Monday, July 25, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 25, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, July 25, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AlphaDummy »

Question for the judges:

Would
Spoiler
"Oxford Dictionary"

be sufficient for FJ? (Spoilerized as this post is above the usual FJ post in the thread.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AlphaDummy wrote:Question for the judges:

Would
Spoiler
"Oxford Dictionary"

be sufficient for FJ? (Spoilerized as this post is above the usual FJ post in the thread.)
Doubtful, as there have been many others with that name or similar.

I wasn't too hopeful, going a perfect 0-for-5 to start the game off. Was the $200 book (the first clue) one that I should have heard of, because I certainly haven't.

For FJ, they type of book was obvious, although it took me a few seconds to figure out exactly which one they wanted.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

I had a little deja vu watching tonight's episode, as Maggie was originally in the same taping group as Nick (njcondon) and I. She and Nick were the two holdovers to Wednesday's taping day, but apparently she wasn't feeling very well, so the show arranged for her to come back a few weeks later to tape. She is a very neat person, and very funny. I got to talk with her some after my games taped - she shared a cab with me, my husband and my brother from the studio back to the hotel. (Weird fact - her son was born the same day as my wedding last summer.)

I got FJ immediately. (I don't think we have to spoiler tag - the whole thread is marked spoiler). I really don't think there was anything else it could be.

I felt bad for Maggie on that DD... I didn't know Myanmar's capital quick enough either (I might have been able to come up with it given enough time, but I wasn't even really sure that Myanmar was the right country.)

The B-C-D category was cake, as was most of the films category (I wasn't 100% on Driving Miss Daisy, but it seemed logical.) All in all, not a bad set of boards. And I loved seeing the cool watches. I want the one that was a gun that shoots the hours. :mrgreen:
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

I had "kelp" for "seaweed" in the "Are you eating?" category. Judges, what say ye?

Interesting that they ran a brief explanation prior to Final re: awkward wording in one of the clues for the blood type category. I can't recall that ever having happened before, particularly given that it didn't affect the outcome of the game. Wonder if this might end up being a new policy?
Karawan

Post by Karawan »

I realized that Maggie's son must be about the same age as mine, since I too had a 7-month-old when I taped my show in March! That was fun to hear about; I loved that story about "his" Twitter feed and would be interested to read it.

I don't typically yell at my TV, but I did find myself yelling "RANGOON!" repeatedly during that Daily Double. My son, who is now almost 11 months, started giggling hysterically the first time I said it, so I repeated it a few times for his benefit. He tends to show more interest in that other game show with the big flashy spinning wheel, so I'm trying to make Jeopardy! more appealing to him and train him early.

He then repaid me by requiring a diaper change during Final Jeopardy, so I missed both the clue and whatever announcement Alex was making in the middle of the commercial break (a scoring change?). If anyone could fill me in I would be much obliged. I already know that the answer is the OED but I'd still like to see if it's something I would likely have gotten on my own.

And as a Romance literature major, I must say that when I saw "Books About Books" I was really hoping for a novel like Madame Bovary or Don Quixote. I have a soft spot for those stories of people being driven mad by their passion for reading!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

FJ was an instaget here too.

My understanding was that the current capital of Myanmar is Naypyidaw -- not Yangon as Alex stated.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

mam418 wrote:(I wasn't 100% on Driving Miss Daisy, but it seemed logical.)
I was 0%. I blurted out "Forrest Gump" before I realized better.

Alamble -- I would say no, because kelp and dulse are different types of seaweed.

hbomb -- I was aware a new city was designated Myanmar's capital in the 2000s, but would have guessed Yangon anyway because (at least I seemed to remember) it was still capital as of 2002, the beginning of the range of years that the clue cited.

"My blood type is my motto: B positive!" [/Ned Flanders]
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Linda Percy: $17,400+$1,000=$18,400
Maggie Diamond: $7,600-$3000=$4,600
Edgar Mihelic: $4,200+$4,198=$8,398

Books About Books
The 2003 bestseller "The Meaning of Everything" is subtitled "The Story of" this reference classic.
Spoiler
What is the Oxford English Dictionary? Maggie said Webster's Dictionary.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alamble wrote: Interesting that they ran a brief explanation prior to Final re: awkward wording in one of the clues for the blood type category. I can't recall that ever having happened before, particularly given that it didn't affect the outcome of the game. Wonder if this might end up being a new policy?
Wow, I FF'd right through that one, so thanks for mentioning it. That is definitely an interesting tidbit, and had FJ gone differently, it definitely could have had an impact on the game. I was stunned that neither Maggie nor Edgar even ventured a guess on that clue after LInda negged with "B", since "A" was really the only logical answer remaining that would fit as both a blood type and a musical note. However, if one of them was actually musically inclined, he/she may have known that the question was worded incorrectly, so "A" did not actually fit what was asked, the 6th tone of c minor. I assume that both contestants thought the correct response was going to be something more complicated than just "A", since the 3rd and 4th clues in the category both had a positive or negative in them, so they would not expect the $2,000 clue to be something as simple as "A".

*edit* Okay, after a little research, I may have made some incorrect statements in that paragraph. According to this link: http://musiced.about.com/od/lessonsandt ... sclaes.htm
the C Minor scale goes (C - D - Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C) so the 6th tone of C Minor is actually Ab, so it would have fit into that category as both a musical tone and a blood type. I wonder if it is possible that they actually had AB as the correct response but Alex mis-spoke and said it was "A". I never knew that there were musical notes with 2 letters like EB, Ab, and Bb, hence my previous statement that A was the only logical answer remaining after B was eliminated.

I felt bad for Maggie at the end of the game, because she clearly knew the country in question on the DD, but couldn't come up with the capital. Then she just needed either of the final 2 clues to go her way to have a shot to win in FJ, but after not attempting the $1,600 clue, she must not have even been able to come up with a reasonable guess at the $2,000 clue. I didn't blame her, because I didn't have a guess either. Had she known that the $2,000 clue would go unanswered, I believe that she would have at least taken a shot at the $1,600 clue, but given the result of FJ, none of it really mattered anyway. As long as Linda responded to FJ correctly, any number of things could have gone differently in DJ, and the result would have remained the same. That was a second consecutive very impressive performance by Linda, and I even correctly predicted her FJ wager, to take her to an even $50,000 after two wins.

An interesting response in the B-C-D category was "bald-faced lie". Alex seemed to indicate that "bare-faced lie" was their intended response, while "bald-faced lie" was accepted as an alternate answer. I actually am more familiar with "bald-faced lie", and I was already wondering before the contestant responded if "bold-faced lie" would be accepted, because I wasn't entirely sure which one was the correct expression, but I thought that it was supposed to be "bald-faced". Interestingly, there seem to be those that believe that "bold-faced lie" actually has a different meaning than the other two expressions, so that leads me to believe that J! would not have accepted that as an alternate answer.
http://askville.amazon.com/term-bald-fa ... swerViewer.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Budphrey wrote:hbomb -- I was aware a new city was designated Myanmar's capital in the 2000s, but would have guessed Yangon anyway because (at least I seemed to remember) it was still capital as of 2002, the beginning of the range of years that the clue cited.
*nod* The clue stated 2003-2010, and Rangoon was capital for 3 of those years.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I thought that was a pretty bad wager by Maggie on her DD. She should have bet small enough so that she was still within half of Linda's total, or gone TDD. With her wager, if she got it wrong she lost her chances of winning, and if she got it right she would still be behind Linda.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:Was the $200 book (the first clue) one that I should have heard of, because I certainly haven't.
Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is one I knew two different ways. One, it spent I have no idea how many weeks on bestseller charts. I see such charts in the Sunday paper and in EW and I always take the time to look at the authors and titles. I may not remember anything the first five times, but as the weekly count goes higher the names stick better.

Two, the book was out and unmissable at a home where I housesit. Another time I couldn't help but notice the owners had one of the Steig Larsson books. It's like seeing someone reading a book on a bus or in the waiting room. It stands out.

What is the Chabon book about? I have no idea.

Linda was on fire tonight with the lock game and great laugh to end the interview segment with the Mick Jagger line.

The only movie clue I didn't get was Casablanca. It wasn't that long ago I typed something similar. Mr. Rains had me looking for a charater and by the time it hit me it was the actor Claude, I went to The Invisible Man first. Driving Miss Daisy is one I've seen at least 10 times as many as Do The Right Thing which is usually squawked about when discussing the Best Picture for 1989. That makes me happy it was on the NYT list no matter the number it ranked.

The FJ clue had me write the OED as I crossed my fingers it was not Encylopedia Brittanica. The use of "Meaning" in the wording seem to indicate it was a dictionary. I was not going to guess:

Gray's Anatomy
Compleat Angler
Devil's Dictionary
Webster's Dictionary

or anything else J! likes in the reference area.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

jeff6286 wrote:*edit* Okay, after a little research, I may have made some incorrect statements in that paragraph. ... the C Minor scale goes (C - D - Eb - F - G - Ab - Bb - C) so the 6th tone of C Minor is actually Ab, so it would have fit into that category as both a musical tone and a blood type. I wonder if it is possible that they actually had AB as the correct response but Alex mis-spoke and said it was "A". I never knew that there were musical notes with 2 letters like EB, Ab, and Bb, hence my previous statement that A was the only logical answer remaining after B was eliminated.
No, there aren't musical notes with two letters. "Ab" should be read as "A-flat" because the musical notation for flat looks vaguely like a lowercase b. (Similarly, "A#" is often written to indicate "A-sharp" since the notation for sharp resembles that character.) And in fact, A-flat is the 6th tone of a C-minor scale. Knowing that, I clammed on that question because A-flat is not a blood type. Once Alex revealed the correct response to be "A", I protested to my wife that A is not the 6th tone of a C minor scale*. The subsequent correction was a nice vindication, and I'm tempted to add $2000 to my Coryat since I think I would have answered correctly given the proper clue.

Also, even if we ignore that little error, I thought the whole category lacked precision in that some of the blood types included the Rhesus factor suffix ("positive" or "negative") while others did not. After seeing a correct response of "A-negative", it seemed odd to have another correct response simply be "A" since "A-negative" is a subset of "A". I guess technically these are both blood types, but it just seemed clumsy to me.

Went the wrong way on FJ and wrote down Webster's Dictionary. :cry:

*Except in the rarely-used "melodic minor" scale, but they would specify that if they meant that one. When not otherwise specified, I assume the harmonic minor scale as the default.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mam418 wrote:I got FJ immediately. (I don't think we have to spoiler tag - the whole thread is marked spoiler). I really don't think there was anything else it could be.
Oh, there's plenty it could be (not even counting whatever out-of-left-field guess TPH had), like the Encyclopedia Britannica (my answer) for one. Granted, I couldn't really think of anything that could really fit the title (wasn't much TOM there), upon reveal I figured that the OED had more of a chance of having a book about it than the EB, but both were still remote shots for being written about in my book (no pun intended)
mam418 wrote:I want the one that was a gun that shoots the hours. :mrgreen:
"Hey, what time is it?"
(turns watch to look straight at it) "Why it's exactly 6 o' -" *BANG* *thud*

:mrgreen:
alamble wrote:Interesting that they ran a brief explanation prior to Final re: awkward wording in one of the clues for the blood type category. I can't recall that ever having happened before, particularly given that it didn't affect the outcome of the game. Wonder if this might end up being a new policy?
Given the anal retentiveness of commenters on the board (they Sony board was probably still up when this was taped), they probably figured they had to address that before any shitstorm arose on the board. The last post-facto clarification I can recall was the Final from earlier this year where "Malawi" was added to the list of potential correct answers after the fact, but it was after airing, and announced on the Board by a moderator.
jeff6286 wrote:I wonder if it is possible that they actually had AB as the correct response but Alex mis-spoke and said it was "A". I never knew that there were musical notes with 2 letters like EB, Ab, and Bb, hence my previous statement that A was the only logical answer remaining after B was eliminated.
Impossible, as AB was already used in the category (the $400 clue)

I was somewhat disappointed in the blood type category, I was hoping that they'd go beyond the types that everyone knows and into some of the really rare ones, like h-h. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Nice second win by Linda. All three interviews were pretty good today (I want to find that Twitter feed now...), but that Mick Jagger comment took the cake. :)

Went for Webster's instead of Oxford (though I had a thought that it might be Oxford, then dismissed it).

That pre-FJ comment from Alex certainly seemed unprecedented...I do remember one of the mods on the old board posting about the Malawi issue a day or two after the FJ involving it, but I can't recall any recent separate on-screen corrections.

Was it just me, or did it seem like the books category was primarily populated with novels adapted to film? (Not that I was complaining. :))

Said "bold-faced" for "bald-faced" and eventually gave myself credit (I'm curious to see whether I was accurate in doing so or not...).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

(To the tune of part of "Then He Kissed Me")

I didn't know just what to do
So I bet a grand times two;
Rangoon nor Yangon would come through,
And hence a lock game.

Just another example of someone backing down from a big bet, only to make a more dangerous (in my assessment), not-small-enough bet.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I wonder if it is possible that they actually had AB as the correct response but Alex mis-spoke and said it was "A". I never knew that there were musical notes with 2 letters like EB, Ab, and Bb, hence my previous statement that A was the only logical answer remaining after B was eliminated.
Impossible, as AB was already used in the category (the $400 clue)
In narrow themed categories, duplicate responses can be possible.
"Presidents on Mount Rushmore", "iPod, Youtube, Wii" and "The legitimate children of Henry VIII" come to mind.

When was this correction bit? I don't recall seeing it...(and I've, of course, already cleared the thing off my DVR...) Did they stick it in as a commercial or something?
Edit: Yep...Think I found where it was, two spots before the last commercial. Darn it...if I didn't fast forward the commercials when I record, I'd still have it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
earendel

Post by earendel »

mam418 wrote:I felt bad for Maggie on that DD... I didn't know Myanmar's capital quick enough either (I might have been able to come up with it given enough time, but I wasn't even really sure that Myanmar was the right country.)
I was concerned that Rangoon wouldn't have been accepted - I was wracking my brains trying to remember the new name (Yangon) and couldn't come up with it. From Alex's words it would appear that either would have been accepted.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."