Monday, July 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Monday, July 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

The term "Kid's week easy" has been bandied about on here a lot - personally, while the majority of the clues were this, there were some genuine challenges for the youngsters today IMHO, including Final (evidenced by the fact that 2 got it wrong and the third didn't seem sure). It took me about 20 seconds to get it (and wife never did), I blame it on the lack of TOM (IMHO).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:The term "Kid's week easy" has been bandied about on here a lot - personally, while the majority of the clues were this, there were some genuine challenges for the youngsters today IMHO, including Final (evidenced by the fact that 2 got it wrong and the third didn't seem sure). It took me about 20 seconds to get it (and wife never did), I blame it on the lack of TOM (IMHO).
*nod* I'm not sure how long it would have been before I came up with Ronald McDonald. I got Frisch's Big Boy stuck in my head.

I didn't like the "butte" clue, either. I'm sorry, Alex ... could "plateau" not also be from the French? Peut etre? :P
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:The term "Kid's week easy" has been bandied about on here a lot - personally, while the majority of the clues were this, there were some genuine challenges for the youngsters today IMHO, including Final (evidenced by the fact that 2 got it wrong and the third didn't seem sure). It took me about 20 seconds to get it (and wife never did), I blame it on the lack of TOM (IMHO).
The "size 29EEE" shoes wasn't a clue that the icon would be a clown? I had it before Alex even finished reading the clue. I thought the woodpecker clue in the "tweets" category was pretty tough, simply because kids this age would likely have never heard of Woody Woodpecker, much less know what he sounds like.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:*nod* I'm not sure how long it would have been before I came up with Ronald McDonald. I got Frisch's Big Boy stuck in my head.
"Internationally-known" was what finally gave it to me. Since I blame the maple syrup in my veins for not knowing about the Big Boy, I think the "internationally known" part disqualifies him.
econgator wrote:I didn't like the "butte" clue, either. I'm sorry, Alex ... could "plateau" not also be from the French? Peut etre? :P
What I didn't like was how condescending he was when he said the correct answer. Sure, he does have a reputation as condescending, but that particular instant was especially egregious.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:I thought the woodpecker clue in the "tweets" category was pretty tough, simply because kids this age would likely have never heard of Woody Woodpecker, much less know what he sounds like.
Perhaps, but there is the distinctive "rat-tat-a-tat" of a real woodpecker at the end of its soundclip.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alamble wrote:
The "size 29EEE" shoes wasn't a clue that the icon would be a clown? I had it before Alex even finished reading the clue. I thought the woodpecker clue in the "tweets" category was pretty tough, simply because kids this age would likely have never heard of Woody Woodpecker, much less know what he sounds like.
I immediately thought of Ronald, but I wasn't 100% sure that it was right. I was trying to think of other "giant" characters like the Jolly Green Giant, the Brawny paper towel guy, I think Big Boy may have crossed my mind, but I assumed that the shoes of any character of that size would have to be way larger than 29EEE. Plus I doubt if the Green Giant even wears shoes. I know a lot of McDonald's have a Ronald sitting on a bench, and I was trying to recall if I had ever compared my shoe size to that of Mr. McDonald, but I don't believe I ever have.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

econgator wrote:
*nod* I'm not sure how long it would have been before I came up with Ronald McDonald. I got Frisch's Big Boy stuck in my head.

I didn't like the "butte" clue, either. I'm sorry, Alex ... could "plateau" not also be from the French? Peut etre? :P
I thought the FJ misses might be attributed to Ronald Mcdonald having a much lower profile in recent years, so he might not have come to mind right away to the kids. But seeing as several adults (who presumably grew up with the character) have admitted struggling with it already, I might be wrong.

Ah, Big Boy, I hadn't thought of that. Glad I didn't, or I might have wavered from Ronald Mcdonald. Though I don't think they would have asked the kids to come up with Big Boy as the restaurants are rarer these days than they were when I was growing up.

And I was a little miffed at Alex's little lecture after the "butte" clue also, I thought plateau was a reasonable guess (OK, it was my response as well.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I went with Ronald, but I can't say I had the confidence that I should have for a Kid's Week FJ.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Andromus wrote:
econgator wrote:

I thought the FJ misses might be attributed to Ronald Mcdonald having a much lower profile in recent years, so he might not have come to mind right away to the kids. But seeing as several adults (who presumably grew up with the character) have admitted struggling with it already, I might be wrong.

Ah, Big Boy, I hadn't thought of that. Glad I didn't, or I might have wavered from Ronald Mcdonald. Though I don't think they would have asked the kids to come up with Big Boy as the restaurants are rarer these days than they were when I was growing up.

And I was a little miffed at Alex's little lecture after the "butte" clue also, I thought plateau was a reasonable guess (OK, it was my response as well.)
Big Boy was much more regionalized than McDonald's ever was; Ronald came up right away and I never considered anything else. Though the fact that the company has de-emphasized the character is a fair point. These days, Ronald is more closely associated with their charitable operations than with the actual restaurants.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

It seemed to me that Graham Doskoch may have been nervous in the early part of the game, but once he got going and was able to develop some confidence during the Double Jeopardy! round, he turned out to be an excellent player. I think that he may have a little bit of Jack Weisman in him. :-) Aria Gerson and Charlotte Scott were also both good, but it was going to be difficult to take out Graham Doskoch on this day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jolly Green Giant for me. I wasn't sure he was still used or internationally known. Doubts that kids would be familiar with the mascot also nagged at me. Ronald McDonald never came to me. 0/1 in kids week.

I knew it was going to be that kind of week when I could not even run the Sports. Field goals had me picturing the kicking type, with football already used I was stumped and I never made it to hoops in time.

Alex's interview with Charlotte had me going for a sec as I did not want to see him discussing Black Swan with her.

Plateau for me on the clue that was a real butte.

Aria almost had me wishing this was a 2-week tourney with wildcards and such. Her squirmy buzzing technique and mannerisms cracked me up and I like the drop to 6401 on the miss. She was not going to let Charlotte take her money.

I wanted Graham to risk 1800, but money is money in his only shot and the FJ category was not a great one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed the top and bottom clues in the kid poetry category in the first round, swept the rest. Got only Clifford and Full House in the DJ TV shows and also missed the mountain top, also said Mesa, missed the bit about it being a French word.

I had the Jolly Green Giant and nothing else came to me.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: I knew it was going to be that kind of week when I could not even run the Sports. Field goals had me picturing the kicking type, with football already used I was stumped and I never made it to hoops in time.
Haha, I'm glad you brought this up, because I almost never miss a sports question on Jeopardy!, and I was also tripped up by the (in retrospect) easy basketball clue. Field Goals instantly sent me to football, like you, and I was thinking it was one of the football variants, such as Canadian football, Australian rules football, or Rugby. That was a total head-slap moment when the correct response was given, as were several others in this game.

I was impressed by the kids' performance in the math category, not just getting all of them correct, but also with how quickly they got some of them. On a couple of them I said the correct answer just a fraction of a second before the contestants did, which I was not expecting. I am fairly certain that this math category was harder than the one featured in Double Jeopardy! just last week.
earendel

Post by earendel »

FJ! was an instaget for me - perhaps because I spent several years working for the Golden Arches and one of my duties was to give tours to groups of children. That tour included a "sanitized" version of the McDonald's story and something about the mascot. By the same token, given that it was Kids Week, it just seemed logical to me that they'd choose an advertising icon with which children would be familiar. They are still making children's commercials with Ronald in them.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Willard Scott would have been good TOM for FJ, but would have been utterly lost on the contestants.