Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6988, 2015-01-21

CONTESTANTS
Will Anderson, a senior legislative aide originally from Atlanta, Georgia
Erin Rhode, a software engineer originally from Plymouth, Minnesota
Daniel Grigg, a beer wholesaler from Colorado Springs, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks. Welcome aboard once again. A knowledge of 12th century English history helped Daniel grigg pick up the $12,000 on yesterday's program. He came up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy! What will happen today, as a very serious looking Erin and will join us as the challengers? Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. And now let's find out what the categories are. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S MY LINE? (4/5)
FRUITY MUSIC (5/5)
DANGEROUS WEATHER (4/5)
FRENCH DIP (2/3)
THE INTERNET (4/5)
SWIFT MYTH (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Will: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Erin: 7 R, 0 W
Daniel: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erin: $2,600
Daniel: $600
Will: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The power of showbiz. Will Anderson is a senior legislative aide who has worked for two members of Congress?

Will: That's correct.

Alex: Which means you've met people in power in our government, right?

Will: I've had the privilege and honor of meeting presidents and Secretaries of State, the Dalai Lama, but among my favorites is, uh, Stephen Colbert, who, uh, actually comes to D.C. on a pretty regular basis. He tapes on Fridays for "Better Know a District", so I happened to be doing my work, I walked into a scene that he was having, and I happened to technically be on The Colbert Report, so...

Alex: Do you think he should run?

Will: Uh, you know, I'm a big fan, but I think I'll let him make the decision on that one.

Alex: Yeah, of course he's got that late night show now.

Will: That's right.

Alex: So that's--that's--that's a big, important job, too.

Will: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Now, Erin Rhode. Uh, you are a curler.

Erin: I do. I went to an open house and then started in a league about five years ago, and now I say I throw rocks at houses for fun.

Alex: Yeah. Good for you. Now, uh, what position do you have on the team?

Erin: I usually skip. I skip on my women's team, so...

Alex: Oh, hello. So you're the one who decides--

Erin: Yeah, I yell at people a lot.

Alex: Yeah. in-turn, out-turn.

Erin: In--yeah, all that stuff.

Alex: Yeah. Get it into the house. Block.

Erin: That's right. Hard!

Alex: Hard, yeah. Harder! harder! harder!

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Daniel Grigg is a beer wholesaler from Colorado Springs who met his wife at a concert in spite of the fact that you had gone to the same high school together many years before.

Daniel: Yes, and we're the same age, so it's quite ironic.

Alex: So you were there at the same time.

Daniel: She graduated a year earlier than me. She's smarter than I am, though. [Laughs]

Alex: Ah, okay. And you've been together now for how many years?

Daniel: Uh, we've been married for three years now.

Alex: Three years. Okay.

Daniel: Going on.

Alex: All right. Going on. Okay. [Laughs] Remember, those are important things to remember in a marriage--

Daniel: Yeah.

Alex: --if you want it to last more than--

Daniel: I thought you were gonna quiz me on what the band was, so I was--

Alex: Oh, no, no, I--

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DANGEROUS WEATHER $1000: In 2008 120-mph winds hit the Irrawaddy Delta in this country
(Will: What is India?)
(Daniel: What is Cambodia?)

THE INTERNET $400: William Gibson coined this portmanteau word that refers to the Internet as a whole
(Will: What is... information superhighway?)

FRENCH DIP $400: While playing Marco Polo at the beach, I almost collided with un bateau, one of these
(Daniel: What is a--a bat?)

WHAT'S MY LINE? $1000: In Chapter 2 of "The Virginian", this 5-letter word follows "when you call me that..."

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Will: $5,000
Erin: $3,600
Daniel: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COTTON IS KING (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE BLUE & THE GRAY (5/5)
"CIVIL" (4/5)
WAR (3/5)
GONE WITH THE WIND (3/5)
1865 AMERICA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Will: 9 R, 0 W
Erin: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Daniel: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Daniel snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Daniel had $2,000, Erin had $3,600, and Will was at $5,000. Daniel made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

1865 AMERICA $1200: This agency was founded in 1865 to suppress counterfeit currency

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Daniel had $2,800, Erin had $9,600, and Will was at $15,400. Erin wagered $2,000.

COTTON IS KING $1600: Dorothy's iconic blue & white checked pinafore in "The Wizard of Oz" was made from this cotton fabric
(Alex: There are only four more clues to deal with, and we have about a minute to go, and the lead is within your reach.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GONE WITH THE WIND $1600: In 2014 the movie turned 75 & this actress who played Melanie Hamilton turned 98

GONE WITH THE WIND $2000: He was working on another 1939 blockbuster when he was brought in to replace George Cukor as the film's director

WAR $2000: Development of the MX missile, AKA this somewhat contradictory term, began in the '70s
(Daniel: What is the Peacemaker?)

"CIVIL" $2000: Title of a 1970s bestseller complaining about Americans' bad English--keep it "in your head"

COTTON IS KING $2000: Similar to khaki, this durable cotton twill was originally used for U.S. Army uniforms; now it's often used for casual pants

WAR $1200: AKA the M9A1 rocket launcher, this shoulder-held weapon could pierce 5 inches of armor plate, Joe

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Will: $16,200
Erin: $12,800
Daniel: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Will: Wager $9,401 to cover Erin.
Erin: You'll want to wager $3,401, and you'll win the game if Will wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Daniel: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A line in this short story is "slowly, awkwardly trying out his feelers, which he now first learned to appreciate..."

FINAL SCORES
Daniel: $4,800 + $4,800 = $9,600 (What is Metamorphisis) (2nd place)
Erin: $12,800 - $3,401 = $9,399 (What is The Fly?) (3rd place)
Will: $16,200 + $3,400 = $19,600 (What is The Metamorphosis) (New champion: $19,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Will: $16,200, 20 R, 2 W
Erin: $12,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Daniel: $4,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Will: 21/58 = .362
Erin: 15/59 = .254
Daniel: 13/59 = .220
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DANGEROUS WEATHER $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows time-elapse satellite imagery of a storm on the monitor.) On October 22, 2012, it began as a tropical depression over the Caribbean, Jamaica got it as a hurricane two days later & by October 29th, this superstorm had a 1,000-mile-wide diameter as it reached the eastern United States

DANGEROUS WEATHER $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows time-elapse satellite imagery of a storm on the monitor.) On November 5, 2013, with 74-plus-mile-per-hour winds, the storm called Haiyan was classified as this; winds hit 195 miles per hour by the time it reached the Philippines

SWIFT MYTH $200: Multi-headed hellhound
(Daniel: What is Cerebus?)
(Alex: No.)
(Daniel: What is [*]?)

WHAT'S MY LINE? $600: This Spaniard wrote, "a knight without a lady is like a tree without leaves"
(Alex: [*], correct. Don Quixote.)

SWIFT MYTH $800: Jackal-headed son of Osiris
(Alex: [*] is right with less than a minute.)

FRENCH DIP $600: Our beach abbreviation SPF becomes FPS in French; the "P", this word, is spelled the same in both languages
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

GONE WITH THE WIND $800: For her role as Mammy, this actress became the first African American to win an Oscar

CORRECT RESPONSES
Myanmar (formerly Burma)
cyberspace
a boat
smile
the Secret Service
gingham
Olivia de Havilland
Victor Fleming
the Peacekeeper
A Civil Tongue
chino
a bazooka
"The Metamorphosis"
Sandy
a typhoon
Cerberus
Cervantes
Anubis
protection
Hattie McDaniel
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Fiction
A line in this short story is "slowly, awkwardly trying out his feelers, which he now first learned to appreciate..."

Spoiler
What is The Metamorphosis? Erin said The Fly.

Will Anderson: $16,200+$3,400=$19,600...now a 1-day champion with $19,600
Erin Rhode: $12,800-$3,401=$9,399
Daniel Grigg: $4,800+$4,800=$9,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

No disrespect to Daniel, but after his somewhat invisible win yesterday I was pretty sure he was one-and-done. Didn't help him that the challengers were very much on the ball.

Pretty tough game to be honest, DJ! especially had me shrugging a lot. Bummed out we missed the DD in the first round, especially since it could have been in the French category, which I would have smashed out of the park (though a baseball metaphor is perhaps inappropriate for the category).

Instaget FJ, though I did wonder if they would have negged "The Metamorphosis", since it is indeed just the one word. Mind you, Daniel misspelled it, as he did Becket yesterday.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

First time I got a FJ right because I studied other FJs on the J-archive.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

18 and 14. Not bad, considering I didn't run any categories (although I was 12/12 on the top boxes, which is rare).

Orange Crush was my only miss in Fruity Music. I knew Raspberry Beret only because it was a puzzle on Wheel recently and it made me go "huh?!?" And I still said "Strawberry Beret" before correcting myself.

"Cyberspace" was an understandable stumper. When's the last time anyone used that word to refer to the intarwebs? I don't think I've heard that word used once since the end of the first Napster era. Also missed Drudge there.

I thought "when you call me that, smile" was extremely obscure, and it kept me from 5/5 in What's My Line?

Daniel: Cerberus is a dog. Cerebus is an aardvark. :P

"Oh, shoot, that government organization that was made to thwart counterfeiting. I know this, it was in a previous FJ! What the hell is it?!?" Now I know how Opus feels when he keeps failing to remember "Gutzon Borglum".

So a percolator and a drip coffeemaker are not the same thing. Noted.

Is this the first time a profanity's ever been a correct response?

Considering how many gay friends I have, I'm surprised I've NHO "civil union".

Feelers = Metamorphosis? Got it.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Will started very slowly (with $0 at the first commercial break), but then he played very well and won. I had 42 correct responses including three triple stumpers: cyberspace, smile, and Olivia de Havilland. I didn't get FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

grindcore wrote:No disrespect to Daniel, but after his somewhat invisible win yesterday I was pretty sure he was one-and-done. Didn't help him that the challengers were very much on the ball.

Pretty tough game to be honest, DJ! especially had me shrugging a lot. Bummed out we missed the DD in the first round, especially since it could have been in the French category, which I would have smashed out of the park (though a baseball metaphor is perhaps inappropriate for the category).

Instaget FJ, though I did wonder if they would have negged "The Metamorphosis", since it is indeed just the one word. Mind you, Daniel misspelled it, as he did Becket yesterday.
I believe it is actually "The Metamorphosis", although I answered with the one word version.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Is this the first time a profanity's ever been a correct response?
Jeopardy is still rated G (although I didn't check the ratings box at he start of today's show), it's not considered a profanity now, at least not by FCC standards.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Feelers = Metamorphosis? Got it.
(Don't feel like taking this to the Education thread, difficult on an iPhone)

The title refers to the protagonist's metamorphosing into a bug. Bugs have feelers. Bingo, bango, Franz' your uncle.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

It's really "Die Verwandlung" so lets not be picky about the translation. Either way; instaget.

Yesterday (I think) I answered "On the Origin of the Species" and the contestant answered "The Origin of Species." I learned it with On, but I'm glad they are not picky about that sort of thing.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Basically instaget. What's the rule on "the"? (And side note: "The" is in fact in the title.)
billiej

Post by billiej »

I wasn't sure The Metamorphosis was a short story, but went with it since I had nothing else. :P
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Leander wrote:
grindcore wrote:No disrespect to Daniel, but after his somewhat invisible win yesterday I was pretty sure he was one-and-done. Didn't help him that the challengers were very much on the ball.

I believe it is actually "The Metamorphosis", although I answered with the one word version.
Yeah, you're right. Oops.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Oh, shoot, that government organization that was made to thwart counterfeiting. I know this, it was in a previous FJ! What the hell is it?!?" Now I know how Opus feels when he keeps failing to remember "Gutzon Borglum".
Who?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Need a ruling for Mrs. Penguin. The clue asked what government workers were known as "collectively." They wanted "civil service." She said "civil servants." We disagreed on whether that would be accepted. I'll tell you who went which way after you lock in your votes.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Is this the first time a profanity's ever been a correct response?
What profanity? Isn't the word 'dayum'? I've only ever heard it in the south. The response given sounded more like what beavers build.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:Need a ruling for Mrs. Penguin. The clue asked what government workers were known as "collectively." They wanted "civil service." She said "civil servants." We disagreed on whether that would be accepted. I'll tell you who went which way after you lock in your votes.
My vote is both.

And, I will add my voice to the chorus of "Welcome back, Opus! We missed you!"

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:Need a ruling for Mrs. Penguin. The clue asked what government workers were known as "collectively." They wanted "civil service." She said "civil servants." We disagreed on whether that would be accepted. I'll tell you who went which way after you lock in your votes.
Both are good in my book. I think they were looking for 'civil service', but would have to take 'civil servants'.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
What profanity? Isn't the word 'dayum'? I've only ever heard it in the south. The response given sounded more like what beavers build.

Brian
I have never heard "damn" on a TV-G show before. Keep in mind that Wheel bleeped "crap" twice last season, and I've heard that uncensored on TV-Y shows.

And I've said it before, but I could swear that in one of those horrid celeb games ca. 2008, Alex referred to one actress' character as a bitch. Uncensored.
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Is this the first time a profanity's ever been a correct response?
I don't know, but I remember reading an article a week or two ago about racism in Gone With the Wind. With that in the back of my mind, I almost had a Randy Marsh moment on that one before realizing there was no way in hell it could ever be a Jeopardy response. Apparently that particular phrase was in the first draft of the screenplay, but cut from the production version anyways