TD 310 -- TELEVISION (FINAL RESULTS REVEALED)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 310 -- TELEVISION (FINAL RESULTS REVEALED)

Post by floridagator »

Hello, JBoarders. Welcome to Think Different 310. The new television season is upon us. In years past, the much-coveted "Fall Preview" issue of TV Guide hit the stands (until they figured out they could stretch the thing out to four weekly issues, each with 8 different covers, and the whole thing blew crazy up.) In any event, one hit per fall is good, two is above average, and three is spectacular.

THE RULES:
1. The object of this game is to provide the correct answer you think will be the least popular. The lower your total score, the better.
2. You may only use the information stored in your brain. Intentional outside research (like Googling, Binging, Yahooing, and even visiting the Museum of Television and Radio) is not allowed, and cheaters will be flagged by the NSA and could face prosecution under the Espionage Act.
3. The score for a correct answer is the number of players who give that answer.
4. The score for an incorrect answer is the CAUCUS aka SHEEP score—that is, the most popular correct answer for that question--plus 5 points.
5. There are two lifelines.
a. You may drop one question
b. You may sheep one question, in which case you will earn the sheep/caucus score.
6. Unless stated otherwise, Wikipedia.com is the final authority for what responses are correct. Spelling is not important as long as you're close, and I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. However, you’ll help your cause by spelling your answers as close to correctly as you can.
7. Ties will be broken only for the top three positions. In case of a tie, the entry that comes closest to the correct answer for the TIE-BREAKER is the winner. If there’s still a tie after the tie-breaker is applied (and TD is such weird game that it might happen), the earliest submission wins.
8. The deadline for entering this game is 11:59 pm (CDT) on Monday, September 5, which is Labor Day. Please reply by PM; don’t post your answers in the thread.

On with the TD.

1. WHO AM I? In a television cast, each member has two names: their own and that of the character they play. Both are important for students of television trivia. Pick one of these and answer it. Remember to specify the letter.

A. Character played by Isobel Sanford who lived in a dee-luxe apartment
B. Character played by Jm J. Bullock on "Too Close for Comfort"
C. Character played by Frank Sutton on "Gomer Pyle USMC"
D. Alias used by Dr. Richard Kimble in the first episode of "The Fugitive"
E. Actress who played Charlene on "Diff'rent Strokes"
F. Name of Mary's boss on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
G. Character played by Joseph Kearns on "Dennis the Menace"
H Played Sophie on "2 Broke Girls"
I. Name paired with Lutz in the title of a short-lived lawyer series
J. Star of "The Blue Knight," 1970s cop show
K. Historical figure portrayed by Lizzy Caplan on a Showtime series
L. Star of "The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock"
M. Family "Home Improvement" was centered on
N. Actor who played Dr. Preston Burke on "Grey's Anatomy"

BONUS - What do those answers have in common? (-1 point)

2. WHERE WILL YOU FIND ME? Ever since TV began, series have been set vaguely in NYC or L.A., or in Anytown, USA. Others have been given a setting with a sense of purpose. Pick one of these and identify the city in which these long-running series were set. Remember to specify the letter.

A. The Practice
B. Law & Order
C. thirtysomething
D. The Drew Carey Show
E. Hawthorne (not long running but whatever)
F. Designing Women
G. ER
H. The John Larroquette Show
I. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
J. Malcolm and Eddie
K. Walker, Texas Ranger
L. Suddenly Susan

BONUS: What do those cities (and only those cities) have in common? (-3 points)

3. THAT WHICH WE CALL A ROSE. Many short-lived series have been retooled and needed to change their names, or change their casts, or change their formats, or most often, just go away altogether. Surprisingly, many long-running and successful series have also needed to change their names, perhaps only for syndication. Pick one of these and answer it. Remember to specify the letter.

A. What late 80s/early 90s NBC sitcom had its name changed three times due to a contract dispute with the original star? (any of the four names is OK)
B. What syndicated program ran for over 20 years and was also syndicated under the names "Western Star Theater," "Trails West," "Frontier Adventure," "The Pioneers," & "Call of the West."
C. What 1950s radio and TV classic was revived in the 1960s and had the current year appended to its name to prevent its confusion with the black and white reruns?
D. What 1970s drama starring Lance Kerwin got a new title beginning with the episode in which Lance's character had sex for the first time?
E. What western that ran for fourteen seasons was syndicated under the title "Ponderosa"?
F. What was the original two-word title of SNL?
G. What groundbreaking sitcom was originally called "These Friends of Mine"?
H. What eponymous variety show was called "Toast of the Town" for over a decade?
I. What was the original title of the short-lived "Kate Loves a Mystery," referencing its origin from a long-running detective series?
J. At the start of its 10th season, the number one series of the early 1970s was given a new name, and one of its co-stars was mercilessly killed off. Give either name for the series.
K. What series was syndicated under the title, "Robert Young, Family Doctor"?
L. What classic CBS daytime game show got a new name every January 2nd?
M. Give any of the names for the anthology series that premiered in 1955 as "Disneyland."

4. SOMETHING GETS LOST IN TRANSLATION. As the undisputed leader in exporting entertainment for the entire planet, the U.S. is gratified to see much of its television output airing all over the world. Television series have to be dubbed and/or subtitled and usually renamed. These questions mostly ask not about the foreign title specifically, but the English backtranslation of the foreign translation; they don't always work back to something recognizable. Pick one of these and answer it. Remember to specify the letter.

A. What raunchy and raucous beach-based sitcom is aired in Japan with the title "Macaroni Rascals"?
B. What raunchy and raucous Chicago-based sitcom is aired in Croatia as "Marriage Waters"?
C. What decidedly unraunchy and unraucous 1970s series airs in Hungary as "The Farm Where We Live"?
D. What 1980s sitcom is "Parents in Blue Jeans" in Italy?
E. What long-running mystery series whose star was nominated eleven times for an Emmy but never won is called "Arabesque" in France?
F. What evening soap with a zip code in its title is known in Brazil as "Barred from the Ball"?
G. What cartoonist created the Fox series that airs in France as "Les Simpson"?
H. What vehicle for a teenaged Will Smith is known in Hungary as "I Came to California"?
I. What iconic 1970s sitcom is aired in Germany as "Three Boys and Three Girls"?
J. What classic detective series is "Two Hundred Dollars A Day Plus Expenses" in France?
K. What series featuring chemistry teacher Walter White is titled "Total Suckage" in Hungary?
L. Name any of the American hosts of the classic game show known in Poland as "Familiada"?
M. What 1980s sitcom airs in Brazil as "Dudes and Squares"?
N. What Neal Patrick Harris vehicle is called "That's How It Happened" in Portugal?

5. NEVER WATCHED IT, BUT I CAN'T GET THAT THEME OUT OF MY HEAD. A series can benefit by a catchy theme, especially one becoming a hit record; or by having a theme song that tells the backstory (like "The Beverly Hillbillies" or "Gilligan's Island"). A theme can also be an existing and well-known song that brings about some synergy or telesis or other buzz word. Pick one and answer it. Remember to specify the letter.

A. What former teen idol composed "Johnny's Theme," the opening theme for "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"?
B. What film icon of the 1930s and later wrote the words to "Life Is Beautiful," the closing theme for "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"?
C. Alan Thicke is best known for starring in the sitcom "Growing Pains," but what earlier sitcom did he co-write the theme for?
D. The Norman Lear black comedy soap opera "All That Glitters" ran for only 65 daily episodes. It might be best remembered for its rejected theme song, written by a famous singer-songwriter and later made famous in a duet by him and an even more famous singer. Name the composer of "You Don't Bring Me Flowers."
E. What film composer wrote the edgy theme for "Mission: Impossible"?
F. What man sang "The Love Boat" theme under the opening titles?
G. What Beatles song served as the theme for "The Wonder Years"?
H. What Beatles song served as the theme for "Providence"?
I. What Beatles song served as the theme for "Life Goes On"?
J. What Billy Joel hit was used as the theme of "Bosom Buddies"?
K. What singer-songwriter from a famous musical family wrote "Thank You for Being a Friend," used as the theme of "The Golden Girls"?
L. The first song to win an Emmy award was written for the 1955 production of Thornton Wilder's play "Our Town," starring Frank Sinatra. This song became even more famous three decades later when it was used for "Married ... with Children." Name the song.
M. Who originated the theme for "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"?
N. Who starred in the series that used as its theme "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays?

6-9. I WANT THAT AWARD! Since the coming of the Emmy Awards, the industry has had a well-accepted yardstick by which to judge outstanding acting. An elite group has enjoyed repeated wins in their category.

6. Name an actor (male) who's won the Emmy Award for lead actor in a drama series more than once. There are twelve such men, eleven famous and one infamous.

7. Name an actor (male) who's won the Emmy Award for lead actor in a comedy series more than once. There are fourteen such men.

8. Name an actress who's won the Emmy Award for lead actress in a drama series more than once. There are seventeen such women.

9. Name an actress who's won the Emmy Award for lead actress in a comedy series more than once. There are twelve such women.

BONUS - Name the person who won an Emmy for comedy and then won an Emmy for drama for playing the same character. (-2 points)

10. WHAT DO I RATE? Television ratings are an obsession not only for people in the industry but for viewers too. Low ratings invariably mean your new favorite will be gone before you've learned everyone's names. High ratings often mean your favorite has years left to run. So name a prime-time series that's been number one for the season. Do not include any sports (e.g., Monday Night Football).

TIE-BREAKER: What was the average rating (in percentage) of "I Love Lucy" during its six seasons?
Last edited by floridagator on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: TD 310 -- TELEVISION (NOW OPEN)

Post by Bamaman »

For #1. on the ones where we are asked for a character, do you need the last name or is just the first name OK?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Fun quiz that gave me some serious flashbacks. Thanks for hosting!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote:For #1. on the ones where we are asked for a character, do you need the last name or is just the first name OK?
Enough information to identify the character. If the Q is what character did Don Adams play on "Get Smart," either "Max" or "Smart" (or even "86") is fine, but if the Q is what character does Yeardley Smith play on "The Simpsons," an answer of "Simpson" will be painfully incorrect.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

For Q10, just broadcast, or including cable? Total viewers, or 18-49? I have no idea if any of these would produce different answers, but I would have different guesses.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

xxaaaxx wrote:For Q10, just broadcast, or including cable? Total viewers, or 18-49? I have no idea if any of these would produce different answers, but I would have different guesses.
Total viewers. Broadcast only. #1 for the season.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

floridagator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:For Q10, just broadcast, or including cable? Total viewers, or 18-49? I have no idea if any of these would produce different answers, but I would have different guesses.
Total viewers. Broadcast only. #1 for the season.
Total meaning reruns and original showing, added up over 52 weeks, or total viewers meaning average number of viewers only for original showings?

Been thinking about that second bonus on and off all day - finally hit me - it's a good thing I watched far too much television in my day.

Is there a form for submissions?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

^ and ^^^ That information is not necessary to solve the question. Remember, no research is allowed. The task is to come up with some series that were #1 and then pick the one that the fewest others do.

Don't forget you can drop one question and sheep one.
macrae1234
Valued Contributor

Post by macrae1234 »

New to the game where do I post answers?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

macrae1234 wrote:New to the game where do I post answers?
Don't post them - send them in a message to floridagator. (Click on floridagator's name, which should then take you to floridagator's profile page. There's a link there to send a private message.)
Last edited by Magna on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macrae1234
Valued Contributor

Post by macrae1234 »

Thanks
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

floridagator wrote:^ and ^^^ That information is not necessary to solve the question. Remember, no research is allowed. The task is to come up with some series that were #1 and then pick the one that the fewest others do.

Don't forget you can drop one question and sheep one.
A few years ago, I read a lot about Nielsen ratings, particularly for the '70s and '80s. I'll spare everyone the details about why it came up, but the distinction I asked about is important. I'd like to give an answer that I know was a #1 with one method, but probably not the other due to the nature of the show. I almost never see ratings reported except as dealing with first-run season-long averages. Which is odd, because reruns have commercials, too, and it might be interesting to know what shows wind up being seen the most. Advertisers have that information, but the press only picks up on part of it. Anyway, I just wanted to know because if you're using the full season data including reruns, I should pick something obvious that was in the #1 range for many years because it's not something I've read about.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

THE ENTRANTS - NOW FINAL, PLEASE HOLLER ASAP IF YOU DON'T SEE YOUR NAME
Spoiler
coolcah36
osxpert
bamaman
econgator
ChexMix
Cat Hammarskjold
Category 13
xxaaaxx
jkbrat
tabby
peachbox
sillymonkey
magna
dott888
lindap
clprez
mitchparov
macrae1234
jev15
immaf
quarterrican
mystcmage
mujason
rackme32
9021amyers
gamawire
totebags
elendilpickle
markbarrett
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
floridagator

Re: TD 310 -- TELEVISION (PARTICIPANTS LISTED)

Post by floridagator »

Get your entries in now in this popular category. Some of the questions have 16-17 possible answers, making singletons a real possibility. Also, -6 points of bonuses are offered. Don't let the long weekend make you forget to enter.
floridagator

Re: TD 310 -- TELEVISION (LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO DEADLINE)

Post by floridagator »

About nine hours to the deadline. Come compete with some of the best and brightest. Many of the questions are very easy, and there are plenty of opportunities for singletons and -6 points of bonuses. Is it wrong to believe that everyone here watches TV?
floridagator

Re: TD 310 -- TELEVISION (QUESTION 1 REVEALED)

Post by floridagator »

Thanks to all who participated. This was fun to write.

QUESTION 1. NAME THESE CHARACTERS OR THEIR ACTORS.

Family of "Home Improvement" - TAYLOR - 6 responses SHEEP!
coolcah36
gamawire
magna
mystcmage
osxpert
totebags

LOUISE JEFFERSON - 4
clprez
elendilpickle
jkbrat
tabby

SERGEANT CARTER - 3
Category 13
markbarrett
rackme32

LOU GRANT - 3
immaf
mitchparov
sillymonkey

VIRGINIA JOHNSON (of Masters & Johnson) - 3
9021amyers
econgator
xxaaaxx

MONROE FICUS - 2
Cat Hammarskjold
mujason

JENNIFER COOLIDGE - 2
ChexMix
jev15

GEORGE KENNEDY - 2
lindap
peachbox

LINCOLN (alias used by Dr. Richard Kimble) - 1 (SINGLETON!)
bamaman

MR. WILSON - 1 (SINGLETON!)
dott888

GUY MADISON - 1 (SINGLETON!)
macrae1234

ISAIAH WASHINGTON - 1 (SINGLETON!)
quarterrican

NO SHEEP, NO WRONG ANSWERS, NO DROPS!

UNUSED: Janet Jackson, Eisenhower (& Lutz)

BONUS:

Everyone who answered got -1 point for recognizing the names of U.S. presidents.

-1 point for
9021amyers
bamaman
Cat Hammarskjold
ChexMix
clprez
coolcah36
econgator
gamawire
jev15
lindap
macrae1234
magna
markbarrett
mujason
mystcmage
osxpert
peachbox
quarterrican
rackme32
tabby
totebags
xxaaaxx

STANDINGS AFTER Q1 and its bonus:

bamaman 0
macrae1234 0
quarterrican 0
Cat Hammarskjold 1
ChexMix 1
dott888 1
jev15 1
lindap 1
mujason 1
peachbox 1
9021amyers 2
econgator 2
markbarrett 2
rackme32 2
xxaaaxx 2
Category 13 3
clprez 3
immaf 3
mitchparov 3
sillymonkey 3
tabby 3
elendilpickle 4
jkbrat 4
coolcah36 5
gamawire 5
magna 5
mystcmage 5
osxpert 5
totebags 5
floridagator

Re: TD 310 -- TELEVISION (QUESTION 2 REVEALED)

Post by floridagator »

QUESTION 2. CITY SETTINGS

CLEVELAND (Drew Carey) - 6 responses - SHEEP
Cat Hammarskjold
ChexMix
coolcah36
dott888
gamawire
xxaaaxx

ATLANTA (Designing Women) - 5
9021amyers
jev15
magna
markbarrett
peachbox

ST. LOUIS (John Larroquette) - 5
bamaman
lindap
macrae1234
mujason
totebags

MINNEAPOLIS (Mary Tyler Moore) - 4
elendilpickle
jkbrat
rackme32
sillymonkey

BOSTON (The Practice) - 3
econgator
immaf
tabby

CHICAGO (ER) - 3
mitchparov
osxpert
quarterrican

NEW YORK (Law & Order) - 1 (SINGLETON!)
mystcmage

PHILADELPHIA (thirtysomething) - (SINGLETON!)
clprez

DROP
Category 13

NO SHEEP OR WRONG ANSWERS!

UNUSED
E - Richmond (Hawthorne), J - Kansas City (Malcolm & Eddie), K - Dallas (Walker, Texas Ranger), L - San Francisco (Suddenly Susan)

-3 POINT BONUS

Kudos to mystmcge, macrae1234, and mujason for recognizing the 12 cities with Federal Reserve Banks, and especially to Cat Hammarskjold who also noticed that the letters for the clues corresponded with the block number on the money that match the bank's number (Boston A-1, New York B-2, etc.). So there were three TOMs: the letters, those cities "(and only those cities)", and if you happened to figure out Richmond and wondered "What the hell is Richmond doing on that list?"

Wrong guesses were AFL football teams, AL cities, former state capitals, four sports teams, largest cities in their states, MLS, multiple Big Four teams, NL cities, named after presidents, professional baseball, current state capitals, and Super Bowl cities.

Scores after two questions and their bonuses:

macrae1234 2
quarterrican 3
mystcmage 3
mujason 3
Category 13 3
Cat Hammarskjold 4
clprez 4
econgator 5
bamaman 5
mitchparov 6
lindap 6
tabby 6
peachbox 6
immaf 6
jev15 6
rackme32 6
ChexMix 7
9021amyers 7
dott888 7
markbarrett 7
sillymonkey 7
osxpert 8
xxaaaxx 8
elendilpickle 8
jkbrat 8
totebags 10
magna 10
coolcah36 11
gamawire 11
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, at least I wasn't overlooking something simple :lol: Too many (wrong) sports, geography, and history-related guesses to sift through in my head. With Richmond, I could've swept them all aside and maybe gotten it right, but I don't think I ever saw a single episode of Hawthorne and only vaguely remembered what it was about. Nice bonus.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well done indeed but L&O is a singleton?
macrae1234
Valued Contributor

Post by macrae1234 »

I can see L&O being a singleton nobody wanted to say the easiest one