’s castle, the time-traveling phone booth. Made-up examples that aren’t specific enough: a survivor's hut, a hospital room, someone's life jacket, wallet full of money.
Last edited by Magna on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Entrants

Cat Hat
ElendilPickle
immaf
ihavejeoprosy
Bamaman
BobF
katiedidwhat
Woppy T
Matthew5000
Leander
Turd Ferguson
gamawire
xxaaaxx
econgator
sarah0114
jepkid97
Joy
MarkBarrett
UniquePerspective
TheyCallMeMrKid
mitchparov
jeff6286
Last edited by Magna on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dude!

ETA I don't know how I'll do, but this is my favorite TD so far. I loved this show!
Last edited by ElendilPickle on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Questions posted! Have at it!
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 200: Lost (the TV series) Redux

Post by Leander »

Having watched every single episode of this show, I can't believe how much I've forgotten :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:Having watched every single episode of this show, I can't believe how much I've forgotten :(
Ditto. I'm going to be hammering that button.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Magna wrote:The Rules

Not a Lost junkie, you say? No problem! Instead of the usual “drop” and “sheep” options, I’ve provided you the answer I’ve predicted would be the most popular. You can always “push the button” to opt for this answer, which gives you a score equal to 1/3 the number of players in the game (rounded). To do this, just answer “Push the button” (or, if you give the same answer I did, it will automatically be counted the same way.) You can use this option as many times as you wish.

Wrong answers score double the “Push the Button” score for that question, but wrong answers to bonus questions don’t count against you.
That seems like it might be a really harsh penalty for wrong answers. Maybe it won't be nearly this many, but say you get 45 entrants, that means a wrong answer will be worth 30? And if the top several answers are spread out, say 8, 7, and 6 people pick the top 3, you're still going to give 15 to people that pushed the button?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jeff6286 wrote:
That seems like it might be a really harsh penalty for wrong answers. Maybe it won't be nearly this many, but say you get 45 entrants, that means a wrong answer will be worth 30? And if the top several answers are spread out, say 8, 7, and 6 people pick the top 3, you're still going to give 15 to people that pushed the button?
It is a harsh penalty, but bearing in mind that everyone has been handed a free correct answer, I don't think it's too harsh. Also, it's not necessarily harsher than the usual "double the sheep score" penalty.

By the way, I'm not going to be posting a list of entrants or commenting on the number of entrants until the deadline is passed. That puts everyone on a level playing field as far as guessing what the "Push the Button" score will be. That being said, before I created this TD, I wasn't expecting a huge number of entrants, because not everyone watched (or liked) the show. If it turns out I was right about that, this will be a cozy TD and the "Push the button" score won't be all that high.
Last edited by Magna on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

ElendilPickle wrote:Dude!

ETA I don't know how I'll do, but this is my favorite TD so far. I loved this show!
To quote Nick Cage, that's high praise! :)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:Having watched every single episode of this show, I can't believe how much I've forgotten :(
Ditto. I'm going to be hammering that button.
Same here. Saw every episode. If only I had a way to travel back in time to take some notes. Well...
Sheepin' it real.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I realized question 5 was ambiguous, and revised it, as well as the explanation.

Also, to answer a question someone sent me, it doesn't matter whether you give "Push the button" as your response, or the answer designated as the "Push the button" answer. Either way, you'll get the "Push the Button" score. So for example on question 1, the "Push the Button" answer is "Jack." If you type "Push the button" or "Jack" you'll get the same score either way.

Someone also asked about whether the Virgin Mary statue was correctly depicted. The photo does show a statue from the show, which is identified as a statue of the Virgin Mary. I'm not familiar with Catholic iconography, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they got it wrong. For a show with so many religious themes woven into it, the writers' religious knowledge was surprisingly thin.

Notice: In the lead-up to the deadline, I may post bonus questions. So stay tuned.
immaf

Post by immaf »

Someone also asked about whether the Virgin Mary statue was correctly depicted. The photo does show a statue from the show, which is identified as a statue of the Virgin Mary. I'm not familiar with Catholic iconography, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they got it wrong. For a show with so many religious themes woven into it, the writers' religious knowledge was surprisingly thin.
The questioner in question was me. And Googling shows that it is *my* knowledge that is thin.
Teems with quiet fun.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I'll have to pass on this TD. I watched Lost for a couple of seasons, but then it got too weird for me. I remember a few of the major characters, but that's about all. I would be pushing the button for almost every question.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Peggles wrote:I'll have to pass on this TD. I watched Lost for a couple of seasons, but then it got too weird for me. I remember a few of the major characters, but that's about all. I would be pushing the button for almost every question.
If I played, I would have to push the button on EVERY question since I've never seen the show! :lol:
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Seinfeld was the show about nothing. Lost was the show where nothing ever happened.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Vanya wrote:Lost was the show where nothing ever happened.
...or did it??
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

This Quiz is not fun at all for anybody who never watched any of the show Lost. What is the point? You seem to assume that everybody watched it. Or is willing to play a game in a way that involves no skill, knowledge, or deliberation.