Monday, January 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Monday, January 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Wasn't that bad of a guess, really. Could've done worse.
Since we're taking on the Four Horsemen of the Apostrophe, we might as well mention those Americans (and they're all Americans) who add superfluous "ofs'" to sentences such as the above, that should read "...that bad a guess..."
Unless you underscored the all to indicate some type of "adoptive" American thingie, like "if you add the of, you become American by default," then I slept through the news the day we annexed Manitoba. :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Wasn't that bad of a guess, really. Could've done worse.
Since we're taking on the Four Horsemen of the Apostrophe, we might as well mention those Americans (and they're all Americans) who add superfluous "ofs'" to sentences such as the above, that should read "...that bad a guess..."
Unless you underscored the all to indicate some type of "adoptive" American thingie, like "if you add the of, you become American by default," then I slept through the news the day we annexed Manitoba. :)
But Manitoba is, as are Ontario, Chile & Cuba, in America, so we North Americans and South Americans are all "American".

I, too, though, wondered about that statement.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

thenextofken wrote:I'm from Dallas, but had no idea the Rough Riders started in San Antonio. Thanks to the date, FJ was the insta-get of instagets and I was stunned it wasn't a triple-get. As Bob Harris would say, it was like, bla bla bal 1898 bla bla bla.
I'm also from Texas and also had no idea that 1) the Rough Riders started there, or 2) that it was an all-volunteer group (always thought it was part of the U.S. military), or 3) that they existed so briefly.

So even though "the date screamed Spanish-American War," and I wrote down the correct answer, I didn't have much confidence in it. I'm not terribly surprised that it wasn't a triple-get, although Molly's guess wasn't particularly great and Bob's? well, I guess if Bob thinks the defenders of the Alamo were still hanging around at a bar in San Antonio in 1898, he never read all the way to the end to see how the battle came out.

I was also a bit surprised to see someone who bills herself as a "trivia hostess" guess Anne Boleyn when they were looking for Marie Antoinette two centuries later.

BTW, Kirby is a "Life Master in Chess?" I've heard of chess masters and grandmasters, and I've heard of life masters in bridge, but never in chess. Anyone? What would it take for one of us to become a Life Master in Jeopardy!? :D

The one thing that didn't surprise me about this game was Bob failing to win a second game. His first game didn't exactly scream "Powerhouse!"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jeff6286 wrote:
Was anyone else completely clueless on the Daily Double featuring the Morton's Salt logo? I recognized the logo immediately, but had no earthly idea what 5-word phrase was associated with it. I was trying to come up with something with the word "salt" in it, rather than just focusing on what was in the picture. I don't know if I would have come up with "When it rains, it pours", even if I hadn't been distracted by looking for a salt element in the answer. I wondered if maybe Morton's used to use that more prominently in their advertising, because while it did immediately come up as their slogan upon a Google search, I really didn't recall ever having heard it before.
For me the Morton's 5-word phrase was from deep memory, having heard it long ago. I can't say that I've heard it much any more recently. They may not be using it....
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
mrparadise wrote:and it's bar is most excellent.
"And it is bar is most excellent". Does that make sense to you?

ITS is still a word, folks. Learn when to use it. </grammar nazi>
Again - there are many people here who do not like you. Don't justify their opinion with stuff like this. Its a lesson you should have learned by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

These contestants were great, one of the better matches this year.

The stuff they mentioned is nothing to be ashamed of. Pretty tough board for the most part. I said Wolsey for "Wolf Hall," and there's nothing obvious in the Koestler quote (and of all the things Koestler did they mention this...) that would suggest it was "moment of truth" vs "moment of epiphany."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote:BTW, Kirby is a "Life Master in Chess?" I've heard of chess masters and grandmasters, and I've heard of life masters in bridge, but never in chess. Anyone? What would it take for one of us to become a Life Master in Jeopardy!?
Not a term I was familiar with either, and my highest ranking (back in High School, when my team won the L.I. championship for about ten minutes) would come nowhere close, but:

Life Master is a chess title awarded by the United States Chess Federation (USCF). To be awarded this title, one must hold a master's rating of over 2200 for at least 300 USCF-rated tournament chess games.

During the 1990s, the USCF also awarded a "Life Master" title on the basis of a different and more complex system that was similar to the FIDE 'norm system' of awarding titles. This method of attaining Life Master became officially recognized by the USCF on January 1, 1996. The "class norm" system was later discontinued, and players who had or were subsequently granted the title on the 300-game basis were renamed "Original Life Masters." In practice, the distinction is rarely made.

As the name of this title implies, this title is held for life, regardless of any subsequent decrease in rating. Thus it is possible to have a player with a USCF rating of 2100 (or below) who is a Life Master. While this is uncommon for 'Original Life Masters' (since such a rating floor can only be dropped by the USCF itself), it is relatively common for Life Masters who earned their title via the now-defunct norm system, since the requirements for that title did NOT require a rating of over 2200. This has led to some holders of the USCF Life Master title having never obtained ratings above 2200.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote: They should have reversed Doctor Who and the Noah Wylie show in the Sci-Fi TV category. I've never heard of the latter.

Wouldn't have come up with the Rough Riders ... ever, probably. Had no idea they were formed in TX.
You didn't miss much. Hard to buy Wylie as an action hero.

I said sons of Alamo for FJ, like Molly. I knew it was about the Spanish American War, which was short.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i agree with austin powers on the quality of all three contestants. very impressive, and one of the most exciting three-way games we've had this season. kirby and molly threatened to drive me nuts with their deliberate pace when picking clues, but they did still manage to clear both boards; perhaps it's because of the very high team batting average. no surprise that none of them (apparently) were alive to the ramifications of evenly spaced scores in FJ. that's a very difficult situation to wager from in any event.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

thenextofken wrote:

Looks like TPH is the official grammar nazi of the Illinois Nazi Party.
Sign of the Apocolypse: TPH Turns into TRD.
Their both TRD's.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jpahk wrote:i agree with austin powers on the quality of all three contestants. very impressive, and one of the most exciting three-way games we've had this season. kirby and molly threatened to drive me nuts with their deliberate pace when picking clues, but they did still manage to clear both boards; perhaps it's because of the very high team batting average. no surprise that none of them (apparently) were alive to the ramifications of evenly spaced scores in FJ. that's a very difficult situation to wager from in any event.
Yes, it seems to me a situation where you just have to go with your own gut pre-question probability based on the category and put an amount of money in based on that. With it being American History, I would have been inclined to wager the maximum appropriate amount. Additionally, with two other strong players, I might be inclined to wager more aggressively based on the sense that one of the other two is likely to come up with a correct response.
earendel

Post by earendel »

davey wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Once again lost on FJ! I guessed Pony Express.
Good enough guess for me...I knew the date was wrong, and I didn't think they were volunteers, but it was all I could think of. The date didn't trigger a thing...

I got it, but I've always seen the Japanese theater spelled "Noh" before.
I thought the same thing. Wikipedia lists "no" as part of the names of certain categories, styles, or moods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, hey, I forgot Mrs. Penguin wanted a ruling from last night. The nickname for Norway and Alaska. Clue specified 5 words. She said, "What is 'The Land of the Midnight Sun'" without stopping to count words. One too many. But it could be heard, admittedly quite awkwardly, with the "the" outside the quotation marks. "What is the 'Land of the Midnight Sun'". Think the judges would give it to her? Can anyone think of a precedent?

[Note: Edited from original where I somehow typed "Rising Sun" twice. And this is the same brain I want to take with me to a Jeopardy match. Great.]
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since the sun is midnight, not rising, I'd say she was wrong.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

harrumph wrote:When's the last time all three contestants finished the regular game with $15,000+?
The last time that happened was game 2 of the 2010 ToC QFs, when Stephen Weingarten's TDD on the penultimate clue put him in a tie for second place with Nick Yozamp at $16,400!

As for regular-play games, I'm beginning to wonder if it has ever even happened before. The closest I could find is this game from the end of last season, where the lowest score going into FJ was $14,800. I honestly think we may have just witnessed a new record.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:Since the sun is midnight, not rising, I'd say she was wrong.
D'oh! She said "midnight". I typed "midnight". The rest is the work of saboteurs.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I've never watched Dr. Who, but thought it was way overvalued. A British sci-fi show that began a long time ago? That would be Dr. Pavlov, uh, I mean Who.
"Gallifrey" and "time lord" were also great TOMs (really, they needlessly crammed more TOMs into that clue than 1950s frat members in a phone booth!), I'll join in the chorus: what the 地獄 was that doing at $2000?
2 thoughts on this:
1) OMG, I'm the same age as Dr Who!
2) I wonder how many 1950s frat members you could cram in a tardis... (the tardis? Were there others? And what's the plural of tardis, anyway? Tardes?)
jeff6286 wrote:Was anyone else completely clueless on the Daily Double featuring the Morton's Salt logo? I recognized the logo immediately, but had no earthly idea what 5-word phrase was associated with it. I was trying to come up with something with the word "salt" in it, rather than just focusing on what was in the picture. I don't know if I would have come up with "When it rains, it pours", even if I hadn't been distracted by looking for a salt element in the answer. I wondered if maybe Morton's used to use that more prominently in their advertising, because while it did immediately come up as their slogan upon a Google search, I really didn't recall ever having heard it before.
I remember a moment when I was a pretty small child, looking at a box of Morton salt & reading the slogan & seeing the logo, & having that realization that the same words can mean two different things at the same time. Possibly the beginning of my brainiac tendencies...
Got Rough Riders pretty quickly from the date alone. For a moment (San Antonio)=(close to Mexico) confirmed this in my head, then I remembered Mexico wasn't part of Spain for a long time by then and started worrying about what the reference to San Antonio was really supposed to make us think of... Anyway, I didn't have any other ideas so Rough Riders stuck.
Isn't Noah Wyle (no i in Wyle) in Terra Nova also? My thought on reading that clue was "there's aliens in Terra Nova??" My thought now is "Noah Wyle has been in multiple sci-fi/action shows?" (FTR, I did love him in ER. Long ago...)
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

Blanked on FJ. Rather sad, too--I was in San Antonio no less than a week and a half ago. Of course, I visited the Alamo, which threw me off a little, but after ten seconds or so the only thing I could conclusively say was that it didn't have anything to do with the Alamo.

I directed a production of Kesselring's Arsenic & Old Lace in high school, and I should have been able to piece it together from that, now that I think about it. ("The stairs are San Juan Hill!") Oh well.
jeff6286 wrote:Was anyone else completely clueless on the Daily Double featuring the Morton's Salt logo? I recognized the logo immediately, but had no earthly idea what 5-word phrase was associated with it. I was trying to come up with something with the word "salt" in it, rather than just focusing on what was in the picture. I don't know if I would have come up with "When it rains, it pours", even if I hadn't been distracted by looking for a salt element in the answer. I wondered if maybe Morton's used to use that more prominently in their advertising, because while it did immediately come up as their slogan upon a Google search, I really didn't recall ever having heard it before.
I blanked on that one too, but then again, in the heat of the game (even from my own couch), I am absolutely terrible at any clue that asks for either a certain number of syllables or a certain number of words, because I almost invariably mix them up. Ditto in this case (although it is indeed a five-syllable response too). Nonetheless, I thought it was a good clue.

Sneaky good game--didn't realize how well all were doing until the last clue or two. Shame they only went 1/3 on FJ, but an outstanding game nonetheless. I enjoyed all three contestants. Bob was very endearing to me--sad to see him go. Loved that mustache.
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:Slow talkers + video clues (and a TS after the LTaM warning), and we finished both rounds?! I thought the recent epidemic of unfinished boards was BS before, now I'm convinced.
I knew going into the first commercial break the boards would be cleared. Here's how: watch how long the camera hangs out in the studio between Alex's first "...right after this" and when the show actually does cut to commercial. It was a pan in length that rivaled those in the TOC.

The ones you have to worry about are the ones that cut to commercial as soon as Alex stops speaking.
CyrusChan wrote: In addition, I would like to know if anyone actually learned about the Rough Riders in history class.
That is something real specific in my mind and all I had was something similar to Bob's.
Yo. But I had a super freaking awesome AP American History teacher. In fact (barring medium degradation) I still have all his lectures on tape. For me, the clue was "blah blah 1898, volunteer blah blah" Years are either the best TOM ever or the worst. :lol:
Bamaman wrote:I got the Morton Salt logo clue. The tarp at Braves' games used to have the logo, along with the phrase, printed on it.
File that under best product placement ever.
I knew the saying, I knew the logo, but 1 + 1 only equals 2 if you know what 2 is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:
thenextofken wrote:
Looks like TPH is the official grammar nazi of the Illinois Nazi Party.
Sign of the Apocolypse: TPH Turns into TRD.
Their both TRD's.
ok, ok, we get it everyone! Enough!

i should of knew! your a looser! you're freind's, there definately all looser's to!

There- did we cover them all? We good? :)