TD 316: Put Me in, Coach, for the MLB Themed TD!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

TD 316: Put Me in, Coach, for the MLB Themed TD!

Post by StevenH »

Welcome, JBoarders, to what I believe is the second Major League Baseball themed TD game on this board!

First, I want to say that I am posting this a little early since I am going to make the deadline on Sunday (10/16). I work two jobs during the week and would like to get most or all of the reveal knocked out on Sunday.

There are a total of 12 questions on this quiz.

The 12 Questions

1. The number of points for a correct response to a question will be equal to the total number of people, including you, who give that same correct response. Your objective is to give the correct response to each question that you believe will be the least used by everyone else who enters the contest.
2. The number of points for an incorrect response to a question will be equal to the number of people who give the most popular answer (or one of the answers that is tied for the most popular) +5.
3. You may DROP any one of the twelve questions, for a score of 0 points. Since the lowest cumulative score wins there is no good reason not to use your drop.
4. You have one additional lifeline: you may also use your WILD CARD on any one of the Twelve questions. This means that the number of points that you receive for that question will be equal to the total number of people, including you, who also play the wild card on that question. Using your wild card is optional, but there is no bonus for not using it.
5. Due to the limited scope of this quiz, there may be people or teams who are the correct response to more than one question. There might also be people or teams who are mentioned in the text of one question and then are also a correct response to a different question.

Basic Rules
1. You may only submit your answers by private messaging them to me. Please do not post any of your answers in this thread.
2. You may only use what is already in your brain to answer the questions! Absolutely NO CHEATING is allowed! This includes but is not limited to searching the Internet, looking at a book, or asking another person for help. Everyone is welcome to enter this contest; all I ask in return for putting in the time to run it is that you play honestly.
3. Scoring is by addition, and the lowest cumulative score wins.
4. Ties will be broken in the following order: 1) lowest multiplied score on the eleven questions that you don't drop, 2) earliest entry received
5. If you want to change any of your answers after you have submitted then you may do so, as long you give me your new answer(s) before the deadline and you haven’t purposely looked up the answer(s). However, if you do choose to change any of your answers then your spot in the order that the entries were received will be moved to reflect the timing of your new answer(s) being submitted to me. And this will apply to your most recent revised answer(s) if you send more than one correction to me. I don’t anticipate that any tiebreakers will get to the “time of entry received” point, but I still wanted to point this out.
6. You’re welcome to plead your case publicly or privately if you disagree with a ruling that I make, but I still reserve the right to accept, prompt, or ding any response to any of the questions. And if I have to prompt you for an answer(s) then your place in the order in which the entries were received will stay the same, but you are still responsible for sending me a new answer before the deadline at the risk of your original answer being ruled incorrect.
7. Last names should be acceptable in all cases, but I will prompt you by private message if need be.
8. If you need a clarification then feel free to ask in this thread or by private messaging me, but if your question may potentially spoil any answers for any of the questions then please ask me via private message.
9. The deadline to submit your answers to me is Sunday October 16, 2016, by 1:00 PM Eastern. However, I will accept late entries as long as I receive them before I start the reveal.

Best of luck to everyone who enters! I hope that a good time will be had by all.
Last edited by StevenH on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH

Re: TD 316: Put Me in, Coach, for the MLB Themed TD!

Post by StevenH »

1. The Yankees have won 27 World Series, which is more than double the number that has been won by any other franchise. The Yankees also have 13 World Series losses, which is the most of any team. Identify 1 of the 8 franchises that has beaten the Yankees in the World Series.

2. The Major League Baseball Hall of Fame elected its first class in 1936, and opened its doors in 1939. Identify 1 of the 26 individuals who was elected to the MLB Hall of Fame between January 1, 1936, and December 31, 1939.

3. The 1919 Chicago White Sox team has been nicknamed the “Black Sox” because 8 of its members were banned for life from Major League Baseball for throwing the World Series against the Cincinnati Reds. Identify any player who was on the roster for the 1919 Chicago White Sox.

4. Name 1 of the 15 MLB players who, since January 1, 1894, has had a hit streak of at least 35 games* in regular season play. *Hit streaks that occurred over 2 consecutive regular seasons are fair game for this question.

5. Octavio Dotel is a former pitcher who set the MLB record for having played for the most teams. Identify 1 of the 13 teams that Octavio Dotel played for between 1999 and 2013.

6. Identify a former pitcher who meets all 5 of the following criteria:
a) played in the MLB
b) began his playing career during the 1900 season or later
c) is a current member of the MLB Hall of Fame
d) retired with at least 100 but no more than 299 career wins
e) retired with 99 or fewer career saves

7. Name 1 of the 22 retired MLB players whose playing career spanned 4 different “modern era” (1900s or later) decades.

8. There was no way that StevenH would run an MLB themed TD without having a question that pays tribute to ‘90s Braves players. Pick out* any 1 of the 10 former players who is described below who played for the Atlanta Braves at some point in the 1990s and identify him. *You must include the letter with your response, and it must match correctly with your identified player in order for your response to be ruled correct.

a) An outfielder for the Braves from 1991 to 1994, he is the only person who has ever played in both a World Series and a Super Bowl

b) This left-handed pitcher compiled a 50-36 record and a 3.79 ERA during the first 4 seasons of his career--with the Braves--from 1990-1993; his career went downhill after an injury in 1993, although he was the winning pitcher in game 4 of the 1995 NLCS--which sent the Braves to the World Series--and he was also the winning pitcher in game 4 of that year’s World Series; he signed with the Red Sox as a free agent in 1997

c) Known for his lack of speed on the base paths, this first baseman scored the winning run in game 7 of the 1992 NLCS against the Pirates when he beat Barry Bonds’ offline throw from left field to home plate with his infamous slide

d) In regards to the play that is being described in letter c of this question: This third string catcher and first baseman hit the single off of Stan Belinda that drove in both David Justice and the player who is the correct answer to letter c

e) In game 1 of the 1999 World Series, this relief pitcher gave up a two-run single to Paul O’Neill and then walked Jim Leyritz with the bases loaded; a few months later he gave an infamous interview to Sports Illustrated

f) This catcher played on the Braves from 1992 to 2003; his 243 career home runs as a catcher are the 8th most all time for that position

g) This outfielder won three World Series during the 1980s with three different teams—the Phillies, the Cardinals, and the Royals. When his stint with the Royals ended he reportedly bought a pistol with which he planned to murder the team’s then-General Manager, John Schuerholz, but backed out of the plan. He then played for the Braves from 1988 to 1992. In the 1991 World Series he hit a home run in all three of the games that were played in Atlanta. He then made a critical base running error in the 8th inning of game 7 where he should have been able to score on a double by Terry Pendleton but only made it to 3rd base

h) A second baseman for the Braves between 1988 and 1997, he had false teeth and holds the career record for most plate appearances without being hit by a pitch

i) Nicknamed “The Big Cat,” this first baseman played for the Braves in 1998 and 2000, but missed the 1999 season while he was battling cancer

j) Though he had a reputation among Braves fans for sucking, this shortstop who played for the team from 1987 through 1997 made the NL All-Star Teams in 1993 and 1997 and hit 3 home runs in one game in a 1992 regular season game against the Cubs

9. Identify an active or former Major League Baseball pitcher who, as of October 8, 2016, had or currently has 300 or more career saves.

10. Pictured below, in spoiler boxes, are 10 former players who some would argue should be in the MLB Hall of Fame, but have not been elected. Identify* any 1 of the 10 former MLB players who is pictured below. *You do NOT need to specify which picture you are referring to with your answer.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

11. Pick out* any one of the letters below and identify the former MLB player who holds the record or distinction that is being described. *You must include the letter with your response, and it must match correctly with your identified player in order for your response to be ruled correct.

a) He is the only player who has hit two grand slams in the same inning

b) While working as a correspondent, this former player (also a former manager at the time) compared notes with writer Hugh Fullerton on plays by the White Sox in the 1919 World Series that he believed were suspicious

c) On June 10, 1944, he became the youngest person ever to play in a Major League Baseball game (15 years and 316 days)

d) He has the highest career winning percentage for a pitcher who won at least 300 games (.680 on a 300-141 record) and holds the modern era record for most times leading his league in ERA (9)

e) He holds the career record for hitting the most doubles (792)

f) This pitcher holds the career record for most balks (90)

g) He holds the record for most consecutive seasons of winning at least 15 games as a pitcher (17)

h) This former closer holds the record for converting the highest number of consecutive regular season save opportunities (84)

i) He is the only person besides Don Larsen who has thrown a no-hitter in a postseason game

j) He holds the modern era record for hitting the most RBIs in one season (191)

12. Name 1 of the 14 MLB players who accomplished the feat of hitting 4 home runs in one game in the 1900 season or later.
Last edited by StevenH on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Entrants
AleBelly
MarkBarrett
clt013
Peachbox
gamawire
Rackme32
jev15
Prizes
oduguy22
hbomb1947

mitchparov
econgator
geolawyerman
colonialrampage
dott888
Vintsanity
RandyG
BigDaddyMatty
Dadoftwins
xxaaaxx

Cat Hammarskjold
goforthetie
9021amyers
Category 13
Bamaman
BobF
1stlvlthinker
Last edited by StevenH on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 26 times in total.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Questions have now been posted
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Bump. We are up to 8 entries, with still 6 days to go.

Also, I would like to remind everyone that you are allowed to DROP one question for a score 0 points. So please remember to use your drop.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Clarification

For question 7 I am referring to players' playing careers only. I edited the question to clarify that, as some of the entries that I received named players who had playing and coaching careers that spanned 4 decades.

Sorry for any confusion.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Bump.

Up to 11 entries, with about 4 days to go.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Time for a b-b-b-b-b-b-ump!
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

BUMP

Up to 16 entries, with about 24 hours to go
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

BUMP

We're up to 22 entries. The official deadline is in 2 hours, but since I won't be able to start the reveal until later this afternoon/evening there is extra time to submit your answers.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Due to some unforeseen computer difficulties I will probably not be able to start the reveal until tomorrow evening.

So sorry for the delay!
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'll try to sneak an entry in then :)
Now swimming in the J! pool.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

StevenH wrote:Due to some unforeseen computer difficulties I will probably not be able to start the reveal until tomorrow evening.

So sorry for the delay!
Well, it looks like I can't send a PM so I tried an email. I should probably post more.
clprez

Post by clprez »

1stlvlthinker wrote:
StevenH wrote:Due to some unforeseen computer difficulties I will probably not be able to start the reveal until tomorrow evening.

So sorry for the delay!
Well, it looks like I can't send a PM so I tried an email. I should probably post more.
It should work now. You just needed at least 3 posts before you can send a PM.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

clprez wrote:
1stlvlthinker wrote:

So sorry for the delay!
It should work now. You just needed at least 3 posts before you can send a PM.
Well, I sent one in. I'm pretty sure I'll do poorly, but oh well :)
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

1. The Yankees have won 27 World Series, which is more than double the number that has been won by any other franchise. The Yankees also have 13 World Series losses, which is the most of any team. Identify 1 of the 8 franchises that has beaten the Yankees in the World Series.

Pirates--5
AleBelly
BigDaddyMatty
xxaaaxx
goforthetie
Category 13

Marlins--5
clt013
oduguy22
econgator
DadofTwins
9021amyers

Diamondbacks--5
Rackme32
Prizes
mitchparov
Vintsanity
1stlvlthinker

Reds--4
MarkBarrett
hbomb1947
geolawyerman
Cat Hammarskjold

Dodgers--3
Peachbox
gamawire
BobF

Braves--3
jev15
RandyG
Bamaman

Giants--1
colonialrampage

Cardinals--1
dott888
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

2. The Major League Baseball Hall of Fame elected its first class in 1936, and opened its doors in 1939. Identify 1 of the 26 individuals who was elected to the MLB Hall of Fame between January 1, 1936, and December 31, 1939.

Christy Mathewson--6
AleBelly
clt013
Peachbox
Rackme32
Prizes
dott888

Walter Johnson--5
hbomb1947
mitchparov
geolawyerman
Vintsanity
BobF

Ty Cobb--4
gamawire
DadofTwins
Category 13
1stlvlthinker

Honus Wagner--3
oduguy22
9021amyers
Bamaman

Cap Anson--2
MarkBarrett
goforthetie

Grover Cleveland “Pete” Alexander--2
jev15
Cat Hammarskjold

Tris Speaker--2
econgator
colonialrampage¬

George Sisler--1
RandyG

Cy Young--1
BigDaddyMatty

Nap Lajoie--1
xxaaaxx

Correct Answers Not Given
source: http://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/ ... /1936-1939
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

3. The 1919 Chicago White Sox team has been nicknamed the “Black Sox” because 8 of its members were banned for life from Major League Baseball for throwing the World Series against the Cincinnati Reds. Identify any player who was on the roster for the 1919 Chicago White Sox.

Joe Jackson--6
gamawire
Prizes
oduguy22
mitchparov
dott888
Vintsanity

Ed Cicotte--4
AleBelly
DadofTwins
BobF
1stlvlthinker

Buck Weaver--4
clt013
jev15
9021amyers
Bamaman

Chuck Gandil--3
RandyG
Cat Hammarskjold
goforthetie

Oscar “Happy” Felsch--1
econgator

DROP
MarkBarrett
Rackme32
hbomb1947
geolawyerman
colonialrampage
BigDaddyMatty
xxaaaxx
Category 13

INCORRECT--11
Peachbox (Hal Chase)

Leader Board after Question 3
colonialrampage--3
MarkBarrett--6
BigDaddyMatty--6
xxaaaxx--6
RandyG--7
econgator--8
jev15--9
hbomb1947--9
geolawyerman--9
Cat Hammarskjold--9
Category 13--9
goforthetie--10
Bamaman--10
Rackme32--11
9021amyers--12
BobF--12
gamawire--13
dott888--13
Dadoftwins--13
1stlvlthinker--13
oduguy22--14
AleBelly--15
clt013--15
mitchparov--16
Vintsanity--16
Prizes--17
Peachbox--20
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

4. Name 1 of the 15 MLB players who, since January 1, 1894, has had a hit streak of at least 35 games* in regular season play. *Hit streaks that occurred over 2 consecutive regular seasons are fair game for this question.

Pete Rose--5
gamawire
xxaaaxx
Cat Hammarskjold
BobF
1stlvlthinker

Paul Molitor--4
clt013
hbomb1947
dott888
DadofTwins

Willie Keeler--3
AleBelly
Peachbox
Prizes

George Sisler--3
mitchparov
econgator
Vintsanity

Jimmy Rollins--2
BigDaddyMatty
9021amyers

WILD CARD--2
colonialrampage
goforthetie

Joe DiMaggio--1 :lol:
MarkBarrett

Ty Cobb--1
Rackme32

Luis Castillo--1
jev15

DROP
RandyG

INCORRECT--10
oduguy22 (Alex Rodriguez)
geolawyerman (Ichiro Suzuki—highest was 29)
Category 13 (George Brett—highest was 30)
Bamaman (Benito Santiago—highest was 34)

Correct Answers Not Given
Bill Dahlen
Tommy Holmes
Gene DeMontreville
Fred Clarke
Chase Utley
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

5. Octavio Dotel is a former pitcher who set the MLB record for having played for the most teams. Identify 1 of the 13 teams that Octavio Dotel played for between 1999 and 2013.

New York Mets--7
clt013
jev15
econgator
geolawyerman
RandyG
DadofTwins
BobF

WILD CARD--3
mitchparov
Category 13
1stlvlthinker