Friday, July 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, July 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Have been making do with my own judgements for "judges' rulings", but now that the board is back (in a fashion):

Ad slogans $1000: Would "[Sony] PSP" be acceptable for the given "Sony Playstation"? (I know there is a crucial difference, that is mine refers to the Playstation Portable.)

Also "It's Our Territory" $1600: Ceuta and Melilla are actually exclaves, not enclaves. This kind of egregious error is unacceptable, you guys should be ashamed at such an obvious error, I will never watch the show again, etc. etc. etc. ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Final Jeopardy category: British Authors:
She described her work as "human nature in the midland counties" & involving 'three or four familes in a country village".

Okay, this color seems to work for spoilers. If it doesn't, someone let me know, as I am color blind so it is possible that I might not be able to see the text but others might.

The correct response was: Who is Jane Austen? Josh said George Eliot.

Rachel: $16,200+$13,401=$29,601
Ben: $14,800+$3,800=$18,600
Josh: $10,100-$7,501=$2,599
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Today's show wrapped up quite an enjoyable week of Jeopardy! In each of the last three games all 3 players finished DJ with at least $9,000. I liked Rachel's wager on the late Daily Double. She knew that if she wagered enough to take the lead (or get closer), that she would risk falling too far behind Ben's score with a miss. If she had wagered 4-5 thousand and missed, and Ben had gotten either or both of the remaining two clues, she could have wound up with no chance to win in FJ. As it was, she seemed to surprise herself by coming up with the correct response, and then she managed to take the lead by getting both of the final two clues, worth $3,600. I was absolutely stunned that "We the People [of the United States], in order to form a more perfect union..." wasn't an instaget for all three players. It was the final clue of the game, and after a long wait, Rachel jumped in with the correct response to take the lead, and it wound up winning her the game. The clue asking what came between the Gospel of Luke and Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament also had a bit of a delay before being answered. I struggled mightily in the birthstone category, but was able to get the DD correctly only because I happen to have an October birthday, and I knew that Opal was October's birthstone.

Those were some strange wagers in FJ by both Ben and Josh. Ben's wager of $3,800 was $1,601 short of what it needed to be to shut out Josh, and if you're in a close second place, the one thing that you should be concerned about is making sure that if you get FJ correct, the 3rd place player doesn't pass you. Josh's wager may have been even worse. The one thing that is generally the most predictable in FJ is the wager by the leader, and in this case Rachel did make the predictable shutout wager of $13,401. If she was incorrect, she would have been left with $2,799, and yet Josh inexplicably be enough to leave himself below that number with an incorrect response. I have no idea where he got $7,501, as the $1 extra generally means that he wanted to finish ahead of someone who might finish with $17,600, but I have no idea why he would have thought either player would end up at that number. That would have required a $1400 bet by Rachel, which is the same amount she led Ben by, so I guess Josh was counting on a stereotypical timid wager by the female in the game, supposing that she might not have the nerve to risk a number as large as $13,401. Of course, any such thinking should have been immediately disproven by the fact that she was in nearly the exact same position on yesterday's show and just like today, with a narrow lead she risked most of her money and made the standard shutout wager. Oh well, at least I tried to come up with some rational train of thought that might have led to that wager. Sometimes people's actions just defy explanation.
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:Have been making do with my own judgements for "judges' rulings", but now that the board is back (in a fashion):

Ad slogans $1000: Would "[Sony] PSP" be acceptable for the given "Sony Playstation"? (I know there is a crucial difference, that is mine refers to the Playstation Portable.)
No, and "Playstation" on its own really shouldn't have been accepted either, because the "It Only Does Everything" tagline is specific to the PS3, and not previous iterations of the console.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Have been making do with my own judgements for "judges' rulings", but now that the board is back (in a fashion):

No, and "Playstation" on its own really shouldn't have been accepted either, because the "It Only Does Everything" tagline is specific to the PS3, and not previous iterations of the console.
Cool, already negged myself, nice to know that my judgements in the lack of a board would have held up (this was actually the most serious "judges' ruling" I was curious about since the Sony board went down.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The BMS on Hillary for Everest made me laugh. Would Alex have done that if the player had been more confident in giving the last name only? The lack of assuredness seemed to give Alex a reason to put him on the spot.

Alex had me going on the FJ clue with his pre-reveal remarks. I wrote down Austen for my best guess with not much confidence about it. Alex talking about recent movies had me thinking I had blown it and J.K. Rowling was the author.

Testing the spoiler tag here.
Spoiler
Does it work?
Doesn't look like it. Other ideas?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dave had the idea in the other thread of changing the color, you just have to make sure of what background yours is going to be in. Color BFFFFF seems pretty effective for the lighter blue background (or was it darker blue?)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Paucle wrote:dave had the idea in the other thread of changing the color, you just have to make sure of what background yours is going to be in. Color BFFFFF seems pretty effective for the lighter blue background (or was it darker blue?)
What about itty-bitty text?
alamble

Post by alamble »

Paucle wrote:dave had the idea in the other thread of changing the color, you just have to make sure of what background yours is going to be in. Color BFFFFF seems pretty effective for the lighter blue background (or was it darker blue?)
That was me, actually. The spoiler tag won't work unless agefen activates it. I believe it's considered custom code.
LETTERL
Contributor

Post by LETTERL »

Nice recap of the episode. After attempting 40 clues in Thursday's game, I only attempted 24 today and missed 5. I too was surprised that there seemed to be hesitation on "of the United States." I have to admit to being ashamed to have missed FJ today; human nature and villages led me to the conclusion that the author was Agatha Christie. Oh well...now, with Kids Week coming up, it'll be a couple of weeks before I can try again.

What made today's episode exciting was that each player spent time in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Josh trailed most of the game but even very late in DJ, Rachel was in third place...then surged at the end to move ahead. Exciting game. I, too, was puzzled by the FJ wagers.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

If anybody was wondering "Why weren't Ben and Josh used in the Teachers' Tournament?", keep in mind that this show and the rest of Season 27 was taped before the Teachers' Tournament. The show tapes tournaments and other special events closer to their air dates than regular shows.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

chuck5982 wrote:If anybody was wondering "Why weren't Ben and Josh used in the Teachers' Tournament?", keep in mind that this show and the rest of Season 27 was taped before the Teachers' Tournament. The show tapes tournaments and other special events closer to their air dates than regular shows.
Not that I ever asked, but then maybe one can rephrase the question: "Why weren't Ben and Josh used in the Teacher's Tournament, and two of the tournament teachers used in regular shows instead?" Was it just "luck (?) of the draw" that put the tournament participants in the tournament rather than in regular games?

alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:If anybody was wondering "Why weren't Ben and Josh used in the Teachers' Tournament?", keep in mind that this show and the rest of Season 27 was taped before the Teachers' Tournament. The show tapes tournaments and other special events closer to their air dates than regular shows.
Not that I ever asked, but then maybe one can rephrase the question: "Why weren't Ben and Josh used in the Teacher's Tournament, and two of the tournament teachers used in regular shows instead?" Was it just "luck (?) of the draw" that put the tournament participants in the tournament rather than in regular games?
In hindsight, I kind of wish someone had asked about this at the auditions I attended in Kansas City, as Glenn did mention that there will be another Teachers' Tournament next spring and that all teachers in the pool (there were several in my room alone) would be considered for both regular shows and the tourney. I suspect that availability may be a part of who is picked.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

LETTERL wrote: I too was surprised that there seemed to be hesitation on "of the United States."
I wondered if the contestants were singing the Schoolhouse Rock preamble to themselves, as that song omits "of the United States" and is how most people who were around in the '70s memorized it.

I'm a Jane Austen completist (read the large volume of her letters and just about any book about her that I can find), and I didn't recognize the first quote about human nature in the Midlands. But the second quote, about 3 or 4 villages, was the Pavlovian quote I'd recommend knowing (the othere Pavlovian phrase for Austen is about working on a little bit of ivory, two (I think) inches wide, meaning similarly that she concentrated in depth on a small area.
Agatha Christie's not a bad guess, though her villages were a little more thickly populated.
alamble

Post by alamble »

periwinkle wrote: I'm a Jane Austen completist (read the large volume of her letters and just about any book about her that I can find), and I didn't recognize the first quote about human nature in the Midlands. But the second quote, about 3 or 4 villages, was the Pavlovian quote I'd recommend knowing (the othere Pavlovian phrase for Austen is about working on a little bit of ivory, two (I think) inches wide, meaning similarly that she concentrated in depth on a small area.
Agatha Christie's not a bad guess, though her villages were a little more thickly populated.
The quote referenced "three or four families in a country village", which should have automatically eliminated Agatha Christie.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Agatha Christie wrote numerous books that involved families in a village (often with all the members of a family suspecting each other).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

periwinkle wrote:
LETTERL wrote: I too was surprised that there seemed to be hesitation on "of the United States."
I wondered if the contestants were singing the Schoolhouse Rock preamble to themselves, as that song omits "of the United States" and is how most people who were around in the '70s memorized it.
So, was I the only one who knew it from the opening of Alice Cooper's "Elected"?

(Haven't seen much SHR at all, but from what I've heard and seen, it does sound like something way cool.)

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:Testing the spoiler tag here.
Spoiler
Does it work?
Doesn't look like it. Other ideas?
Spoiler
Really? Then why have it in the messaging interface?
Looks like the spoiler tag is working now. Thanks, Aged Fen!
In and out of the pool four times