Tuesday, July 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Second game in a row with a rather un-Kid's Week FJ. I first hesitatingly decided on Eisenhower, then figured the "historic house" was much better suited to Washington, but the "smile" part of the clue really had me all askew (is there a famous military leader known for their smile?)

Kudos to the kids' wagers too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, forgot to mention that I got my all time highest Coryat ever (Kid's Week or not), $45,200 - I think answering all 30 questions in DJ! (a very rare feat for me to go a whole round without clams) - 26R 4W - helped immensely.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Second game in a row with a rather un-Kid's Week FJ.
Agreed. After yesterday's clue, though, I just simplified it and figured if they ask about "first", it's probably Washington. I have no idea what the smile was about. I can't recall any pictures of him doing so.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I drew a total blank when the clue first appeared. I first wrote George Washington, figuring he has the most well-known home, then I re-thought it and went with Lincoln, figuring that he brought the war to an end, establishing peace. (Well, sort of) Then with about 3 seconds left I re-re-thought it, crossed out Lincoln, and hastily scrawled Washington just before the buzzer.

I immediately recognized the quote as "First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League", which was used to mock the Washington Senators for much of the first half of the 20th century. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to recall who the real quote was used in reference to. I guess for the rest of this week, if all else fails I'll go with the most obvious answer I can think of.

Interesting that the leader bet for the tie in FJ, instead of adding the extra $1 to ensure the win. Is there any precedent for a tie in a single week special tournament like this? My assumption is that they would have had a tiebreaker question, with the winner getting $28,800 and the loser getting $2,000 for second place. Talk about a high-stakes question! Does anyone have any knowledge that this isn't the case. I can't imagine that both players would get to keep their winnings, but I guess I could see it going both ways. If they do allow co-champions, then that was a hell of a gesture by Dillon to potentially allow his opponent to win an extra $26,800.
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
Agreed. After yesterday's clue, though, I just simplified it and figured if they ask about "first", it's probably Washington. I have no idea what the smile was about. I can't recall any pictures of him doing so.
Possibly a sly reference to the urban legend that President Washington had wooden dentures?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alamble wrote:
econgator wrote:
Possibly a sly reference to the urban legend that President Washington had wooden dentures?
Wasn't a subtle one there. I've seen the display at Mount Vernon, and it discredits the "wooden teeth" thing. It does show his dentures, mostly made from cow teeth.

http://www.mountvernon.org/visit/plan/i ... /pid/1340/ (no pix, but does talk about a current display about the things.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:I drew a total blank when the clue first appeared. I first wrote George Washington, figuring he has the most well-known home, then I re-thought it and went with Lincoln, figuring that he brought the war to an end, establishing peace. (Well, sort of) Then with about 3 seconds left I re-re-thought it, crossed out Lincoln, and hastily scrawled Washington just before the buzzer.

I immediately recognized the quote as "First in war, first in peace, and last in the American League", which was used to mock the Washington Senators for much of the first half of the 20th century. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to recall who the real quote was used in reference to. I guess for the rest of this week, if all else fails I'll go with the most obvious answer I can think of.

Interesting that the leader bet for the tie in FJ, instead of adding the extra $1 to ensure the win. Is there any precedent for a tie in a single week special tournament like this? My assumption is that they would have had a tiebreaker question, with the winner getting $28,800 and the loser getting $2,000 for second place. Talk about a high-stakes question! Does anyone have any knowledge that this isn't the case. I can't imagine that both players would get to keep their winnings, but I guess I could see it going both ways. If they do allow co-champions, then that was a hell of a gesture by Dillon to potentially allow his opponent to win an extra $26,800.
People's exhibit A: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3081

Five clues got by me tonight, so I don't have to kick myself over any one clue for missing a perfecto. Too much info got me on the Ariel Q as I had a moment's hesitation whether it was Ariel or her daughter Melody.

The other four: Butterfingers, OT Sarah, hip hop and milligram all have varying degrees of should'ves attached to them.

George Washington was the guess for the FJ clue with 85% confidence. The First quote and home led to him. The smile bit didn't help, but it was not enough to worry about either.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Kudos to the kids' wagers too.
Rahul didn't cover the girl (whose name I forget).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

and Dillon didn't cover Rahul! he was nice and offered the tie. (And why not, not like he'll have to face him again "tomorrow.")
ETA: oops, didn't know they'd've done a tie-breaker

oh, and FJ was insta: "First in war..." first in peace, and first in the heartsof his countrymen hit me right away.
Last edited by Paucle on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I drew a total blank when the clue first appeared. I first wrote George Washington, figuring he has the most well-known home, then I re-thought it and went with Lincoln, figuring that he brought the war to an end, establishing peace. (Well, sort of) Then with about 3 seconds left I re-re-thought it, crossed out Lincoln, and hastily scrawled Washington just before the buzzer.

Five clues got by me tonight, so I don't have to kick myself over any one clue for missing a perfecto. Too much info got me on the Ariel Q as I had a moment's hesitation whether it was Ariel or her daughter Melody.

The other four: Butterfingers, OT Sarah, hip hop and milligram all have varying degrees of should'ves attached to them.

George Washington was the guess for the FJ clue with 85% confidence. The First quote and home led to him. The smile bit didn't help, but it was not enough to worry about either.
Thanks for the link to the Kids Week episode with the tiebreaker question. Just like tonight's show, that kid also escaped unscathed after making a potentially catastrophic error by leaving off that $1. In that case, his opponents were tied, so he left himself open to the possibility of a three-way tiebreaker question.

Interesting to see the 5 clues that you missed, all of which I knew, while you must have known all of the ones that I missed: Bartholomew, Queen of Sheba, Kenya, and tabby. I take great pride in getting more right than you tonight, (even in Kids' Week) since I have seen some of the scores that you have posted before and I am rarely on the same level. However, I don't penalize myself for wrong answers, as even if I am unsure I tend to say the answer out loud just to see if I am right, so it is hard to tell how many of the 56 I got tonight that I would have been unwilling to buzz in for and risk losing money. I had never heard of the Genesis story referenced, but I thought Sarah was a pretty sure bet. I figured that other than Eve, she is the only female in Genesis well-known enough to be asked about on Kids' Week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had the kid that won bet $5,200 (his biggest safe bet) on the penultimate clue DD and gotten it right and then nabbed the last clue, he'd have had a lock tie going into FJ.

I knew the girl was doomed when she corrected Alex during the chat. The chat topic about the boy's imaginary empire was.......odd.

I'd never heard that Bible story either, but Sarah seemed a safe guess.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Bamaman wrote:I'd never heard that Bible story either, but Sarah seemed a safe guess.
There's a similar story about Isaac (Abraham's son) passing off his wife as his sister - like father, like son, I guess.

FJ! was another instaget (which shouldn't be surprising - this is Kids Week, after all) based on the "first in war" TOM.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Thanks for the link to the Kids Week episode with the tiebreaker question. Just like tonight's show, that kid also escaped unscathed after making a potentially catastrophic error by leaving off that $1. In that case, his opponents were tied, so he left himself open to the possibility of a three-way tiebreaker question.

Interesting to see the 5 clues that you missed, all of which I knew, while you must have known all of the ones that I missed: Bartholomew, Queen of Sheba, Kenya, and tabby. I take great pride in getting more right than you tonight, (even in Kids' Week) since I have seen some of the scores that you have posted before and I am rarely on the same level. However, I don't penalize myself for wrong answers, as even if I am unsure I tend to say the answer out loud just to see if I am right, so it is hard to tell how many of the 56 I got tonight that I would have been unwilling to buzz in for and risk losing money. I had never heard of the Genesis story referenced, but I thought Sarah was a pretty sure bet. I figured that other than Eve, she is the only female in Genesis well-known enough to be asked about on Kids' Week.
Bartholomew is in the category of can't be missed since I get paid to read Dr. Seuss. Queen of Sheba has been around as long as I've been watching game shows. I'm not great in geography, but Mombasa in Kenya is one I could poll this week if you like? ;) Tabby was one where I barely beat Rahul as I had to quickly figure out the cat name. I have no pets, but San Francisco is a city with animal lovers all around and I pick things up here and there.

I post my scores, Coryats, and clues correct occasionally to share a 1x winner level that future contestants can use as guideline. I feel honored to be some kind of watermark. You beat me by one, so way to go. Get on the show and feel confident you can at least win a game.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'm not great in geography, but Mombasa in Kenya is one I could poll this week if you like? ;)
Isn't Mombassa the "alleged" birthplace of Obama as per the birthers? I would have thought that more people would know where Mombassa is now as opposed to pre-2008 because of that?