Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7167, 2015-11-10

2015 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Kristin Sausville, a stay-at-home mom from Newark, Delaware
Brennan Bushee, a software developer from Malden, Massachusetts
Greg Seroka, a chef originally from Detroit, Michigan

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. All right, we're into it now, folks. Catherine Hardee, the winner yesterday, the first of our semifinalists. A brief note I think will be of interest to all of you. Our tournament is skewing younger this year. 8 of the 15 competitors are in their 20s, including Brennan, who is all of 22 years old. So Kristin, Brennan, and Greg, good to see you again. And good luck. Here we go. Now the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOONS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM (5/5)
OKLAHOMA! (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THIS & THAT (4/5)
COLORFUL LANGUAGE (5/5)
JUST PASSING THROUGH (5/5)
DIVINE COMEDIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Brennan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kristin: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brennan found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Greg had $1,800, Brennan had $2,400, and Kristin had nothing in the bank. Brennan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,400.

OKLAHOMA! $600: This first state capital was named for a judge, not a folk singer
(Brennan: What is Norman?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Greg: $2,600
Brennan: $1,200
Kristin: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: In 32 years of Jeopardy! programming, there have been only two occasions when there was only one player in Final Jeopardy! It happened this past year with Kristin Sausville. And I understand, it got a big play out there in the Internet.

Kristin: Yes, it did. It ended up going viral. I, uh, there was a people.com article about it that got over 2 million views.

Alex: Wow.

Kristin: And it was the number one trending topic on Facebook that day.

Alex: Did you make a lot of new friends because of that?

Kristin: No, actually, it was, uh, kind of funny. Nobody--we went out to dinner that night, and nobody recognized me.

Alex: Oh.

Kristin: So in a way, that was kind of a relief.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Kristin: Yeah. [Chuckles]

Alex: Brennan Bushee, young man. Uh, the day after you taped the program with us, you got to have breakfast with somebody?

Brennan: Yes. Uh, Darren, the guy I beat in the first game.

Alex: Really?

Brennan: Mm-hmm.

Alex: By coincidence or--what happened?

Brennan: Um, we--we didn't really plan it. We were just both down there at the same time.

Alex: Ah. Okay.

Brennan: We just...

Alex: Greg Seroka is a chef from Michigan. And right after his appearances on our program, somebody came up to him for an autograph, and you laughed at him.

Greg: I'm afraid so.

Alex: I laughed at this very nice older woman who asked me for an autograph. My friends and family are pranksters, and I kinda thought that they were making fun of me and sent her over there.

Alex: Set you up?

Greg: And that was not the case. She really wanted my autograph, so I apologize profusely.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OKLAHOMA! $1000: It's the state animal & its first national preserve was founded in Oklahoma in 1907

THIS & THAT $1000: Found on the north bank of the Thames River, it's officially Her Majesty's Royal Palace & Fortress
(Greg: What is Buckingham Palace?)
(Brennan: What is Windsor Castle?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Greg: $7,000
Brennan: $1,200
Kristin: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NICKNAMES FOR FEMINISTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SAME MOVIE & SONG TITLE (5/5)
CITIES ON THE RIVER (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the river.)
HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES (4/5)
DANTE'S DIVINE COMEDY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Brennan: 9 R, 0 W
Greg: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Greg had $11,000, Brennan had $5,600, and Kristin was at $3,800. Kristin wagered $200.

NICKNAMES FOR FEMINISTS $2000: Of this woman's 1848 statement demanding the vote, Lucretia Mott said, "Lizzie, thee will make us ridiculous"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kristin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Greg had $11,000, Brennan had $5,600, and Kristin was at $5,200. Kristin wagered $2,000.

HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $1600: It became an official French holiday in 1880, 91 years after the event that inspired it

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NICKNAMES FOR FEMINISTS $1200: A biography of this 19th century woman includes the line "news of Vicky's candidacy traveled across the country"

NICKNAMES FOR FEMINISTS $1600: In the 1920s Rene Maheu nicknamed her Le Castor, "the Beaver", for being so hardworking

CRYPTIC CROSSWORD CLUES $1200: This masked man is always at home in Dodger Stadium (6)
(Alex: The masked individual is the [*]. At home plate.)

DANTE'S DIVINE COMEDY $2000: The divine number of 3 is present in many aspects of the work, including this rhyme scheme that means "third rhyme" in Italian

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Greg: $13,000
Kristin: $12,800
Brennan: $12,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INAUGURAL ADDRESSES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Greg: Wager $12,601 to cover Kristin.
Kristin: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Brennan, hoping that you give the correct response and Greg doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $11,201 to cover Brennan's doubled score, but no more than $12,400 if you want to top Greg on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $799 and win if both Greg and Brennan miss Final.
Brennan: You ought to try wagering between $801 and $10,400. This will top a $0 wager by Kristin while still beating Greg and Kristin on the Triple Stumper (should Greg wager to cover Kristin's doubled score and Kristin wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His first address spoke of "the present happy state", "our peculiar felicity" & our "happy government"

FINAL SCORES
Brennan: $12,000 + $6,000 = $18,000 (Who is James Monroe?) (Automatic semifinalist)
Kristin: $12,800 - $0 = $12,800 (Who is Wilson?) (2nd place)
Greg: $13,000 - $1,500 = $11,500 (Who was FDR?) (3rd place)
(Alex: [Revealing Brennan's response] You thought of the Era of Good Feelings, did you?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brennan: $14,400, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kristin: $14,200, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Greg: $13,000, 20 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $41,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Greg: 20/58 = .345
Brennan: 18/59 = .305
Kristin: 16/60 = .267
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLORFUL LANGUAGE $800: They're the foamy waves seen here

MOONS OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an astronomical animation on the monitor.) Due to its odd, dramatically-inclined orbit, astronomers believe Neptune's moon, Nereid, may be a captured one of these
(Kristin: What is a comet?)

JUST PASSING THROUGH $1000: A shoelace passes through this small hole
(Kristin: What is an aglet?)

DIVINE COMEDIES $1000: He makes us laugh as a sergeant on "Brooklyn Nine-Nine"

HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $2000: This November observance, when girls court guys, began with a 1937 Li'l Abner comic strip

CORRECT RESPONSES
Guthrie
buffalo (or bison)
the Tower of London
(Elizabeth Cady) Stanton
Bastille Day
Victoria Woodhull
Simone de Beauvoir
umpire
terza rima
James Monroe
whitecaps
asteroid
eyelet
Terry Crews
Sadie Hawkins Day
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Inaugural Addresses

His first address spoke of the "present happy state", "our peculiar felicity" & our "happy government".
Spoiler
Who is James Monroe? Kristin had Wilson, Greg had FDR.
Brennan Bushee: $12,000+$6,000=now a finalist with $18,000

Kristin Sausville: $12,800-$12,800=$12,800

Greg Seroka: $13,000-$1,500=$11,500
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another good game with high scores going into FJ. The wild card race is getting tight already.

I had Washington for FJ. Never considered Monroe.

Alex said Kristen was the second single player FJ. I think there have been around seven.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Brennan! Love that dude.

What a game! This tournament is gonna be gold all the way to the end, I just know it.

American history: see ya.

Oh, and Alex- sometimes players giggle or smile when giving a response. There's no need to suggestively bring attention to it every frickin' time.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Well, now I know at least one of my semifinalist predictions is wrong. Wasn't expecting Greg to finish third, but good to see Brennan advance! It was really captivating to see Kristin pick up a lot of steam near the end, Brennan as well. Greg seemed to freeze up most of DJ after having a dominant first round. The wildcard cutoffs are gonna be really tight, seeing as the lowest score is $11,500 so far. Can't wait to see other intense matchups this week.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

zdude69closedrofl wrote:Well, now I know at least one of my semifinalist predictions is wrong. Wasn't expecting Greg to finish third, but good to see Brennan advance! It was really captivating to see Kristin pick up a lot of steam near the end, Brennan as well. Greg seemed to freeze up most of DJ after having a dominant first round. The wildcard cutoffs are gonna be really tight, seeing as the lowest score is $11,500 so far. Can't wait to see other intense matchups this week.
This wasn't the first time Greg finished third. His last game did him in.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Kristin guessed aglet for eyelet. Aglets are the hard pieces at the end of shoelaces that let you feed them through eyelets. That was a good come from behind for Kristin to make it a tight three-way match. Looking at those scores, I was thinking no one was going to bet anything.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

OK. I feel a little better about losing to that guy.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Judges? Masked man comfortable at Dodger Stadium (6):

Uhh ... how about "Batman"?
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

^I said "Scully" for that one, somehow thinking being stuck in a booth upstairs automatically meant "masked."

Last-second FJ! response swap for the win. Had FDR for the longest time (thinking he might've made it as an ironic comment) but swapped to Monroe as the timpani was sounding. I'll take it.
アタックチャンス!
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

floridagator wrote:Kristin guessed aglet for eyelet. Aglets are the hard pieces at the end of shoelaces that let you feed them through eyelets.
One of the many things I learned from Archie comics.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was another well-played game. I had 42 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Victoria Woodhull and umpire. I also got the missed DD of Guthrie, and I got FJ.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Wow, has a QF ever been this close before? Tough wagering choices for everyone here.

Kristin, did you tell your new best friend Anthony Anderson he was a clue on your game?

Kind of an up and down board in terms of difficulty, or maybe it just hit some big blind spots of mine (rivers, ugh).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Great game, great comebacks by Brennan and Kristin. Savvy wagering by Kristin in particular - I hope it holds up! The odds of Greg pulling through have to be pretty small though.

I got to "era of good feelings", but I couldn't make the connection to Monroe.

Hey - did everyone get St. Lawrence from Kingston (and Trois Rivières)? We're friendly here, but as well known as a middle of the board TOC question.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Oh and another thing ... The Susan B Anthony was copper/nickel, I'm having trouble finding a specific reference to the coin being referred to as a *silver* dollar ... shouldn't that have been a wrong answer?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MitchO wrote:Oh and another thing ... The Susan B Anthony was copper/nickel, I'm having trouble finding a specific reference to the coin being referred to as a *silver* dollar ... shouldn't that have been a wrong answer?
I was wondering about that. However, it can be slang for any dollar coin that looks silverish.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Was gonna edit, but since i have a reply .. right after I posted, I found this:

" The term silver dollar is often used for any large white metal coin issued by the United States with a face value of one dollar, whether or not it contains some of that metal. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_co ... ed_States)

So maybe.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "Black-Ish" (also the last name of a character in The Wainscott Weasel innit?). I hate "throw a new show in the $200 box" clues.

I also whiffed with aglet/eyelet, but I also didn't know "rangers" in that category, or that "rangers" are even a thing in that context.

Lach Trash: Guthrie, Umpire.

4/5 in Holidays and Cryptic Crossword, all but Bastille Day and Utopia.

Not a guess on FJ! I could tell you literally nothing about Monroe except that he was a President.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Can we talk about that $2000 "Feminist Nicknames" clue? Elizabeth Cady Stanton was vastly overvalued on that spot, and it was a DD to boot! I don't blame Kristin for such a timid wager after the $1200 and $1600 clues drew crickets, but I'm not sure I'd be able to maintain my composure after that kind of board trick. The producers must have a very dark sense of humor.